Stern - still no Seattle-Kings deal - latest rumors, etc.

Status
Not open for further replies.

bajaden

Hall of Famer
SEATTLE SUPERSONICS
Season GP Total Avg.
1967-68 31 202,263 6,524
1968-69 36 210,232 5,839
1969-70 36 278,444 7,734
1970-71 40 372,612 9,315
1971-72 40 444,302 11,107
1972-73 41 387,382 9,448
1973-74 41 491,856 11,996
1974-75 41 524,692 12,797
1975-76 41 557,304 13,592
1976-77 41 532,196 12,980
1977-78 41 504,668 12,309
1978-79 41 747,243 18,225
1979-80 41 890,713 21,725
1980-81 41 675,097 16,466
1981-82 41 750,059 18,294
1982-83 41 574,986 14,024
1983-84 41 446,970 10,902
1984-85 41 303,342 7,399
1985-86 41 329,296 8,032
1986-87 41 356,362 8,692
1987-88 41 492,312 12,008
1988-89 41 529,733 12,920
1989-90 41 502,014 12,244
1990-91 41 510,166 12,443
1991-92 41 586,929 14,315
1992-93 41 632,205 15,805
1993-94 41 601,969 14,682
1994-95 41 633,748 15,457
1995-96 41 697,301 17,007
1996-97 41 699,952 17,072
1997-98 41 699,952 17,072
1998-99 25 426,800 17,072
1999-00 41 615,730 15,018
2000-01 41 640,847 15,630
2001-02 41 633,516 15,452
2002-03 41 637,194 15,541
2003-04 41 625,474 15,255
2004-05 41 675,490 16,475
2005-06 41 664,157 16,198
2006-07 41 654,163 15,955
2007-08 41 547,556 13,355

I want to take a guess that the ownership group that Mayor K.J. is putting together will have a local presence AND a high profile NBA presence that will invest his own money, kind of like Magic Johnson and the Los Angeles Dodgers. I want to go out on a limb and say either Chris Webber, Vlade Divac or Kevin Johnson himself will be a part of this ownership group. Those are the three most high profile, big dollar local NBA ties to Sacramento which can influence this transaction.

I don't see Shawn Kemp, Gary Payton or any other Sonic putting their money where their mouth is!! (No Shawn Kemp jokes, please, LOL!!!!)

Why would there be a Kings-Seattle deal? I feel a lot of people buy into the hype and hyperbole of the media instead of taking that sensationalism with a grain of salt. I say as a realist, not as a homer, that as of today I think there is an above 50% chance of this team remaining here over the long haul. There is too much will to get it done and I believe the NBA is in our corner

Thanks, but i need to know the arena capacity BEFORE the Key Arena remodel!

I found this, but it doesn't measure up to the figure above
1985-94 Seattle Center Coliseum Seattle, WA 14,252
I saw this - look at the attendance history numbers and percentages for a couple of years pre 1994
http://basketball.ballparks.com/NBA/SeattleSonics/index.htm

Unless my math is off that shows roughly 17,300 pre 94. Don't know why it shows up to 21k in the early 80s.

I want to take a guess that the ownership group that Mayor K.J. is putting together will have a local presence AND a high profile NBA presence that will invest his own money, kind of like Magic Johnson and the Los Angeles Dodgers. I want to go out on a limb and say either Chris Webber, Vlade Divac or Kevin Johnson himself will be a part of this ownership group. Those are the three most high profile, big dollar local NBA ties to Sacramento which can influence this transaction.

I don't see Shawn Kemp, Gary Payton or any other Sonic putting their money where their mouth is!! (No Shawn Kemp jokes, please, LOL!!!!)
Webber has been very quiet. I haven't seen one thing on his twitter about Sac or #HereWeBuy, that's not like him. I've been curious as to why for a week or so. I wonder if this could be why.

Glenn

Hall of Famer
Considering the amount of money a local ownership group would need as compared to an ownership group intent on moving the team, $10 mil here and $10 mil there may be crucial. I believe the difference in staying and moving is roughly $150 mil and if I don't have it pin point accurate, it is a decent enough number to give a somewhat clear idea of what the difference is. The idea that there is a whale, which I presume is a mega billionaire person as opposed to a mere billionaire, may make the need for smaller owners unnecessary.

