Bagley progress and pending return

Status
Not open for further replies.
Good question. He's now 4 weeks out and there is video of him shooting and dunking, but no word on expected return that I have seen.

When looking at the schedule a week ago, I figured they were targeting the Denver game. Probably won't bring him back in the middle of road trip. The way he has looked lately, maybe they are looking to the start of the trip. Either way, I can't wait.

Jason Anderson @JandersonSacBee
Kings coach Luke Walton says Marvin Bagley III "has an exam" tomorrow to determine if he will be cleared to return four weeks after breaking his thumb in the season opener. He will accompany the team on the upcoming road trip. Unclear what his role will be when he returns.
Thanks for the update. I'll take it as good news that he will accompany the team on the upcoming road trip.

SLAB

Hall of Famer
Jason Anderson @JandersonSacBee
Kings coach Luke Walton says Marvin Bagley III "has an exam" tomorrow to determine if he will be cleared to return four weeks after breaking his thumb in the season opener. He will accompany the team on the upcoming road trip. Unclear what his role will be when he returns.
That fact that the role of the #2 pick in an absolutely loaded draft isn’t “immediate undisputed starter and major contributor” is such a punch to the stomach.

VF21

Super Moderator Emeritus
SME
That fact that the role of the #2 pick in an absolutely loaded draft isn’t “immediate undisputed starter and major contributor” is such a punch to the stomach.
No, it isn't. It's more an indication that Luke likes what he's seeing so far and he's going to do what's best to get Bagley back into the fold. At some point, this stupidity about starting being the only thing just has to stop. Look at our record; look at how the team is playing for Walton. Give him some credit and let him make those decisions.

No, it isn't. It's more an indication that Luke likes what he's seeing so far and he's going to do what's best to get Bagley back into the fold. At some point, this stupidity about starting being the only thing just has to stop. Look at our record; look at how the team is playing for Walton. Give him some credit and let him make those decisions.
And look at Bogie...

This is now a veteran team looking to win. The one thing Joerger had going that looked right was Bagley as the offensive hub of the bench. If Bagley bought into that it might be better for him and the team. What team can bring someone of his talent level off the bench along with a Bogdan Bogdanovic? We might just find out. That very well could be the combo that puts this team in the position of serious threat.

Unclear of his role, meaning he’s just coming back from an injury. Even if he were Kobe, u don’t just throw him in there for 45 minutes

I didn’t interpret it like “meh, he’s a bench player now”. The kid can flat out play and was awesome for a lot of last season IMO

This is now a veteran team looking to win. The one thing Joerger had going that looked right was Bagley as the offensive hub of the bench. If Bagley bought into that it might be better for him and the team. What team can bring someone of his talent level off the bench along with a Bogdan Bogdanovic? We might just find out. That very well could be the combo that puts this team in the position of serious threat.
guys

Bagley is not a bench player. Period. Where are you guys even getting this from

Thank you!! Bagley is a phenomenal talent and a King. Tired of half the fan base measuring him against a straw man. Bagley is really, really fun to watch. I’m sorry for enjoying super athletic big men who go 100% all the time. You know whose fun to play with? Super athletic big men who go hard all the time.

Is the unclear what his role is a quote from Walton or Jason Anderson commentary? Because, that just doesn't sound like coach talk at all.

Thank you!! Bagley is a phenomenal talent and a King. Tired of half the fan base measuring him against a straw man. Bagley is really, really fun to watch. I’m sorry for enjoying super athletic big men who go 100% all the time. You know whose fun to play with? Super athletic big men who go hard all the time.
I'm probably going to take a break from here for a good 5 - 10 games when Bagley returns so I don't have to hear the nonsense when he misses a shot or has a turnover.

Bagley was doing Rachaun Holmes things last season, but with the addition of a jumper and a half hook shot and sometimes a 3pt shot.

I'm probably going to take a break from here for a good 5 - 10 games when Bagley returns so I don't have to hear the nonsense when he misses a shot or has a turnover.

Bagley was doing Rachaun Holmes things last season, but with the addition of a jumper and a half hook shot and sometimes a 3pt shot.
While tunnel visioning/destorying the offensive flow with pointless iso's and playing horrendous defense compared so nothing like Holmes....

I think Bagley will be a all star caliber player down the line and I know he has only played what? 65,66 games so for.
But also see the need for him to come off the bench right now as that would make our 2nd unit lethal.

You can see the spacing really working with Beli on the floor and with Beli’s experience he shows he needs to be on the floor at the start until Bagley flat out performs him.

We see most of the time who plays in crunch time and there is usually a reason for it.

Bottom line for me is we are finally starting to assemble the team that can complete with anybody on a given night.
Last nights game was a small example of the opponents having to adjust to the way we played and not the other way around finally.

kingsboi

Hall of Famer

that's not completely true. Bagley can't cover the pick and roll the way Holmes does. Bagley also doesn't have the strength of a Holmes to get those tough rebounds in traffic. Bagley is still relying on athleticism to rebound, which is only a part of it. They are just two different players, but that's not a bad thing. Bagley can be utilized properly, I believe Walton will put him in a position to do so.

Someone posted in a different thread that Bagley and Holmes don't have complimentary games/skill sets. Assuming that is the case and they can't adapt, I still think they should start them together and just sub in early if the have to. Socially/politically I think Bagley and Holmes have got to be starters for different reasons. Holmes because he's earned it. Bagley because he will perform his best if he feels like a centerpiece. I don't believe Belly has such an ego that he can't come in at the 8 minute mark and do just fine.

We will be a much more talented team when Bagley comes back. He’ll probably take most of Dedmon’s minutes and Barnes’ minutes are the 4. Beli can still get his run at the 4&5 coming off the bench. Egos aside - Walton should be able to figure it out.

that's not completely true. Bagley can't cover the pick and roll the way Holmes does. Bagley also doesn't have the strength of a Holmes to get those tough rebounds in traffic. Bagley is still relying on athleticism to rebound, which is only a part of it. They are just two different players, but that's not a bad thing. Bagley can be utilized properly, I believe Walton will put him in a position to do so.
I get that they're not the same player. I also get that people love hustle, brute force and 3 point shots. Bagley gets rebounds and blocks shots and plays with all out hustle. Plus he has many different ways of scoring the basketball. I'm not really concerned if he does it in a different way than the next guy.

Holmes was brought in for the tough guy stuff. Set a pick, roll to the basket, dunk. Rinse. Repeat. It's exactly what the team wanted from him, and he's great at it. I'm glad he's on our team.

We're a blue collar type of town. Flashy players like WCS rub us the wrong way. Bagley has been labeled a diva by some fans, but guarantee you can't find a direct quote from him doing diva things. In general, as a fan base, there are two types of players that we like and Bagley isn't either one. I get it. But he's extremely talented and the team will go further by maximizing what Bagley and Fox can bring to the table.

guys

Bagley is not a bench player. Period. Where are you guys even getting this from
Neither was Manu Ginobili. Neither are plenty of great sixth men. And in time as the team transitions to his and Fox's in their respective primes then it will all come full circle. Again, it's not who starts, it's who finishes. He's still very young, and clearly needs to continue his physical development. This is almost the perfect situation for a young player. If the Kings continue to look good then it's almost Spurs like in the comfort level at which they can break their young stars in.

Status
Not open for further replies.