49ers thread for 2008-2009

I guess it's possible. Whoever called the play was smoking crack...

Actually I was pretty ticked at Gore for not getting into the end zone on the previous play. :) That and taking so long to get up to spike the ball at 1st and goal.

I would of been fine if it wasn't a run up the middle, the Cards knew it was going there all the way.

I would of ran a play with Hill in the shotgun, have the o-line/backs upen up a hole between right guard and right tackle and have shaun run right through.

SLAB

Hall of Famer
I guess it's possible. Whoever called the play was smoking crack...

Actually I was pretty ticked at Gore for not getting into the end zone on the previous play. :) That and taking so long to get up to spike the ball at 1st and goal.
That call was garbage.
Gore was touched, but that didn't make him go down...

He was stumbling before he was love tapped, got grazed by Okeafor (I think), regained a semblance of balance, staggered a step or two, then crawled into the end zone untouched.

If you can prove that the contact was what made Gore's knees hit the ground Ill give you a e-cookie.

It definitely wasn't the touch that made him go down, but I think that's the rule isn't it? If you're touched and your knee/elbow, etc hits the ground you're down.

I wish I could say we'll take this out big time on someone next week, but I know we won't.

Spike

Subsidiary Intermediary
Staff member
I hate that call.

Singletary just ruined himself in my eyes.
Why no spike?
Why Robinson?
Why not Gore?

Im speechless.
Awful.
Terrible.

Thats all I can say without getting myself a ban.

:mad::mad::mad::mad:
Then you didn't really watch the whole game, where an "overmatched" Niners team took it to the Cardinals, despite the turnovers. The players look like they really want to play for Singletary, and he shows that he cares about the kids. We'll see how it goes after the losses mount.

The last play was a problem with the field unit not getting to things sooner. Hill, who hasn't been in these types of situations, didn't have the wherewithal to get the team back to the line as quickly as he should have. Lesson learned there.

As for the playcall, that was pretty bad. If you want to run up the middle in that situation, spread them out wide. Better yet, run a naked bootleg with Hill, who proved to me that he's one crazy mofo, and drag a TE, giving him the option to run for it (which I think he would have willed himself in) or toss it to VD.

Will Martz be back next year, or will the OC carousel continue? I like consistency, but I don't think Martz will be the guy for Singletary's smashmouth desires....but I guess that depends on whether or not Singletary's the future guy. I sincerely hope he is.

VF21

Super Moderator Emeritus
SME
So, I guess it's back to looking to the draft for the answers. Unfortunately, we don't draft coaching staffs... I like Singletary but definitely agree with Spike that there need to be changes made. I'd rather get rid of Martz than our "interim" coach.

So, I guess it's back to looking to the draft for the answers. Unfortunately, we don't draft coaching staffs... I like Singletary but definitely agree with Spike that there need to be changes made. I'd rather get rid of Martz than our "interim" coach.

Yeah I guess the call was on Martz to run with MRob, atleast that's what was said on the post game. IMO it makes sense to get rid of Martz because his offense causes too many turnovers and we don't have the personnel to run it.

If Singletary wants to play smashmouth football we need to draft an OT in the first and get a pass rusher too. IMO we should take Andre Smith or Michael Oher to be our franchise LT, move Staley back to RT, keep Baas as a starter and Chilo Rachal next year as the other starting guard. He played a bit last night and looked really good, he sprung Gore for his 25 yard run. Our OL would be pretty close to set if we did that. It'd be nice to get a legit full back too and an RB that's a good back up for Gore. The Giants have Ward and Bradshaw backing up Jacobs, the Jags have MJD and Fred Taylor, last year the Chargers had Turner behind LT, the TItans have White and Johnson, you pretty much need 2 RBs that are good if you want to be a smash mouth football team.

On D we need to replace Walt Harris. He got burned by Boldin on almost all of Boldins catches and he's lost his speed and now he has top play 7 or 8 yards off every play. We also need a NT to make the 3-4 work or if we switch to a 4-3 we need a DT that can get lots of sacks but either way we need a big DT that can get penetration. Also need a DE/OLB to rush the passer like a Terrel Suggs.

I don't blame Martz for the final call, but they should have spiked it first and then reset. If they had done that and then ran it I think there would have been a better chance of success because they could have done all their motion and given the Cardinals more to think about.

Not spiking it there + losing 20 seconds before spiking it on first down were the mistakes in that drive. The fact that Hill was able to drive them down to put them in a position to win was great, though, so I'm ok.

It worries me that the Cardinals were able to crowd the line of scrimmage so easily. I can't wait until this team finds a good quarterback again.

"There was a lot of confusion there at the time. The other thing that I wish had happened," Martz said, "is that officials always come over and explain to you what's going to happen based on what they saw on the replay. And for whatever reason they neglected to do that. That's a courtesy that's always afforded. Why they didn't do that, I don't know.

"We did not know the ball was going to be on the 3 1/2 (actually, the 2 1/2) or obviously we never would've called that play. We thought we were going to be given back time on the clock, and somewhere around the 1-yard line. The play gained two yards, so it's a moot point whether it was the the 1 or 1 1/2. He would've scored."

Martz interview

Singletary said there was a lack of communication between the officiating and the sidelines in the final seconds. He thought there should've been 12 seconds on the clock after the replay review on Frank Gore's run.

