Another draft discussion (split from coach thread)

Entity

Hall of Famer
Brick I take it you are disappointed in the whole situation. ;) lol. I know what your real beef is. You know we are going to suck next year, maybe bad enough to finish dead last and get a high % shot at #1 pick. So your pissed off because it wasn't this year. Oden will not be there next year or Durant. I guess we have to hope for somebody to step up in the college ranks and be the next whatever. hey is Mayo coming out next year.

Brick I take it you are disappointed in the whole situation. ;) lol. I know what your real beef is. You know we are going to suck next year, maybe bad enough to finish dead last and get a high % shot at #1 pick. So your pissed off because it wasn't this year. Oden will not be there next year or Durant. I guess we have to hope for somebody to step up in the college ranks and be the next whatever. hey is Mayo coming out next year.
Mayo is a headcase and god help any franchise that pins their hopes on him.

I would take Derrick Rose myself.

Kingster

Hall of Famer
Mayo has "issues". Kevin Love, on the other hand, could be extremely good.

Shoot.. Give me a PG this year, and then DeAndre Jordan next year, and I will be a happy camper. I have been watching all availabl clips on this guy, and he is pretty damn good. I am sure after a year of college he will move to the top 5.

I say we get another draft pick this year (trading a player plus #10 for a #5-#8 and draft Noah)

Capt. Factorial

trifolium contra tempestatem subrigere certum est
Staff member
I live about 5 miles from Kevin's High school, Lake Oswego High, and he is the real deal.
Love looks like he's unusually skilled for his age, but does he have the size it takes to play in the NBA? As a UCLA fan I worry a bit because he seems to get listed a lot at 6' 9", which makes me worried that he's really 6' 7.5" without shoes.

But the outlet passes to Collison next year are going to be ridiculous.

Love looks like he's unusually skilled for his age, but does he have the size it takes to play in the NBA? As a UCLA fan I worry a bit because he seems to get listed a lot at 6' 9", which makes me worried that he's really 6' 7.5" without shoes.

Love is solid. He plays as if he is 6'10, and looks it too. He is going to be good, really good.

Kingster

Hall of Famer

I couldn't agree more about his outlet passes to Collison. I haven't seen anybody do what he does on the outlet since Bill Walton. I think he's listed about 6'10. Can shoot from 3 point line. Strong. GREAT hands. Good quickness. Ridiculous passer. And from all the accounts I've read, incredible competitor. I don't think he's going to have a problem in the NBA. I think height is overated. Strength is what you really need on the defensive and offensive end, and he's got it. He's never going to be a great shot blocker, but he will sell-out and take charges and he has the basketball IQ and footspeed to do it. This guy is going to be a blast to watch. Once he gets indoctrinated into UCLA defense, he's going to make his value that much greater for the NBA.

Bricklayer

Don't Make Me Use The Bat
I think height is overated.
Have you seen my list of the elite PFs around the NBA? Height is hardly overrated. You get past the exception who proves the rule guy in Brand, and its strictly a 65'9" and up club, with the true megastars all being nearly 7'0". KG, Duncan, Dirk, Jermaine, Bosh, Gasol, Howard etc. Those extra couple of inches are especially useful on defense, where that length let's them be effective shotblockers and intimidators, while the stubbier mere 6'9" stars (Boozer, Randolph, maybe one or otheres -- Amare is a natural PF for instance) are often far more effective on the offensive side of the floor than defensive side.

The descriptions of Love make him sound like CWebb (high IQ, great hands, great passer etc.). If so, that would be nifty. But if so, he probably going top 2 or 3 as well.

I am not sure that Love is as tall as Webber and he doesn't look to be as athletic as Webber either. From the clips I have seen on youtube, he looks to be a bit of a tweener but impressive game though!