A's fans hit with chair by Texas pitcher?

That's crazy, don't care how much fans can argue you or heckle you.

When it says look out for flying objects at baseball stadiums they didn't mean chairs.

What the hell? You get paid hundreds of thousands, or even millions, to play a game, and to take the crap that fans dish out. That's what home field advantage is all about. This moron should be banned from the game permanently. If Pete Rose can be banned for gambling, why not a guy for something that could have legitimately killed a fan? Even if the guy heckling him was an ***, his ticket was still paying the guy's salary.

VF21

Super Moderator Emeritus
SME
I saw it over and over and over again on the news. There is no way, in case anyone is wondering, the woman had any part in the heckling. She could have been seriously injured. I agree totally with ED. The idiot who picked up the chair, REGARDLESS OF THE PROVOCATION, should be banned from the game of baseball. There is absolutely no excuse for what he did...none.

This is one situation where I hope the woman has already received the business cards of the myriad of personal injury lawyers out there drooling all over themselves about this case.

El Duque said:
What the hell? You get paid hundreds of thousands, or even millions, to play a game, and to take the crap that fans dish out. That's what home field advantage is all about. This moron should be banned from the game permanently. If Pete Rose can be banned for gambling, why not a guy for something that could have legitimately killed a fan?
When was the last time a chair killed someone... it was a bad decision, yes, ban him for a year, but manslaughter... no.

Just to clarify...In NO WAY was I condoning what the idiot did...just commenting on the Oakland fans. Sorry of it came out wrong. I agree with ED and VF21.

VF21

Super Moderator Emeritus
SME
Jsin - So because no one has actually been killed yet this bozo should only be banned for a year?

This woman was an innocent fan attending a baseball game. The player picked up a chair, hurled it with NO IDEA who it would hit, etc. That kind of loss of control is totally unacceptable IMHO. We shouldn't have to wait until someone actually dies before setting up certain zero tolerance parameters.

Think about how you'd feel if you were at the ball game with your kids and all of a sudden some hot-tempered ball player picked up a chair and hurled it into the stands, hitting your 7-year-old son? Would you still be so lenient about how he was treated?

This time it was an adult. Next time with another player, it could be a child. You don't take the chance...at least not as far as I'm concerned. This player, unfortunately, should be made an example of...

The womans husband was interviewed on 4 qrts on espn news today and he said he was involved in the heckling but there was no racial or verbal insults. He said the only things being said were "whos going to win now" etc.

The kid who threw the chair really messed up. Hes a rookie, probabally not making that much money his first year and now he will be in court over this. Ouch... ban him from baseball forever? no... a little harsh... definitly suspend him for the rest of the year and possibly part of next year. He has already paid 15k for bail... the woman is going to get a lot more than that hopefully.

VF21

Super Moderator Emeritus
SME
It doesn't matter if the woman's husband was involved or not. SHE WASN'T. And it doesn't matter if he's a kid or not... or a rookie. There is - or at least should be IMHO - a certain standard of performance that anyone, regardless of age, should be held to. He picked up an object and hurled it. That is totally unacceptable. If he's a rookie, can we expect his level of violence to escalate as he gains status in the league?

He paid bail money. That money is returned to him provided he makes all his court appearances.

If it was my decision to make, I might show a little leniency but not much. To allow him to get away with it would send a message that it's okay to get into physical altercations with hecklers. To me, that is totally and completely unacceptable.

JSin said:
When was the last time a chair killed someone... it was a bad decision, yes, ban him for a year, but manslaughter... no.
Don't underestimate the power of a chair to the nose.
-- Geraldo Rivera

My Two Cents:

I've seen the replay countless times. I think what we have here is little more than a VERY poor decision. The rookie got caught up in the scene and made a decision that he'll regret for the rest of his life. Still, I don't believe this should lead to a lifetime banning. A suspension - yes - and a harsh one at that. But the issue here is intent. It wasn't like the guy pounded someone with a chair repeatedly until they lay bloodied. He tossed a chair into brawl and it went a bit astray. TERRIBLE move. But as JSin said, not manslaughter. Had he pounded someone's head WWF style, that's lifetime ban material. This? Maybe 20-30 games? That's a VERY harsh suspension and I do believe a just one.

J

joethecrow

QueensFan said:
I've seen the replay countless times. I think what we have here is little more than a VERY poor decision. The rookie got caught up in the scene and made a decision that he'll regret for the rest of his life. Still, I don't believe this should lead to a lifetime banning. A suspension - yes - and a harsh one at that. But the issue here is intent. It wasn't like the guy pounded someone with a chair repeatedly until they lay bloodied. He tossed a chair into brawl and it went a bit astray. TERRIBLE move. But as JSin said, not manslaughter. Had he pounded someone's head WWF style, that's lifetime ban material. This? Maybe 20-30 games? That's a VERY harsh suspension and I do believe a just one.
Good take. I, too, think the lifetime banning is WAY over doing it. His actions were ridiculous, and out of line and he deserves everything coming to him...but most of his punishment will be handed down by local authorities.

Fans are too close to the players, and are not cut off from alcohol, that is NOT a formula for safe baseball for either party.

