Alvin Gentry relieved of head coaching duties

Not this time. He was an interim head coach who stuck with Walton's ineffective plan. He was absolutely mind-boggling with rotations, yet somehow ended up with a FO position for his troubles.

He did what was asked of him.

Some mental gymnastics here. The Kings lost because he stuck to Walton’s ineffective plan, but got an FO position, because he did what was asked of him, which was to not make the play-in and to not tank well enough?

Do you really believe the Kings should have finished with a worse record than the Blazers who finished the season 2-21 and the Pacers who had a worse record than us all season before trading their best player and trading for Buddy Hield?
I think the Kings didn't hit any of their post-trade goals.

Spike

Subsidiary Intermediary
Staff member
Some mental gymnastics here. The Kings lost because he stuck to Walton’s ineffective plan, but got an FO position, because he did what was asked of him, which was to not make the play-in and to not tank well enough?
The argument was that he was canned because of the roster. This is not the case. It's quite possible that once Walton was canned, the FO moved towards "next year." To that end:

• Haliburton was showcased for a trade
  • Illogical rotations/player usage resulted in losses
    • Post trade, Fox and Sabonis had some time to work together, but when the games mattered, Gentry's substitution patterns impacted the game in a negative way. "One of Barnes, Fox, and Sabonis should be on the floor at all times." Yet that was rarely the case. Why is that? As a coach, he's sending a message moving forward to the FO.
    • DDV not starting despite being the clear option.

If the FO was looking to win and really get into the play-in, rotations would look different. Gentry, while not a great coach, is not as incompetent as this past season would show. If he were truly going to be given the chance to be the head coach moving forward, he would have stripped down everything Walton was doing this year, and played more to the strengths of his team, with an eye towards next year.

He was not a casualty of "building around the wrong players." Let him enjoy his beer, and a FO job as his reward.

The argument was that he was canned because of the roster. This is not the case. It's quite possible that once Walton was canned, the FO moved towards "next year." To that end:

• Haliburton was showcased for a trade
  • Illogical rotations/player usage resulted in losses
    • Post trade, Fox and Sabonis had some time to work together, but when the games mattered, Gentry's substitution patterns impacted the game in a negative way. "One of Barnes, Fox, and Sabonis should be on the floor at all times." Yet that was rarely the case. Why is that? As a coach, he's sending a message moving forward to the FO.
    • DDV not starting despite being the clear option.

If the FO was looking to win and really get into the play-in, rotations would look different. Gentry, while not a great coach, is not as incompetent as this past season would show. If he were truly going to be given the chance to be the head coach moving forward, he would have stripped down everything Walton was doing this year, and played more to the strengths of his team, with an eye towards next year.

He was not a casualty of "building around the wrong players." Let him enjoy his beer, and a FO job as his reward.
I'm more confused than I was before.

The argument was that he was canned because of the roster. If the FO was looking to win and really get into the play-in, rotations would look different. The roster turned over, an all star was brought in, and the starting lineup had two new starters. The bench rotation changed as well. The play-in was a clear goal until the team continued to suck post-trade.

He was not a casualty of "building around the wrong players." Okay so now it's no longer Walton's fault, but it was the players fault? What did he do exactly to warrant an FO role? Failing up?

Spike

Subsidiary Intermediary
Staff member
I'm more confused than I was before.

The argument was that he was canned because of the roster. If the FO was looking to win and really get into the play-in, rotations would look different. The roster turned over, an all star was brought in, and the starting lineup had two new starters. The bench rotation changed as well. The play-in was a clear goal until the team continued to suck post-trade.

He was not a casualty of "building around the wrong players." Okay so now it's no longer Walton's fault, but it was the players fault? What did he do exactly to warrant an FO role? Failing up?
I can't decide if you're being genuine or obtuse. You can't see a coach bumbling a season away and then being rewarded with a FO position as something bigger?

