Will we ever be good again?

rainmaker

Hall of Famer
If you posted this thread in 94, when I first became a Kings fan, it would look ridiculous from 98-06.

Sports is full of cycles. We just have more down than up. But we'll eventually be good either in Sac or elsewhere. Even if by accident.

VF21

Super Moderator Emeritus
SME
@VF

sometime within the next couple of years and at least a playoff team.
At one time, I would have responded with a positive and upbeat reply, where you could almost hear the sounds of "Tomorrow" in the background. Now, however, there's just no way to tell. There are so many different forces at work that impact our team. They don't know where they might be playing in a year or two; they don't know who'll be coaching them; none of them have an idea of what their role is or should be.

I have to some extent become like the Chicago Cubs fans. My expectations cannot get much lower. I watch the game, hope for something good and leave it at that. I have no problems making vacation plans for any time after mid-April - something I once would never have done. It may not be the cup of tea for most basketball fans but it's my cup of tea - bitter sometimes but soothing at others and it's better than no tea at all.

L

LWP777

If the Magoofs ever sell we have a chance to be good again otherwise it will take trading DMC for a few nice players and then getting super lucky in the draft in the next year or two (which never happens to us). So I guess the short answer is NO!

Last edited by a moderator:
getting super lucky in the draft in the next year or two (which never happens to us). So I guess the short answer is NO!
its not "getting lucky" its more of a problem of Petrie not addressing team needs.

with a decent GM we would either have Kawai Leonard OR Klay thompson/Damian Lillard or Kemba Walker/Harrison Barnes from the last 2 drafts. instead we got Jimmer and T-Rob..............

look at our lineup either choice....

Lillard/Evans/Leonard/JT/DMC
or
Lillard/Evans/Thompson/JT/DMC
or
Walker/Evans/Barnes/JT/DMC

also think about the trades/free agents petrie didnt go for. off the top of my head i can think of Kyle Lowry,OJ Mayo, Kaman, Dalembert, Morrow, Korver

Bricklayer

Don't Make Me Use The Bat
Barring contraction, of course "we" will. I use "we" to mean the franchise though. In a salary capped system nobody ever stays bad forever. I would go so far as to say, give me a bilion dollars, have me buy the team and take over control tommorow, and I could have this team in the playoffs by next season. You're never that far off, and we already have the talent you would need to win/acquire the guys you need to win. But all our decisionmakers have been terrible from the coach on up, and so you're stuck until they quit being so. Given all the agendas clouding our focus on winning, it may not be until they all cycle out.

I remember a lot of people saying Lillard should be avoided and would be a "bust" because he came from a small school. And when the word of his "unreal" workouts came down even that was poo poo'd as meaning nothing.

Easy with hindsight to say we should have picked this guy and that guy, nothings a sure thing in the draft or the NBA.

L

LWP777

I remember a lot of people saying Lillard should be avoided and would be a "bust" because he came from a small school. And when the word of his "unreal" workouts came down even that was poo poo'd as meaning nothing.

Easy with hindsight to say we should have picked this guy and that guy, nothings a sure thing in the draft or the NBA.
I think the Kings were high on him. They just had Robinson ahead of him and didn't really expect him to be there at #5. You can't really fault the Kings for drafting TRob. It's still way too early to determine who the better player will be.

Bricklayer

I think the Kings were high on him. They just had Robinson ahead of him and didn't really expect him to be there at #5. You can't really fault the Kings for drafting TRob. It's still way too early to determine who the better player will be.
No, its really not.

L

LWP777

No, its really not.
Do you just enjoy disagreeing with all my posts? Are you really saying that after 21 NBA games (especially considering he isn't even getting a lot of playing time) that it's already determined that Lillard will have a better career than TRob? You are the same person who says we need to be patient with DMC after 2 years of him acting like a clown. You contradict yourself and make no sense!

Bricklayer

Do you just enjoy disagreeing with all my posts? Are you really saying that after 21 NBA games (especially considering he isn't even getting a lot of playing time) that it's already determined that Lillard will have a better career than TRob? You are the same person who says we need to be patient with DMC after 2 years of him acting like a clown. You contradict yourself and make no sense!
Knowing talent when you see it makes perfect sense.

i believe they will get to the playoffs again if they make a change at either the coach, or the gm or both. heck throw in a change at ownership for good measure. (of course the belief is for a better coach/gm/owner). some believe that the players dont fit together, but a good coach can play the right players together or do well with what he's given (ie adelman, or a good gm will put the right pieces together to make a good team. of course that team could be put together easier if we didnt have a bunch of stupid broke owners running the team