Basketball is a Contact Sport

Who was the "Tough Guy" on the CWebb, Vlade, Peja, Christie, Bibby, BobbyJ, Hedo and Pollard team?

I know Doug gave Rick Fox a nice upper cut to his smarmy chin. While a good defender, DC was not an enforcer type. BobbyJ would get in the paint and rebound with the Trees. But while tough, not a match for Ben Wallace.

Brad Miller came along in 03-04. But was not your prototypical "Tough Guy".

IMO it was not until 05-06 until the Kings got a couple of "Tough Guys" in Ron Ron and Bonzi. But that team was not as good as the CWebb led team.

I think maybe what we are looking for here is intestinal fortitude, better known as guts. Cowboys call it sand. Those 02-03 Kings had sand.

It would be nice to have someone that could set a mean pick. Maybe some patience, time to grow and some time in the weight room will give the current young Kings squad the toughness to shed the label of "soft" that is being hung on them?

We bring up the topic of physical and mental toughness, two keys to winning in the NBA. We identify the fact that Kings are lacking in this department and people want to talk about lasagna, pizza and Lu Dort.

Basketball is a contact sport alright, but it has a lot of non-contact tuxedo wearing fans.

Last edited:
Fox is very tough but isn’t respected. He’d be at the line 15 times a night if he were on a different roster
I agree with you NewArena. The Magic figured out that the only way to stop DA Fox is to just keep banging on him and fouling him. All you have to do is be subtle about it.

As someone who played pickup hoop all throughout my youth I can tell you for a fact it's a contact sport b/c now everything hurts.
I played for money on the playground starting at age 10, I played every day for 2 years in high school and on a high school team. I played intramurals in college, then industrial leagues until age 40, then city leagues until age 51. I don't really feel basketball injuries except for ankles.

It was horse wrecks and skiing were I got hurt really bad multiple times. Motorcycle wrecks.

Last edited:
"The NBA doesn't allow contact."?? We are not watching the same sport. How do you explain the amount of times people hit the deck every game and the amount of injuries? Watch carefully what happens under the basket during every free throw. Watch people in the low post. Watch people sail through the air and get clobbered and land awkwardly. It is a contact sport alright. The issue is that the Kings play with less contact than most other teams.
Doesn’t Holmes do this?

Holmes plays hard, all the time. He ends up on the floor because he plays against humans that are extremely strong, not because he is flopping or trying to get fouls called against opposing players.

We have identified one of the Achilles' heels of this team. But people still want to joke about it. That tells me that the conclusion is valid, but that a lot of fans don't get it because they have never played competitive basketball.