Bring Your Own Burkle and other latest stuff

Status
Not open for further replies.

Warhawk

Give blood and save a life!
Staff member
This is the best news I have heard today (Burkle meeting is good, but still ambiguous in result). My concern was that the Plaza would be a negative distraction to the process. If the difference is negligible and we can move forward with a lock of a plan for an arena, that would be huge.

This is the best news I have heard today (Burkle meeting is good, but still ambiguous in result). My concern was that the Plaza would be a negative distraction to the process. If the difference is negligible and we can move forward with a lock of a plan for an arena, that would be huge.
Burkle wants the Plaza. My guess is he talked with Stern about changing from the railyards and making it a non issue.

though I'm not posting on the sonics rising blog, I kind of find it fascinating that in their minds everything that is going on are basically formalities and the Kings are practically packed, wrapped and are going to be sent to Seattle next year.

Trying to gauge their mindset, I get this fake, condescending vibe coming from them wherein they feel oh so bad for us, but all our efforts are practically moot and pointless as their all-powerful savior Chris Hansen is too intelligent and wealthy to screw this up or be turned down.

though I'm not posting on the sonics rising blog, I kind of find it fascinating that in their minds everything that is going on are basically formalities and the Kings are practically packed, wrapped and are going to be sent to Seattle next year.

Trying to gauge their mindset, I get this fake, condescending vibe coming from them wherein they feel oh so bad for us, but all our efforts are practically moot and pointless as their all-powerful savior Chris Hansen is too intelligent and wealthy to screw this up or be turned down.
In their defense (haven't seen their site), considering what happened to them, it would be understandable that they don't think that anything can get in their way. Hoping they will be enjoying crow soon.

It probably has more to do with their own defeated and cynical view from having lost the Sonics. They figure that if they can't keep their team then nobody can.

That doesn't mean that they aren't missing some key differences and aren't looking down upon Sacramento as too minor an entity to matter in some way, but I do feel it's mostly a product of a group of fans who have given in to the inevitable power of the whole ugly process.

I really want Sonics fans to get a team, but a lot of them are being condescending. I've decided to not read any of them anymore, because they are just so ignorant about Sacramento. They talk about Sacramento, just like they did about Oklahoma. Like we're some backwards, pathetic cities. Their reporters up their have been pretty condescending, too. They write like, "Oh poor little Sacramento, thinking they actually have any chance to keep their team from us, big, mighty, wealthy, cultured, smart Seattle." Screw 'em.:mad:

If the difference is negligible and we can move forward with a lock of a plan for an arena, that would be huge.
I think that this is going to happen. At the minimum, Sacramento would get an expansion team. At the Maximum, Kings will stay.

I was reading other sites and many people from Seattle want an expansion team instead of the Kings. The thing I am concerned about is that if the NBA over rules the sale to Hansen, The Maloofs could try to leave Sacramento still and the NBA would just award Seattle an expansion team and back at it would go the merry go round. So to me, if this arena agreement gets done in Sacramento with Burkle, there is no way that the NBA will turn down Sacramento from getting a team. I could be wrong but I think the best bet is to get iron clad arena deal in Sacramento and if the KIngs walk because of the agreement, Sacramento gets a expansion tram. Not trying to be negative but I think that is the way Stern is thinking because he wants the Maloofs out.

Burkle does the arena and Ellison/Burkle owners of Kings? Or is that too much ego for them to share?

Would the Downtown Plaza site be cheaper than the railyards?

I think that this is going to happen. At the minimum, Sacramento would get an expansion team. At the Maximum, Kings will stay.

I was reading other sites and many people from Seattle want an expansion team instead of the Kings. The thing I am concerned about is that if the NBA over rules the sale to Hansen, The Maloofs could try to leave Sacramento still and the NBA would just award Seattle an expansion team and back at it would go the merry go round. So to me, if this arena agreement gets done in Sacramento with Burkle, there is no way that the NBA will turn down Sacramento from getting a team. I could be wrong but I think the best bet is to get iron clad arena deal in Sacramento and if the KIngs walk because of the agreement, Sacramento gets a expansion tram. Not trying to be negative but I think that is the way Stern is thinking because he wants the Maloofs out.

Burkle does the arena and Ellison/Burkle owners of Kings? Or is that too much ego for them to share?

Would the Downtown Plaza site be cheaper than the railyards?
I think its going to be Burkle-Mastrov. I can't pin down a source yet, but someone posted that Burkle is interested in joining with JMA to build the arena at the plaza site. JMA has already said that their architectural/engineering study has said such a project is doable and cost estimates are in the same neighborhood as the rail yard proposal. I'm curious to see if it might include less public financing with private ownership, instead of public. That would not surprise me. If the city has to provide a lot less financing, this could be a major win. I'd want some public subsidy so team would be legally tied to Sacramento.

I think we all need to remember that the league can reject the sale to Hansen, but cannot force the Maloofs to sell to our buyer. Although, if the money they get is equal or greater and they refuse to sell, they would certainly be exposed for ultra vindictive people.

FOUND RUMOR SOURCE:

Ryan Lillis ‏@Ryan_Lillis Source also tells The Bee that Ron Burkle advocated for a new #NBAKings arena at the Downtown Plaza site

Last edited:
I think its going to be Burkle-Mastrov. I can't pin down a source yet, but someone posted that Burkle is interested in joining with JMA to build the arena at the plaza site. JMA has already said that their architectural/enginering study has said such a project is doable and cost estimates are in the same neighborhood as the rail yard proposal. I'm curious to see if it might include less public financing with private ownership, instead of public. That would not surprise me. If the city has to provide a lot less financing, this could be a major win. I'd want some public subsidy so team would be legally tied to Sacramento.