Let us say there is no whale which I think is absolutely inaccurate as I believe there is one or why mention it? We then have a few million from Sleep Train, another entity that has slipped my brain, and then maybe an ex-player or so like Chris. I doubt if KJ as mayor could be part of it (conflict of interest maybe) and I think Vlade is too involved in keeping Serbian sports going. There are already present owners who seem to want to stay on as owners.

Perhaps I am delusional but it seems like it might not be so difficult to come up with a local ownership group. This is leaving out Burkle as he, like Chris, have been quiet. This quietness is appropriate, I might add.

Given that the NBA is on our side and is not ignorant as to the Maloofs attempts to sabotage any attempt to stay in Sacramento and I presume a local group merely has to match Hansen and Ballmer. By matching, that means a number $150 mil less than the Seattle offer. In the end, it is the BoG's decision and not the Maloof's. That concept seems to have been made imminently clear when KJ was offered a chance to make a pitch to the BoG and bypass the Maloofs.

As an addendum, the Maloofs have said they wouldn't sell to Burkle. Why not? I think Stern is trying to bypass such childishness.

They will tear down part or all of it. It's been hemorrhaging money for over a decade. It was a novel place when it first went in, but with all the Malls in Sac, it's a ghost town and when the Galleria, Fountains, Palladio, etc went in those pretty much sealed it's doom.

If they were to do it there, i could see an arena linked to some sort of walk of shops and restaurants outdoors leading to the other outdoor area on K street with the theater and probably and over pass walk there at Hard Rock. In addition extra parking spaces.

lol...no...Not much beyond the obvious that we all already know. Definitely didn't sound like he answered fully about anyone from Seattle coming to them though.

Dave better be pretty damn confident if he's willing to throw out numbers like this and get kings fans hopes up.....

Carmichael Dave ‏@CarmichaelDave
“@209stockton209: @carmichaeldave hey dave,if u had to give a tru %..wats the chances we keep our kings!” 98%! No joke

As an addendum, the Maloofs have said they wouldn't sell to Burkle. Why not? I think Stern is trying to bypass such childishness.

David Aldridge said that. why? I guess being controversial and coming up with the next "scoop" keeps him relevant. Little does he understand, an ardent fanbase losing its team isn't the same kind of situation as to where to next slumping all-star will probably be traded to

Last edited:
David Aldridge said that. why? I guess being controversial and coming up with the next "scoop" keeps him relevant. Little does he understand, an ardent fanbase losing its team isn't the same kind of situation as to where to next slumping all-star will probably be traded to
Even if that is true, and quite frankly knowing the Maloofs I would not be surprised, it really is irrelevant in all this. It is not about what Maloofs want as they are now officially irrelevant in this while sorry saga.

This is about NBA choosing what they think is in overall best interest of the league provided of course that there is a matching offer from another ownership group willing to keep the team in Sacramento and be part of the effort to build a new arena.

Once Maloofs have decided to sell, they have become irrelevant in the whole story. They will look to get the most money they can which is fair enough and expected. Anyone would do that! However, as long as they get the same amount of money in their pockets (or more) they won't have a say in whether they sell to Burkle or Hansen. That decision will be made by the NBA board of governors and that is something that Aldridge does not seem to get.

He is looking at this issue as in Maloofs are in control and they can sell to whomever they want and the NBA will not stand in their way. Personally, I don't believe that to be true and NBA very much cares what happens in this saga because if this thing plays out as expected (ie KJ coming up with a matching or better offer) and they still chose Seattle over Sacramento, it would be a bigger mark on the NBA than Sonics leaving the Seattle.

I think the situations are very different which is something Aldridge does not seem to get at all.

Dave better be pretty damn confident if he's willing to throw out numbers like this and get kings fans hopes up.....

Carmichael Dave ‏@CarmichaelDave
“@209stockton209: @carmichaeldave hey dave,if u had to give a tru %..wats the chances we keep our kings!” 98%! No joke
Here is what I dont understand. I understand that Maloofs want more money and has put pressure on the KJ to keep the kids in Sacramento. I get that. So now you have Eli Broad, Burkle and other men who have put the dollars together to build a new arena and keep the team. BUt what I dont understand is why doesn't the NBA solve this by saying ok Kings stay in Sacramento and Seattle get a expansion team? When you go and read Seattle blogs they really dont want the team to leave from Sac. They want the team to stay there. So just doesnt make sense.. I am hoping the Stern says Kings cant move and then have to stay in sacramento.

