Pre-draft workout schedules (merged)

rainmaker

Hall of Famer
Wouldnt surprise me if MT is on the way out (while he still has a bit of value). Malone was an assistant coach with the Hornets while MT was on the team. When they shipped MT out to us, there were a lot of rumors that it was because the coaching staff didn't like his lack of effort on D.

I do agree that us drafting MCW could spell the end of Reke as a King. His contract situation is so up in the air right now. Vivek and friends havent exactly been quiet about not matching a high contract offer either. He might seem like an easy get to any teams out there with money to spend.
Those decisions should be made by a GM with a plan, not former FO personnel and Malone/Vivek. Vivek can decide the contract offer to Reke obviously, but the actual fit and direction of our backcourt needs to planned by our GM.

Lets see, there's Burke that can already shoot. Is a good passer. Played on a team that played man defense and not a zone 100% of the time. Is a great ballhandler, but lets not draft him. Lets draft a player that can't shoot and hope he learns how to shoot. Played on a team that played a zone 100% of the time, but we think he can be a good defender. Who is a good ballhandler, but not as good as Burke. Yeah, lets pass on Burke, the proven commodity, and pick an upproven commodity and hope he becomes as good as Burke!!!!!!!!!!! Since we already have a team top heavy with guards, I would think someone might want to draft a player that plays a position other than guard.

It amazes me how everyone bitches and moans about Tyreke's inability to shoot the ball well, but then you want to go and draft a player that can't shoot the ball well. And then, put him next to Tyreke and tell me its a good fit. Just what we need. Two players in the backcourt that can't shoot. That'll open up the middle for Cuz. Drafting Williams is a gamble. If I'm going to gamble, I'll gamble on a big man to put next to Cuz.
haha. I'm sort of with you, but I'm not so much a Burke fanboy. I'm an Isaiah fanboy.

Last edited:
Chris Paul and Kyrie Irving both have average quickness/athleticism. If Burke is a good shooter combined with a good playmaker, it more than makes up for any lack of speed he might have compared to guys like Westbrook and Rose.
What you described only mentions offense, which is 50% of the nba game. What about the other 50%? Chris Paul has average quickness? I don't buy that for one second. Kyrie Irving is the not the average athlete either.

Bricklayer

Don't Make Me Use The Bat
Those decisions should be made by a GM with a plan, not former FO personnel and Malone/Vivek. Vivek can decide the contract offer to Reke obviously, but the actual fit and direction of our backcourt needs to planned by our GM.
I don't think we are going with the strong GM model here. This feels more like a Dallas or San Antonio situation where there is strong franchise direction stemming from other sources, and the GM is going to be the guy who executes it. In fact if anything I suspect the hire is going to be made to match the GM to a preexisting culture.

A starting backcourt of MCW/Thornton versus McCollum/Reke? I know which one I'm picking!
My only concern is the lack of a traditional PG/playmaker with that line-up. I like McCollum as well, he just hasn't been a PG before and thats a big deal to me.

rainmaker

Hall of Famer
I don't think we are going with the strong GM model here. This feels more like a Dallas or San Antonio situation where there is strong franchise direction stemming from other sources, and the GM is going to be the guy who executes it. In fact if anything I suspect the hire is going to be made to match the GM to a preexisting culture.
I find that risky when we don't have a preexisting culture and a rookie head coach and new owner are doing this without a GM. Not exactly a Pop in SA situation. I'm hopeful, I just don't even remember it being done in this order. I'd also say with rumors of Vivek wanting Buford/Bird, he might want a strong GM. We'll see, we'll find out pretty quickly what will happen.

Lets see, there's Burke that can already shoot. Is a good passer. Played on a team that played man defense and not a zone 100% of the time. Is a great ballhandler, but lets not draft him. Lets draft a player that can't shoot and hope he learns how to shoot. Played on a team that played a zone 100% of the time, but we think he can be a good defender. Who is a good ballhandler, but not as good as Burke. Yeah, lets pass on Burke, the proven commodity, and pick an upproven commodity and hope he becomes as good as Burke!!!!!!!!!!! Since we already have a team top heavy with guards, I would think someone might want to draft a player that plays a position other than guard.

