Artest arrested

Status
Not open for further replies.
$50,000? For a domestic viooence issue?

I hope that was set in relation to Ron's income, otherwise how serious was this incident?

a 50,000 dollar bail is really not that much. to get out on bail you only have to pay a very small portion of that money. you would have to pay the 50,000 if the person left town and did not show up to court.

Bricklayer

Don't Make Me Use The Bat
a 50,000 dollar bail is really not that much. to get out on bail you only have to pay a very small portion of that money. you would have to pay the 50,000 if the person left town and did not show up to court.
Thanks for the description, but Baller...I'm a lawyer. ;)

[FONT=&quot]As an aside, I don't think that there is actually anything wrong with people holding buy guilty until proven innocent... it is in the courts that the opposite must be held true, because otherwise you have false accusations that disrupt society.

Back to the topic: Wow. This is awful... I was also under the impression that Artest's issues were only on the court... I hope this is just a misunderstanding...
[/FONT]
Isn't it innocent until proven guilty only in court?! If it wasn't than how would the cops be able to arrest anyone :)

Ashamed to admit that I think I got that from Carusso on CSI:Miami :)

I hope that was set in relation to Ron's income, otherwise how serious was this incident?
Considering that she declined medical attention, and he poses no flight risk whatsoever, I'd say it was a judge taking an opportunity to look "tough on crime" and little more.

Warhawk

Give blood and save a life!
Staff member
Wow. Just....wow.

Let's hope it was just a minor confrontation blown out of proportion and not something serious - I've known a couple things like that to happen over the years (extended family or friends of friends). Sometimes emotions get the best of us and make us do things we normally wouldn't - on both sides (calling the police when it really isn't warranted and blowing it out of proportion isn't exactly unheard of, but then again, neither is spousal abuse, unfortunately).

Hope everyone's OK in the Artest homestead.

I've heard of $10,000, but not this high before. I'm pretty sure bail for that around here is set by how serious.

If it's true, I'm disgusted.

Report: Artest arrested on domestic abuse charges

03/05/2007 14:26 PM - Ron Artest has reportedly been arrested and charged with domestic violence.

Last month Ron Artest was cited for neglecting dogs on his property, and his troubles have now escalated. The Sacramento Kings star was arrested on Monday morning in his home on domestic violence charges, according to a report on the Sacramento Bee Web site.

Placer County Sheriff's officials announced the charges and scheduled a 7 p.m. ET news conference to discuss the incident.According to the report, police responded to a a 911 call at 9:23 a.m. PT, and deputies found the woman who made the call at Artest's Loomis, Calif., home. After interviewing the woman and the player separately, police arrested Artest.He was charged at the Placer County Jail with domestic violence and using force or violence to prevent his victim from reporting a crime, the Bee reported, citing officials involved in the case.In early February, it was revealed that Artest paid $1,942 in boarding and impound fees because some of his dogs had spent a total of 77 nights at the Placer County pound since July. Animal control officers had gone to Artest's five-acre estate seven times in that period in response to callers' complaints about dogs being loose or not being fed. Artest completed anger management for a domestic violence charge in 2004, and the mother of his children was charged with the same crime for hitting Artest in 2002.
(http://abclocal.go.com/wjrt/story?section=sports&id=5094153)
Apparently this is not the first time after all.

Entity

Hall of Famer
Whos to say his wife wasn't beating on him and he defended himself and accidentally hit her and being a good man didn't tell the police she hit him and he takes the rap to keep her out of trouble. What a nice guy.

Apparently these two have been at odds for a while now. It might turn out that it was a violent argument on both sides, and when she realized that he was a 6'6 monster she called the cops in a fit of rage. But of course I can't be for sure, I don't want to speculate. I'm just hoping it's not as bad as it sounds...

VF21

Super Moderator Emeritus
SME
I have to wonder if there's any kind of clause in his contract with the Kings that would allow them to cut him lose IF (and it's a big IF at this point) this whole thing is as bad as it could be...

Damn. Just damn.

:(

Tick, tock, tick, tock, tick, tock...

Boom.

Just examine the man's history, which will no doubt be exposed in tomorrow's paper (again). Then ask yourself one more time: Am I surprised?

Look in your heart for the sincere answer.

Detroit. The dogs. Wanting to work at Circuit City. Wanting time off to promote his squeaky-voiced rap album. Even that haircut he just got. It's all part of a disturbing pattern.