If you add Seattle as an expansion team, you have to add another down the road.

Maybe if they dont add expansion move, Charlotte to Seattle and move Memphis to the Eastern Conference.

Glenn

Hall of Famer
Even if that is true, and quite frankly knowing the Maloofs I would not be surprised, it really is irrelevant in all this. It is not about what Maloofs want as they are now officially irrelevant in this while sorry saga.

This is about NBA choosing what they think is in overall best interest of the league provided of course that there is a matching offer from another ownership group willing to keep the team in Sacramento and be part of the effort to build a new arena.

Once Maloofs have decided to sell, they have become irrelevant in the whole story. They will look to get the most money they can which is fair enough and expected. Anyone would do that! However, as long as they get the same amount of money in their pockets (or more) they won't have a say in whether they sell to Burkle or Hansen. That decision will be made by the NBA board of governors and that is something that Aldridge does not seem to get.

He is looking at this issue as in Maloofs are in control and they can sell to whomever they want and the NBA will not stand in their way. Personally, I don't believe that to be true and NBA very much cares what happens in this saga because if this thing plays out as expected (ie KJ coming up with a matching or better offer) and they still chose Seattle over Sacramento, it would be a bigger mark on the NBA than Sonics leaving the Seattle.

I think the situations are very different which is something Aldridge does not seem to get at all.
I am always looking for ways that make me feel better. :)

There is no rule that says that the local ownership group has to be totally intact before the Maloofs file for relocation. If it appears that a local group is a smidge from being put together, the BOG can turn down a move to Seattle. Isn't that correct? What's the rush? The NBA seems to be willing to bend over backward to keep the Kings in Sacramento and I think they SHOULD be willing to bend over backwards. There is no time limit on when the team can be sold. As far as I can see it, if they got the local ownership group together by July, that would be fine. It is not so complicated to sell locally as to sell to Seattle. They simply sell and play in the same arena.

The Maloofs could file whatever they want to file but it could be turned down based on the solid expectation of a local group coming together.

Here is what I dont understand. I understand that Maloofs want more money and has put pressure on the KJ to keep the kids in Sacramento. I get that. So now you have Eli Broad, Burkle and other men who have put the dollars together to build a new arena and keep the team. BUt what I dont understand is why doesn't the NBA solve this by saying ok Kings stay in Sacramento and Seattle get a expansion team? When you go and read Seattle blogs they really dont want the team to leave from Sac. They want the team to stay there. So just doesnt make sense.. I am hoping the Stern says Kings cant move and then have to stay in sacramento.

Maybe if they dont add expansion move, Charlotte to Seattle and move Memphis to the Eastern Conference.

The most annoying part of all of this is that Seattle doesn't need an NBA team, they really don't. They were given a firm deadline to put something together before the Sonics left, but after building new facilities for the Seahawks and Mariners there was no political will to get it done. But by that time, the Sonics were a distant third wheel in the Seattle sports scene. When they beat us in the first round of the playoffs (I believe the year Webb was traded), the Mariners still were on the front page. Seattle is not a major market, they would have three other professional teams that would be put before the Sonics/Kings in the Seahawks,Mariners and Sounders. They have major NCAA.. again, there is no need for them really to have a team but Hansen and his group unfortunately keeps pushing it

I am always looking for ways that make me feel better. :)

There is no rule that says that the local ownership group has to be totally intact before the Maloofs file for relocation. If it appears that a local group is a smidge from being put together, the BOG can turn down a move to Seattle. Isn't that correct? What's the rush? The NBA seems to be willing to bend over backward to keep the Kings in Sacramento and I think they SHOULD be willing to bend over backwards. There is no time limit on when the team can be sold. As far as I can see it, if they got the local ownership group together by July, that would be fine. It is not so complicated to sell locally as to sell to Seattle. They simply sell and play in the same arena.

The Maloofs could file whatever they want to file but it could be turned down based on the solid expectation of a local group coming together.
The relocation vote won't come till after the ownership change vote.

I'm not a lawyer, but if the league openly and blatantly did that I would imagine that it would only open a huge can of anti-trust mess.

