Luc Richard Mbah A Moute to Sac for picks

What do you think of the front office now?

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
He seems like a younger and gentler version of MWP and suddenly the mood of the board has shifted do rapidly as to break a neck. I really like this. CD can return now. :)
does go to show you that we really aren't all that greedy, doesn't it? just try making sense, it's all we're asking for Mr D'Alessandro.

Capt. Factorial

trifolium contra tempestatem subrigere certum est
Staff member
He seems like a younger and gentler version of MWP and suddenly the mood of the board has shifted so rapidly as to break a neck. I really like this.
Well, it's finally a move that makes sense. So far the entire moratorium period has seemed like we've been digging ourselves a hole, and finally this is the first move that appears as though we've put down the shovel and are starting to climb out!

He seems like a younger and gentler version of MWP and suddenly the mood of the board has shifted do rapidly as to break a neck. I really like this. CD can return now. :)
I'd say a very poor mans verison of iggy as well although not as athletic.

its all apart of the plan, lower expectations and scare the fans, only to make a small yet smart move for them to overwhelmingly praise you for.

Here's a few short videos breaking down Mbah's defense. These are old, but gives a decent sense as to what kind of defense to expect from Mbah

Last edited by a moderator:
Well, if we're looking at Mbah a Moute as our defensive starting SF then that probably means that Landry does end up starting at the PF position. I'd much rather Landry coming off the bench for some scoring punch, but we just paid him a lot of money...and it now makes me think it's starter's money.

Unless B-Mac is somehow really able to step it up and become an impact offensive player (more than just a catch-and-shoot guy) then we'll probably need more scoring punch around Cousins at the PF spot then you'd typically get with a defensive Big such as Dalembert/Asik.

Vasquez - Great Passer, not great shooter or defense breaker
B-Mac - Great Shooter, needs to develop handles to be a defense breaker
Mbah a Moute - No offense at all
??? - (Probably need someone who can generate offense...or at least isn't an offensive liability)
Cousins - Great inside-out game

At this point, I think I'd like to see Taj Gibson be the guy that we pursue....seems like he'd fit that line-up while adding good defense along-side Cousins.

Or we could stick with JT/PPat...I don't know...all three of our PFs just seem like 1st big off the bench kind of guys....and even Gibson fits that role to some degree.
Seems to me this makes it much more likely PPat starts to help spread the floor.

i wouldn't draw any kind of comparison between mbah a moute and MWP. in his prime, metta was a potent offensive threat, able to use his big body (he's a full 30 lbs heavier than mbah a moute) to great effect in the paint. he averaged nearly 25 ppg in his best season with indiana, and over 20 ppg in his best season with sacramento, on top of being an absolutely lockdown defender for both teams, as well as one of the handsiest wing defenders in the league. he played the passing lanes like few others in the contemporary nba. mbah a moute is what he is: a useful roleplayer and sturdy man-defender. he'll compete on the defensive end. he'll snatch a few rebounds per game. he'll stay out of the way on offense. but "a younger and gentler version of MWP" he is not...

Well the Kings have added three players with alot of fighting spirit and work ethic. Seems like the plan overall and i agree that this team needed some guys, who get on the court every night and really work their butt off. Even if he is offensively limited this is a nice addition.

Glenn

Hall of Famer
Well, it's finally a move that makes sense. So far the entire moratorium period has seemed like we've been digging ourselves a hole, and finally this is the first move that appears as though we've put down the shovel and are starting to climb out!
It also shows that making some judgments are premature. I see the Warriors signed Douglas - maybe that's old news. They are building a defensive team. As stupid as this may sound, I would really like us to sign Daly for a few years as he has a relationship with Cousins and can provide interior defense. HIS problem is that either he or his agent complains and that doesn't appear to be the "culture" we are trying to build. I brought up Douglas as the signing of a cheap Douglas and Daly would change my opinion of the FO 180 degrees. Perhaps we'll get Asik or someone similar (Robin Lopez - sigh) and call it a day.

Glenn

Hall of Famer
i wouldn't draw any kind of comparison between mbah a moute and MWP. in his prime, metta was a potent offensive threat, able to use his big body (he's a full 30 lbs heavier than mbah a moute) to great effect in the paint. he averaged nearly 25 ppg in his best season with indiana, and over 20 ppg in his best season with sacramento, on top of being an absolutely lockdown defender for both teams, as well as one of the handsiest wing defenders in the league. he played the passing lanes like few others in the contemporary nba. mbah a moute is what he is: a useful roleplayer and sturdy man-defender. he'll compete on the defensive end. he'll snatch a few rebounds per game. he'll stay out of the way on offense. but "a younger and gentler version of MWP" he is not...
MWP is not in his prime at the moment and given a choice between MWP and this guy, I'd take this guy for basketball reasons and culture reasons if you can distinguish the difference. I'm not that stupid, youngster. :p .

