[Amick] No discussions for Monte extension

Warhawk

Give blood and save a life!
Staff member
To their knowledge there have been no discussions but it’s not like we missed a deadline or something. I have a feeling there’s nothing to see here and people just looking for more reasons to point and laugh at the organization or receive clicks on their story. Meh
Hopefully this is the case and he is extended soon. But it isn't a good look to go into the offseason not having even discussed it. If they had said "We'll look into it this summer" or "We'll take care of it after the Finals are over" (as if agents can't work on this any time) that would probably make folks a little more comfortable about his situation.

All the Kings do is give players/people undeserving contracts/extensions thank god they waited if the team makes the playoffs (at least be 500.) than give him a 2-4 year extension if not he should be gone. The whole well we had to give him a extension/overpay thing is ridiculous can someone actually earn a contract in this organization rather than be mediocre and being rewarded for it.

What if the Haliburton (I don't think he's as good as some claimed) for Sabonis trade backfires next season and you extend that guy before the season starts.
At some point it's about getting the organization and front office to run correctly. That means matching the contract lengths of GM and coaches. It's about fixing past mistakes, not about rewarding Monte. Vivek allows Monte to trade Halliburton and hire a new coach. This sets the team on a new path. Why let a guy alter the franchise if you're unsure of him.

Across a whole... two seasons, while being required to carry Vlade's baggage at head coach by directive of ownership.
Lest people forget, Petrie started his GM stint in Sacramento going 39-43, 39-43, 34-48, 27-55, & 27-23 (50 game shortened season). It takes time for a GM to weed through the muck and turn a team around. Being impatient is the best way to keep the team swimming in the muck.

funkykingston

Super Moderator
Staff member
At some point it's about getting the organization and front office to run correctly. That means matching the contract lengths of GM and coaches. It's about fixing past mistakes, not about rewarding Monte. Vivek allows Monte to trade Halliburton and hire a new coach. This sets the team on a new path. Why let a guy alter the franchise if you're unsure of him.
Exactly. Either you have confidence in your hires or you don't.

As fans we can debate whether McNair is doing a good job or not, but as an owner I think you have to pick a direction and have some conviction about it.

It's crazy, because Vivek keeps telling us who he is. Some people just won't listen. Even the fact that Monte came out and used the Jazz band reference in his first press conference. It made me want to puke. The Tech guy's way of doing things is content turnover, dog eat dog, best idea wins, short term positions. The average length of stay of an executive at a tech company is under 4 years now. Shocking that is what we have seen here. It's apples and oranges from a business standpoint. Literally all anyone in and outside the organization is clamoring for is consistency. That is it.

Is Monte the best GM in the NBA (we have no way to quantify, really)? Who knows, but he's not a bad one. Any GM working for the Kings is going to be 3 steps behind. We have probably the smallest front office support staff in the NBA, the least scouts, one of if not the smallest budget. Yet, he drafted two homers players at the positions he did and made some pretty decent moves on the fringes. Were they all perfect? Hell, no.

Look what Portland just did. I'd argue that McCollum trade was awful, yet that GM just got an extension. At some point you gotta pick a horse and run with it for a while. Again, Monte may not be the epitome of the best GM (I personally think hes done pretty well) but I don't think he's going to sabotage this team...unless he has no security moving forward. That's when you get home run swings to try and save a job.

It's crazy, because Vivek keeps telling us who he is. Some people just won't listen. Even the fact that Monte came out and used the Jazz band reference in his first press conference. It made me want to puke. The Tech guy's way of doing things is content turnover, dog eat dog, best idea wins, short term positions. The average length of stay of an executive at a tech company is under 4 years now. Shocking that is what we have seen here. It's apples and oranges from a business standpoint. Literally all anyone in and outside the organization is clamoring for is consistency. That is it.

Is Monte the best GM in the NBA (we have no way to quantify, really)? Who knows, but he's not a bad one. Any GM working for the Kings is going to be 3 steps behind. We have probably the smallest front office support staff in the NBA, the least scouts, one of if not the smallest budget. Yet, he drafted two homers players at the positions he did and made some pretty decent moves on the fringes. Were they all perfect? Hell, no.

