A's fans hit with chair by Texas pitcher?

RoyalDiva said:
Monday morning quarterbacking. Being that you feel the need to refer to the victim as a fat wench, I wonder whose side you really are on. Anyway, who is William Ligue Jr. and Tom Gamboa? I don't know much about baseball and it's incidents.
Ligue was a fan who jumped out of the stands on the first base line and tackled and attacked the first base coach of the KC Royals. He was drunk off his ***, and his actions sure did seem a lot more malicious than Francisco's...

J

joethecrow

RoyalDiva said:
Monday morning quarterbacking. Being that you feel the need to refer to the victim as a fat wench, I wonder whose side you really are on. Anyway, who is William Ligue Jr. and Tom Gamboa? I don't know much about baseball and it's incidents.
I am on neither persons side, so no need keep wondering. The player is an idiot. So are the fans who did not stop heckling when it was looking to escalate. So are the Event Staff who didn't notice a problem.

William Ligue Jr. and his son were fans that ran out on to the field and attacked Tom Gamboa, first base coach of the KC Royals in Comiskey Park.

IMO, only someone who didn't watch baseball, and didn't know the history of recent events involving MLB players/Coches and conflicts with the fans would call for a lifetime ban from the sport. If this is not you, or the way you think...then don't worry about it.

Last edited by a moderator:
QueensFan said:
Ligue was a fan who jumped out of the stands on the first base line and tackled and attacked the first base coach of the KC Royals. He was drunk off his ***, and his actions sure did seem a lot more malicious than Francisco's...
And he had his kid with him? Now I remember the incident. If someone throws a chair into an area packed with people, they have to know they're going to hit someone. So I think that it is just as malicious.

VF21

Super Moderator Emeritus
SME
joethecrow said:
IMO, only someone who didn't watch baseball, and didn't know the history of recent events involving MLB players/Coches and conflicts with the fans would call for a lifetime ban from the sport. If this is not you, or the way you think...then don't worry about it.
The "history of recent events" in MLB is irrelevant. If you are going to allow bad behavior that is clearly beyond the realm of what should be acceptable, then you open the door for future incidents.

Perhaps the lifetime ban was harsh. While I would not oppose it, if I were the one with the decision to make, my final decision would depend on Francisco's attitude, how he accepts responsibility for his actions, etc.

He would have to pay a stiff fine, attend anger management classes and do some kind of community service. A SECOND INCIDENT would, IMHO, call for a lifetime ban, period.

J

joethecrow

He would have to pay a stiff fine, attend anger management classes and do some kind of community service. A SECOND INCIDENT would, IMHO, call for a lifetime ban, period.
Agreed. Upon a second incident, at that point that player would be a detriment to the relations between the ballclub and the fans of said ballclub. And fans of major league baseball as a whole.

The 'history of recent events" was brought up to shed light on the recent events involving Fans/Players and the fact that the fans are too close to the field, I thought it while typing and never conveyed that with the old digits.

RoyalDiva said:
And he had his kid with him? Now I remember the incident. If someone throws a chair into an area packed with people, they have to know they're going to hit someone. So I think that it is just as malicious.
We can beat this horse into the ground but...

Can't we just agree that Francisco got caught up in the moment? He's probably not a bad person. He wasn't drunk. He didn't attack anyone and he certainly wasn't trying to kill anyone. He made a very very pee poor decision in the heat of the battle. We all make mistakes, and he'll pay for his mistake. But forgiveness is a virtue in itself. To ban this rookie from baseball would be to take away his dream and his livelihood for a single error in judgement and that is something that no one should have to deal with. Yes, I know that people are killed and whatnot due to errors in judgement but let's be real here - fortunately the consequences of his actions weren't that serious.

it's the fan's fault. if i had to sit there while those idiots hurled god knows what kinds of insults at me (i've heard on ESPN that the fans have known for mouthing off racial slurrs too) i'd damn well do something about it. i wouldn't throw a chair, but i'd start swinging. i don't care if i'm making 10 dollars or 10 million dollars, the fans have to have a common sense that there is a line, and opposing team or not, they have to have respect. the players are people too, and the fans are literally on top of their heads, insulting them for 3 hours... i don't blame the players one bit for retaliating, altough throwing a chair was very ill advised.

I don't know if it's the fan's fault, but to say they are without blame is false. Players pay money to see a game, not be above the law. Calling people vulger names and hurling racial remarks shouldn't be tolerated.

David Wells was just on OTL and saying how the section was just ripping him in his bullpen warmup session the start after his mother died. One fan knew about it and the others caught on and it got ugly... uncalled for.

VF21

Super Moderator Emeritus
SME
joethecrow said:
Agreed. Upon a second incident, at that point that player would be a detriment to the relations between the ballclub and the fans of said ballclub. And fans of major league baseball as a whole.

The 'history of recent events" was brought up to shed light on the recent events involving Fans/Players and the fact that the fans are too close to the field, I thought it while typing and never conveyed that with the old digits.
Okay, thank you for the clarification.

I haven't been to a baseball game since the last time I went to Candlestick to see the Giants play the Dodgers (my all-time favorite player, Sandy Koufax, was pitching so I think you know how long ago that was). I thought the fans were ugly then.

Are we getting to the point where barriers will need to be installed in all sports to prevent the fans and the athletes from seriously injuring each other?

That's a pretty sad commentary on our times...

JSin - Did he explain where Francisco picking up the chair and hurling it came into the picture? (I'm curious, not trying to be snide or sarcastic...)

I hate hecklers. I just realized that incidents like this may well be the reason why. Primarily, I think anyone who yells something rude, vulgar, boorish or totally inappropriate is hurting everyone around him/her. My thought is that fans, even though they've paid to attend the game, should be held responsible for some code of conduct. If their actions are totally ruining the game experience for everyone around them, I would kick them out.

It's probably a good idea I don't own a sports venue.

;)

I hate hecklers. I just realized that incidents like this may well be the reason why. Primarily, I think anyone who yells something rude, vulgar, boorish or totally inappropriate is hurting everyone around him/her. My thought is that fans, even though they've paid to attend the game, should be held responsible for some code of conduct.
I once heckled Kieth Closs into calling me names. He was with the Clippers then, and wasn't playing because of an injury. He was wearing a suit, a plaid one I think he may have borrowed from shaq. Maybe shaq borrowed it from him, because this was before I saw him wear that abomination. Anyway, I merely made some polite inquiries as to who his tailor might be (of course, since I was sitting a couple rows back from him, I had to ask rather loudly) ( I MIGHT have mentioned the fabric was a bit couch like) It was during a stoppage in play, and I hadn't felt a bit bad about it till now:D And once Shawn Bradley got really angry with us for laughing uncontrollably along the sidelines as he warmed up.

Don't feel too bad. No matter how rough you were, we know it couldn't have been any more than the second worst beatdown Closs has experienced ;)

I heckled Ricky Henderson into flashing me an obscene gesture. About 5 to 10 minutes later, he tied Lou Brock's base-stealing record.

That was a great game.. I was able to heckle Rickey Henderson at the top of the inning and Louis Polonia at the bottom of the inning. You can imagine the fun I had.