[Amick] No discussions for Monte extension

They hired the coach so the biggest obstacle this presents was actually getting a coach hired while the GM's job is in peril. So short term I don't see this as much of anything to be that geeked about.

That said just extend him and tie it to Brown's tenure somehow. I'll let legal figure that out. But we absolutely can not go into a situation where a new GM comes in and can't hire the coach.

Lol

We know how this goes. We win 35 games, miss the playoffs, Monte isn’t extended, the new GM has to tolerate Brown for a season before he’s also fired.

Repeat infinity.
Lolzzzzzzzzz. I'm sure the ownership group was totally cool with the moving goal posts this year from our goal is to make the playoffs to our goal is to make the play in. After sucking and firing Walton it changed to our goal is to make the play in after obtaining Domas. And when that failed it was we got Domas in order to get a head start on next year.

They hired the coach so the biggest obstacle this presents was actually getting a coach hired while the GM's job is in peril. So short term I don't see this as much of anything to be that geeked about.

That said just extend him and tie it to Brown's tenure somehow. I'll let legal figure that out. But we absolutely can not go into a situation where a new GM comes in and can't hire the coach.
The simplest solution is to fire Monte and Brown at the same time. Brown would require a buyout. Monte would cost $0.

"Though Brown signed a four-year deal, sources say Kings GM Monte McNair is entering the final season of his contract and there have been no talks about a possible extension. No matter how you look at it, that means there’s significant pressure on McNair as the Kings try — yet again — to break the league-long playoff drought that has become the bane of their existence.

Sources say McNair’s status was a focal point for many of the coaching candidates during the process, with some having concerns about the lack of contractual commitment to the front office and what it might mean for their (would-be) partnership."

https://theathletic.com/3313970/2022/05/16/suns-luka-doncic-giannis-lakers-nba/

Best GM we've had since Petrie and Vivek is making the exact same mistake he always makes. Putting undue pressure on guys to do what they're already attempting to do....except now they are under pressure to make more drastic and irrational decisions to keep their jobs instead of doing what's best for the franchise.

McNair better GM harder I guess.

Yeah - but in the interim they could give Monte a second year right now and make this story go away without putting much $$ at risk.
They would put more money at risk by extending McNair and then firing him at midseason or at the end of next year. Why take that risk when it's unnecessary? GMs rarely resign to take another GM position. The Kings would just be negotiating against themselves.

Alternatively, they could put in a one year option to release Brown at an agreed upon price. That gives the Kings and Brown the option of divorcing, should they suck next year. Brown doesn't have to work under a new GM. The Kings save money and start fresh at the GM and HC positions.

Or the Kings could just fire both at the same time and eat the negotiated buyout on Brown's contract.

They would put more money at risk by extending McNair and then firing him at midseason or at the end of next year. Why take that risk when it's unnecessary? GMs rarely resign to take another GM position. The Kings would just be negotiating against themselves.

Alternatively, they could put in a one year option to release Brown at an agreed upon price. That gives the Kings and Brown the option of divorcing, should they suck next year. Brown doesn't have to work under a new GM. The Kings save money and start fresh at the GM and HC positions.

Or the Kings could just fire both at the same time and eat the negotiated buyout on Brown's contract.
It would be nuts to not give Brown and Monte two years together. I definitely feel like there's no reason to extend him beyond adding a 4th year at this time, but they gave Brown a 4 year commitment and nothing Monte has done is worth firing this year. So give him one more year right now and then another 2 years to match Brown's deal if they are in the playoffs by the end of year 2.

Best GM we've had since Petrie and Vivek is making the exact same mistake he always makes. Putting undue pressure on guys to do what they're already attempting to do....except now they are under pressure to make more drastic and irrational decisions to keep their jobs instead of doing what's best for the franchise.

McNair better GM harder I guess.
It's honestly insanity how dumb Vivek is as an NBA owner. It has to be an ego thing right? Like how do you not see that making your GM play out his final year of his contract without an extension just encourages/forces him into making short-term moves to boost wins for next season? Rather than trying to build a team that can be a 5+ year playoff squad?

1) the team is locked into the new arena the city built for the team
2) none of the team's struggles are related to the city and/or its fans

why even suggest a move? it's a total insult to the city and its fans, and plays into some weird national media narrative that this is Sacramento's fault somehow and Vivek would behave rationally in Seattle or Las Vegas.

