2021 Free Agency Mega Thread

Do the Kings make a surprise Free Agency splash?

• Total voters
Hart’s an undersized wing but plays huge and rebounds like Reggie Evans. Plus He’s friends with Tyrese and Swipa. Not sure how happy he’d be playing for Luke Walton again though.
Just makes too much sense. I'd ideally want more value included, but even just breaking up Buddy's contract into Hart ($10 mil-ish?) has a ton of value and there's not a huge talent gap between the two.

That also leaves your MLE open TO FREAKING SIGN JARED VANDERBILT OR HAMIDOU DIALLO already

Hart’s an undersized wing but plays huge and rebounds like Reggie Evans. Plus He’s friends with Tyrese and Swipa. Not sure how happy he’d be playing for Luke Walton again though.
If we are trading Buddy to N.O., we better be getting more than Josh Hart back. Buddy is the one trade chip that we have that could possibly land us a bigger fish (i.e. Siakam or Simmons). Don't blow your assets on marginal players, we need to swing for the fences, if we are moving Buddy.

If we are trading Buddy to N.O., we better be getting more than Josh Hart back. Buddy is the one trade chip that we have that could possibly land us a bigger fish (i.e. Siakam or Simmons). Don't blow your assets on marginal players, we need to swing for the fences, if we are moving Buddy.
This is just a pipe-dream and wishful thinking from Kings fans. Reality is, both those trades likely start with Hali as the main piece.

Both teams have issues with their star players, but you just don't acquire a star for our low-value assets.

We really don't know what the market is for either player but Buddy (flipped for a first rounder at the deadline) Bagley and 2 first rounders is a pretty decent haul for a player you drafted a replacement for. Maybe they plan on giving it a go with both of them but I think eventually they will have to flip Siakam.

The Rockets got 4 first rounders (all likely end of the first round) and 4 pick swaps (2 of with are very unlikely to convey for a much better player.

This is just a pipe-dream and wishful thinking from Kings fans. Reality is, both those trades likely start with Hali as the main piece.

Both teams have issues with their star players, but you just don't acquire a star for our low-value assets.
Most of us really like De'Aaron and Tyrese as personalities as well as players and would much prefer to see the Kings find success with them than without them. But let's be coldblooded for a moment and acknowledge that if we're all about the Kings winning, on a team without an all-Star appearance and a 15-year playoff-free streak, no one should be "off-limits." It may well be that the quickest route to playoff relevance again is to keep Buddy, whose trade value is low in significant part because everyone knows the Kings want to offload him, and consider offers for Hali, Fox, and any/everyone else.

Last edited:
Most of us really like De'Aaron and Tyrese as personalities as well as players and would much prefer to see the Kings find success with them than without them. But let's be coldblooded for a moment and acknowledge that if we're all about the Kings winning, on a team without an all-Star appearance and a 15-year playoff-fare streak, no one should be "off-limits." It may well be that the quickest route to playoff relevance again is to keep Buddy, whose trade value is low in significant part because everyone knows the Kings want to offload him, and consider offers for Hali, Fox, and any/everyone else.
If you trade Fox for Simmons I just don't know where the scoring would come from. Sure we could potentially be a top team defensively but I don't think that would be enough

Mitchell- Can score but not a 25 point a game guy
Haliburton- Shooter and facilitator more than a bucket getter
Barnes- Scores when no one else is but not regularly aggressive
Simmons- non scorer
Holmes- non scorer

I agree that Simmons is not a realistic target unless we include Fox or Haliburton. He's a 25 year old 3-time All-Star with 4 more years on his contract. He's only being talked about as available because of special circumstances and Morey seems to be upping his asking cost as the relationship gets more strained which is... interesting. I do think he gets traded eventually but someone else will beat our best offer. Probably Portland or Golden State.

I really don't know what Siakam's value is right now though. He's in that weird category of players who are obviously overpaid because they're not quite franchise players but they were too good to let leave in free agency. It really just comes down to what the Toronto front office's plan is. If they still consider Siakam as part of their core there's no reason to trade him unless they get a huge offer. If they're looking to go in a different direction and get younger, acquire picks, clear out cap space, etc. they can certainly ask for Haliburton or any other emerging star on a rookie contract but they don't have leverage so they'll ultimately have to settle for less than that or figure out a way to keep all of their forwards happy with their roles.

Entity

Hall of Famer
i'm not buying into the opinion that Haliburton would have to be involved before teams are interested. He isn't pulling that kind of value right now the way some of you think he does.

I agree that Simmons is not a realistic target unless we include Fox or Haliburton. He's a 25 year old 3-time All-Star with 4 more years on his contract. He's only being talked about as available because of special circumstances and Morey seems to be upping his asking cost as the relationship gets more strained which is... interesting. I do think he gets traded eventually but someone else will beat our best offer. Probably Portland or Golden State.

