ESPN: Chris Wallace leader for Kings GM

Status
Not open for further replies.
Sam Amick ‏@sam_amick 17m
Potential Denver/Sacto crossover in GM searches. Memphis' Chris Wallace wants to bring Nuggets' Pete D'Alessandro to Sacto if he gets job

this is kinda interesting. D'Alessandro is talked about as an in-house solution for the Nuggets newly vacant gm spot and is apparently really good at what he does.
He focuses on salary cap and contract issues so he'd be a good addition to the team. Just wouldn't like to see him paired with Wallace.

Wallace + Ellis + Reke/Cousins trade rumors....

....I hate everything I'm hearing so far.
idk about Wallace, and i cant speak on Reke either cause we don't know how much he may get offered by another team...

but Cousins is not going anywhere, and i highly doubt the Ellis thing happens

I really hope Wallace is not the guy. Too many poor decisions. Even his best decision...Gasol trade...I would not have wanted my GM to make. I believe he got exceptionally lucky with Marc Gasol.

These "trade rumors" are obviously the work of Ellis' agent and hacks like Sam Amico.

Focus on what Vivek's accomplished so far: Saving the franchise. Hiring Malone. Reaching out to Cousins. Let things play out.

VF21

Super Moderator Emeritus
SME

RUMORS. We see this every year. And, for the most part, they're only RUMORS. Show some faith in our new owner. He's earned it.

Sam Amick ‏@sam_amick 22m
I am hearing that RT @GalenM82 Hope Vivek & Co. aren't worried about looking like they're poaching from GS. I like Schlenk more than Wallace

Amick clarified that he is hearing that Ranadivé and team are worried about the perception that they are poaching from GS, so that might be why they would not go with Schlenk.

rainmaker

Hall of Famer
I'll post this here too. Marc Jackson on trading Monta:

"It helped change the culture. Obviously it was easier to pull the trigger because we knew what we had in Klay and it was time for him to be a starting two-guard. And he does everything right."

How did that trade change the culture? Jackson paused four seconds.

"It helped change the culture," he finally said.

Anything specific?

"You know."
Vivek has a lot of respect for Marc. You do the math. Vivek wants a positive environment.

I am hearing that RT @GalenM82 Hope Vivek & Co. aren't worried about looking like they're poaching from GS. I like Schlenk more than Wallace

Amick clarified that he is hearing that Ranadivé and team are worried about the perception that they are poaching from GS, so that might be why they would not go with Schlenk.
That would be a shame. I'd rather have almost anyone than Wallace and Schlenk is one of the most respected junior guys in the league. Plus he knows our coach and owner.

Bricklayer

Don't Make Me Use The Bat

Silly me, I'm more worried that it looks like they are hiring a bunch of b-listers for their own backyard because they lack the knowledge or clout to play with the big boys across the league.

What this all comes down to is would Schlenk be a candidate if he were an assistant GM for any other team. If he were Atlanta's assistant GM, would we still be interested? If yes, then fine. If no, then they need to look elsewhere. There is absolutely no reason to believe that the frickin' Golden State Warriors have stacks of assistants piled up around their franchise better than anything else anybody else in the entire 30 team league has. Not to mention outsiders from college or overseas. And so what, we get to be the Golden State reserves? They get the starters, we get their backups? If Schlenk can stand on his own two legs, let him. If he's just the guy you know, then move on. Don't act like a Maloof. And don't act like another franchise's D-League team.

Last edited:
Silly me, I'm more worried that it looks like they are hiring a bunch of b-listers for their own backyard because they lack the knowledge or clout to play with the big boys across the league.

What this all comes down to is would Schlenk be a candidate if he were an assistant GM for any other team. If he were Atlanta's assistant GM, would we still be interested? If yes, then fine. If no, then they need to look elsewhere. There is absolutely no reason to believe that the frickin' Golden State Warriors have stacks of assistants piled up around their franchise better than anything else anybody else in the entire 30 team league has. Not to mention outsiders from college or overseas. And so what, we get to be the Golden State reserves? They get the starters, we get their backups? If Schlenk can stand on his own two legs, let him. If he's just the guy you know, then move on. Don't act like a Maloof. And don't act like another franchise's D-League team.
Schlenk is viewed as one of the top 2-3 assistant GM's in the league and someone that people think is going to be a good GM. Frankly, I'm having a hard time coming up with many names that are realistic options and would be right for this franchise. The best big names that may be available are Bird, Mullin, Wallace, Morway, Dunleavy types and none of those really excite me. So, I think your concern is a realistic one but I don't see an option far better than Schlenk right now and I see quite a few names that are worse. Especially if you could get both Schlenk and D'Allessandro.

hrdboild

Moloch in whom I dream Angels!
Staff member
Bird is the only name mentioned so far that I thought, yeah he's got a pretty respectable track record. I could get behind Larry Legend as the GM. That or Kevin Pritchard but I don't know how available he is. He's already in a good situation in Indiana.

