At least we always have the moral high ground! (2022-2023 L2M Report Thread)

It's more important to the NBA to have a certain amount of women officials, than it is to have the most qualified, experienced, and highest rated officials. "Diversity and equality" has been pushed to the point that it's hurt the end product. It's ridiculous politics that has hurt this game
Sadly, you can also say that for pretty much every other major North American sports league out there. It's brutal. And extremely painful.

pdxKingsFan

So Ordinary That It's Truly Quite Extraordinary
Staff member
It's more important to the NBA to have a certain amount of women officials, than it is to have the most qualified, experienced, and highest rated officials. "Diversity and equality" has been pushed to the point that it's hurt the end product. It's ridiculous politics that has hurt this game
I'm willing to consider this but there are plenty of young men making horrible calls too. It's not the gender but the experience level.

Sadly, you can also say that for pretty much every other major North American sports league out there. It's brutal. And extremely painful.
I'm willing to consider this but there are plenty of young men making horrible calls too. It's not the gender but the experience level.
Sorry to have to say it, but a woman NBA official makes about as much sense as a woman referee in a heavyweight boxing match.

pdxKingsFan

Staff member
Sorry to have to say it, but a woman NBA official makes about as much sense as a woman referee in a heavyweight boxing match.
If they meet the physical fitness standards and can be in the right place on the court to make the correct calls it doesn't matter what gender they are. But if they are getting fast-tracked into the NBA without normal pre-requisite experience and then showing up in L2M reports at an above average rate - something I have no conclusive evidence of, then we have a problem.

I cannot eyeroll this post enough.

To echo others, it's not gender, it's experience, but even then, we have some of the most experienced refs making egregious calls because of hard wired reactions to top teams and star players.

We have a sport that the referring of fouls is based on judgment calls a very large % of the time. It's not easy to referee.

All that being said, it needs to be better.

To echo others, it's not gender, it's experience, but even then, we have some of the most experienced refs making egregious calls because of hard wired reactions to top teams and star players.

We have a sport that the referring of fouls is based on judgment calls a very large % of the time. It's not easy to referee.

You can eyeroll all you want. We don't see it behind the plate in high level baseball for a reason...and most everywhere else

I'm puzzled by those that are against the concept of the 2 minute report. Ambiguity over the rules seems to me like a fundamentally bad thing. What is "sports-entertaining" about random or biased interpretation of the rules? That which is measured and reported improves exponentially.

If they meet the physical fitness standards and can be in the right place on the court to make the correct calls it doesn't matter what gender they are. But if they are getting fast-tracked into the NBA without normal pre-requisite experience and then showing up in L2M reports at an above average rate - something I have no conclusive evidence of, then we have a problem.
The greater point is that they have not made it the highest priority to have the best officials on the floor. Other things, politics, are greatly involved.

pdxKingsFan

Staff member
You can eyeroll all you want. We don't see it behind the plate in high level baseball for a reason...and most everywhere else
The fact that baseball is still relying on wildly inconsistent humans to call balls and strikes, and that strike zone are one of the most egregious examples of officiating gone completely off the rails, when the technology exists to have uniform and consistent balls and strikes tells me that the problem in this case is baseball and not DEI initiatives.

The greater point is that they have not made it the highest priority to have the best officials on the floor. Other things, politics, are greatly involved.
Its to bad this has to be spelled out for some. Same with the women refs in football. Where did they come from? I certainly haven't seen women putting in years and years at the collegiate level, working their way up to the NFL. They were installed, probably ahead of other deserving refs who have served their time at the lower levels, to satisfy whatever grievance du jour and when bad calls start mounting everyone seems to be completely mystifyed.

pdxKingsFan

Staff member
Its to bad this has to be spelled out for some. Same with the women refs in football. Where did they come from? I certainly haven't seen women putting in years and years at the collegiate level, working their way up to the NFL. They were installed, probably ahead of other deserving refs who have served their time at the lower levels, to satisfy whatever grievance du jour and when bad calls start mounting everyone seems to be completely mystifyed.
because we have seen a rookie male ref and a 20 year vet male ref both directly cost us games this season.

I work in academia and if you don't think I see bad DEI run amok daily I can assure you I do, I have eyes on the games too and of course I notice when there is a bad female ref but the amount of bad refs period is the problem.

I'd love to see literally any point of evidence that woman officials are missing more calls than male officials. Male officials are the one who have actually cost the Kings games this season.

Unless you're just trying to say something else?

Read deeper. You're missing the greater point
You're saying that female officials are getting preferred treatment and access to officiating jobs because they're female and not on the basis of their skill as officials. I'm asking for you for literally any source of fact/information that shows female officials aren't performing to standard outside of your own opinion.

I have your point just fine.

pdxKingsFan

Staff member
I'm puzzled by those that are against the concept of the 2 minute report. Ambiguity over the rules seems to me like a fundamentally bad thing. What is "sports-entertaining" about random or biased interpretation of the rules? That which is measured and reported improves exponentially.
I don't think anyone is against the L2M reports I think what is causing growing concern is that
a) after multiple instances of the L2M reports showing Kings getting the wrong call by a more than 2:1 margin, the NBA has been hedging the language in them "marginal contact resulting in correct non-call" rather than getting better results and
b) we're not seeing any measure of consequence or effort to right these errors just a "whoops, our bad" - obviously happens to every team but after 16 years it is causing much more pain to Kings fans who many of us are still holding onto anger for 2002.

