Allegations against Luke Walton (split from new coach thread)

Warhawk

The cake is a lie.
Staff member
Yeah, this is a strange one. She comes forward with a press conference to detail allegations after filing a civil suit, never filed a complaint with law enforcement (so no criminal action forthcoming), and refuses to talk to the independent investigators who have made a name for themselves pursuing #MeToo type cases? It's not like it was Adam Silver doing the investigation.

Seems like it is just a $$$ grab, guilt or innocence be damned. But I don't want to paint anyone with that brush without the facts being known. Problem is, I doubt there are any "facts" and every refusal to cooperate paints her in a worse light....

But I'm not a lawyer and I didn't stay in a Holiday Inn Express last night, so what do I know?

Yeah, this is a strange one. She comes forward with a press conference to detail allegations after filing a civil suit, never filed a complaint with law enforcement (so no criminal action forthcoming), and refuses to talk to the independent investigators who have made a name for themselves pursuing #MeToo type cases? It's not like it was Adam Silver doing the investigation.

Seems like it is just a $$$ grab, guilt or innocence be damned. But I don't want to paint anyone with that brush without the facts being known. Problem is, I doubt there are any "facts" and every refusal to cooperate paints her in a worse light....

But I'm not a lawyer and I didn't stay in a Holiday Inn Express last night, so what do I know?

There's a ton of disconnect for sure.
Enjoying the comments here and elsewhere. Especially elsewhere, where the loud minority continues to entertain.

IMO this is primarily about using the legal system to set up a career opportunity. She didn't contest the criminal case, acknowledging she has no chance in that one.

She held on to her memories of the incident for several years, until Walton was in the news. Now we'll have the spectacle of the he said / she said lawsuit. Regardless of the outcome, that makes her a possibility as a guest on a show about sexual assault victims. Voila, new career opportunity.

I think her lawyer already said they have no witnesses or evidence. It's a pure "he said she said case", I believe.
Just to be clear -- and my lawyer brain can't help but to pick these nits -- testimony is evidence. For a jury, even in a civil case, to find the accuser's testimony credible and to determine based on that evidence that it is more likely than not that the accusations are true, would be a significant development prompting action from the league and the team. I am not sure there would be recent precedent for a civil verdict of this nature so I’m not sure it’s worth speculating exactly how serious that action would be.

Last edited:
Just to be clear -- and my lawyer brain can't help but to pick these nits -- testimony is evidence. For a jury, even in a civil case, to find the accuser's testimony credible and to determine based on that evidence that it is more likely than not that the accusations are true, would be a significant development prompting action from the league and the team. I am not sure there would be recent precedent for a civil verdict of this nature so I’m not sure it’s worth speculating exactly how serious that action would be.
I don't think that the NBA would act unless there are new witnesses and undisclosed behavior comes to light.

With what is public right now I suspect that the accuser is going to get personally destroyed if this comes to trial - she will be painted as some obsessed friend/fan who put Luke's name on her book despite him not writing the foreword and went up to his room to initiate with a married man and was rebuffed. Her unwillingness to cooperate with this investigation will be used against her. With nobody else stepping forward to corroborate her story it's a steep hill to climb. Unless she gets a favorable jury.