All-inclusive DMC non-game discussion thread

I read that cousins seemed bitter and angry in an interview today. Is there a video of it anywhere?
No vid that I've seen at this point. Napear near the top of his show played entire press conference which was only few minutes in length. Later, he replayed probably most contenious part. Reporter near the end asked Cousins why he seemed so angry and Cousins just said, "next question." I would necessarily call the little interview totally bitter, angry - but the way Cousins handled it was not like he was happy to chat or enjoying what he had once again brought upon himself.

Bricklayer

Don't Make Me Use The Bat
No vid that I've seen at this point. Napear near the top of his show played entire press conference which was only few minutes in length. Later, he replayed probably most contenious part. Reporter near the end asked Cousins why he seemed so angry and Cousins just said, "next question." I would necessarily call the little interview totally bitter, angry - but the way Cousins handled it was not like he was happy to chat or enjoying what he had once again brought upon himself.
why he seemed so angry? What sort of question is that given the circumstances. I'll tell you the sort -- just looking to make the guy pop.

Glenn

Hall of Famer
I have written a lot about depression but this is a guy fed up. Wow. He has had it with what I suspect is the team. I can't say anything for sure but I'd give this guy a few weeks off with or without pay - makes no difference. Let me make up a little story about what I thought I saw. He looked very uncomfortable and perhaps even trapped into making that interview. This can only get worse if he keeps getting pushed and pushed. Make of him what you wish but I suspect he is way far from caring.

I tend to care about people and I think this is sad. Secondarily it is bad for the Kings but at some time, the Kings are going to have to take second place to Cousins' needs.

That is why I wanted to know about whether it was really suggested that he see a mental health counselor. It this point it seems like he feels trapped and I guess for a few million, the Kings own him. Just don't push him around unless you don't care what team he plays for.

Now what I'd do is fly his mother and coach out to sit with him. This is awful and I know a lot of people don't care. I think the Kings have lost him.

Capt. Factorial

trifolium contra tempestatem subrigere certum est
Staff member
Pretty unfair of Fox40 to say in their story title that Cousins "storms out" of the interview, when he stayed until the interviewers said "OK, thanks" (i.e., the interview was over) and then he walked off.

But I really don't know why people expect him to be animated and excited to give an interview about his suspension and subsequent omission from the Portland trip despite reinstatement (which is really odd, don't you think?) I mean, he's not happy about the situation, it's obvious he's not happy about the situation, and all he's got is 10 people asking him whether he's happy about the situation. On top of that, he's not sure what he might say that will get him in more trouble. I wouldn't want to give that interview either.

Pretty unfair of Fox40 to say in their story title that Cousins "storms out" of the interview, when he stayed until the interviewers said "OK, thanks" (i.e., the interview was over) and then he walked off.

But I really don't know why people expect him to be animated and excited to give an interview about his suspension and subsequent omission from the Portland trip despite reinstatement (which is really odd, don't you think?) I mean, he's not happy about the situation, it's obvious he's not happy about the situation, and all he's got is 10 people asking him whether he's happy about the situation. On top of that, he's not sure what he might say that will get him in more trouble. I wouldn't want to give that interview either.
I agree with everything you said. With that said, he really needs to seek professional help. Mental health is an overlooked aspect of our health care system in America and just like the gentleman said earlier, I fear for the worst for him. He may hurt himself or someone else if this isn't taken care of soon.

Glenn

Hall of Famer
Is Cousins someone who could go "postal" or even suicidal?
It's the obvious question and maybe you and a few others are taking this more seriously than the Kings FO. All the research I have read regarding the ability to predict violence whether inward or outwards says that it is darn near impossible to predict. I will stick with that. Now, as I mentioned in my note to bajaden, I tend to look for the worst thing that could happen and take it very seriously. This guy deserves all stops to be pulled out to help him if out of compassion for him which is what I feel or for the future of the Kings which is something I also feel.

He needs time off and I don't mean one day. I mean a month or so. I'd like to see his mother stay with him. And, of course, I'd like him to see the best psychiatrist this community has to offer and there are a few. Everything he said would be confidential.

I have mentioned before, maybe several years ago, that I know a high school player who was placed on a small dose of Zoloft and whose game improved dramatically. I had an opportunity to speak with this person and he said he could focus better. Personally, he was enjoying life better also. It would be almost magical if something as simple as this helped Cousins but my frustration is that we won't know if something this simple will help unless it is tried. The medication did not disrupt coordination and was not sedating. It is unfortunate that males shy away from psychiatrists but that is a fact. Watching the video interview of Cousins led me to believe that you don't tell him to do anything; especially at this time. You suggest what you think might work. Tell him it is a medical doctor specializing in psychiatry and not a "mental health counselor" or a "shrink." The latter is a pejorative term much like certain terms to name certain minority groups.

