At least we always have the moral high ground! (2022-2023 L2M Report Thread)

The NBA reffing is a joke. It almost makes the NBA unwatchable. And the NBA isn't doing anything about it. The Kings are playing 8 on 5 almost every night.

Really, the only way the Kings will ever have a really good record is to be beating their opponent by 10+ points in the final few minutes, if not, the refs will be trying everything they can to screw the Kings every single time. It's getting tiring.
You know what's disturbing and telling. We don't see this happening in high level college basketball. Something has gone terribly wrong with NBA officiating

Yeah it's called money. The LA Market and LeBron James matters come playoff time. Likewise, De'Aaron Fox and Domas Sabonis+Sacramento market don't draw near the same number of eyeballs.
Yeah, the whole thing is turning me away from the NBA game. I find myself watching the college game, even mid major schools that I know nothing about... and enjoying it a lot more. Rarely ever see the kind of poor officiating that we see every week (or every game) in the NBA

Yeah, the whole thing is turning me away from the NBA game. I find myself watching the college game, even mid major schools that I know nothing about... and enjoying it a lot more. Rarely ever see the kind of poor officiating that we see every week (or every game) in the NBA
Luka just said in his last press that he personally watches Euro League more than the NBA. I heard they just suspended some ref for missing a crucial call.

That Schroder was able to draw a foul with the game on the line was a bit of a surprise. Kings point guard De’Aaron Fox, who was spectacular in the fourth quarter, cut Schroder off on a drive after the Kings denied the entry pass to LeBron James. Fox made contact, but the whistle was a surprise — even to Schroder.

“I mean, normally they don’t call fouls like that,” he said. “I mean, I got probably so many drives where they hip-check me and I don’t normally get the foul — too many times. But they called it there.”

That Schroder was able to draw a foul with the game on the line was a bit of a surprise. Kings point guard De’Aaron Fox, who was spectacular in the fourth quarter, cut Schroder off on a drive after the Kings denied the entry pass to LeBron James. Fox made contact, but the whistle was a surprise — even to Schroder.

“I mean, normally they don’t call fouls like that,” he said. “I mean, I got probably so many drives where they hip-check me and I don’t normally get the foul — too many times. But they called it there.”
I said this in the game thread, but by the "letter of the law" it's probably a foul, but the contact is so light most of the time it gets let go. Maybe they call that with 5:30 in the 2nd quarter. You certainly don't call that final minute of the game during a tie game

I said this in the game thread, but by the "letter of the law" it's probably a foul, but the contact is so light most of the time it gets let go. Maybe they call that with 5:30 in the 2nd quarter. You certainly don't call that final minute of the game during a tie game
I don’t know if this was pointed out in the game thread but look at KZ on the play.

By the letter of the law the touch on Fox was a foul, you also shouldn't call that. In the spirit of fairness you call both or neither. The NBA has f'd this up so bad in the L2M is saying Russ made contact that was "'marginal', resulting in a correct no call."

How do you give the marginal call that breaks a tie to one team and not the marginal call to the other that you just f'd?

The NBA is either a) deliberately fixing games themselves; b) still has a Donaghy problem; or c) has hired completely incompetent crews to replace all the retired veterans over the years - one has to wonder if this is the case, why it is so bad and they aren't pulling elite officials from other leagues.

By the letter of the law the touch on Fox was a foul, you also shouldn't call that. In the spirit of fairness you call both or neither. The NBA has f'd this up so bad in the L2M is saying Russ made contact that was "'marginal', resulting in a correct no call."

How do you give the marginal call that breaks a tie to one team and not the marginal call to the other that you just f'd?

The NBA is either a) deliberately fixing games themselves; b) still has a Donaghy problem; or c) has hired completely incompetent crews to replace all the retired veterans over the years - one has to wonder if this is the case, why it is so bad and they aren't pulling elite officials from other leagues.
Agreed. I wouldn't have bitched about the Fox end game shot if they hadn't just called the wussy foul on Fox 2 seconds earlier. It's like a baseball strike-zone from an ump; It can be a crap zone, but as long as he's calling it consistently crap for both teams, there's no competitive advantage. Right now, the Kings have gotten a crap-strike zone all year.

There comes a point when we either gotta just accept that NBA officiating is suspect and enjoy the game for what it is, entertainment, or turn away from the game completely if you can’t handle it. But this constant complaining…….. omg.
This ish has been going on since the kings got to sac. In 2002 we were on the receiving end of the most eggregious officiating in sports history. If that wasn’t enough to turn you off of basketball, fine, but the constant complaining year after year after year is almost comical to me. Accept the game for what it is already!!! It’s damn near WWE wrestling! The NBA shows everyone what it is all the time and yet fans are still outraged when the end of the lakers game happens. Serious?
How many more examples do you all need to hammer home that the NBA really is fixed? Hell, there are some great podcasts and netflix docudramas proving it. Yes, they care more about the teams in LA and NY. It’s just good business sense. All sports is business. Hell, I watch the 49ers get calls that the jaguars or the browns never get! I know there’s a reason for that. I don’t know, I guess I would have expected kings fans to finally get why this crap keeps on happening and just stop bitching about it………