This is also possibly a non-story. Maybe no discussion because he maybe hasn't asked. If the team is in a good spot post all star break, asking price might be a little steeper. The man may be betting on himself.

It would be nuts to not give Brown and Monte two years together. I definitely feel like there's no reason to extend him beyond adding a 4th year at this time, but they gave Brown a 4 year commitment and nothing Monte has done is worth firing this year. So give him one more year right now and then another 2 years to match Brown's deal if they are in the playoffs by the end of year 2.
McNair is trending at a C average. I don’t see a reason to extend him. Just because he’s better than Vlade or Pete, it doesn’t mean he’s elite or even above average at this point. Dude has a half a season to either sink or swim.

But beyond all of that, three years, no playoffs, worse season ticket commitments heading into next year. The last fact is the most important to the owners. Always has been, always will be.

Also, this kind of thing puts more doubt into Sabonis extension. From everything we've seen, he's been 100% on board with everything Monte has been doing and likely had some input on the Brown coaching hire. He's representing the Kings at the Lotto, he's working out in Sac, etc. Everything he's said is he's all in on the Kings right now. Now the guy that brought him in and sold him on a vision might not be here after next season?

Just so so stupid. The first step to getting good players to actually stay here is a show of stability in the FO. Where they can know they're signing up for 3 years of a Monte-Brown connection.

Also, this kind of thing puts more doubt into Sabonis extension. From everything we've seen, he's been 100% on board with everything Monte has been doing and likely had some input on the Brown coaching hire. He's representing the Kings at the Lotto, he's working out in Sac, etc. Everything he's said is he's all in on the Kings right now. Now the guy that brought him in and sold him on a vision might not be here after next season?

Just so so stupid. The first step to getting good players to actually stay here is a show of stability in the FO. Where they can know they're signing up for 3 years of a Monte-Brown connection.
Sounds like Rudy Gay all over again.

"Welcome to basketball hell"

McNair is trending at a C average. I don’t see a reason to extend him. Just because he’s better than Vlade or Pete, it doesn’t mean he’s elite or even above average at this point. Dude has a half a season to either sink or swim.

But beyond all of that, three years, no playoffs, worse season ticket commitments heading into next year. The last fact is the most important to the owners. Always has been, always will be.
I give him at least a B. so we're just gonna disagree.

I don’t quite get it but on the other hand Amick said that the commitment to the front office was a focal point of the head coach position discussions. If that’s the case, Brown either wasn’t one who cared about having a front office partnership long term or he was ensured that a deal would get done

So wait, Monte only got a 3 year contract at the start? This is so baffling to me, because his first year was basically not a year. Covid shortened, he had like 2-3 weeks of an offseason in a brand new role with a brand new team and they ended up keeping the coach, I'm sure because they attempted som continuity, money played an issue but basically rolled the same roster back + halliburton. So the next season he sign Homes to a good deal, drafts Davion. Makes some fringe moves, then the blockbuster Sabonis trade. Now he almost done with his contract after hiring the new coach. WTF is going on here? This dude hasn't even had two full seasons. So bizarre.

Agreed. We finally have, at the least, competent leadership. Let's at least give them time to create a baseline of mediocrity, which is several steps above what we've seen during the past decade.

Is this the first whiff of Vivek’s patented move: Narcissistic Triangulation. Dumars is gone so let’s play Monte and Wes against each other to see who wants it more. Cynical, I know, but this dude has never not had this dynamic playing itself out since he’s owned the team. That mention the other day of Wes Wilcox having his ear set off the alarm bells.
I don't understand the uproar. Vivek prefers this type of structure.

Agree with the Wilcox nuggets. He's da new Vlade...ahem...Brandon Williams.

Also, notice how Vivek is offering new contracts to FO people, but not extending McNair? Hmmmmmmm......

It's honestly insanity how dumb Vivek is as an NBA owner. It has to be an ego thing right? Like how do you not see that making your GM play out his final year of his contract without an extension just encourages/forces him into making short-term moves to boost wins for next season? Rather than trying to build a team that can be a 5+ year playoff squad?
Agreed. Ordinarily, I try to be even-handed about this sort of thing, but Vivek continues to confound and frustrate. His tech-world mindset has always been one of "disruption," but it's just a sh*tty way to run an NBA franchise. Maintaining consistently high rates of turnover in the front office and among coaching hires is a recipe for punishment in the standings, especially when your GM and head coach pairings never get more than a season or two together. Presiding over that kind of instability does not promote a winning culture.