Bricklayer

People are weenies.

Kid didn't want to do the interview. His body language said **** off, this is none of your business, leave me alone. Gee, shocker.

People, including several of those reporters based on their questions, continue to want to see contrition, pleas for forgiveness, to imagine DeMarcus is going to grovel or even be correct. Ha. It would be a cold day in hell before I'd give you anything of the kind, and I suspect the same is true of Cousins. He's given what he felt he wanted to. He's not going to perform like a dancing bear any further.

Now of greater concern is just the apaprent further damage to the player/coach relationship Smart leaving him home did. My further read on DeMarcus, as filtered through me, is that he is going to have a memory like an elephant about any perceived slight. Damage doen may stay done.

Bricklayer

That is a video of a man who feels like he has been wronged. Not the penitent man of a few days ago.
Indeed. I feared that when I heard Smart had left him home. More so now. Regardless of whether that is rational or not on DeMarcus's part, you may have missed your moment where he felt legitimately that he screwed up by taking further action to make him feel isolated,the world is against me etc. again.

L

LWP777

It is absolutely amazing to me the excuses some of you give for his behavior. Everything from he needs professional medical help and medication to how we made a mistake by leaving him home. First of all, this situation could have been avoided had DMC just shut his mouth and played basketball. He's getting paid MILLIONS of dollars to do just that. These NBA players are extremely pampered to begin with and get away from just about anything and nobody ever hears about it. For DMC to be suspended, sent home, etc. by a team who DESPERATELY needs his services just to be competitive he had to have been completely over the top with his behavior. Yes, we have the worst owners in sports. Yes, we have a horrible coach. Doesn't matter. He signed a CONTRACT for millions of dollars to shut up and play basketball. If he does that, plays his contract out and then signs with another team that's fine. That is his right. But he is violating his contract with the Sacramento Kings.

He very easily could have rectified his actions after the fact by PUBLICLY apologizing to his teammates, coaches, and fans. Simple. It would have been over. Instead, he got into it with a very respected big man coach in Clifford Ray the very first day back and refused to address the media. It never ends with this guy.

I've been bashed on this forum for over a year because I've called out DMC for his actions. I've been called a "troll" and an "over reactor" along with many other names and labels. What exactly does this young man have to do before the rest of you say enough is enough? Does he have to hurt somebody? Punch a referee? What EXACTLY will it take?

Some guys are just not very good guys. That's just the way the world is. It could be due to their childhood, their mental health, a number of things....But sometimes they never snap out of it. They are that way for life. Do we just continue to pamper him or do we cut him loose? I say cut him loose. I realize the team is not very good without him but you know what? They aren't very good with him either. They had 28 assists and 10 turnovers last night in a loss. They had 31 and 14 when they beat the Blazers on Sunday. They played hard in the 2nd half loss to the Clippers. They won't win a lot of games with or without DMC. As a fan, I enjoy watching effort, hustle and teamwork and that's what I've seen since he's been gone. His teammates are making a statement about his behavior. They support the coach's decision to bench him.

K

KingMilz

As a fan, I enjoy watching effort, hustle and teamwork and that's what I've seen since he's been gone. His teammates are making a statement about his behavior. They support the coach's decision to bench him.
As a fan I enjoy watching talented controversial athletes in all sports weather its Nick Diaz, Mayweather, Shane Warne, Rasheed Wallace and Quade Cooper over talentless players that play hard. The bottom line is the team is better with him and thats that. Who wants to come watch low skilled players loss more often than not? Hell if Kings are gonna lose I rather watch them loss with Cousins/Evans than without them at least you might see something interesting.

If his teammates are supporting it, it probably means they want less of a chance to win and they want to try shine when they are not capable of doing so. If I were in that locker room I'd want the best shot at winning games and thats done with a healthy Tyreke and DMC playing.

Whats the point of having hardworking players who are not talented or NBA fit? Give me talented players who show up 50% of the time over scrubs any day.

Last edited by a moderator:

Bricklayer

It is absolutely amazing to me the excuses some of you give for his behavior. Everything from he needs professional medical help and medication to how we made a mistake by leaving him home. First of all, this situation could have been avoided had DMC just shut his mouth and played basketball. He's getting paid MILLIONS of dollars to do just that. These NBA players are extremely pampered to begin with and get away from just about anything and nobody ever hears about it. For DMC to be suspended, sent home, etc. by a team who DESPERATELY needs his services just to be competitive he had to have been completely over the top with his behavior. Yes, we have the worst owners in sports. Yes, we have a horrible coach. Doesn't matter. He signed a CONTRACT for millions of dollars to shut up and play basketball. If he does that, plays his contract out and then signs with another team that's fine. That is his right. But he is violating his contract with the Sacramento Kings.