Am I surprised? No. Sickened is more like it.

For his sake, I hope he hires the same lawyer Musselman got. Maybe Ron can get 48 hours of in-home detention, too (all timed so it doesn't interfere with a road trip, of course; that's the most important part.).

I want to go out on a limb here and make a prediction: Ron's going to get fired. I hope he's played his last, PROVIDED he gets a conviction.

With the stuff going on about the dogs, I just can't believe anyone who says this surprises them.

What would Ron be doing if the NBA didn't exist?

Warhawk

Staff member
Just idly wondering if the trade deadline would have been more interesting for this team if this had happened a few weeks ago....

Whos to say his wife wasn't beating on him and he defended himself and accidentally hit her and being a good man didn't tell the police she hit him and he takes the rap to keep her out of trouble. What a nice guy.
Yeah, I'm the wifey went around smacking him and he defended himself, maybe got a little ticked and pushed her or something. He's a big dude so she could have went flying. Maybe they were fighting on who was going to let the dogs out! or Maybe Ron's still mad that his wife made him drive the little car that he hurt his back in, maybe his knees! :p

This is a serious situation and I don't mean to crack jokes about it. Man has the Kings organization had some bad press this year with Muss and now Artest with his dogs and now his wife. He really doesn't do good with animals does he? :p
Wow this has to be an all time low in Kingsland with the coach, and the underachieving and non cohesiveness, Bibby heavily shopped around, Artest with the dog neglect, now the wife problems.

I say he's innocent until proven guilty.

Domestic violence is a messy issue. You cannot fairly assume that there is a mousy little beaten down woman who is being beaten down by an evil man whenever the domestic violence charge comes up. Women can be guilty of domestic violence too. Any number of things could have happened that would not be Ron's fault, he may have been defending himself. We don't know.

Let's wait for all of the informaiton before passing judgement.

VF21

Super Moderator Emeritus
SME
Well, his reputation won't help him here.
Exactly.

Artest's wife was charged with domestic violence in 2002. Artest was convicted in 2004 and had to attend Anger Management courses, if memory serves...

He may be innocent until proven guilty but this ain't his first dance.

Exactly.

Artest's wife was charged with domestic violence in 2002. Artest was convicted in 2004 and had to attend Anger Management courses, if memory serves...

He may be innocent until proven guilty but this ain't his first dance.

Can we void his contract if he's found guilty? Also will he get a suspension from Mr. Stern?

VF21

Super Moderator Emeritus
SME
Can we void his contract if he's found guilty?
Don't know. It depends on what his contract says.

Also will he get a suspension from Mr. Stern?

Also don't know. And we still don't know much in the way of details. We can all guess, speculate, pontificate, etc. but right now the only thing we know for sure is that he was arrested, bail was set and he's probably already out of jail...

There's a press conference set for 4 p.m. that's going to be streamed live on the News10.net site.

pdxKingsFan

So Ordinary That It's Truly Quite Extraordinary
Staff member
I do believe in innocent until proven guilty but wow. This sucks. And so do some of the comments on this thread. Spousal abuse is nothing to snark at.

From a basketball standpoint the NBA is usually consistent in not taking action on off court matters until the law has run its course so don't expect serious fall out until the offseason.

Warhawk

Staff member
There's a press conference set for 4 p.m. that's going to be streamed live on the News10.net site.
I assume it will also be on 1140 am. At least I can pretend to work with the radio on. Watching a conference on the screen just looks bad. ;)

VF21

Super Moderator Emeritus
SME
Am I the only one who thinks this story won't have consequences for the kings ?
I can only assume you don't understand the circumstances for you to make that comment.

Yes, you are probably the only one who thinks this story won't have consequences for the Kings.

Bricklayer

Don't Make Me Use The Bat
Am I the only one who thinks this story won't have consequences for the kings ?
Well depends on in what field you mean. This a) ramps fan disgust up 1 level; b) ramps Ron's trade level down 1 more level; but c) will it matter on court? Who knows. Its like Muss's DUI, it eats at the fabric and damages the franchise, but is hard to define statistically.

The news conference is on the radio and they are saying that Artest and his wife were arguing. There was some shoving and then Artest's wife called the police. They said Artest was waiting outside for the cops and was cooperative.

Status
Not open for further replies.