I think that your greater point is that the introduction of a couple of female refs 25 years ago, (which has since ballooned to... 5 currently) has so thoroughly disrupted NBA referee professionalism that an all-male team of refs the other night screwed up a couple of calls (which were upheld on replay and on post-mortem review.)

It's not a strong point.

I don't think anyone is against the L2M reports I think what is causing growing concern is that
a) after multiple instances of the L2M reports showing Kings getting the wrong call by a more than 2:1 margin, the NBA has been hedging the language in them "marginal contact resulting in correct non-call" rather than getting better results and
b) we're not seeing any measure of consequence or effort to right these errors just a "whoops, our bad" - obviously happens to every team but after 16 years it is causing much more pain to Kings fans who many of us are still holding onto anger for 2002.
I get the cynicism from 2002, I was here then, but things like the L2M report and replay review are a result of situations like that series. The fact that the NBA has to publish a statement after every game about whether it stands by its officiating is a step in the right direction. From that position, fans can point out more ways to make the product better. I don't believe anybody would advocate for making the product less fair, so progress seems inevitable.

And yeah, I feel part a, changes in policy typically happen at the end of the season. If there's a systemic issue, that's when there's a chance to address it.

I think that your greater point is that the introduction of a couple of female refs 25 years ago, (which has since ballooned to... 5 currently) has so thoroughly disrupted NBA referee professionalism that an all-male team of refs the other night screwed up a couple of calls (which were upheld on replay and on post-mortem review.)

It's not a strong point.
You're still not getting the bigger picture

Don't know if we'll be alive to see the day... but robot refs will become a thing lol. Perhaps then games will be called fairer lol.

because we have seen a rookie male ref and a 20 year vet male ref both directly cost us games this season.

I work in academia and if you don't think I see bad DEI run amok daily I can assure you I do, I have eyes on the games too and of course I notice when there is a bad female ref but the amount of bad refs period is the problem.
I'd love to see literally any point of evidence that woman officials are missing more calls than male officials. Male officials are the one who have actually cost the Kings games this season.

Unless you're just trying to say something else?
You're saying that female officials are getting preferred treatment and access to officiating jobs because they're female and not on the basis of their skill as officials. I'm asking for you for literally any source of fact/information that shows female officials aren't performing to standard outside of your own opinion.

I have your point just fine.

It's not a strong point.
I get the cynicism from 2002, I was here then, but things like the L2M report and replay review are a result of situations like that series. The fact that the NBA has to publish a statement after every game about whether it stands by its officiating is a step in the right direction. From that position, fans can point out more ways to make the product better. I don't believe anybody would advocate for making the product less fair, so progress seems inevitable.

And yeah, I feel part a, changes in policy typically happen at the end of the season. If there's a systemic issue, that's when there's a chance to address it.
You're still not getting the bigger picture
First of all, as a follow up to an earlier comment I made about this topic. When I labeled the current product as "brutal" and "painful", I was in no way, shape, or form, expressing my disapproval of female officials in any sport, and at any level; I love to see a female out there doing her thing.

I think it is an extremely stupid, and very near-sided, thing to say that females have no place in the profession. If someone is qualified enough to adequately perform the outlined tasks of a certain job, then whether this person is male or female should not even be considered. If you think a female should be passed up for a male just because she is a female, and he is a male, then you're the problem, and not the league that is trying to give qualified and competent females a shot to perform, and succeed, in what has been widely considered as a "male-dominant profession". As someone eluded to above, we all are fans of, and are widely discussing, a sport in which 90% of the calls that are made are "judgment calls". To say that a call that was made by a female official would not have been made by a male official is borderline asinine. How can you prove that a male's judgment in a given situation would have been any different than the female who just made the call?

I respect the heck out of NBA officials - male and female. They have a difficult task.

First of all, as a follow up to an earlier comment I made about this topic. When I labeled the current product as "brutal" and "painful", I was in no way, shape, or form, expressing my disapproval of female officials in any sport, and at any level; I love to see a female out there doing her thing.

I think it is an extremely stupid, and very near-sided, thing to say that females have no place in the profession. If someone is qualified enough to adequately perform the outlined tasks of a certain job, then whether this person is male or female should not even be considered. If you think a female should be passed up for a male just because she is a female, and he is a male, then you're the problem, and not the league that is trying to give qualified and competent females a shot to perform, and succeed, in what has been widely considered as a "male-dominant profession". As someone eluded to above, we all are fans of, and are widely discussing, a sport in which 90% of the calls that are made are "judgment calls". To say that a call that was made by a female official would not have been made by a male official is borderline asinine. How can you prove that a male's judgment in a given situation would have been any different than the female who just made the call?

I respect the heck out of NBA officials - male and female. They have a difficult task.
I know you tried, but you're still not getting it either. Nothing what you've stated here is my opinion of the situation. Moving on now

I know you tried, but you're still not getting it either. Nothing what you've stated here is my opinion of the situation. Moving on now
Then, as others have previously stated, show us the facts. You keep on saying that your statements are not your opinion, but rather factual. All we're asking for here are facts. If you make claims such as those that you are trying to make, but don't present facts to back yourself up, you're 100% going to get called out on it.

How quickly would the NBA or any sports league come crashing down if their player pool was determined the same exact way (diversity rather than meritocracy)?

Something about an egg timer comes to mind….

Last edited by a moderator: