Pre-draft workout schedules (merged)

Glenn

Hall of Famer
I sure as heck Malone spends time talking with each player. I hope actually talking to a potential draft pick is not unusual. We need to calm down in trying to find meaning in the tea leaves.

rainmaker

Hall of Famer
Why would a defensive minded disciplinarian in Malone be interested in an undersized(6' 5.75" in shoes) SF who isn't a good defender and has a questionable attitude?

My wish list:

1. Muhammad can see fill SF role, but will have to be Battier for right now (bye Jimmma)
2. Burke can see fill PG role
3. CJ like his scoring ability (that's about it)
4. MCW will be available when we buy Dallas' 13th overall pick

Burke/IT or Douglas
Tyreke/Thornton (no offers)
Battier/Muhammad
JT/P-Patt
Cousins/Aldrich
I'm so confused, is this an attempt to tank and get the no. 1 pick in 2014?

Bricklayer

Don't Make Me Use The Bat
Because in the workout video He actually looks pretty decent.
The things about Muhammed are 1) he's a scorer, and workouts are made for scorers. Workouts aren't very good at rebounding or defense. 2) he knows how to use his body and has some of that old man sneaky game like a Pierce or a Harden; and 3) like a Drummond and Harrison Barnes have shown, sometimes you can't entirely discount a guy when he's a top prospect and then has a rocky freshman season in college.

He looks all wrong for us, I don't want him, but if for instance the plan was to both trade Thornton and move Reke back to the point then a scoring SF becomes a good fit. At PG Reke can take care of himself getting looks, you run the offense through Cousins, and then you need that third weapon in between them. But that's all considerably speculative.

The things about Muhammed are 1) he's a scorer, and workouts are made for scorers. Workouts aren't very good at rebounding or defense. 2) he knows how to use his body and has some of that old man sneaky game like a Pierce or a Harden; and 3) like a Drummond and Harrison Barnes have shown, sometimes you can't entirely discount a guy when he's a top prospect and then has a rocky freshman season in college.

He looks all wrong for us, I don't want him, but if for instance the plan was to both trade Thornton and move Reke back to the point then a scoring SF becomes a good fit. At PG Reke can take care of himself getting looks, you run the offense through Cousins, and then you need that third weapon in between them. But that's all considerably speculative.
I share the same thought but I see Shabazz more useful playing a SG if we ever trade Thornton. However, Thornton seems to have good ties with Malone since his Hornets days. So a re-do of Reke-Thornton backcourt is more likely to happen than drafting Shabazz.

Moving on, I feel that we should take advantage of the abundance of big man in this draft and bring home one. We already have too many backcourt players. Our big problem, is that no one fills the scoring load down low when DMC sits. Not even JT can demand half the respect teams give to DMC. I'm not saying DMC's clone is in this draft. But there are lots of bigs here that could potentially grow in game changers. Cody Zeller could be really helpful on offense as well as transitions, more like a quick-footed Al Jefferson. Noguiera could evolve into an Ibaka type of player. So as Steven Adams or Noel. Even Whitey may grow into a guy like Asik or Zaza.

Imagine having either Big Al, Ibaka, Asik, or Zaza next to DMC instead of Chuck Hayes and JT. :D

There's no doubt in my mind that Muhammed is going to be at least a solid player, and probably better than most expect out of him now. But he's still one dimensional, and not what we need at all. I can't warm to his personality either, there's something not right (though maybe I'm being cynical).

I'll be really disappointed if we don't get Oladipo in for a workout. Given Malone's love for defense, it'd be a huge mistake not to get him in. And I have a feeling they'd really fall in love with his game, even if he likely won't be there at 7. Hopefully he doesn't scoff at the thought of working out for us. Would also like if we got in Porter, McLemore (just in case, although they would probably refuse) and guys like Adams, Mitchell etc.. We haven't really worked out any second round prospects I like either, with the possible exception of Ennis (though he may even go undrafted). We need to bring in some first round talent that possibly will be there for us in the second - Ledo, Rice, Muscala, Goodwin, Bullock, Rice, Wolters, Kabongo, Nogueira. The second round pick shouldn't go wasted, there'll definitely be some talent available. I hope we don't just discard it, we need to get working out some of the best guys that could be there.