He very easily could have rectified his actions after the fact by PUBLICLY apologizing to his teammates, coaches, and fans. Simple. It would have been over. Instead, he got into it with a very respected big man coach in Clifford Ray the very first day back and refused to address the media. It never ends with this guy.

I've been bashed on this forum for over a year because I've called out DMC for his actions. I've been called a "troll" and an "over reactor" along with many other names and labels. What exactly does this young man have to do before the rest of you say enough is enough? Does he have to hurt somebody? Punch a referee? What EXACTLY will it take?

Some guys are just not very good guys. That's just the way the world is. It could be due to their childhood, their mental health, a number of things....But sometimes they never snap out of it. They are that way for life. Do we just continue to pamper him or do we cut him loose? I say cut him loose. I realize the team is not very good without him but you know what? They aren't very good with him either. They had 28 assists and 10 turnovers last night in a loss. They had 31 and 14 when they beat the Blazers on Sunday. They played hard in the 2nd half loss to the Clippers. They won't win a lot of games with or without DMC. As a fan, I enjoy watching effort, hustle and teamwork and that's what I've seen since he's been gone. His teammates are making a statement about his behavior. They support the coach's decision to bench him.
Unfortunately his teammates are insects in the NBA's world.

L

LWP777

As a fan I enjoy watching talented controversial athletes in all sports weather its Nick Diaz, Mayweather, Shane Warne, Rasheed Wallace and Quade Cooper over talentless players that play hard. The bottom line is the team is better with him and thats that. Who wants to come watch low skilled players loss more often than not? Hell if Kings are gonna lose I rather watch them loss with Cousins/Evans than without them at least you might see something interesting.

If his teammates are supporting it, it probably means they want less of a chance to win and they want to try shine when they are not capable of doing so. If I were in that locker room I'd want the best shot at winning games and thats done with a healthy Tyreke and DMC playing.

Whats the point of having hardworking players who are not talented or NBA fit? Give me talented players who show up 50% of the time over scrubs any day.
That is certainly your right. You do realize that the Kings are not very good with DMC either, right? They haven't been good his first year, second year, or third year. They win about 32% of their games with him. I'm not suggesting to trade him for Drew Gooden but if they could get a couple of nice pieces and/or a good pick then I think you let him go be an issue for another organization and start rebuilding without him.

K

KingMilz

That is certainly your right. You do realize that the Kings are not very good with DMC either, right? They haven't been good his first year, second year, or third year. They win about 32% of their games with him. I'm not suggesting to trade him for Drew Gooden but if they could get a couple of nice pieces and/or a good pick then I think you let him go be an issue for another organization and start rebuilding without him.
I realise we are horrible with him but would you not rather watch them lose with Cousins and watch him do something you have never seen another 6'11 280+ pounder do? Do you think more Kings fans would come watch the game if Cousins is not playing?

As far as trading him the best your going to get for Cousins is draft picks and this upcoming draft is pee weak, imo the only type teams that would want him are teams like Boston/OKC who need a final piece to the puzzle.

Bricklayer

lol. Maybe that's true but if they could get some decent players in return they could have something to build on again.

You don't build on mediocre players. You don't build on good players. You build on great players. And when you get them you hold onto them for dear life, because there's only a few dozen great talents in the world at any one time.

L

LWP777

I realise we are horrible with him but would you not rather watch them lose with Cousins and watch him do something you have never seen another 6'11 280+ pounder do? Do you think more Kings fans would come watch the game if Cousins is not playing?

As far as trading him the best your going to get for Cousins is draft picks and this upcoming draft is pee weak, imo the only type teams that would want him are teams like Boston/OKC who need a final piece to the puzzle.
You could be right about the draft and the teams that would be willing to trade for him. You never know though.

As far as the amazing things DMC does on the court....what does he do that's so special? Shoot 41%? Force it over and over again only to get rejected by smaller guys? Play like a softie around the rim? Yeah, I get it. He can make a special pass here and there or dribble the length of the floor for a layup. That's great. But all the other negative stuff he does completely wipes that out.

L

LWP777

You don't build on mediocre players. You don't build on good players. You build on great players. And when you get them you hold onto them for dear life, because there's only a few dozen great talents in the world at any one time.
And this is probably why you and I will disagree on this subject forever. I don't see him as one of the great talents of the world. Not even close.

I guess time will tell which one of us is right....

EDIT: And, by the way, I really hope YOU are right. I would gladly eat crow to watch DMC become a superstar.

lol. Maybe that's true but if they could get some decent players in return they could have something to build on again.
No they wouldn't.