It amazes me how everyone bitches and moans about Tyreke's inability to shoot the ball well, but then you want to go and draft a player that can't shoot the ball well. And then, put him next to Tyreke and tell me its a good fit. Just what we need. Two players in the backcourt that can't shoot. That'll open up the middle for Cuz. Drafting Williams is a gamble. If I'm going to gamble, I'll gamble on a big man to put next to Cuz.
It's true that MCW is a gamble. I'm a Tyreke fan, and the only issue I've had with him is his passing. If you're a pg and your offensive game is about driving to the hoop, then you have to be able to kick the ball out or find your teammates in traffic. Reke puts his head down and goes straight to the hoop with rarely a thought of passing. Parker and Paul are penetrating pg too, but they always have their head up ready to find the open man. Neither are considered great shooters. The difference between MCW and Reke is the passing ability/desire. So they're not the same player, as they do not have the same approach to the game. Asking reke to learn to spot up at the 3 point line and hit shots is asking him to change his game and thought process, which is more difficult than asking MCW to improve an aspect of his game.

As far as Burke goes, he is solid at everything, but great at nothing. He is a safe pick in a risky draft. If he was great at anything, we wouldn't be talking about having the chance to snag him at 7.

It's true that MCW is a gamble. I'm a Tyreke fan, and the only issue I've had with him is his passing. If you're a pg and your offensive game is about driving to the hoop, then you have to be able to kick the ball out or find your teammates in traffic. Reke puts his head down and goes straight to the hoop with rarely a thought of passing. Parker and Paul are penetrating pg too, but they always have their head up ready to find the open man. Neither are considered great shooters. The difference between MCW and Reke is the passing ability/desire. So they're not the same player, as they do not have the same approach to the game. Asking reke to learn to spot up at the 3 point line and hit shots is asking him to change his game and thought process, which is more difficult than asking MCW to improve an aspect of his game.

As far as Burke goes, he is solid at everything, but great at nothing. He is a safe pick in a risky draft. If he was great at anything, we wouldn't be talking about having the chance to snag him at 7.
I agree with your assessment. I am hoping someone slips on draft day to us. Stranger things have happened. Lets hope we get lucky!

Chris Paul and Kyrie Irving both have average quickness/athleticism.
I just can't let this go. Statements like this invalidate anything you say after it. I mean, it's provably false.

On top of them both being extremely quick, Kyrie is an insane athlete, they have probably the best handle respectively in the league.

Last edited by a moderator:
If we drafted mcw I'd bet we don't resign rake.... just seems like a bad pairing. Thorton next to mcw makes lot more sense. Mcw seems like an andre miller type of pg to me. McCollum is the guy I want next to Tyreke.
Was thinking the same thing. This draft pick is going to give us a good idea on whether or not we are going to look into resigning Reke imo. I could be way off base and they could take a guy like MCW and then re-sign Reke, but I have a feeling it won't be very popular here.

On the other hand like roast said above if we did take a guy like Mccollum then we could be confident that we are resigning Reke.

Burke may be closer to Bibby than a CP3 example. Bibby was never fast or a quick mover, but he had a bit of quickness on his dribble moves to go along with a good hesitation move. This got him by defenders until age took this away.

Bricklayer

Don't Make Me Use The Bat
Burke may be closer to Bibby than a CP3 example. Bibby was never fast or a quick mover, but he had a bit of quickness on his dribble moves to go along with a good hesitation move. This got him by defenders until age took this away.
I had considered that comparison myself.

New #nbakings assistant Chris Jent is working players out with Malone. Soon to be assistant Roy Rogers also in practice facility. Twitter @News10Sean

Mike Bibby was bigger at 6'2" which helped .

I've thought that Bibby was a good comparison as they both like to use changing speeds effectively. And for those saying CP3 is a way better athlete, the 2 compared to each other fairly well. Same height (with Burke having a bigger wingspan and standing reach). Paul had a 38" vertical while Burkes' was 36". Lane agility and 3/4 court sprints were almost the same. Now I happen to place more stock in what I see than in combine numbers, and I think that Paul is probably quicker than he measured at the combine. I also know that Burke had very little trouble getting anywhere he wanted in college, and his skills should translate very well on the next level. Defensively, Burke was very solid in college IMO. He will need to improve, but that is par for the course.

My biggest concern with MCW is that he played at Syracuse. While he has all the tools to be a good defensive player, we won't really know how good he is (or can be) until he plays something other than a zone. And while he is a pass first type PG, I'm not as impressed with his court vision as some others around here. I don't think it is a fluke that his assists dropped when he played better competition (and not because his teammates were missing shots). Throw in is lack of shooting, and I see way too many red flags for my comfort.

