Basketball is a Contact Sport

The Kings have had finesse teams for a decade or more, with a few exceptions. Cousins was a physical player but had the emotional toughness of a child.

Guys like Lin and Whiteside add a physical presence but cannot stay on the floor. The Kings do play soft. Fox takes a beating every game and is taking on a leadership role, but he is out sized all the time. Holmes is pretty physical. Barnes is some of the time. Metu and Robinson are pretty physical. Bagley actually has taken a couple of charges recently. But for the most part the Kings play softer than their opponents.

The game was dominated by big center for many years, guys like Wilt, Shaq, Bill, Ben, and Nate. You don't need their full names to know who we mean. The game has changed with a larger key, defensive 3 seconds, arc under the basket, longer 3 point line, etc. All designed to open up the middle.

The Kings desperately need a player like Shumpert for the same reason they needed him a few years ago.
I guess some players grow up playing in leagues and get into AAU early in their careers. They play with refs a lot.

We grew up playing on the street for money. Later I played in the neigbors' outside court against guys that were all going to ACC schools on scholarships. Then it was industrial leagues for 30 years. I did not have the talent to play in college but learned early on the power of playing the hard-nosed physical style.

In high school I had my nose cauterized twice, I caught an elbow in practice and the side of my face was black and blue for six weeks which intimidated people. I broke ribs several times on inadvertent plays. Floor burns and hitting the deck are part of the game at all levels. Like a guy I used to work for once used to say
"Toughen up Linda."

Tetsujin

The Game Thread Dude
In high school I had my nose cauterized twice, I caught an elbow in practice and the side of my face was black and blue for six weeks which intimidated people. I broke ribs several times on inadvertent plays. Floor burns and hitting the deck are part of the game at all levels. Like a guy I used to work for once used to say
"Toughen up Linda."
Was he sexually harassing Linda while saying this?

Sure the line is dated. It was used only in reference to men.
Joke all you want, but this is one of the issues that is at the heart of the Kings poor record in the last ten years.

The lack of response on this thread suggests that Kings' fans on this forum know less about basketball than I thought.
Basketball is mental warfare especially at the pro level. It is a contact sport without pads. There is no getting around it.
Players like Shumpert were worth their weight in gold because he called out people that avoid contact, and the physical style that is required to win.

Kings are soft. That's nothing new. To their credit, they've played tougher recently, but you can't fix mentality. When your starting two guard and power forward measure their impact by their touches and offensive output only, they'll always be soft. Buddy needs to go. Bags is improving, so he's TBD.

Nothing wrong with playing tough but this ain't the 80s and the NBA doesn't allow contact anymore unless you're an offensive player trying to trick the refs in to blowing the whistle for you. I wish they'd go back to the old style but they never will to "protect" their investments.

The Kings aren't a Shumpert away from winning. They're a star player away.

The lack of response on this thread suggests that Kings' fans on this forum know less about basketball than I thought.
Basketball is mental warfare especially at the pro level. It is a contact sport without pads. There is no getting around it.
Players like Shumpert were worth their weight in gold because he called out people that avoid contact, and the physical style that is required to win.
I would have to wonder if it is not perceived like the WWE is. In terms of the fans. Theatrics. If I got in a fight with a wrestler, male or female, they would have the ability to do a lot of hurt. But, when watching we minimize the physicality because they should be hurt but not. Theatrics.

Vlade was known as a flopper. He took umbrage at the suggestion after playing Shaq showing the red welts on his chest. The theatrics took away from the physicality.

How often do you see a player go into death throes and on review there was little to no contact? Theatrics again. It takes away from the legitimate physicality. What is real and what is play acting?

You can now give me change from my two cents.

"Y'all didn't respond to me so obviously y'all are dumb."

Wow.

Way to make friends and influence people.
I like to talk about basketball with people. I don't look to people I have never met to become friends. This concept is one of the biggest things that has been lacking in the Kings' organization for years, and no one wanted to talk about it. That is disappointing. No one responded to the topic. It is not about me, and never made an insuations about people being dumb.

Last edited:
Nothing wrong with playing tough but this ain't the 80s and the NBA doesn't allow contact anymore unless you're an offensive player trying to trick the refs in to blowing the whistle for you. I wish they'd go back to the old style but they never will to "protect" their investments.

