Analysis: Kings could get relief from Heat

http://www.sacbee.com/100/story/394470.html

One wouldn't think the retention of point guard Charlie Bell in Milwaukee would have much to do with the Kings, nor would the news that small forward Mickael Pietrus might stay with Golden State after all.
But in a roundabout way, the Kings might be the benefactors of two failed attempts by Miami to add to its roster. And maybe, just maybe, this quiet offseason in Sacramento will have a loud finish.
While the Kings slowly design their master plan for the future, the Heat needs to improve now to continue its struggle for Eastern Conference supremacy. With Shaquille O'Neal in his later days, Dwyane Wade in his prime and the embarrassment that came after their feeble defense of the 2005-06 crown in last season's playoffs (a first-round sweep by Chicago), a new piece -- or pieces -- is needed, pronto.

It's why Miami president/coach Pat Riley offered Bell a five-year, $18 million deal recently, why the Heat worked so hard to secure a sign-and-trade that would bring Pietrus its way and why the team hoped the Kings would cooperate earlier in the summer when they showed interest in Mike Bibby and Ron Artest. But the pursuits of Bell and Pietrus fell short last week, when the Bucks surprisingly matched the offer for their restricted free agent and the Pietrus discussions hit a dead end.

Might the Heat look toward Sacramento again? It's conceivable.
According to a league source, a trade was discussed this summer that would have sent Bibby to Miami and brought "White Chocolate" back to Sacramento. Former Kings point guard Jason Williams and forward Udonis Haslem were offered in return, and possibly draft picks. Additionally, Miami was seriously interested in Artest, but the Kings didn't appear eager to move the small forward.
The consensus seems to be that -- barring an offer they can't refuse -- the Kings want to see Artest in action this season and feel somewhat confident he will both produce and avoid the off-court controversy that marred last season.
But Bibby could still be in play, and here's why.
Williams has an expiring contract, with his final season paying him a sum of $8.9 million that is both cheaper and one season less than Bibby's contract ($13.5 million in 2007-08, with a player option for 2008-09 at $14.5 million). Salary cap space would come sooner than expected for the Kings, and the collective EKG of their frustrated fan base could receive a decent spike with J-Will and his once-dazzling game back in town. If it's going to be a transitional period for the franchise, why not make it an exciting transitional period? The only one upset might be second-year forward Justin Williams, who would lose the rights to his nickname in this scenario.
As for Haslem, he's a quality role player who is only 27 with a contract that has three seasons and $19.9 million remaining. But the offseason signing of Mikki Moore could come into play here, as the power forward contingent now consists of Moore, Shareef Abdur-Rahim, Kenny Thomas and Justin Williams. None other than the little-used Williams, however, rebounds at a higher rate than Haslem -- a point of note considering the Kings were nearly the worst rebounding team in the league last season.
Finally, the draft picks fit into the Kings' objective of building with young talent and would be a key component.
Bibby, meanwhile, has done well as a third scoring option on a playoff contender before and could do so again. The defensive attention paid to Wade and Shaq would take pressure off Bibby and allow for a revival. For the Kings, the fact that he'd be doing it in the Eastern Conference would make it all palatable.
Kings basketball president Geoff Petrie is in Europe. When he returns, it wouldn't be surprising if he hears from Riley.

What best trade scenarios with miami heats as our partner

Using the News Article What would be a fair but Good Deal with Miami.

I Think Any Deals That involves Miami Should include Dorrell Wright and then what ever needed to make the deal work financially...What do you think?

No thanks. I'll Keep Mike, rather than an injury prone Jason Williams. And we don't need another forward. I would like to see how the present teams plays fpr Reggie before making any moves. If this deal gets done, it would be only to clear cap space.

yes, true this deal would be for cap relief but also with a young prospect...its not as if this team with its current make up is going to content for a ring....i think we should focus on rebuilding especially with our rookie coach. Now is the time to start making changes in order to see more success in the future.

A

AriesMar27

i was thinking... if we could get houston in on the trade and send hsalem to houston for alston/novak... that wouldnt be that bad.... maybe add a pick from each team... we'd be set... to draft a pg next year anyways so why not...

williams/alston/douby
martin/salmons
artest/garcia/novak
reef/thomas/williams
miller/hawes/moore

better yet we could maybe swing a 4th team in to the trade like the cavs and trade thomas and one of houstons pgs for drew gooden...