I really don't know what Siakam's value is right now though. He's in that weird category of players who are obviously overpaid because they're not quite franchise players but they were too good to let leave in free agency. It really just comes down to what the Toronto front office's plan is. If they still consider Siakam as part of their core there's no reason to trade him unless they get a huge offer. If they're looking to go in a different direction and get younger, acquire picks, clear out cap space, etc. they can certainly ask for Haliburton or any other emerging star on a rookie contract but they don't have leverage so they'll ultimately have to settle for less than that or figure out a way to keep all of their forwards happy with their roles.
I mean, Siakam is an all-star, plain and simple. He's the perfect big for the current NBA; he's an amazing defender, can space the floor, ball-handling/playmaking from your big and can play down to small-ball 5 because of his wingspan. I don't think the Raptors are rebuilding either; they just gave Gary Trent a massive 3 year deal, they brought back Khem Birch on a 3yr/20 mil deal. OG is an ascending 2-way star and I bet FVV pushes for an all-star bid now that he has total control of the back-court as the lead playmaker.

The easy fix for them, which I think they intend to do, is just play Siakam as the small-ball 5 like they did for a good chunk of last year. OG-Barnes-Siakam is a disgustingly good defensive front-line and you maintain elite spacing with FVV and Gary Trent in the back-court. They need Barnes to really pop, but I think the Raptors bounce back in a huge way next season, especially if they keep Dragic off the bench as their 6th man, along with Birch/Boucher.

Haliburton for Siakam makes more sense for the Kings but thats a pretty big risk with the injuries

Fox
Mitchell
Barnes
Siakam
Holmes

But it would suck if we traded my favorite player :confused:
Yeah I wouldn't trade Hali for Siakam either; but if I'm the Raptors, I'm not trading Siakam for our low-value assets either.

as nice as the Warriors draft looks this year (at least in some people’s eyes), it cannot be understated how much they appear to have bungled the 2020 one. Wiseman is perpetually in their doghouse and every single Warrior fan on the internet apparently wants to get rid of him as soon as possible, Mannion already left the team to play in Italy, and Jessup got benched for Kyle Guy by the end of last night’s summer league game.
Nico may hold the distinction of being the single most disappointing Wildcat in the 35 years I have followed Arizona. Bye. and LOL Warriors.

But who says Portland or another team are willing to give up their assets.
I can't see them doing anything dramatic unless they throw in the towel and move Lillard. If Nurk and CJ are off the table which Olshey has indicated, Powell just re-signed on a bit of an overpay, their most tradeable pieces are RoCo and Baby Penny?

I'm not sure how you make the money work, but a

Bulls: 1st round from NOP+2nd from Kings
Kings: Lauri/Hart
Pelicans: Buddy+draft capital from Kings

seems like it'd be really beneficial for all sides.
The Markannen situation is interesting as I am guessing we will have a similar situation with Bagley next year. Both are unrealistic in their value.

Capt. Factorial

trifolium contra tempestatem subrigere certum est
Staff member
Nico may hold the distinction of being the single most disappointing Wildcat in the 35 years I have followed Arizona. Bye. and LOL Warriors.
Really? I mean he averaged 14 (on kinda bad but not that bad shooting) and 5.3 assists with an A/T better than 2. I know he started out non-conference play kind of looking like a superstar and then finished up the season looking quite a bit less than that when teams figured him out, but it seems like there are plenty of guys in just the past few years that have never really lived up to their billing nearly as well as Mannion. Ira Lee, Chase Jeter, Kobi Simmons, Chance Comanche, Parker Jackson-Cartwright - these were all guys I thought were pretty big time recruits that have flamed out a lot worse than Mannion.

Really? I mean he averaged 14 (on kinda bad but not that bad shooting) and 5.3 assists with an A/T better than 2. I know he started out non-conference play kind of looking like a superstar and then finished up the season looking quite a bit less than that when teams figured him out, but it seems like there are plenty of guys in just the past few years that have never really lived up to their billing nearly as well as Mannion. Ira Lee, Chase Jeter, Kobi Simmons, Chance Comanche, Parker Jackson-Cartwright - these were all guys I thought were pretty big time recruits that have flamed out a lot worse than Mannion.
None of those guys came in with the hype that Mannion had (at least on the Arizona boards - he had as much/more than Ayton). I know there were other circumstances with the team Mannion came to but they were at one point the #1 overall class in the nation and if the tournament hadn't been cancelled they may not have even gotten a bid. Compare to last year's class that self sanctioned and was the first I liked in a few years. I guess a few of the other names you mention I barely even consider Wildcats since they transferred. I think Simmons is really the only one that I truly had higher hopes for.

eta: also want to note as far as PJC - I like him, not a disappointment gave 4 years to the Wildcats, just didn't have star potential. No shame in that.

Last edited:
Bagley‘s probably gone and Metu’s almost exclusively been playing at the 4 of late.

also all these bigs defend far better almost any big man Vlade brought in.
Im (mostly) joking as I do think Jones is a quality 3rd C and stash guy you can bring in when needed.

Just makes the TT trade all the more weird though. I guess we're gonna get him at some PF this year?