I'd take Bird in a heartbeat. He pretty much built the Pacers of now, before DJ Augustin and Sam Young were added, if I'm not mistaken.

gunks

Hall of Famer
These "trade rumors" are obviously the work of Ellis' agent and hacks like Sam Amico.

Focus on what Vivek's accomplished so far: Saving the franchise. Hiring Malone. Reaching out to Cousins. Let things play out.
You're totally right.

Sorry, after all these past years of Magoofery, I've become conditioned to assume the worst as a Kings fan. :eek:

I'm just going to assume that all these rumors are the respective candidates' agents throwing crap in to the mill in order to generate notions of demand. Things like "Chris Wallace is the leader in the race" are statements that Vivek and Co. clearly aren't going to publicly address, so they just have to let the rumors fly until they actually hire someone.

I think Vivek has proven himself to be smart enough to know where this league is headed. I would hope this means that we'll stay away from these former-player/GMs like Mullin and Dunleavy, who've had limited success in the league. People often seem to use the label of "General Manager" and "talent evaluator" interchangeably, completely ignoring the other aspects of the job, like analytics, cap-management, contract negotiation, trade negotiation, etc.

We need someone who can excel at all of the above, and none of the big names thrown out so far can make such claims. Who knows about Schlenk, but I will have faith that Vivek will hold true to his claim to surround himself with people smarter than him, and make the right move.

Bricklayer

Sorry, after all these past years of Magoofery, I've become conditioned to assume the worst as a Kings fan. :eek:

Does GM Stand for George Maloof?
by Greg Moefoola
Gazette Staff Writer

Vivek Ranadive is known as a visionary. Rarely has his vision ever been as controversial.

Sources have revealed that Ranadive is prepared to offer the general manager position of his newly purchased Sacramento Kings to none other than former Kings owner George Maloof.

"It makes some sense," the source said. "George knows that team, knows those players, knows that market. And he's a businessman from a family of businessmen."

Indeed, George's business acumen was supposed to have so impressed Mr. Ranadive during the final days of their negotiations that rather than react with anger at having to contribute another $10 million dollars to the Maloof coffers in order to close the purchase, he told associates that Mr. Maloof was precisely the sort of individual he needed as part of his new organization.

When contacted, Maloof was humble and said only more...

Kingster

Hall of Famer
I'm just going to assume that all these rumors are the respective candidates' agents throwing crap in to the mill in order to generate notions of demand. Things like "Chris Wallace is the leader in the race" are statements that Vivek and Co. clearly aren't going to publicly address, so they just have to let the rumors fly until they actually hire someone.

I think Vivek has proven himself to be smart enough to know where this league is headed. I would hope this means that we'll stay away from these former-player/GMs like Mullin and Dunleavy, who've had limited success in the league. People often seem to use the label of "General Manager" and "talent evaluator" interchangeably, completely ignoring the other aspects of the job, like analytics, cap-management, contract negotiation, trade negotiation, etc.

We need someone who can excel at all of the above, and none of the big names thrown out so far can make such claims.
Who knows about Schlenk, but I will have faith that Vivek will hold true to his claim to surround himself with people smarter than him, and make the right move.
Maybe. Maybe not. It's possible to get one guy who is extremely good at talent evaluation and another guy extremely good at cap space management. Maybe that's the way to go.

;)
Does GM Stand for George Maloof?
by Greg Moefoola
Gazette Staff Writer

Vivek Ranadive is known as a visionary. Rarely has his vision ever been as controversial.

Sources have revealed that Ranadive is prepared to offer the general manager position of his newly purchased Sacramento Kings to none other than former Kings owner George Maloof.

"It makes some sense," the source said. "George knows that team, knows those players, knows that market. And he's a businessman from a family of businessmen."

Indeed, George's business acumen was supposed to have so impressed Mr. Ranadive during the final days of their negotiations that rather than react with anger at having to contribute another $10 million dollars to the Maloof coffers in order to close the purchase, he told associates that Mr. Maloof was precisely the sort of individual he needed as part of his new organization.

When contacted, Maloof was humble and said only more...
I'm sorry, but stuff like this should get you banned from these forums.

j/k :p

One thing I like about Wallace is he will tinker and make trades till everything fits. Although, I much rather have Bird if given the choice.