Look what Portland just did. I'd argue that McCollum trade was awful, yet that GM just got an extension. At some point you gotta pick a horse and run with it for a while. Again, Monte may not be the epitome of the best GM (I personally think hes done pretty well) but I don't think he's going to sabotage this team...unless he has no security moving forward. That's when you get home run swings to try and save a job.
This.

Plus it takes time for a GM to implement their plan. They need a coach, draft picks, free agents and trades to build the team around their vision. If you hire a GM halfway into another GM's plan, they have to undue the parts of the previous GM's plan that they didn't like and then begin to build around their own. That doesn't happen overnight and when money comes into play, it may take even longer if you wind up stuck with a coach you don't want.

McNair isn't perfect but he's well above average for a Kings FO hire. No need to throw that away and add him to the Joerger/Malone/Petrie list of people they never should have gotten rid of just because he can't turn chicken s*** into chicken salad in 3 years with no top 3 draft picks and an inability to sign high level free agents due to the market/owner.

funkykingston

Super Moderator
Staff member
This.

Plus it takes time for a GM to implement their plan. They need a coach, draft picks, free agents and trades to build the team around their vision. If you hire a GM halfway into another GM's plan, they have to undue the parts of the previous GM's plan that they didn't like and then begin to build around their own. That doesn't happen overnight and when money comes into play, it may take even longer if you wind up stuck with a coach you don't want.

McNair isn't perfect but he's well above average for a Kings FO hire. No need to throw that away and add him to the Joerger/Malone/Petrie list of people they never should have gotten rid of just because he can't turn chicken s*** into chicken salad in 3 years with no top 3 draft picks and an inability to sign high level free agents due to the market/owner.
All true.

The other important point is that by nature a GM should be looking long term and big picture. Players and coaches should be focused on winning individual games - the front office should be focused on building a long term contender.

When you put your GM on a short leash it changes that approach. Now they have to (at least partially, if not fully) be focused on the short term. That can work if you're a GM in Miami or LA or maybe Brooklyn. It's not a recipe for success for a GM in Sacramento.

This.

I'm just sick of all the stupid wasted years. McNair has spent the last 2 years having to clean out the Vlade era. Now he's on the chopping block with a freshly hired 4 year coach?

Give McNair-Brown 3 years to see what they can do. If they're bad, can them together and start over with a fresh GM/power structure and coach together. McNair should have never been allowed to hire a new coach if his job actually wasn't safe; I would have rather him been fired and the new GM got to pick his coach.I'm not even asking this organization to be good persay; I'm asking them to just stop making decisions that will have a 0% chance of working.

pdxKingsFan

So Ordinary That It's Truly Quite Extraordinary
Staff member
I'm just sick of all the stupid wasted years. McNair has spent the last 2 years having to clean out the Vlade era. Now he's on the chopping block with a freshly hired 4 year coach?

Give McNair-Brown 3 years to see what they can do. If they're bad, can them together and start over with a fresh GM/power structure and coach together. McNair should have never been allowed to hire a new coach if his job actually wasn't safe; I would have rather him been fired and the new GM got to pick his coach.I'm not even asking this organization to be good persay; I'm asking them to just stop making decisions that will have a 0% chance of working.
Vlade also had a big mess to clean up, did it inefficiently, and it sunk the franchise even worse (of course all he had to do was nail one frickin pick and we'd be in the WCF right now).

Vlade got 5 years. Even though 2 years in all he had to accomplish was a huge swing and miss in Free Agency which tied our draft capital down for years with pick swaps and an eventual lost pick (while we still owed another that never conveyed because we sucked that much).

Why the hell is a guy doing a better job after ~20 months uncertain about his status going into year 3?

Spike

Subsidiary Intermediary
Staff member

Vivek is playing checkers, while others are playing chess.

pdxKingsFan

So Ordinary That It's Truly Quite Extraordinary
Staff member
Vivek is playing checkers, while others are playing chess.
hopefully they just wanted to get the coach hired and are working on it right now. what if the Kings do start winning out of the gate. a more attractive team could poach him. even if Monte wants to bet on himself Vivek should at least add one more year right now.

We are also just assuming the worst because we have been bad so long. None of the recent events indicate Monte is on the verge of getting fired. If we make zero improvements to the roster, he whiffs on the draft choice and we finish bottom 8 again then yeh I expect he will not be retained. I don’t anticipate that happening.