Regardless of how much they're paid, they're still human beings operating off human nature. Regardless of how much money you make...it doesn't make you a calm individual. The guy snapped and was wrong for it, the guy went Bobby Knight and threw a chair and hit that fat wench in the beak...he's going to do time for assault.

I am more interested to hear what was said to him. I'll be following the case.

My prediction is that Bud Selig is going to try and send a message with the punishment he hands down...but I am gonna guess that guy is going to pee off alot of people and the criticism of "That's not enough" is going to be instantly raised.

You guys want to take away a man's dream for a poor decision. The woman got hit in the nose and cut. She should be taken care of medically and have a nice injury settlement, and the player should lose a year MAX. To do more is not setting an example, it's going over the line. Spreewell choked his coach in malice and was suspended a year. Is this worse than that?

You tell me to imagine if this is my son. Have you done the same? What if this pitcher was your son. Worked his entire life to realize his major league dream and now someone wants to take it away for a bad decision in a heated momment. Your kidding yourself if you don't think the fans encited this guy, I've heard people heckling at baseball games, it would drive most people to throw a punch. This guy is had a responsibility to turn the cheek, but he's human, and humans make mistakes, we shouldn't make another one by ending this man's career.

J

joethecrow

JSin I agree with you 100%. I am glad that level headed people are put in charge of this guys life and the future decisions, and not some armchair internet commissioners.

RoyalDiva said:
And just what would you two say if you were the one who got hit?? Can we just call you names and say you deserved it?
Call me with the check. I'd probably crawl over the crowd to swing on the guy, but what does taking his career do for me. That just makes him less likely to be able to pay me. I wouldn't care how long he was suspended as long as I was medically taken care of, got a good injury settlement and maybe some season tickets to the A's games (to sell).

And if we were on the street and I called you the names I hear at ballgames, I wouldn't be surprised to find a chair flying at me.

Y'all HAVE to be kidding.

Banned for LIFE for throwing an aluminum chair during a fight?

I'd hate to know what you think the appropriate penalty for DWI or Enron executives would be. I'm sure it would involve sharpened bamboo and exposed entrails.

mcsluggo said:
Y'all HAVE to be kidding.

Banned for LIFE for throwing an aluminum chair during a fight?

I'd hate to know what you think the appropriate penalty for DWI or Enron executives would be. I'm sure it would involve sharpened bamboo and exposed entrails.
Oh I'm sorry, was it an Enron executive who threw the chair?? : )~

I think the banning idea is more to send a message to other players who have the same violent tendencies. Not only that, but how much money does the MLB league want to pay for these injured fan lawsuits? I wouldn't be suprised if they did ban him just on account of that.

J

joethecrow

RoyalDiva said:
And just what would you two say if you were the one who got hit?? Can we just call you names and say you deserved it?
And I am big guy, 6'2", 210 lbs. If I got a chair thrown at me, I would now have a chair to throw back. I am of Latin blood just like Francisco, and I can be hot headed myself. So yeah, I would have thrown the chair back more than likely...although, I have been hit in the nose, although inadvertantly, it broke it just the same, I managed to keep my cool at the time, so that's tough to say. Also, I was recently in a car accident, and was rear ended in my truck I just paid off two weeks before, the first thing I immediately thought after my head bounced off the window, I turned to my lady friend who was in the car with me "Nice, I am going to get paid". So with that said, although my temper sometimes gets the best of me, I can be level headed at the same time...so knowing that a major league baseball player just chucked a bullpen throne at me, for something I said, I would be laughing my rear off with blood running down my face thinking, I am going to get paid. Alot.

Oh and Diva, should William Ligue Jr. get life for attacking Tom gamboa last year?

The defense is going to prove that this woman has been hit in the nose by two other men within the last 48 hours and that she was heard bragging to her friends about the incident. Her name will be dragged through the mud and charges will be dropped. Afterwards, the accused will make a statement saying that he thought she had consented to being hit in the nose with a chair, but now sees that he was wrong.

joethecrow said:
And I am big guy, 6'2", 210 lbs. If I got a chair thrown at me, I would now have a chair to throw back. I am of Latin blood just like Francisco, and I can be hot headed myself. So yeah, I would have thrown the chair back more than likely...although, I have been hit in the nose, although inadvertantly, it broke it just the same, I managed to keep my cool at the time, so that's tough to say. Also, I was recently in a car accident, and was rear ended in my truck I just paid off two weeks before, the first thing I immediately thought after my head bounced off the window, I turned to my lady friend who was in the car with me "Nice, I am going to get paid". So with that said, although my temper sometimes gets the best of me, I can be level headed at the same time...so knowing that a major league baseball player just chucked a bullpen throne at me, for something I said, I would be laughing my rear off with blood running down my face thinking, I am going to get paid. Alot.

Oh and Diva, should William Ligue Jr. get life for attacking Tom gamboa last year?
Monday morning quarterbacking. Being that you feel the need to refer to the victim as a fat wench, I wonder whose side you really are on. Anyway, who is William Ligue Jr. and Tom Gamboa? I don't know much about baseball and it's incidents.

RoyalDiva said:
Monday morning quarterbacking.
Which is what we are all doing, you included. Unless you have spent 81 days this year getting yelled the most inappopriate things you could think of.