I can complain about Wallace, and with the 20/20 hindsight I can easily go back and point to mistake after mistake in his history, but I will give him this: with a relitivly low budget in struggling small market the man built a dam good defensive minded team. He knew enough to put together COMPLEMENTARY pieces in his back court, and showed a preference for defensive over scoring. If you enjoyed watching the aged Prince and Tony Allen, working the Spurs guards you have to give Wallace some credit. It is quite possible that with more money and better access to talent thanks to excitement about a revitalized franchise Wallace may well be able to put together a top contending team in just a few years.

Before the bashing begins there are guys I would love to see in the GM slot ahead of Wallace (R C Bufford was my first choice) But of the guys available Wallace may be the best option for building a defensive team around DMC and Evans. And if not the best available option he certainly deserves credit for the current Memphis roster.
He was a bit of a lameduck GM in Memphis. New ownership group kinda took things over and pushed him out, similar to Petries situation over here. Listening to Yahoo sports writer, Marc spears, apparently that Rudy Gay trade, wasn't a Chris wallace move at all.

That wasnot the only one reason Petrie began to decline. His draft picks have been mostly busts. Quincy Doobie anyone??? Jimmer isnt anywhere near a first round pick. If the Maloofs had not insisted that Evans play every possible second to get that 20/5/5 his rookie season, he would be considered a bust as well. He has not improved one iota. Cousins was a risk from the start. Petrie hasnt drafted well and had no money to correct his mistakes in free agency. But the Maloofs were too poor to hire anyone else so he continued to be the GM for a sub par team for approximatly 10 years past his prime. He will not be missed.
No need to completely downplay and ignore the good moves that Geoff Petrie made, just to prove your point. I love how you completely skipped over Jason Thompson

Bricklayer

He was a bit of a lameduck GM in Memphis. New ownership group kinda took things over and pushed him out, similar to Petries situation over here. Listening to Yahoo sports writer, Marc spears, apparently that Rudy Gay trade, wasn't a Chris wallace move at all.
that much we knew. you can't blame or credit Wallace for much of anything last year. And he wasn't the triggerman on Thabeet either. Beyond that...

That wasnot the only one reason Petrie began to decline. His draft picks have been mostly busts. Quincy Doobie anyone??? Jimmer isnt anywhere near a first round pick. If the Maloofs had not insisted that Evans play every possible second to get that 20/5/5 his rookie season, he would be considered a bust as well. He has not improved one iota. Cousins was a risk from the start. Petrie hasnt drafted well and had no money to correct his mistakes in free agency. But the Maloofs were too poor to hire anyone else so he continued to be the GM for a sub par team for approximatly 10 years past his prime. He will not be missed.

Evans a bust?! Cousins a bad move?! You are making every good move seem bad lol. Vivid imaginations I tell you!

You can't call Evans or Cousins "bad picks" but you can't call them particularly great picks either. Both were consensus picks. Neither enhances nor detracts from Petrie's record. I just think from the time of the Webber trade, Petrie seemed to be mailing it in. I think it is peculiar how loyal Kings fans have been to Geoff Petrie. He was great with the Vlade Webber Adelman acquisitions. Otherwise mediocre. Been a long long time since he did something outstanding. Hope we won't be talking about Geoff Petrie too much more in Sacramento. He's just nobody to me now. If he'd quit when Adelman was forced out, he'd probably be GM of the Blazers or doing something else productive in the league. His mop-up years with the Maloofs destroyed him. He's done. I'm glad Vivek was quick to cut him loose.

Hope we get Larry Bird for GM.

You can't call Evans or Cousins "bad picks" but you can't call them particularly great picks either. Both were consensus picks. Neither enhances nor detracts from Petrie's record. I just think from the time of the Webber trade, Petrie seemed to be mailing it in. I think it is peculiar how loyal Kings fans have been to Geoff Petrie. He was great with the Vlade Webber Adelman acquisitions. Otherwise mediocre. Been a long long time since he did something outstanding. Hope we won't be talking about Geoff Petrie too much more in Sacramento. He's just nobody to me now. If he'd quit when Adelman was forced out, he'd probably be GM of the Blazers or doing something else productive in the league. His mop-up years with the Maloofs destroyed him. He's done. I'm glad Vivek was quick to cut him loose.

Hope we get Larry Bird for GM.
Nice post. I do think Kings fans are a loyal group. Especially when the person in question has done so much work that brought so much enjoyment to so many.

In hindsight GP would probably agree with you. But on the front end of these past years history GP won GM of the year TWICE. In my mind GP loved the Kings and Sacramento so much he chose to stay and try to shepherd the Kings through untenable times with ever worsening ownership involvement.

GP does not get a pass. The Man does deserve our respect for creating the "Greatest Show On Earth". At least for that moment in time he was the best GM around. GP and the Kings fans will always have those memories.

KB

PS I also hope Bird takes the job.

Status
Not open for further replies.