Last edited:
There comes a point when we either gotta just accept that NBA officiating is suspect and enjoy the game for what it is, entertainment, or turn away from the game completely if you can’t handle it. But this constant complaining…….. omg.
This ish has been going on since the kings got to sac. In 2002 we were on the receiving end of the most eggregious officiating in sports history. If that wasn’t enough to turn you off of basketball, fine, but the constant complaining year after year after year is almost comical to me. Accept the game for what it is already!!! It’s damn near WWE wrestling! The NBA shows everyone what it is all the time and yet fans are still outraged when the end of the lakers game happens. Serious?
How many more examples do you all need to hammer home that the NBA really is fixed? Hell, there are some great podcasts and netflix docudramas proving it. Yes, they care more about the teams in LA and NY. It’s just good business sense. All sports is business. Hell, I watch the 49ers get calls that the jaguars or the browns never get! I know there’s a reason for that. I don’t know, I guess I would have expected kings fans to finally get why this crap keeps on happening and just stop bitching about it………
The day I stop complaining, is the day that I am no longer a Kings fan. Griping has become part of my fandom!

They let politics enter the equation for who gets a job as an NBA official. Once that happens, it's no longer about having the actual best out there at calling the game.

dude12

Hall of Famer
I’ll stop complaining when it stops being so blatantly bad towards Sacramento in key situations

SLAB

Hall of Famer
It really seems like since we’re a bit better this year the complaining has gone into hyperdrive. It’s an entire conspiracy against Sacramento.

hrdboild

Hall of Famer
I don't think I ever complained about officiating fairness before the 2002 playoffs. Maybe it's because I had to watch that entire series in LA surrounded by gleeful Lakers fans. but for me personally that crew of officials stealing the team's chance at a championship is not something I can ever forget. This franchise has been fighting to throw off the disappointment of that series ever since and until they make the playoffs and advance to the Western Conference championship at least I don't think I'll stop complaining about the officiating being biased.

It really seems like since we’re a bit better this year the complaining has gone into hyperdrive. It’s an entire conspiracy against Sacramento.
Well, if the NBA officials don’t start nothing, won’t be nothing. However, when the officiating is this BAD, there aren’t many other directions for fans to go.

Either the officials are completely inept or they’re corrupt. You pick. Neither scenario is good.

If it's the former scenario rather than the latter, I gotta ask -- how come they don't seem to be as consistently inept for the marquee franchises? I've never seen a title or playoff series lost by LAL or BOS (among others) due to a string of terrible calls. Perhaps a regular season game here or there, but not usually against the likes of the KINGS.

Last edited:

SLAB

Hall of Famer
I’m in the “NBA is not fixed and there is no conspiring to screw over the Kings camp” while also acknowledging we are at something like a 2 to 1 disadvantage on the 2 minute report.
That’s fair enough. I also get there’s been a bunch of bad calls. But really if we’re supposed to be this ascending team, the first step is not letting Thomas Bryant go for 30/15. I feel when that happens, complaining cannot be allowed. We allowed ourselves to be beaten.

Well, if the NBA officials don’t start nothing, won’t be nothing. However, when the officiating is this BAD, there aren’t many other directions for fans to go.

Either the officials are completely inept or they’re corrupt. You pick. Neither scenario is good.

If it's the former scenario rather than the latter, I gotta ask -- how come they don't seem to be as consistently inept for the marquee franchises? I've never seen a title or playoff series lost by LAL or BOS (among others) due to a string of terrible calls. Perhaps a regular season game here or there, but not usually against the likes of the KINGS.
I think that it IS ineptitude and part of that stems from these officials not being able to get past personal biases. I don't know if the average official is younger than they were 20 years ago or if that is my perception as someone who is 20 years older and the fact that we seem to be aging less severely than we did 20-30 years ago but there are a lot of officials with limited experience on the court and they appear to be very young to boot. I would hope that NBA officials have 5-10 years of officiating minimum in other pro leagues or the college ranks before they begin but that might be perceived as holding people back unfairly today.

ORRR

We're on a Kings forum and we want to discuss with other Kings fans how freaking dumb the officiating is. You don't have to respond

I think that it IS ineptitude and part of that stems from these officials not being able to get past personal biases. I don't know if the average official is younger than they were 20 years ago or if that is my perception as someone who is 20 years older and the fact that we seem to be aging less severely than we did 20-30 years ago but there are a lot of officials with limited experience on the court and they appear to be very young to boot. I would hope that NBA officials have 5-10 years of officiating minimum in other pro leagues or the college ranks before they begin but that might be perceived as holding people back unfairly today.
It's more important to the NBA to have a certain amount of women officials, than it is to have the most qualified, experienced, and highest rated officials. "Diversity and equality" has been pushed to the point that it's hurt the end product. It's ridiculous politics that has hurt this game