Don't like players who fail to mention defense even once during 4+ minutes interview. And remembering his reaction after Larry Drew hit game winning shot - future multiple "Best teammate" award winner. Don't want!
P.S. Check out James Ennis video:
. Took him all of 22 seconds to mention passing and defense.

Last edited by a moderator:
Haha wasn't doubting, but I think you can see what I meant with the weight thing.
didn't think you were, but when you mentioned he-who-shall-remain-nameless, I got scared enough to check for if there was conclusive proof. and yeah, he got kinda chubby.

However, Thornton seems to have good ties with Malone since his Hornets days.
Does he? Malone's year in New Orleans (2010-11) was actually the year Thornton was benched to a career low 16.2 minutes per game, allegedly for not playing defense. I imagine the assistant coach in charge had something to say about that. I've been waiting to start my own thread on this until after the draft (or maybe the bar exam :mad:) but I think Thornton's a goner by the end of the summer.

Does he? Malone's year in New Orleans (2010-11) was actually the year Thornton was benched to a career low 16.2 minutes per game, allegedly for not playing defense. I imagine the assistant coach in charge had something to say about that. I've been waiting to start my own thread on this until after the draft (or maybe the bar exam :mad:) but I think Thornton's a goner by the end of the summer.
Well Thornton and IT were the first names he mentioned, in the interview, that he knew in the current roster. So that prompted my speculation. But if he does prefer to ship the likes of Thornton, no problem with that. I bet Reke will turn into the cornerstone of this team if we go into the defensive mantras. Since he's been like the only player whose always a defensive presence since his rookie season.

Douglas may also be someone he'll keep, which I also hope Malone does.

I'm actually fine with a Reke/Douglas backcourt moving forward.

On the other hand, Len and Noguiera would be really nice prospect that we should draft if we really wants to keep that "defense" mantra. Either guys are agile and tall enough to switch with Cuz between the PF and C spots.

funkykingston

Super Moderator
Staff member
He looks all wrong for us, I don't want him, but if for instance the plan was to both trade Thornton and move Reke back to the point then a scoring SF becomes a good fit. At PG Reke can take care of himself getting looks, you
run the offense through Cousins, and then you need that third weapon in between them. But that's all considerably speculative.
Considering his size and his game I have to think Muhammed is going to succeed or fail in the NBA as a SG. Too much of his game is predicated on physicality for him to make it as a SF. With a draft this murky I'm trying hard to visualize the best case scenario for any prospect that the Kings might grab. The best I can see for Shabazz is that Malone moves Evans back to PG, Muhammed at the 2 and plays bully ball - not too far removed from the Bonzi/Ron-Ron pairing of 05-06. Given Muhammed's inability/unwillingness to pass I don't see that being a very good idea, but it's the best I can do.

I share the same thought but I see Shabazz more useful playing a SG if we ever trade Thornton. However, Thornton seems to have good ties with Malone since his Hornets days. So a re-do of Reke-Thornton backcourt is more likely to happen than drafting Shabazz.
I'd agree with Shabazz ultimately being a 2 and needing to trade Thornton if he's the pick at #7. I don't know that Thornton and Malone have good ties necessarily, but certainly there's familiarity there. Whether that's good or bad for MT remains to be seen. If Shabazz were brought on board and Tyreke re-signed I think there has to be a trade. IT/Evans/Muhammed or Evans/Thornton/Muhammed are horribly flawed lineups. Evans/Thornton/new SF or Evans/Shabazz/new SF are much more likely. Of the two I'd prefer Thornton stay and the Kings avoid drafting Shabazz. If it works then great. If not at least you're showcasing Thornton to up his trade value.

