Bagley.

He didnt seem to add any weight or strength over the summer, that would be a concern of mine because he needs improvement in that area. I still have hope but most players are not losing an entire season due to a foot sprain. He is a very young guy of course. He is likely to explode at 24, when he is up for UFA.

What have we heard so far that he's not mature or a hard worker? I haven't heard it.
He still plays like a rookie with one year in college.
His defense is suspect.
He leaves his feet on defense.
He needs to more aggressive on the boards.
He needs to work on his right hand.
He needs to become a better passer.
Watch him play. We don't need someone to tell us that he has the same weaknesses he had right out of college.
We don't need to hear it. If you do, you are hearing it from me.

dude12

Hall of Famer
He still plays like a rookie with one year in college.
His defense is suspect.
He leaves his feet on defense.
He needs to more aggressive on the boards.
He needs to work on his right hand.
He needs to become a better passer.
Watch him play. We don't need someone to tell us that he has the same weaknesses he had right out of college.
We don't need to hear it. If you do, you are hearing it from me.
And yet he put a 15 and 15 game on Bam in Bagley’s last game.

Watching him in college for a few games I was impressed and he actually had a decent shot at least the ones I watched.
For myself the jury’s out on his long term progress.

But I just don’t want him to bump up against what we are going through in regards to the Giles contract situation. As his potential and being the #2 pick I find it would be devastating if his injuries become his calling card.

I want him to not play the rest of the season or whatever happens to this season. But I want him to come back with a clean bill of health. To work closely with the team in the off season and make a big progression in his game.
It would be disappointing if when that time comes he doesn’t become the player we had hoped he would be.
And that would be a waste of maybe what could of been a great career.

To date, Marvin has not been accused of lack of focus, motivation or of not being a hard worker. In fact, it's been the opposite. Injuries have hampered him. Regardless of where Marvin was drafted, he's a young big man that will develop with time and experience. His injuries have impacted that experience part.

Expound on this please.
Marvin is already fighting an uphill battle terms of expectation that goes beyond him simply being a number 2 pick. He's now known as "the guy chosen over Luka". As right or wrong as that may be, it is what it is. Bagley putting up 25 and 10 every night is probably a baseline for him not to be considered a failure to be honest. The issue with that is in order to do that you need a sizeable chunk of the offense. Right now even without Marvin no single player is getting that kind of share of the offense. So, unless Fox, Buddy, Harrison, and Bogdan all take a major back seat individually, there is almost no way for that to happen. For him to even have a marginal impact on the team as is he'd have to become a legit stopper defensively. Like Ben Wallace level, and even so, in terms of perception people will still consider him a failure individually from a production POV.

Marvin is already fighting an uphill battle terms of expectation that goes beyond him simply being a number 2 pick. He's now known as "the guy chosen over Luka". As right or wrong as that may be, it is what it is. Bagley putting up 25 and 10 every night is probably a baseline for him not to be considered a failure to be honest. The issue with that is in order to do that you need a sizeable chunk of the offense. Right now even without Marvin no single player is getting that kind of share of the offense. So, unless Fox, Buddy, Harrison, and Bogdan all take a major back seat individually, there is almost no way for that to happen. For him to even have a marginal impact on the team as is he'd have to become a legit stopper defensively. Like Ben Wallace level, and even so, in terms of perception people will still consider him a failure individually from a production POV.
Forget the Luka y’all we just need him to be a number 2 option and the hate would subsidize. Right now he’s not playing and when he does he looks mediocre, unless you fall
For the 20/10 phantom per36 numbers

Was just looking at the cap figure for Bagley coming up in the 22/23 season and it was a whopping 28 million. Man if that is really the figure he should hope he has a big break out star like next two seasons.

If his career continues the path it did this season we need to move him next year by the deadline. Man I have been a big supporter but no way he is worth that kind of money right now.

Come on Marvin and prove me wrong.

No way in Hell that Bagley earns his keep in the NBA by playing defense like Ben Wallace.
Very few people in the history of the sport have been able do that.
He needs to get stronger and work on his weaknesses with all of this time off. That would include things like developing a right hand, shooting better from 3 and playing adequate defense.

Im just more realistic he’s closer to a role player than this 20/10 guy that’s been thrown around. Hopefully he can put muscle on and improve from mid range this offseason, we’ve had two wasted seasons already time is ticking
We've had one wasted season. He was successful as a rookie and was easily had a top 5 year among the class. The issue is all the guys around him in their rookie year took a massive leap towards being a franchise building block while Bagley spent the whole year being hurt.

Next year is when we need to see something tangible in terms of improvement.

We've had one wasted season. He was successful as a rookie and was easily had a top 5 year among the class. The issue is all the guys around him in their rookie year took a massive leap towards being a franchise building block while Bagley spent the whole year being hurt.

Next year is when we need to see something tangible in terms of improvement.
Ayton, Luka, Young, and SGA all had better rookie years with Luka showing franchise stuff and Trae/Ayton flashing superstar potential. Bagley didn’t look like a future star his rookie year

Code:
i = 1;
while i > 0
    print("Bagley didn't look like a future star his rookie year\n");
    i = i + 1;
end
No need for incrementing the counter, it is forever loop even without it. How about:

Code:
n = current_season - rookie_season + 1
for i in range(n):
    print("Bagley didn't look like a future star his %d season" %i)

Last edited:

VF21

Super Moderator Emeritus
SME
No need for incrementing the counter, it is forever loop even without it. How about:

Code:
n = current_season - rookie_season
for i in range(season):
    print("Bagley didn't look like a future star his %d season" %n)
Oh, I know. It was intentional, just to make the bug a bit more believable.
I was told there'd be no math...and that goes for whatever this is, too.