Luc Richard Mbah A Moute to Sac for picks

What do you think of the front office now?

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
Definitely a big or 2 getting traded now. No question. Thats 6 on roster now lol and 4 pgs
I always considered Mbah a Moute as an undersized defensive PF.

I guess the question is which position do you play him at?

I think at this point we have 3 positions locked up in PG, SG, & 1st Big in Cousins.

Is the plan to play him at the SF spot along-side Landry at the PF? Or do you play him at PF with Landry off the bench, and then move JT/Hayes/Thornton for a scoring SF?

I guess we'll see.

okay, so now we've turned Tyreke into Vasquez, Landry and Mbah A Moute. huh. all fine players, no doubt, but this still doesn't fit in the slightest. defense is going to be a disaster anyway and offensively we still desperately need more shooting to allow Vasquez, Cuz and Landry to operate.

still the move I'm most on board with so far.

Yeah, I don't even like that comparison. Johnson actually has skills as a ballhandler and passer, he's just got a horribly horribly out of whack view of his importance/role on that end.

Mbah a Moute doesn't have any skills at all. :p But that's a good thing. Has no skills, knows he has no skills, does not try to utilize skills he does not have. True roleplayer. Finally!
Well, I was talking more about his offensive scoring. But hey! and just because JJ could handle and pass, doesn't mean he was any good at it.

I've kept tabs on Mbah for a few years. He commands a lot of respect around the league from the league's best wings for his defensive ability. He's a bit of a tweener, but he was lights out defensively at SF last season. His stat line suffered last season as well mainly due to some injuries

Last edited:

hrdboild

Moloch in whom I dream Angels!
Staff member
I really like this guy too. It's nice to see us going out and acquiring a player that makes sense for us.

Capt. Factorial

trifolium contra tempestatem subrigere certum est
Staff member
Definitely a big or 2 getting traded now. No question. Thats 6 on roster now lol and 4 pgs
I'd guess that Mbah a Moute is going to play SF. It's what he did last year. Defensively, he did a better job at the SF than at the PF (opponent PER of 10 at SF vs. 15.1 at PF). The only problem is that Luc is dreadfully bad offensively. And probably even worse at the SF than at the PF. The one tiny ray of light is that he brought his 3PT% up to .351 last year, though on very low attempts. I'm sure somebody will break it down soon, but I'm guessing that he probably ended up taking altogether too many mid-range jumpers, because his TS% was miserable.

The real question for me is whether or not Mbah a Moute is a starter. I'd sure like to say no, he's a backup, but right now he's option #1. And if we amnesty Salmons to grab Ellis, then he's likely to be option #2 and option #3 as well.

Bricklayer

Don't Make Me Use The Bat
okay, so now we've turned Tyreke into Vasquez, Landry and Mbah A Moute. huh. all fine players, no doubt, but this still doesn't fit in the slightest. defense is going to be a disaster anyway and offensively we still desperately need more shooting to allow Vasquez, Cuz and Landry to operate.

I'm beginning to think the shooting thing is overstated a bit.

Vasquez is not an offensive player, except as last resort. Not as if his game depends on squaring people up and taking them to the rack. Cousins is an inside/outside guy, not a pure post guy like Shaq, and I don't know why people suddenly think we want Landry to start. He didn't in Golden State. He failed alongside Cousins here 3 years ago. He's probably bench punch.

And, as others have stated, even with a Salmons amnesty, we'd have to clear out more junk if we continue after Ellis. Which would make that move more bearable

Individually, maybe. Lets see how our team defense is, once this roster is set

Wonder if this signals Salmons being amnestied ??
I would doubt it, with Monta out of the picture, who else would they use the space on? unless they take back salary on a trade before the 15th he probably stays because this roster isnt just a piece away from contending so i doubt Vivek would eat his salary just to eat it.

Yeah, I don't even like that comparison. Johnson actually has skills as a ballhandler and passer, he's just got a horribly horribly out of whack view of his importance/role on that end.

Mbah a Moute doesn't have any skills at all. :p But that's a good thing. Has no skills, knows he has no skills, does not try to utilize skills he does not have. True roleplayer. Finally!
indeed. the only problem is that the kings are still well short of a legitimate second option behind cousins, unless ben mclemore exceeds expectations immediately. and bringing in mbah a moute without sending salary back in the trade probably takes the kings outta the running for any of the remaining "big name" free agents, which is also probably a good thing, considering just how poisonous kings fans' general response has been to the idea of monta ellis. so it's gonna have to happen via trade, and it's a lot to hold out hope for, that the kings will be able to leverage a buncha mid-level and low-level guys into at least one starter-quality second option...

PG grievis vasquez
SG ben mclemore
SF luc richard mbah a moute
PF jason thompson/patrick patterson
C demarcus cousins

more changes are likely (read: hopefully) to come, but i dunno what that roster can accomplish as of yet. i'm also very skeptical that it's any better than our starting unit from last season. until another big maneuver is made, the roster is dependent on big cuz taking a big leap, in terms of the weight of his responsibility to the team on both ends of the court, and it also puts a not insignificant amount of pressure on ben mclemore to develop quickly...

Capt. Factorial

trifolium contra tempestatem subrigere certum est
Staff member
Wonder if this signals Salmons being amnestied ??
Well, this puts us really close to the salary cap, so if we need cap flexibility for any future moves (you know, the Thornton-for-Deng type moves we've kind of hoped for) then Salmons is a goner. I certainly don't think we're standing pat at this roster, but if we package value together (e.g. IT + Hayes) we might be able to keep tinkering without an amnesty. Any big move will definitely require Salmons to go, though.

Well, if we're looking at Mbah a Moute as our defensive starting SF then that probably means that Landry does end up starting at the PF position. I'd much rather Landry coming off the bench for some scoring punch, but we just paid him a lot of money...and it now makes me think it's starter's money.

Unless B-Mac is somehow really able to step it up and become an impact offensive player (more than just a catch-and-shoot guy) then we'll probably need more scoring punch around Cousins at the PF spot then you'd typically get with a defensive Big such as Dalembert/Asik.

Vasquez - Great Passer, not great shooter or defense breaker
B-Mac - Great Shooter, needs to develop handles to be a defense breaker
Mbah a Moute - No offense at all
??? - (Probably need someone who can generate offense...or at least isn't an offensive liability)
Cousins - Great inside-out game

At this point, I think I'd like to see Taj Gibson be the guy that we pursue....seems like he'd fit that line-up while adding good defense along-side Cousins.

Or we could stick with JT/PPat...I don't know...all three of our PFs just seem like 1st big off the bench kind of guys....and even Gibson fits that role to some degree.

Last edited:
I'm beginning to think the shooting thing is overstated a bit.

Vasquez is not an offensive player, except as last resort. Not as if his game depends on squaring people up and taking them to the rack. Cousins is an inside/outside guy, not a pure post guy like Shaq, and I don't know why people suddenly think we want Landry to start. He didn't in Golden State. He failed alongside Cousins here 3 years ago. He's probably bench punch.
I don't expect Landry to start, he just looked a lot better when he was surrounded by tons of good shooters. as it stands now, there can only be one good shooter on the court when he's playing. of course nobody knows what the starting lineup is going to be, but I did have some hopes that there would be more than one capable shooter among the wings this year, as spacers for Cuz.

Glenn

Hall of Famer
He seems like a younger and gentler version of MWP and suddenly the mood of the board has shifted do rapidly as to break a neck. I really like this. CD can return now. :)