I can't decide if you're being genuine or obtuse. You can't see a coach bumbling a season away and then being rewarded with a FO position as something bigger?
I'm just trying to understand your reasoning. Here's another one. Bumbling coaches usually do not get an FO position, no?

How many think Indiana with Hali will make the playoffs before the Kings with Fox? Seems Fox is always injured, and he cannot shoot to save his life. I have seen little to no improvement on Fox's behalf over the past couple years. Regression in shooting, and is still missing a 3rd of the season with random injuries.

Personally I would rather just get rid of Fox since we cannot rely on him. Keep Mitchell starting. He has confidence which I have always liked. Was hoping to see Mitchell and Hali together, but now it looks like it will be Mitchell and draft pick?

Tetsujin

The Game Thread Dude
How many think Indiana with Hali will make the playoffs before the Kings with Fox? Seems Fox is always injured, and he cannot shoot to save his life. I have seen little to no improvement on Fox's behalf over the past couple years. Regression in shooting, and is still missing a 3rd of the season with random injuries.

Personally I would rather just get rid of Fox since we cannot rely on him. Keep Mitchell starting. He has confidence which I have always liked. Was hoping to see Mitchell and Hali together, but now it looks like it will be Mitchell and draft pick?
I’m going to be charitable and assume you haven’t actually seen either of these teams play since the trade.

Tetsujin

The Game Thread Dude
I think the Kings have a better shot at the playoffs next year than the Pacers.
It’s weird because them losing out on the Cavs pick this season might actually make them more willing to try to go for the playoffs next season instead of just completing the tear down and moving Turner and Brogdan and Buddy.

Barring a complete metamorphosis from Fox this off-season, I don’t see the Kings winning. Domas and Fox operate best in the same space and the common assumption is better shooting and better defense from others will be the solution to the Kings woes. I think you need more individual space between Domas and Fox themselves and the only way to create that is better shooting from both and better passing from Fox. Plus better defense from both. I’m skeptical.

I think, long term, a Domas and Davion pairing would work better, because Davion provides elite defense and I think he’s going to be a better long term shooter than Fox. Plus he plays at whatever pace that is needed to win while Fox is stuck going 110 miles per hour.

So, yea, I think you’re right—barring a Fox metamorphosis (5% odds), Davion beasting and forcing a Fox trade or a tertiary role (50% odds), or the Kings somehow jumping into the top 3 (~42% odds) and moving Fox to a role best suited for him as the team’s third or fourth best player.

pdxKingsFan

So Ordinary That It's Truly Quite Extraordinary
Staff member
It’s weird because them losing out on the Cavs pick this season might actually make them more willing to try to go for the playoffs next season instead of just completing the tear down and moving Turner and Brogdan and Buddy.
Given that Haliburton seemed to struggle with Brogdan and Buddy shot them out of as many games as he was hot, is that the way to do it?

It also seems the East is resurgent with all 10 post season teams over .500 while the West still had two play-in teams under .500.

I think we will jump at least two teams next year.

Could go either way but I think we are likely to take a leap sooner but we could have a lower ceiling. We have arguably the two best players between the two rosters and more roles defined. The Pacers have arguably the better GM (until proven otherwise) more tradeable assets (Turner, Brogdan, Buddy) and a likely higher draft choice. If they make it before us it won’t be because they traded Domas for Haliburton.

I’m going to be charitable and assume you haven’t actually seen either of these teams play since the trade.
Thank you, you are correct. I have watched a little bit but I do admit not much. I have been working a lot, which takes me all over the world. I grew up with the Kings as my dad lived in Sac for quite some time so he introduced me to the Kings in the 90s. This season though I had been working a lot so I haven't even been able to catch a game in person, although my dad was able to with my brother a few times. I caught a couple games here and there and highlights mostly.

I just think Hali is better for the Kings than Fox is. Seems the league has kind of flipped too. It looked like it was harder to make it to the playoffs in the East, which I admit not seeing much.