Seems to me this makes it much more likely PPat starts to help spread the floor.
Exactly. Landry needs to be coming off the bench and providing the post offense when Cousins sits. Was hoping Patterson would be packaged with a guard for Asik, but he'd help with the spacing now with this potential starting frontcourt.

@itsjonsantiago 2m
Interesting note: The Denver Nuggets (Pete D'Alessandro's last stop) signed Mbah a Moute to an offer sheet in 2011, which Milwaukee matched.

definately a PDA guy.

Kingster

Hall of Famer
Love this guy. He's a very tough player who defends and he can hit a shot. I really like him. He was one of the players I was thinking about for the Kings. EXCELLENT TRADE!

MWP is not in his prime at the moment and given a choice between MWP and this guy, I'd take this guy for basketball reasons and culture reasons if you can distinguish the difference. I'm not that stupid, youngster. :p .
for culture reasons, sure. i wouldn't bother bringing in MWP with a guy like demarcus cousins on the roster. that's a whole can of crazy this team couldn't afford to deal with right now. i suppose i just bristled at the comparison. i was one of the biggest supporters of the trade that brought ron artest to sacramento. the team was just trying to stay afloat at the time, and i thought it was a brilliant move to shift an outside-of-his-prime jump shooting SF with back problems in peja for a dynamic, defensively-oriented SF in ron-ron. in fact, i thought that it was one of GP's last great triumphs on the trade block...

for culture reasons, sure. i wouldn't bother bringing in MWP with a guy like demarcus cousins on the roster. that's a whole can of crazy this team couldn't afford to deal with right now. i suppose i just bristled at the comparison. i was one of the biggest supporters of the trade that brought ron artest to sacramento. the team was just trying to stay afloat at the time, and i thought it was a brilliant move to shift an outside-of-his-prime jump shooting SF with back problems in peja for a dynamic, defensively-oriented SF in ron-ron. in fact, i thought that it was one of GP's last great triumphs on the trade block...
I remember that trade was predicted for about 6 months before it actually happened. Would not exactly call it a stroke of genius.

Finally, we all agree on something! Best move of the summer thus far (other than drafting McLemore).
it is, indeed, nice that "we all agree on something," but to categorize is as the "Best move of the summer thus far (other than drafting Mclemore) tells you something about the manner in which this new regime has operated. i don't mean to be debbie downer, because i'm a fan of any move outside of trading cousins that brings a defensive-minded roleplayer to sacramento. it's just one helluva culture of diminished expectations around here when we all get excited about the front office acquiring a utility SF. that said, if it is one such move of several others like it to come, then i'm a happier kings fan this afternoon than i was this morning...

I like the trade simply because it probably takes us out of the Monte Ellis sweepstakes, but it doesn't really fit the need for a SF that can "shoot it deep" like PDA was talking about. Moute is a PF that is usually played at SF because he's a great defender and good role player at the SF spot, but not very good offensively. Probably would have been perfect on a team with Cousins and Evans, but hopefully now BMac can take up that slack. Also, Patterson needs to start now because Moute is basically a black hole from 20 feet and beyond.

Cousins
Patterson
Moute
BMac
The General

I remember that trade was predicted for about 6 months before it actually happened. Would not exactly call it a stroke of genius.
i didn't call it a stroke of genius. i called it a triumph. and it doesn't matter if it was predicted or not. pulling the trigger on a trade for a volatile SF like ron artest only a year after malice at the palace was gutsy, in my opinion. it's one of the few risks geoff petrie was willing to take with a post-chris webber kings team that needed a shot in the arm. and, given how quickly peja's utility diminished after the trade, i'd say petrie was right to take the risk. artest gave the kings a couple of good seasons. he and adelman were a match made in heaven...

Entity

Hall of Famer
I like the trade simply because it probably takes us out of the Monte Ellis sweepstakes, but it doesn't really fit the need for a SF that can "shoot it deep" like PDA was talking about. Moute is a PF that is usually played at SF because he's a great defender and good role player at the SF spot, but not very good offensively. Probably would have been perfect on a team with Cousins and Evans, but hopefully now BMac can take up that slack. Also, Patterson needs to start now because Moute is basically a black hole from 20 feet and beyond.

Cousins
Patterson
Moute
BMac
The General
why is it Bmac has not played yet and most of us (including me already wants him starting over thornton)? a proven 20 ppg player?

why is it Bmac has not played yet and most of us (including me already wants him starting over thornton)? a proven 20 ppg player?
Because we need some kind of offense off the bench and MT23 is the only one that can do it. Plus, a IT2.0/MT23/Salmons/JT/Hayes bench isn't too shabby.

Wow I actually like this deal. Not an earth-shattering move by any means but Mbah A Moute is a solid defensive player and rebounder for a SF. He can't really shoot, but guys a great shooting SF isn't really a necessity for us anymore with Tyreke gone