Bricklayer

Don't Make Me Use The Bat
i was thinking... if we could get houston in on the trade and send hsalem to houston for alston/novak... that wouldnt be that bad.... maybe add a pick from each team... we'd be set... to draft a pg next year anyways so why not...

williams/alston/douby
martin/salmons
artest/garcia/novak
reef/thomas/williams
miller/hawes/moore

better yet we could maybe swing a 4th team in to the trade like the cavs and trade thomas and one of houstons pgs for drew gooden...

Oh no. Nobody, including us, wants any part of that Rafer contract. Well, Geoff might. Its ****ty enough to fit right into his collection. But to any reasonable person its basketball kyptonite at this point ala a second Kenny Thomas.

The appropriate deals involving Houston as a third team -- the ones where we actually come out of it without actually making our salary situation worse, involve JWill and a pick to us, Haslem to Houston, and Sura and a pick to us from the Rockets. Then you are talking.
1) JWill and Sura are enders. As good or better contractwise as Bibby.
2) you get two (or more) picks, although late in the round because they ar good teams.
3) you unload Mike before he hurts your draft position, and hopefully get a higher lottery pick in a draft that is supposed to be deep in PGs.
4) Jwill returns to entertain the crowds in the rebuild year and maybe retire where he started out.
5) in the meantmie JWill's balky knee means your young wannabe PGs likely get their chances to either sink or swim over the course of the season and you have a much better idea of what Douby, Shakur (maybe) etc. are or are not by next summer.

Last edited:
i'm all for bringing in Dorell..Salmons wont be here all the time. As a matter of fact Salmons might very well be a trading chip imo. Something like Bibby Salmons for expiring Dorell and picks...especially if you do that 3 team deal with Huston...

A

AriesMar27

Oh no. Nobody, including us, wants any part of that Rafer contract. Well, Geoff might. Its ****ty enough to fit right into his collection. But to any reasonable person its basketball kyptonite at this point ala a second Kenny Thomas.

The appropriate deals involving Houston as a third team -- the ones where we actually come out of it without actually making our salary situation worse, involve JWill and a pick to us, Haslem to Houston, and Sura and a pick to us from the Rockets. Then you are talking.
1) JWill and Sura are enders. As good or better contractwise as Bibby.
2) you get two (or more) picks, although late in the round because they ar good teams.
3) you unload Mike before he hurts your draft position, and hopefully get a higher lottery pick in a draft that is supposed to be deep in PGs.
4) Jwill returns to entertain the crowds in the rebuild year and maybe retire where he started out.
5) in the meantmie JWill's balky knee means your young wannabe PGs likely get their chances to either sink or swim over the course of the season and you have a much better idea of what Douby, Shakur (maybe) etc. are or are not by next summer.
only reason i used alston was because the length of his contract doesnt hurt our 09 offseason capspace.... his contract ends with everyone elses.... i dont like him at all but we really dont need haslem... you could sub alston for any combo of players i could care less... it was just easier to use his name instead of sura and lucas... since atleast with alston you would still have a starting pg going into next year... with sura and jwill ending this year, all we would have is douby under conract.... and unless we get a top 5 pick to guarantee a new starting pg i wouldnt want to risk having no starting pg next season...

Bricklayer

Don't Make Me Use The Bat
only reason i used alston was because the length of his contract doesnt hurt our 09 offseason capspace....
A decent point and solid approach except that once upon a time, like a whole three months ago, Geoff was supposed to be targeting the 08 offseason, not 09. Of course a week later he signed Mikki freakin Moore to a deal that was partially guaranteed past 08, so I don't know anymore. But in any case even if you have the offseason right, and we are 3 more years away from our rebuild (meaning nearly SIX years after trading away Webb :eek:), and despite our apparent love affair with MLE talents, if you take on another cap choking seaweed contract you need to at the very least get a pick out of the deal for doing the other team the favor of loading their crap onto your roster.

Last edited:
A

AriesMar27

A decent point and solid approach except that once upon a time, like a whole three months ago, Geoff was supposed to be targeting the 08 offseason, not 09. Of course a week later he signed Mikki freakin Moore to a deal that was partially guaranteed past 08, so I don't know anymore. But in any case even if you have the offseason right, and we are 3 more years away from our rebuild (meaning nearly SIX years after trading away Webb :eek:), and despite our apparent love affair with MLE talents, if you take on another cap choking seaweed contract you need to at the very least get a pick out of the deal for doing the other team the favor of loading their crap onto your roster.
oh, okay... whatever... his contract ended the same year as miller, reef and thomas' according to realgm so i thought, "why not?". if we can deal with having thomas on the team then we can deal with having alston on the team.

as long as we dont waste our mle on garbage next season and just resign our young players....