Last edited:
Whole new batch of pre-draft workouts up on kings.com, here's MCW and CJ McCollum:

I have to admit, I was leaning towards wanting MCW but after seeing this I'd rather have McCollum.

Last edited by a moderator:
McCollum looked to be faster off the dribble (pretty much quicker overall) than MCW, although per the combine MCW was more agile. It might be a height thing though.

Anyhow, I would be fine with either but I would still rather have Burke.

Hmm, not sure what to think. I do like McCollum's attitude and persona (you can see that he won't be a me first type of player) and his movements do seem quicker than MCW's, but its hard to tell off a 3 minute clip. His shooting does make sense, but can he be a PG? Seemed like a good workout all around.

Hmm, not sure what to think. I do like McCollum's attitude and persona (you can see that he won't be a me first type of player) and his movements do seem quicker than MCW's, but its hard to tell off a 3 minute clip. His shooting does make sense, but can he be a PG? Seemed like a good workout all around.

I didn't see much of McCollum but in college per his stats it seemed like he was a "me first" player. Not sure if it was because he had nobody else or if it was because he's a SG?

personally not really a fan of either, Id prefer Burke or Schroeder (although some of the predraft talk/reports has me concerned).. but I understand there is now large agreement on McCollum.. I'm trying to look past my apathy towards combo players, especially combo points, and understand he does have heart/confidence, is an offenive machine, good rebounder and generally seemed to like it here in that clip..and yes he did make a jump in his junior year in the playmaking department. There has been mixed success on developing talented scoring college combos into nba point guards so I will trust the staff on this one if selected. personally Carter-Williams doesn't excite me, but I guess it comes down to availability

Last edited:
McCollum seems like a really mature and smart kid.

but i still think we need to trade up for Porter, and if that doesnt happen, just trade for a worse pick and a player and draft schroeder

My wish list:

1. Muhammad can see fill SF role, but will have to be Battier for right now (bye Jimmma)
2. Burke can see fill PG role
3. CJ like his scoring ability (that's about it)
4. MCW will be available when we buy Dallas' 13th overall pick

Burke/IT or Douglas
Tyreke/Thornton (no offers)
Battier/Muhammad
JT/P-Patt
Cousins/Aldrich

My wish list:

1. Muhammad can see fill SF role, but will have to be Battier for right now (bye Jimmma)
2. Burke can see fill PG role
3. CJ like his scoring ability (that's about it)
4. MCW will be available when we buy Dallas' 13th overall pick

Burke/IT or Douglas
Tyreke/Thornton (no offers)
Battier/Muhammad
JT/P-Patt
Cousins/Aldrich
With all due respects that is a terrible team. Under sized at just about every position. That PG rotation gives me fits! Thye would get molested defensively.

When Malone was hired as assistant coach he was asked if the teacould play defence with two small guards starting and getting major minutes in the backcourt (Curry and Ellis), he smirked and said we will see! Some 6 months later, Ellis was shipped out for some size.

The only way we are looking at Burke is if we are trading Thomas. There is no way in hell, that long term, Malone looks at that PG rotation and says we are set! Just not happening.

As I said all along there are about 3 or 4 players expected to go top 7 that might actually fit the team and chances are all 4 will not be there when we pick.

I would personally trade the pick but it's not likely to happen as the ownership is clear they want to rebuild via the draft so I guess we will pick the best available and work it out from there. It's a pitty the very players we DON'T need are those that will be available in the 7 range and those that would fit are iether top 5 or further back in the draft.

Čarolija Thank You for Your Candor

With all due respects that is a terrible team. Under sized at just about every position. That PG rotation gives me fits! Thye would get molested defensively.

When Malone was hired as assistant coach he was asked if the teacould play defence with two small guards starting and getting major minutes in the backcourt (Curry and Ellis), he smirked and said we will see! Some 6 months later, Ellis was shipped out for some size.

The only way we are looking at Burke is if we are trading Thomas. There is no way in hell, that long term, Malone looks at that PG rotation and says we are set! Just not happening.

As I said all along there are about 3 or 4 players expected to go top 7 that might actually fit the team and chances are all 4 will not be there when we pick.

I would personally trade the pick but it's not likely to happen as the ownership is clear they want to rebuild via the draft so I guess we will pick the best available and work it out from there. It's a pitty the very players we DON'T need are those that will be available in the 7 range and those that would fit are iether top 5 or further back in the draft.

While it looks like a terrible team, it is also a REALISTIC GOAL.