Alex Len signs with Kings (again)

Grade the signing

• Total voters
Len is really good at getting in the way of the offense. He has a certain athletic clumsiness. He likes to bang on people. Playing against him is like playing against the old Pistons. He has a toughness quality that the Kings do not have in any other player. He reminds of KK.
He uses his size and length very effectively on defense. He also sets really good screens.

pdxKingsFan

So Ordinary That It's Truly Quite Extraordinary
Staff member
Why isn't it the BAE? What's the gap from the salary cap to the lux tax? I thought it was around 20 million and I don't think we are that far above the cap that Len as BAE and an MLE would have put us over? Marks numbers seem suspect to me. Am I crazy?

Why isn't it the BAE? What's the gap from the salary cap to the lux tax? I thought it was around 20 million and I don't think we are that far above the cap that Len as BAE and an MLE would have put us over? Marks numbers seem suspect to me. Am I crazy?
So they can have the BAE next year. Use it this year and you don't get it again next year. Just means they have no plans to use the full MLE this year.

pdxKingsFan

So Ordinary That It's Truly Quite Extraordinary
Staff member
So they can have the BAE next year. Use it this year and you don't get it again next year. Just means they have no plans to use the full MLE this year.
Ok that actually makes sense. And it always seemed most likely any moves we made would come through a trade deal.

Tetsujin

The Game Thread Dude
Yeah. Considering the remaining players on the market, it makes sense why we’d use part of our MLE to grab him

It seems like using the BAE hard caps the Kings for this season, the only thing I can think of is that they are leaving some form of flexibility for absorbing salary into a trade? But even at that, it would be gigantic and don't know if that would even be possible with the 125% provision.

This could be possible, but it's a bit odd that his salary is the exact dollar amount of the Bi Annual? Maybe they said we are willing to offer you the bi annual, never used the MLE and decided to use a portion of it, thats why the official signing took so long?

This could be possible, but it's a bit odd that his salary is the exact dollar amount of the Bi Annual? Maybe they said we are willing to offer you the bi annual, never used the MLE and decided to use a portion of it, thats why the official signing took so long?
Do the math.

Kings had $10.2 mil under the taxi line.
MLE 9.5
BAE 3.7
TOTAL 13.2

They weren't going over the tax line so if they used the BAE they still weren't using the full MLE.

Well Spotrac is showing 15 contracts at $130.4 M Active salary total
With a Luxury Cap at $136.6M leaves approx 6.2M below the Tax Line
So his numbers make sense

That does not include the 2 - 2way contracts for King and Queta

We would have to cut either Jones or Woodard to fee up a Roster Spot
So if you cut Woodard 1.5m and we had 6m under the Lux cap
the most we could offer for our 15th contract would be the the rest of our MLE
9.536 less Len $3.732

The Jamal - you think you can get Vanderbuilt for 5.8M ?