I think we all need to remember that the league can reject the sale to Hansen, but cannot force the Maloofs to seel to out buyer. Although, if the money they get is equal or greater and they refuse to sell, they would certainly be exposed for ultra vindictive people.
Except they can't afford to keep the team.

FWIW, I really like the Dowtown Plaza idea better than the rail yards. I think it will be much better for people driving into the game. The problem with the railyards always was and always was going to be parking and traffic. No way caltrans was putting in an off/on ramp there. People never ever were going to take the light rail to the game. Just wasnt happening.
I would absolutely take light rail. and I think others would too. Saves gas, time, pollution, money (no parking cost) and headaches. I used to commute to work that way.

I would absolutely take light rail. and I think others would too. Saves gas, time, pollution, money (no parking cost) and headaches. I used to commute to work that way.
I would too. Coming from I80 north of Roseville, I would park and ride from the Watt Ave. station to avoid downtown traffic and greater cost of parking.

Regarding today's alleged meeting between Burkle and Stern, I wonder if a large part of the face-to-face meeting was to gauge Burkle's long term interest in the franchise. Is he just doing this in the short term to save the team or is he in it for the long haul? That's something the league may really want to know. For example, he partnered to buy the Penguins then, after the Arena was built and all was good again, he kind of faded into the background.

Meeting was yesterday. Burkle is still an active NHL owner for the Penguins. Article re the NHL lock out.

http://www.cbssports.com/nhl/blog/e...-owners-ceo-apologize-to-fans-for-nhl-lockout

What's interesting to consider here is that Burkle was one of the owners who was brought into the players/owners-only meetings back in December that seemed to bridge a few gaps that helped get to the eventual deal. When he came into the picture, Burkle was seen as a very player-friendly owner and was itching to get a deal done. The opening two lines of the apology read like they come from an owner who tried his best and was dismayed he couldn't help get something done at that time.

Last edited:
I would too. Coming from I80 north of Roseville, I would park and ride from the Watt Ave. station to avoid downtown traffic and greater cost of parking.
Forgot to point out that light rail is right in front of the downtown mall right now and the mall is very close to the rail yard anyway. Not really much difference geographically.

Doubt the Maloofs would be given the opportunity again. Stern wants Burkle in the league and he wants him bad.
Can't blame him. Compare a classy professional businessman of Burkle's stature who has "real money" and stability compared to Moe, Larry, and Curly. Those three jokers have squandered their family wealth through bimbos, booze, and betting. Not that I'm against any of these mind you, but you dont base your entire portfolio on them. A little moderation on their part could have gone a long way and saved everyone a lot of grief, including themselves. (I'm guessing that they wish they had not spent all that money on that Carls Jr. commercial. I mean really...who does that but idiots.) I look forward to having an owner that is less flamboyant and more conservative who would rather build and run a team the right way instead of making themselves the focal point of the franchise.

FWIW, I really like the Dowtown Plaza idea better than the rail yards. I think it will be much better for people driving into the game. The problem with the railyards always was and always was going to be parking and traffic. No way caltrans was putting in an off/on ramp there. People never ever were going to take the light rail to the game. Just wasnt happening.
I like the Downtown Plaza better also. It will reinvigorate the whole K street area big time. I do however disagree with you on light rail. I think lots of people will use it, especially when they will be fighting to find parking as all the parking lots are scattered all over. Light rail actually passes right next to Downtown plaza on 7th or 8th street I think. At most people would only have to walk a block. When they finish the extension to the airport, alot of people will use it from the Natomas area. Nothing better than taking BART to a A's or Raiders game where it drops you off right at the stadium. It is a huge advantage to have mass transit right there and I know people will take advantage of it in Sacramento.

Oh, I didn't say they wouldn't be under tremendous pressure, both financially and from the league, I'm sure. :) They'd also look incredible stupid, but who can predict what the Maloofs will do. Stupidity has never stopped them.
Stupid is as stupid does...Forest Gump on the Maloof Bros.

I would three. It would be less hassle, cheaper and I imagine that I would be riding-in with a bunch of other Kings zealots - my kind of people.

One other idea I had hoped might be possible. A special train from Roseville to the Sac Depot. It works for either arena location, but perfect for the railyard. Given that parking will be at least $20 down there, I bet they could fill a bunch of cars with fans willing to pay less than that. Some cities have pretty good success with regional train service.

One other idea I had hoped might be possible. A special train from Roseville to the Sac Depot. It works for either arena location, but perfect for the railyard. Given that parking will be at least $20 down there, I bet they could fill a bunch of cars with fans willing to pay less than that. Some cities have pretty good success with regional train service.
Well Amtrak could work. There's fans that could take Amtrak to games, especially if special trains could run. From Roseville. From Vacaville through Davis. From Truckee.

stevelarge_cbs13 ‏@largesteven

Cook says he believes Maloofs would agree to sell to local Sacramento investors if NBA blocks Seattle deal.

---------------

take that for what it's worth.

gunks

Hall of Famer
stevelarge_cbs13 ‏@largesteven

Cook says he believes Maloofs would agree to sell to local Sacramento investors if NBA blocks Seattle deal.

---------------

take that for what it's worth.
Desperate lil buttholes will have to put their spite aside.

I wonder how many years til they're bankrupt again. I put the over under at five.

Status
Not open for further replies.