The Kings aren't a Shumpert away from winning. They're a star player away.
"The NBA doesn't allow contact."?? We are not watching the same sport. How do you explain the amount of times people hit the deck every game and the amount of injuries? Watch carefully what happens under the basket during every free throw. Watch people in the low post. Watch people sail through the air and get clobbered and land awkwardly. It is a contact sport alright. The issue is that the Kings play with less contact than most other teams.

"The NBA doesn't allow contact."?? We are not watching the same sport. How do you explain the amount of times people hit the deck every game and the amount of injuries? Watch carefully what happens under the basket during every free throw. Watch people in the low post. Watch people sail through the air and get clobbered and land awkwardly. It is a contact sport alright. The issue is that the Kings play with less contact than most other teams.
Bill Laimbeer says hi.

I agree that people on the forum are knowledgeable about the draft, trade caps, financials, statistics, and lots of other things.

When it comes to actually playing the game, I am not so sure. Comments that suggest that the NBA does not allow contact are a case in point. Some people have never played the game at any intensive level.

Sorry bud but you're out of date. Go watch a high level outdoor pickup game where guys are really making contact and watch the fluff that is the NBA and explain to me why guys hit the deck 10x more often in the NBA. It's not because there is more contact, it's because they're all flopping to try and get calls.

I’ve seen many posts on this board about how the Kings being “soft” is the main issue with the team. I think they are soft mentally and physically. Now, some of the young Kings are still growing into their bodies and I don’t want to see them play wild and hurt themselves. But there has not been enough personal pride about responding when constantly getting beat. Also, they are way too nice to opposing teams. Even D Fox, as Jerry Reynolds said, needs to be more of an S-bird on the court.
As to Kingsfans.com - none of the Kings problems can be attributed to the posters on this site. I like to have company with my misery - even from those I don’t agree. Peace Y’all.

gunks

Hall of Famer
We’ve been soft since the Bonzi/Artest season ended and I hate it!

Fox is tough, he gets beat up just about every game. Holmes is undersized but scrappy.

I’d like to think Hali is tough, he’s definitely mentally composed, but you can only throw your weight around so much when you’re 6’5 and only 175 lbs.

That’s about it unless I’m forgetting somebody off the bench who plays less than 10 minutes per. Buddy and Barnes aren’t scaring anyone out there. Bagley sure isn’t.

I haven’t really followed other teams as much as I used to, so I don’t really know any tough guys out there we can target, but I certainly hope McNair does!

I agree that people on the forum are knowledgeable about the draft, trade caps, financials, statistics, and lots of other things.

When it comes to actually playing the game, I am not so sure. Comments that suggest that the NBA does not allow contact are a case in point. Some people have never played the game at any intensive level.
I don't see anyone saying that basketball isn't a contact sport. Just comparing it with how it used to be played. Those of us who have been watching (and playing) basketball since the 70's (or prior) look at today's game as allowing very little contact compared to how it used to be.

I wonder how a player like Harden would've fared in the 80s? He plays fairly physical and has all the talent to compete, but his antics would've found him knocked to the floor a lot in those days (and not by some imaginary brush on the arm).

I remember a game in the WCF in the late 80s between Houston & LAL. If Houston won, they would go to the finals. Hakeem was having a big game & the Lakers had no answer. In the early 4th quarter (close game) the Lakers sent Mitch Kupchack in the game with one goal - to get under Hakeem's skin by any means necessary. It didn't take long before Hakeem lost his temper, turned and tried to punch Kupchack in the face. The result was the ejection of both players (mission accomplished). I can only imagine what would happen to both players in today's game.

I for one would have loved to replace Buddy with Donte Divincenzo. I’m not sure if you’d find him tough enough for your liking, but I think it’s clear that he’s a superior defender. Give me Fox, Halliburton and Divincenzo and I’ll live or die with that backcourt for the next 6-8 years.

Besides Buddy, the other real weakness in our defense is Bagley, and as you noted, he is showing some signs of improvement. If Bags is the weak link in the chain but showing signs of improvement, I can live with that. But when you’ve got two starters as weak as Buddy and Bags are (on D), that’s like spotting the other team 10-20 points. Every game.