I have no idea if Monte McNair is the best possible man for the job. I do know that he's been better than any GM the Kings have hired since Geoff Petrie. Now that Monte's had a chance to bring in his own head coach, you extend him so that you can achieve some long-term stability while the fates of McNair and Brown are tied together. You don't make him operate under the black cloud of uncertainty that he won't be able to see the job through if the team underperforms expectations in his first season with this newly-built organizational structure. Vivek would do well to recognize that his beloved Warriors have remained successful in part because of the stability their franchise has experienced in the last decade, and the faith that their ownership group has in Bob Myers and Steve Kerr.

Agreed. Ordinarily, I try to be even-handed about this sort of thing, but Vivek continues to confound and frustrate. His tech-world mindset has always been one of "disruption," but it's just a sh*tty way to run an NBA franchise. Maintaining consistently high rates of turnover in the front office and among coaching hires is a recipe for punishment in the standings, especially when your GM and head coach pairings never get more than a season or two together. Presiding over that kind of instability does not promote a winning culture.

I have no idea if Monte McNair is the best possible man for the job. I do know that he's been better than any GM the Kings have hired since Geoff Petrie. Now that Monte's had a chance to bring in his own head coach, you extend him so that you can achieve some long-term stability while the fates of McNair and Brown are tied together. You don't make him operate under the black cloud of uncertainty that he won't be able to see the job through if the team underperforms expectations in his first season with this newly-built organizational structure. Vivek would do well to recognize that his beloved Warriors have remained successful in part because of the stability their franchise has experienced in the last decade, and the faith that their ownership group has in Bob Myers and Steve Kerr.
100%

Can't be understated too that Sabonis is on a 1.5 year timeline for us to show him we're serious about being a long-term playoff contender. There can't be any doubts in 2 more trade deadlines that he'll be resigning with the Kings.

I'd wager that if Monte isn't resigned and we have the same nonsense with a long-term coach contract with a GM that didn't hire him, that Sabonis is going to walk. He's not going to spend his prime years seeing us fall into the same pattern of failure over the last 8 years under Vivek. Especially since it's likely he was at least brought into the conversation about hiring Brown.

And like you said, step 1 of any good organization in any sport is the ownership-GM-Coach all being on the same page and having a long-term partnership. You don't hear a damn word about good owners who just let the people they hire to run the team...actually run the team. And guess what, they rake in a boatload of money because the teams are damn good and are a constant in the playoffs. It's the 100% constant across the board. This was something I'd hoped Vivek woke up to this off-season, but he's once again playing with fire letting McNair head into the season as a lame-duck. If Monte's job wasn't secure, they should have fired him and let a new GM-Coach partnership start on the same page.

As a player, why would I buy in to anything a coach was selling, if I knew that I only had to wait things out a year at the longest?

1) the team is locked into the new arena the city built for the team
2) none of the team's struggles are related to the city and/or its fans

why even suggest a move? it's a total insult to the city and its fans, and plays into some weird national media narrative that this is Sacramento's fault somehow and Vivek would behave rationally in Seattle or Las Vegas.
Regarding the first point, that won't necessarily stop a move from happening.

Regarding the second point, it was more said in jest and growing disdain for the franchise. It's just such a chore/mental struggle being a fan of this team. Which is why I've lessened d my "fanning" tremendously over the past decade, but more so in the last 5 years. I used to be irrational obsessed and watch every waking second. Read every rumor. Post on every forum. I've now told myself it's just basketball at the end of the day, and if it brings me limited or no joy being a fan of this team - so that's why I've at times resorted to saying they should leave.

My post mainly comes from frustration and what I've deemed to be priorities in my life now. Yes it can come across and extreme, but it's just hard for me to truly care. And in the end if they moved, I could be freed from my desire for a winning team that's from my hometown and I can just disregard them going forward

First 2 game wining streak next year and I'll be back in. But it's that extreme up and down that have made this team unhealthy for my mental. I really don't want them to move, but I can also easily move on.