The 49ers were also working under the impression that they would have the ball at the half-yard line. When referee Tony Corrente made the announcement that the ball would be moved back to the 2 1/2-yard line, the 49ers' sideline could not hear what Corrente said because of the crowd noise.

Singletary said offensive coordinator Mike Martz made the playcall under the mistaken impression the ball was at the half-yard line. And because the clock was set at :04 and would begin when the ball was ready for play, they did not have time to change the play. Nor did the 49ers want to take the chance on spiking the ball and seeing time run out.
Singletary addresses the media

I forgot about the spot of the ball. Now that you post that it did seem to be pretty far back. I wish I hadn't deleted my recording.

I saw the officials talking to and explaining things to somebody on the 49ers, but that was before the ruling that moved the ball.

I still think they should have spiked it. Four seconds is plenty of time for that.

so when do we give larry Fitzgerald his academy award for that personal foul call on Nate clements in the first half. Hats off to him, that was incredible!

Yeah I guess the call was on Martz to run with MRob, atleast that's what was said on the post game. IMO it makes sense to get rid of Martz because his offense causes too many turnovers and we don't have the personnel to run it.

If Singletary wants to play smashmouth football we need to draft an OT in the first and get a pass rusher too. IMO we should take Andre Smith or Michael Oher to be our franchise LT, move Staley back to RT, keep Baas as a starter and Chilo Rachal next year as the other starting guard. He played a bit last night and looked really good, he sprung Gore for his 25 yard run. Our OL would be pretty close to set if we did that. It'd be nice to get a legit full back too and an RB that's a good back up for Gore. The Giants have Ward and Bradshaw backing up Jacobs, the Jags have MJD and Fred Taylor, last year the Chargers had Turner behind LT, the TItans have White and Johnson, you pretty much need 2 RBs that are good if you want to be a smash mouth football team.

On D we need to replace Walt Harris. He got burned by Boldin on almost all of Boldins catches and he's lost his speed and now he has top play 7 or 8 yards off every play. We also need a NT to make the 3-4 work or if we switch to a 4-3 we need a DT that can get lots of sacks but either way we need a big DT that can get penetration. Also need a DE/OLB to rush the passer like a Terrel Suggs.
That's a pretty long wish list. And it doesn't even include the team's dire need at quarterback.

What the 49ers really need is consistency. I don't care who the quarterback or coach is, if you have a different one every 6 weeks, you're not going to be a good team. The botched goal line situation can actually be partially attributed to the lack of consistency at the top, with the coach and the qb. For all the junk the Seahawks have gone through the last two seasons with their roster, I bet that Matt Hasselbeck would have spiked the ball once he saw the spot and realized that the playcall wasn't intended to pick up 2.5 yards in a goal line situation. He knows his offensive playcaller intimately, he's in tune with his offensive line, and he would have spiked the ball so the staff could regroup.

Rebuilding the offensive line is important, too. I don't think Staley is the answer at LT. I think a good backup RB is essential to every team, but it won't matter if the offensive coordinator isn't committed to the run. It also doesn't help that the passing game is anemic (again, a referendum on the lack of consistency). It also doesn't help that the defense can't get off the field on 3rd down, which probably has something to do with the fact that they give up over five yards per play and commit over 7 penalties per game. Consistent coaching would help those things.

I agree with you on Walt Harris. I'm a Colts fan, and I've never liked him. I was upset when we signed him and glad to see him go. And I think that, if Singletary is going to be the coach, the Niners will go back to a traditional 4-3 defense, play a little bit more umbrella coverage, and focus on building the defensive line to handle the pass rush. Simpler to execute for a young team, covers up a lot of individual flaws, and limits the big play. It's not going to get you any shut outs or hold teams to 120 yards per game, but it stresses discipline and execution over individual skill, while still allowing talented players to make plays (Patrick Willis would average 200 tackles a season). This system makes subpar cover corners like the Colts Marlin Jackson and the 49ers Walt Harris look a lot better than they are, because it keeps the play in front of the secondary and calls on the team to get to the ball carrier.

Anyway, I want to see the 49ers do well. I think it would be more beneficial for them to keep things the way they are, personnel wise, for a year or two, in order to determine what they really have on the roster. Who knows how good Vernon Davis really is? How good can the running game be? I just see the Niners doing a lot of the same things the Raiders have done in the last five years, and that bothers me. Unless your team has a shot at a guy like Bill Cowher or Marty Schottenheimer, I think they should keep who they have and try to make it work.

VF21

Super Moderator Emeritus
SME
Watching the Niners win is always fun. Watching them totally embarrass the little lambies is icing on the cake.

GO NINERS!!!

That was a great game to watch. Lots of fun.

I still don't know why you guys are so impressed with Hill. No matter, enjoy the great game! :)

VF21

Super Moderator Emeritus
SME
I still don't know why you guys are so impressed with Hill.
1. He's not Alex Smith.

2. He's not J.T. O'Sullivan.

3. He's been effective and productive so far.

He could just as easily be Bozo the one-legged monkey at this point. I think a lot of us are just celebrating a change...

:)

Ok. I don't see much different between this and O'Sullivan's play in his first three games. Same opponents, same outcomes, same statistics.

I was happy about the win over the Lions and I'm happy about this win, too. Here's to keeping it up against some tougher opponents coming up.