The most annoying part of all of this is that Seattle doesn't need an NBA team, they really don't. They were given a firm deadline to put something together before the Sonics left, but after building new facilities for the Seahawks and Mariners there was no political will to get it done. But by that time, the Sonics were a distant third wheel in the Seattle sports scene. When they beat us in the first round of the playoffs (I believe the year Webb was traded), the Mariners still were on the front page. Seattle is not a major market, they would have three other professional teams that would be put before the Sonics/Kings in the Seahawks,Mariners and Sounders. They have major NCAA.. again, there is no need for them really to have a team but Hansen and his group unfortunately keeps pushing it
That was arguably the dumbest thing you could ever say...I suggest staying away from Seattle and Sonics fans, especially with those comments...Seattle has always been a great sports city. And almost everyone knows they got screwed out of the Sonics...

I have to agree that Seattle isn't a major market. I know 13th isn't that large. I just think there is something about the whole thing that I have seen before. Seattle is trying to get the maloofs to sell to them but for some reason, the rug keeps getting pulled from under them. I know where I have seen this play out before. It happened to Ken Bering when they were trying to get the Seattle Football Club to move to LA and they went back and forth and then Ken thought he had the team and moved them. Then the NFL took it back from him. I bet you anything that Seattle won't get the Kings. My prediction is: Kings being sold to the group of Sacramento businessman because NBA wont let them move. I think the NBA wants Maloofs gone. So they would allow the Kings to be sold because there was no one to come up and offer anything for the Kings. But since KJ has these businessmen ready to buy the team and create a new arena, I would guess NBA says no to relocation and then Maloofs have to sell and they stay in Sacramento. Relocation committee is key here. When KJ has the meeting with them soon, I bet he will convince the guys not to move the team because they got the people to buy it and keep it there.

I do think though that every city tries to have every major league franchise in their city. The city likes it because of the revenue it creates. So if one person might not like the 49ers, they can like the Warriors. If I don't like the LA Galaxy, I dont have to spend my money with them. I can go and support the Dodgers instead. Now I need to go and support the Kings through that website.

I honestly see no way that Kevin Johnson does not come up with a group with lots of dollars wanting to keep the team here. I have absolutely all confidence in him, his relationships with wealth investors, David stern and clay Bennett, and his passion for sacramento. I've heard the argument that Seattle has a lot of emotional sentiment involved with their offer...we have a man who I believe has lived his life for a moment like this. Imho, the wildcard is whether our offer is enough, the maloofs and the bog vote, of the three, the only one I fear is the maloofs...I can't even pretend to predict what they will or will not do

That was arguably the dumbest thing you could ever say...I suggest staying away from Seattle and Sonics fans, especially with those comments...Seattle has always been a great sports city. And almost everyone knows they got screwed out of the Sonics...

How were they screwed out of the Sonics? I personally don't have a problem where that team is now. They are now in an area that is rabid about them, and not the 4th fiddle or whatever sports scene.

I'm well aware that there were some die hard Sonic fans, as there are die-hards everywhere, who had long-time season tickets etc. Of course I feel bad for them. But that city had as much opportunity, if not more, to address an aging arena and imminent departure of a team than we have had, and without competition, and the community did not want to put public funding up like ours does.

I honestly see no way that Kevin Johnson does not come up with a group with lots of dollars wanting to keep the team here. I have absolutely all confidence in him, his relationships with wealth investors, David stern and clay Bennett, and his passion for sacramento. I've heard the argument that Seattle has a lot of emotional sentiment involved with their offer...we have a man who I believe has lived his life for a moment like this. Imho, the wildcard is whether our offer is enough, the maloofs and the bog vote, of the three, the only one I fear is the maloofs...I can't even pretend to predict what they will or will not do
Doesn't really matter. They are powerless. If the NBA says "no" to Seattle, it doesn't matter what the Maloofs think.

How were they screwed out of the Sonics? I personally don't have a problem where that team is now. They are now in an area that is rabid about them, and not the 4th fiddle or whatever sports scene.

I'm well aware that there were some die hard Sonic fans, as there are die-hards everywhere, who had long-time season tickets etc. Of course I feel bad for them. But that city had as much opportunity, if not more, to address an aging arena and imminent departure of a team than we have had, and without competition, and the community did not want to put public funding up like ours does.
I hate that the sonics moved. But they had 2 chances to keep their team. First, when Schultz sold the team a local buyer could have bought it. Ballmer could have stepped up, but if I recall he wasn't interested. Then after Bennett bought the team they could have built a new arena. But they passed an initiative prohibiting public money being used on sports complexes. It wasn't until 2 years after buying the team that Bennett gave the ultimatum to build or they would move.

Status
Not open for further replies.