Assistant coaches

Beyer looks like a journeyman asst. Nothing really sticks out.
Was the Asst at OKC last year for 1 year.
Previously was with Detroit for 4 seasons.
The Pistons only had 1 winning season while
He was there.
Was an Asst at Charlotte in 2013-14 for one year. Hornets were 43-39
Beyer spent one season with the Dubs at the beginning of their ascent 2012-13. A 47-35 record.
Orlando from 2007-12. 4 winning seasons under Van Gundy. But, quick exits in 3 of those seasons.

He appears to mediocre based on his short tenure in just about every organization he’s worked at.

I knew at least 1 of Luke’s do boys were going to join him. Murmeys was hired as an appeasement to Luke.

Rana was hired by Vivek. That’s very clear. Guy has no NBA exp. Once again, shows Vivek meddling with the coaches.
These are assistants not headcoach candidates or even lead assistants. You expecting to hire Popovichs bench out from under him?

Beyer looks like a journeyman asst. Nothing really sticks out.
Was the Asst at OKC last year for 1 year.
Previously was with Detroit for 4 seasons.
The Pistons only had 1 winning season while
He was there.
Was an Asst at Charlotte in 2013-14 for one year. Hornets were 43-39
Beyer spent one season with the Dubs at the beginning of their ascent 2012-13. A 47-35 record.
Orlando from 2007-12. 4 winning seasons under Van Gundy. But, quick exits in 3 of those seasons.

He appears to mediocre based on his short tenure in just about every organization he’s worked at.

I knew at least 1 of Luke’s do boys were going to join him. Murmeys was hired as an appeasement to Luke.

Rana was hired by Vivek. That’s very clear. Guy has no NBA exp. Once again, shows Vivek meddling with the coaches.
You’re ridiculous.

Sorry all but again reading A Royal Pain article by Jonathon Roberts. He gives a grade and breakdown of the three assistant hires. Not exactly praising any except Rana, recons he's the real deal. Anyways, I have to get my info somewhere.

Tetsujin

The Game Thread Dude
Sorry all but again reading A Royal Pain article by Jonathon Roberts. He gives a grade and breakdown of the three assistant hires. Not exactly praising any except Rana, recons he's the real deal. Anyways, I have to get my info somewhere.
The dude has less than 300 twitter followers and is based in Eastern Tennessee.

The dude has less than 300 twitter followers and is based in Eastern Tennessee.
That's 300 more twitter followers than I have and I live out in the middle of Australia. That's why I say, I need to get my info somewhere.
Still, it's promising to see that at least one of these hires is getting some sort of positive recognition.

Tetsujin

The Game Thread Dude
Still, it's promising to see that at least one of these hires is getting some sort of positive recognition.
From a random dude on the internet?

National dudes like Sam Venecie have been praising the hire since the news broke and the guy writing for probably the 4th most prominent Kings fansite is the one that finally set your opinion?

From a random dude on the internet?

National dudes like Sam Venecie have been praising the hire since the news broke and the guy writing for probably the 4th most prominent Kings fansite is the one that finally set your opinion?
Just reread the Tennesseans report, he does acknowledge USA Todays Jeff Zillgett and The Athletics Sam Venecie as sources. I also see that you on this threads previous page mentioned national recognition for Rana.
Lets just call it another vote of confidence for Rana, my opinion is not set at this point one way or the other.

I really don't understand all the high praise for Rana. He has zero experience at the NCAA/NBA level. But, yet he's deemed a genius hire? I am not sure based on what metrics?
Too me this is absolutely a Vivek hire. If Rana was so lauded, how come i have never heard his name in NBA circles before this week.

Murmeys was the offensive coordinator for the Lakers. Based on the Lakers SB Nation board, he is terrible.
Beyer had an affinity working for Van Gundy in Detroit and Orlando.
He never lasted more than a season anywhere else: DUbs, Charlotte, OkC, and Toronto.

To me these hires are Azz Backwards. If Walton is fired or let go. Especially, if these assistants were hand picked by Walton/Vivek/Vlade.

