About the China games...

VF21

Super Moderator Emeritus
SME
There were a lot of positives to take from those two games, IMHO. First, Webber looks GOOD. And it's great to see the energizer bunny doing his thing.

Kevin Martin and David Bluthenthal look like they could be very valuable to us. For the most part, I think Adelman did a really good job of playing the rooks and wannabe's.

I am the eternal optimist, but in this case, I don't think my optimism is unfounded.

For those of you who like to grade things, perhaps you can add your impressions and give some grades.

All in all, I'm just very happy to have the Kings to watch again!!!

Even I didn't see these two game, but right now I have big smile on my face.

Everything I hear is good. Webber is good, Miller is good, rookies are good....:)

Kings come back Cal. safely !!!

piksi

Hall of Famer
I am very "reserved" about being optimistic. Still see big problems in rebounding and defense in general. Also do not like Peja's body language. He never looked as part of the team with exception of Miller and B.Jax. I fear a 0-3 start followed by many treads against coach and players. I thing it is time to "cut" most of those players we saw in the 2nd and 4 th quarter. AWFUL to watch. Thank god for B.Jax shot.

Thumbs up: Webb, Brad, Aldeman and Martin--I thought they all played well and coached well too.

Big thumbs down: Sac Bee for their total lack of coverage...make that Sac media in general-sans news10 who always had at least one story and some video and/or pics

VF21

Super Moderator Emeritus
SME
In defense of the Bee, there was little they could do about having coverage of last night's game in today's paper because of publication deadlines. I have a feeling they are going to have a pretty good-sized write-up in the Monday Bee, which would explain the sparse article currently on their website.

Remember, Kreidler got on the same plane as the team right after the game. I'm sure he's worked on his story, but there was no way it could be published in a paper that went to the presses about 30 minutes after the game started.

VF21

Super Moderator Emeritus
SME
It's good to expect more. All I'm saying is that the logistics were such that there was no way a morning newspaper - the Bee - could have information about a game that took place AFTER their presses were running.

Contrary to the old movies, STOP THE PRESSES just doesn't happen all that often.

I have faith we'll see in-depth coverage in tomorrow's paper. If we don't, then I'll join you in your disappointment AND I'll fire off an email or two to the Bee.

:D

i didn't want to start another thread, so apologies for the off-topic question:

Are there any other papers in Sacramento besides the Bee? If so, what are their websites? just curious

piksi said:
I am very "reserved" about being optimistic. Still see big problems in rebounding and defense in general. Also do not like Peja's body language. He never looked as part of the team with exception of Miller and B.Jax. I fear a 0-3 start followed by many treads against coach and players. I thing it is time to "cut" most of those players we saw in the 2nd and 4 th quarter. AWFUL to watch. Thank god for B.Jax shot.
I thought that the King's defense was really good, atleast that of the starters. And they were rebounding well too. And it will only get better with Christie and Ostertag coming back. But I agree that most of the players that we were trying out seem a little bit crappy. Bluthenthal didn't do that well in the first game, but connected a couple of times in the second. So, he should be interesting to look at.

Here's what "the Glides" impression

http://www.nba.com/china2004/blog_drexler.html

Hall of Famer checks in from NBA China Games 2004
Bloggin' From China: Clyde Drexler

Clyde Drexler
Rockets, Blazers legend; Hall of FamerHe won a title with the Houston Rockets, and he was recently inducted into the Basketball Hall of Fame. He's Clyde "the Glide" Drexler, and he checked in from China at the conclusion of the China Games to give his thoughts on the Rockets, the Kings and the expansion of the global game.

Posted on Oct. 18, 2004 at 2:35 p.m. ET

Thank you, China

What we have witnessed this past week was the globalization of the game and these two games were confirmation of that. Opening the doors to China, playing in Shanghai and Beijing and seeing the enthusiasm for the NBA was something truly to behold. It was fun to be part of this pioneering trip. It has been a phenomenal experience for me.

thought Sunday’s game was really well played where both teams played hard. There is a little more sense of urgency as the regular season approaches. Both teams are trying to get their rotations set, develop chemistry while some guys are fighting for jobs. Tracy and Yao looked good together but I think they still need to get a better feel for one another and that will come with time.

I was impressed with how well Sacramento moved the ball and made the game seem so easy. Although, I do believe that the Kings will have trouble with their second unit. They need to find a way to get some offensive production from those guys. It was great seeing Bobby Jackson come through in the clutch, including a crucial three to tie the game. Here is a player the Kings sorely missed last season due to injury and if they are to contend for the Western Conference title, they’ll need him in the line up. He brings so much to the table for that team.

In watching Chris Webber, you can tell he isn’t quite there with his game. He didn’t demonstrate any power moves, where he’ll actually plant and dunk in traffic or grab a tough rebound under the boards. Once he does that with consistency, then I’ll be convinced that he is back. You can tell he’s still a little timid on that knee. He played well but he’s still not the Chris Webber we’re accustomed to seeing.

Watching the game in Capital Indoor Stadium brought back a lot of memories for me. I actually played in this arena with members of the Retired NBA Players Association in the summer of 2000. Buck Williams, Tim Kempton, Danny Schayes, Rolando Blackman, Eddie Johnson were all on the same team. We played the Chinese National team as they were preparing for the Sydney Olympics. We won two out of the three games. I remember the fans were responsive during those tune-up games but nothing like they were on Sunday.

The games featured an NBA atmosphere because they had a full show, they had a sell out, it was phenomenal. They responded really well because traditionally crowds in Asia are really quiet during timeouts in the break and they were really pumped up and screaming like NBA fans back in the United States. All week, you could sense the excitement for not only the current game but about the unlimited possibilities down the road. The future looks bright for continued growth, not only here but around the world. I don’t know if I’ll ever see it in my lifetime but the NBA can one day be the global basketball league where you have teams in every country. That would be something to see and something the world would really benefit from because the NBA represents the best basketball in the world.

considering that we had no doug and no greg, i thought our defense was pretty good. webber looked great in both games, kevin martin really impressed me.

my only concerns were peja. he just didn't look very good out there, but i have faith that he will have a fabulous regular season because he is too good not to.

it was just awesome seeing the kings again. it was worth it getting up at 4:30 for the first game. it's been a long summer, and the kings are finally back!!! YES!!!!!

i think this is going to be a good season. if we can stay healthy at the end of the years, i can see us going possibly going to the WCF. i do think we will win the pacific ( again) hopefully we can raise a new banner opening night next year ;) :D

GO KINGS!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!