Analysis Paralysis McNair

I never gave him a free pass, but I understood the desire to win with Cousins which is why I didn't harp on the Philly deal as much as some. That was necessitated by the bad moves of past regimes. Just like Monte's biggest criticisms so far have come from Vlade's failings.
Yeah I didn’t blame him either. Vlade’s trades otherwise were pretty good. Even his drop down from 10 could have been quite good if he didn’t completely F up the picks.

If we could have Vlade’s trades and Monte’s drafting we might have a competent GM.

Can you explain why teams do this? What is in it for GS for example in dumping Pachall???
Luxury tax.

The teams pay multiples of salary dollars over the tax. I didn’t even mention Boston giving up 16 to dump Kemba because 17M wouldn’t cover it or the previous year Boston dumping a late first. If you are a repeater it gets worse so teams will try to avoid it. A trade exception is valuable because you can take on a player without sending salary back. For a team trying to avoid the tax that can be gold.

If you have early seconds you can even more easily execute those trades because they teams will want to trade a first round pick with a guaranteed salary for a second which doesn’t have a cap hold.

Yeah I didn’t blame him either. Vlade’s trades otherwise were pretty good. Even his drop down from 10 could have been quite good if he didn’t completely F up the picks.

If we could have Vlade’s trades and Monte’s drafting we might have a competent GM.
My big knock on him was that he was absolutely terrible as a talent evaluator. The two saving graces with that 10 pick are that Portland managed to blow it even worse than we did and we got Barnes from JJ.

My big knock on him was that he was absolutely terrible as a talent evaluator. The two saving graces with that 10 pick are that Portland managed to blow it even worse than we did and we got Barnes from JJ.
yep but he judged the depth of the draft correctly with the trade. Consider he could have drafted Collins and Anunoby as his starting forwards with those picks. He just might be the worst drafter ever.