VF21

Super Moderator Emeritus
SME
I really don't understand all the high praise for Rana. He has zero experience at the NCAA/NBA level. But, yet he's deemed a genius hire? I am not sure based on what metrics?
Too me this is absolutely a Vivek hire. If Rana was so lauded, how come i have never heard his name in NBA circles before this week.

Murmeys was the offensive coordinator for the Lakers. Based on the Lakers SB Nation board, he is terrible.
Beyer had an affinity working for Van Gundy in Detroit and Orlando.
He never lasted more than a season anywhere else: DUbs, Charlotte, OkC, and Toronto.

To me these hires are Azz Backwards. If Walton is fired or let go. Especially, if these assistants were hand picked by Walton/Vivek/Vlade.
I'm sorry to break this to you, but you not hearing someone's name doesn't IMHO necessarily mean there hasn't been a lot of talk about them.

I'm sorry to break this to you, but you not hearing someone's name doesn't IMHO necessarily mean there hasn't been a lot of talk about them.

Not really. One fact remains. He has zero NCAA or NBA experience. That would be a Big reason why this hire should. Be questioned. In addition to the fact he also happens to be from Vivek’s hometown.

Purple colored glasses you’re wearing

Capt. Factorial

trifolium contra tempestatem subrigere certum est
Staff member
No no no. Rana was born in Wolverhampton, England, but moved to Canada as a baby where he grew up. The guy clearly stated it’s a fact he’s from Vivek’s hometown, not that he was born in Vivek’s hometown. Therefore Vivek’s from Toronto.
Guys, guys, guys. Come on now. It is REALLY EASY to confuse Toronto and Mumbai. I can't quite keep them straight myself. I mean, I even read a story on Deadspin last week about a family from Peoria who intended to buy tickets to the Eastern Conference Finals and somehow ended up at a cricket match! Oh, the hilarity! But, seriously, it's an easy mistake to make, and look, if we're going to cut somebody some slack it should probably be somebody like KingsSelecao, who has a very long history on this website of fair and insightful comments and would be the very last person to allow an irrational hatred for everything our franchise does to cloud their judgment. I'm sure it was an honest mistake.

VF21

Super Moderator Emeritus
SME
Not really. One fact remains. He has zero NCAA or NBA experience. That would be a Big reason why this hire should. Be questioned. In addition to the fact he also happens to be from Vivek’s hometown.

Purple colored glasses you’re wearing
And very nice purple colored glasses they are, too. That doesn't change facts - but don't let that get in the way of your argument.

1559373331590.png

bajaden

Hall of Famer
Guys, guys, guys. Come on now. It is REALLY EASY to confuse Toronto and Mumbai. I can't quite keep them straight myself. I mean, I even read a story on Deadspin last week about a family from Peoria who intended to buy tickets to the Eastern Conference Finals and somehow ended up at a cricket match! Oh, the hilarity! But, seriously, it's an easy mistake to make, and look, if we're going to cut somebody some slack it should probably be somebody like KingsSelecao, who has a very long history on this website of fair and insightful comments and would be the very last person to allow an irrational hatred for everything our franchise does to cloud their judgment. I'm sure it was an honest mistake.
Kings who?

And very nice purple colored glasses they are, too. That doesn't change facts - but don't let that get in the way of your argument.

22935516-6E98-43E1-BD9A-DDBEB58F13E5.jpeg
I dunno. Maybe he should try them on. Might learn something new seeing things through your eyes.

Edit: crap it’s not as funny unless you expand the quote. Lame.

I couldn't find it in your link, assuming it was because so many things need to load as you scroll down.

But I got his tweet from his account.

I don't know who that guy is. But it's not just him saying that.

https://www.sportsnet.ca/basketball/nba/ryerson-head-coach-roy-rana-accepts-job-sacramento-kings/

TORONTO — Roy Rana is leaving his position as head coach of the Ryerson Rams men’s basketball team to join the Sacramento Kings coaching staff.

The Rams confirmed in a release Monday that Rana accepted the role of chief of staff-assistant coach with the NBA club.

Peculiar. Do they call things differently in Canada?