Moving on, I feel that we should take advantage of the abundance of big man in this draft and bring home one. We already have too many backcourt players. Our big problem, is that no one fills the scoring load down low when DMC sits. Not even JT can demand half the respect teams give to DMC. I'm not saying DMC's clone is in this draft. But there are lots of bigs here that could potentially grow in game changers. Cody Zeller could be really helpful on offense as well as transitions, more like a quick-footed Al Jefferson. Noguiera could evolve into an Ibaka type of player. So as Steven Adams or Noel. Even Whitey may grow into a guy like Asik or Zaza.
There are some very solid role players to be found outside the lottery in the first round of this draft, both bigs and some wings. I'd be in favor of the Kings picking up another first rounder if the cost isn't too high.

Well Thornton and IT were the first names he mentioned, in the interview, that he knew in the current roster. So that prompted my speculation. But if he does prefer to ship the likes of Thornton, no problem with that. I bet Reke will turn into the cornerstone of this team if we go into the defensive mantras. Since he's been like the only player whose always a defensive presence since his rookie season.

Douglas may also be someone he'll keep, which I also hope Malone does.

I'm actually fine with a Reke/Douglas backcourt moving forward.

On the other hand, Len and Noguiera would be really nice prospect that we should draft if we really wants to keep that "defense" mantra. Either guys are agile and tall enough to switch with Cuz between the PF and C spots.
Noguiera is too weak and Len is slow - stick him with PFs and you will have a few possessions where you play 3-on-5 defense because Boogie is arguing with a ref and Len just can't keep up with his opponent. There's reason I always mention Adams - he's the only guy in the draft with enough lower body strength to compete with big centers and fast and quick enough to stay with forwards.

Only way I see Len as being slow is if he never recovers from his foot/ankle injury (which is a HUGE concern). But he moves his feet very well for a C. He was a possible #1 pick w/o the ankle issue, imo.

I'm so confused, is this an attempt to tank and get the no. 1 pick in 2014?
There really isn't much else to do. The team isn't going to get a drastic makeover like some think. If we renounced Evans rights, and made a trade/sign FA we could have a couple new players in the starting lineup, but I cannot see us renouncing Evans rights.

Couple things I read today on ESPN.com Insider

On Trey Burke:
He worked out for the Suns on Thursday and the Kings on Friday, but only did a solo workout -- refusing to go against Michael Carter-Williams and C.J. McCollum, the two other top-rated point guards. From what I can gather, the Kings' ownership is higher right now on Carter-Williams.
On MCW:
He worked out for the Suns on Thursday and the Kings on Saturday against McCollum, and seems to be gaining momentum thanks to his strong advanced metrics and physical profile. He looks to be firmly in the mix for both the Kings and Pistons.
On Shabazz Muhammad:
Of the teams he's worked out for, the Wolves seem to be the highest on him.
Very interesting that Burke didn't want to work out against MCW and McCollum.

Capt. Factorial

trifolium contra tempestatem subrigere certum est
Staff member
Very interesting that Burke didn't want to work out against MCW and McCollum.
Not really. His agent said not to. This sort of thing happens every year with kids who have safe, high draft position. Noel, Len, and Bennett are hurt and can't work out anyway, but I doubt you'll see McLemore, Porter, or Oladipo do competitive workouts either. The agent's thought process, whether right or wrong, is that the player is far enough ahead of his positional competition that a head-to-head workout can't help and a bad or unlucky day could hurt.

Think of it this way - let's say you're a really good free throw shooter, say 90%. Then one day somebody makes you an offer: 1) You can take $1000 no questions asked, or 2) You can shoot one free throw. If you hit it you get $1000, if you miss it you get nothing. Do you take option 1 or option 2? Most people would probably just take option 1. Even if you "man up" and take option 2, everybody else is probably going to look at you funny wondering why you didn't take option 1.

He worked out for the Suns on Thursday and the Kings on Friday, but only did a solo workout -- refusing to go against Michael Carter-Williams and C.J. McCollum, the two other top-rated point guards. From what I can gather, the Kings' ownership is higher right now on Carter-Williams.
Well, that will be an interesting day here if the Kings take MCW over Burke. Bring back the Maloofs! Bring back Petrie! ;)