2019 Free Agency tracking thread

Warhawk

The cake is a lie.
Staff member
So I'm starting to feel like while the rest of the NBA world was refreshing Twitter at record speeds yesterday, Kawhi was actually at home eating cereal and watching Law & Order or something.
I'm really hoping he tells both LA teams to suck it and stays in Toronto. Meanwhile, the LA teams have missed out on some of the best FA....

injuries are devastating. Just look at Derrick Rose.

The thing with Demarcus is he looked fine last year up until the quad. His numbers are right where they've been offensively. Maybe it's his pick and roll defense being such a liability? Still the attitude? Even more devastating than the injury is building a reputation that you don't influence winning. If one of these hopelessly middle rung teams like the Hornets, or Spurs, or somebody like the Knicks doesn't have interest in him as a why not gamble it's ludicrous.

kingsboi

Hall of Famer
The thing with Demarcus is he looked fine last year up until the quad. His numbers are right where they've been offensively. Maybe it's his pick and roll defense being such a liability? Still the attitude? Even more devastating than the injury is building a reputation that you don't influence winning. If one of these hopelessly middle rung teams like the Hornets, or Spurs, or somebody like the Knicks doesn't have interest in him as a why not gamble it's ludicrous.
I wouldn't say he looked fine before the quad. An achilles injury on a person that heavy is a big burden to overcome. He wasn't going to come back to what he was even if he never ruptured his quad in my opinion. Times have changed and I believe that if Cousins wants to prolong his NBA career, he needs to lose a significant amount of weight to put less burden and stress on his joints and muscles.

kingsboi

Hall of Famer
Or for those of how are old enough to remember Bill Walton. In his early career before the knees went he was a monster, but even with both knees shot he made the Boston Bench a problem the Lakers reserves could not get past.
that's a bit before my time but I can go back as far as T-Mac and Brandon Roy and their injuries which was a shame. Both were destined for the HOF.

I wouldn't say he looked fine before the quad. An achilles injury on a person that heavy is a big burden to overcome. He wasn't going to come back to what he was even if he never ruptured his quad in my opinion. Times have changed and I believe that if Cousins wants to prolong his NBA career, he needs to lose a significant amount of weight to put less burden and stress on his joints and muscles.
The question is then what was he to begin with? His per 48's last year were right on par with his best career numbers with his scoring being a bit down but so were his attempts. He still put up 30, 15, nearly 3 apg, and his blocks and steals were way up per 48. It's crazy if nobody wants to touch the guy.

Boogie to San Antonio talk picking up.

Ideal situation for both sides.

Boogie gets to play for the best coach in pro sports (if he's willing to listen) and San Antonio gets a bit of a desperately needed talent infusion.

That would be bad news for the Kings as well if it works. San Antonio is in that area where the Kings are trying to get to. If Cuz can't reclaim himself under Pop it's over. It is a question mark too because it could go both ways. You'd think someone like Cuz would hate playing under a coach like Pop but Calipari was way worse and he didn't seem to mind it.

The question is then what was he to begin with? His per 48's last year were right on par with his best career numbers with his scoring being a bit down but so were his attempts. He still put up 30, 15, nearly 3 apg, and his blocks and steals were way up per 48. It's crazy if nobody wants to touch the guy.
Although Looney was showing better +/- numbers (RPM 3.48) than Cousins, who started off well in the negative, and took the rest of the season to fight his way up to 2.68. GSW just gave Looney a $15M/3y deal, which isn't exactly big bucks, but they *did* want him back, and I don't blame them. He's a competent role player, cheap, trouble-free, and meshes well with the team. It's also a team that, depending on matchup, may go without playing any official C for fairly long stretches, which isn't particularly strange lately. I don't blame him for firing his agent, but I also understand that it's a weak market for him, and I'd say for centers in general.

edit: decent article at The Ringer: https://www.theringer.com/2019/7/3/20681316/demarcus-cousins-free-agency-no-new-team

Last edited:
His per 48’s (admittedly I am not a big per 48/advanced stats guy)may have looked normal, but the eye test said otherwise. Some nights he looked pretty good, others were atrocious, that only got worse after the quad.
It is odd the market is almost non existent for him. My guess is teams were banking on no market and waiting to get a bargain basement steal. Or they just figured his history coupled with the major injuries were not worth it for them.

kingsboi

Hall of Famer
anything more than a one year deal is risky right now with his injury history. he needs to prove himself to the league all over again.

anything more than a one year deal is risky right now with his injury history. he needs to prove himself to the league all over again.
I guess it also depends on what he's seeking but it sounds like he's hearing nothing but crickets. Injury or not, if he's just looking for a spot it's crazy.

Umm. Am I reading this trade right? Was Josh Jackson's value THAT low? PHX had to INCLUDE picks in sending him to Memphis! The Grizz made out like bandits! I know Josh has off-court issues but still, this does literally nothing for Phoenix. I mean, Jevon Carter? He's a fringe prospect at best.

I don’t get the Suns at all. Starting with the idea of building around Devin Booker

Jalen Rose hears Kawhi “99% back to Toronto.”

Please be right my dude.
I admit I wanted him to leave Toronto, even for the Clips, something about them just rubbed me the wrong way. I can’t explain what. Probably just jealousy that one of the mid 90s expansion teams named after Jurassic Park built a championship team before the Kings.

Nothing like the threat of going to the Lakers to form a superstar circle jerk and win LeBald more rings to get you rooting for the Raptors again

Capt. Factorial

trifolium contra tempestatem subrigere certum est
Staff member
I don’t get the Suns at all. Starting with the idea of building around Devin Booker
You know, for all the crap that the Kings have gotten among NBA circles over the past decade or so, some justifiable, some not, how in the world is it that the Suns are not considered the league's biggest dumpster fire of a franchise, and by far?

kingsboi

Hall of Famer
You know, for all the crap that the Kings have gotten among NBA circles over the past decade or so, some justifiable, some not, how in the world is it that the Suns are not considered the league's biggest dumpster fire of a franchise, and by far?
must be the consecutive Playoff streak the Kings are facing

Boogie to San Antonio talk picking up.

Ideal situation for both sides.

Boogie gets to play for the best coach in pro sports (if he's willing to listen) and San Antonio gets a bit of a desperately needed talent infusion.
That would actually be a very ideal situation for me. I like the Spurs, they're my second favourite team. I'll be right there with you guys cheering for Boogie if this happens.

I can't take any joy in bashing the Suns, because Robert Sarver seems about like peak Donald Sterling, or late Maloof, meaning that they're under the worst sports curse that exists. I feel really bad for all 17 of their remaining fans.

Or for those of how are old enough to remember Bill Walton. In his early career before the knees went he was a monster, but even with both knees shot he made the Boston Bench a problem the Lakers reserves could not get past.
And then he stepped on a bottle at the beach. Always something with Walton. I wish I could have seen him in his prime, as he is a Portland legend. Not that I had anything to do with this town prior to 15 years ago.

Umm. Am I reading this trade right? Was Josh Jackson's value THAT low? PHX had to INCLUDE picks in sending him to Memphis! The Grizz made out like bandits! I know Josh has off-court issues but still, this does literally nothing for Phoenix. I mean, Jevon Carter? He's a fringe prospect at best.

I have read that the main goal of this trade was to free up space to sign Rubio and possibly Oubre. Will buy out Korver.