As for Cousins, I think he should just start being honest in the press and see how everyone is able to handle it. It would amuse me. It may get him in more trouble, but some real talk from a pro sports player would be great for once.

Bricklayer

If after 6 years of wallowing, the Kings lose/abandon the talented heart of their rebuild in Cuz and Reke and replace them with nothing more than future draft picks (let's call them Jimmers) and "good players" (let's call them Brad Millers/Wayman Tisdales) then it truly is a sign that the franchise doesn't actually deserve any support, or really have any right to exist. Its a pointless exercise then. Just a way to try to bilk a little money out of the 8,000 or so remaining paying fans in a greater metropolitan area of 1.5million people. WNBA teams draw more. If that comes about I have mentioend I will be leaving. And as I have mentioend elsewhere, I don't swerve when I play chicken. I mean it. The team will lose me as a fan, and my read on the restive fanbase is that I will be joined by many of the best/most knowledgible fans the team has left (not because of me, because of the state of the franchise). Many of them have already drawn back. A little more, and poof. I rather doubt that our new crew of scrubs and "good" players will earn back a new surge to replace those of us leaving. It might even be the final nail in the Sacto era coffin. But then again, maybe that was intended. Who knows. All I know is that I will not be associated with blatant stupidity and the pursuit of mediocrity, nor to pandering to a mob ruled by mediocre minds cast as talking heads. We'll see what happens.

Last edited:
K

KingMilz

You could be right about the draft and the teams that would be willing to trade for him. You never know though.

As far as the amazing things DMC does on the court....what does he do that's so special? Shoot 41%? Force it over and over again only to get rejected by smaller guys? Play like a softie around the rim? Yeah, I get it. He can make a special pass here and there or dribble the length of the floor for a layup. That's great. But all the other negative stuff he does completely wipes that out.
As far as the 41% thing I agree its bad but imo part of the reason is hes really the only shot creator out there (other than Reke), he gets less easy drop off passes than any big man I have ever seen and has to create for himself more than any big man I have ever seen. Hes got a excellent jump hook and hes just not playing to his strengths atm like you have said he is playing a bit soft by not driving hard and settleing for jump shots. But when hes playing well there are very few big men that have the impact he does on a game hes got talent to burn no doubt he just has not realised how to use it yet. He also has a lot of tips which count as shot so he will miss a shot do 1-3 tips and that will also bring down his shooting %.

I understand that you are frustrated with him just like most of us are but the dude can play theres no denying that and hes easily still the best player on the team and hes one of the most exciting players to watch in the NBA.

Just to confirm what seemed pretty obvious:
Bryan May's Twitter
That's what I suspected. My understanding is NBA requires players are regularily accessible to the media after all games and practice. If Cousins had not made an appearance he might have been subject to another fine or suspension. At least Cousins pouting did not errupt into a full blown temper tantrum on this occasion. Whew!

L

LWP777

If after 6 years of wallowing, the Kings lose/abandon the talented heart of their rebuild in Cuz and Reke and replace them with nothing more than future draft picks (let's call them Jimmers) and "good players" (let's call them Brad Millers/Wayman Tisdales) then it truly is a sign that the franchise doesn't actually deserve any support, or really have any right to exist. Its a pointless exercise then. Just a way to try to bilk a little money out of the 8,000 or so remaining paying fans in a greater metropolitan area of 1.5million people. WNBA teams draw more. If that comes about I have mentioend I will be leaving. And as I have mentioend elsewhere, I don't swerve when I play chicken. I mean it. The team will lose me as a fan, and my read on the restive fanbase is that I will be joined by many of the best/most knowledgible fans the team has left (not because of me, because of the state of the franchise). Many of them have already drawn back. A little more, and poof. I rather doubt that our new crew of scrubs and "good" players will earn back a new surge to replace those of us leaving. It might even be the final nail in the Sacto era coffin. But then again, maybe that was intended. Who knows. All I know is that I will not be associated with blatant stupidity and the pursuit of mediocrity, nor to pandering to a mob ruled by mediocre minds cast as talking heads. We'll see what happens.
How long have you been a fan of the Sacramento Kings? This "mediocrity" has been going on for 20 something years. Really, only the Webber era was good sans a couple of 8th seeds with Mitch Richmond and also the very first year year with Theus and LaSalle Thompson. I've been here since the start.

So you're saying trading DMC would be the final nail in the coffin for you? That's pretty amazing considering some of the atrocities that have occured here:

Trading Webber for Kenny Thomas and company
Trading for Derek Smith
Trading for Ralph Sampson
Trading for John Salmons TWICE
Bill Russell, Dick Motta, Kenny Natt, Eric Mussleman, Keith Smart

I could go on and on......