[Game] Kings vs. Hawks 11/16/12

Live blogging Keith Smart's (hopefully) final post-game press conference! Woot!
Remember at the end how worried Theus seemed and then now terribly stessed Westphal was right before both were fired. I don't detect any such from Smart yet but maybe we'll see something different in how Smart reacts to his utter debacle tonight.

Ugh! I always try to find something positive to build on but this was just awful, no defense, the bench plays well at the end of the 2nd quarter so Smart sits them down for the 3rd, no rhythm, no balance to the offense... just awful.

Capt. Factorial

trifolium contra tempestatem subrigere certum est
Staff member
Live blogging Keith Smart's (hopefully) final post-game press conference! Woot!
It's disappointing. Sometimes when you get everybody back they're out of rhythm.

He's got to balance the roster out (whatever that means).

They all think they're all one-on-one players, but they're not.

Has to find the right combination to move the basketball.

DeMarcus was rusty.

Gotta keep working to get out of this team funk.

Capt. Factorial

Staff member
His job, players' job, is to ignore relocation stuff.

This is where character of who the team is comes out.

Liked the second unit's effort in the 2nd quarter, hoped that the first unit from the bench would learn from that, so he started them.

He's definitely going to tweak the lineup. It's not a functioning group right now.

It's disappointing. Sometimes when you get everybody back they're out of rhythm.

DeMarcus was rusty.

Yes, because meanwhile in San Antonio Pop is going hmm my guys when put together somehow don't move the basketball. I need to find a LINEUP that moves the basketball. That would be far easier than just drawing up plays and GETTING guys to move the basketball as part of the offense.

DeMarcus was rusty.

God I f'n hate this coach. With the exception of the injury return stuff, the other things are totally created by him.

Got to balance the roster out: You mean not play guys inconsistent minutes, icing your own players or utilizing matchups that actually make sense
All think they are one-on-one players: There is no offense. No real sets. No movement. What do you think is going to happen?

His job, players' job, is to ignore relocation stuff.

This is where character of who the team is comes out.

Liked the second unit's effort in the 2nd quarter, hoped that the first unit from the bench would learn from that, so he started them.

He's definitely going to tweak the lineup. It's not a functioning group right now.
Yup. Spend 8 preseason games "tweaking" your lineup, supposedly finding combinations that work. And here you are, 8 games in and you're still tweaking your lineup and finding combinations that work. Moron.

Ugh! I always try to find something positive to build on but this was just awful, no defense, the bench plays well at the end of the 2nd quarter so Smart sits them down for the 3rd, no rhythm, no balance to the offense... just awful.
Why would he start the bench in the 3rd? No one does that. And the bench showed why they're bench players in the 4th. The problem is thinking the bench is going to win you games in this league by themselves.

the biggest problem is Smart makes no distinction between who's playing well and not. He just subs out entire lineups. Some of the bench should have played more. Some of it should have played less. Some of the starters should have played more, and JJ probably less.

Capt. Factorial

Staff member
Doesn't have a "point guard" except on certain plays. It's not a set-in-stone system that one guy is supposed to handle the ball in the half court.

Trying to erase bad habits, showing film, etc.

"I would boo this team right now. I would boo me right now."

Remember at the end how worried Theus seemed and then now terribly stessed Westphal was right before both were fired. I don't detect any such from Smart yet but maybe we'll see something different in how Smart reacts to his utter debacle tonight.
Why should Smart be worried? He's already got a big fat paycheck guaranteed regardless of whether he's fired or not.

Doesn't have a "point guard" except on certain plays. It's not a set-in-stone system that one guy is supposed to handle the ball in the half court.

Trying to erase bad habits, showing film, etc.

"I would boo this team right now. I would boo me right now."
What is the system? I literally still can't figure out what kind of offense they are running. Honestly, I've never seen something like this is the nba that has basically not changed in close to 3 years.

They think they're 1v1 players because a) you gave them all a green light and b) they feel they have to gun or else they'll get benched for a quarter.

When you go 11-12 deep, guys will fight for shots. Smart caused this. It's also because he HASN'T DEFINED ROLES.

he puts alot of blame on the players, not really admiting to his mistakes, he says he had this plan to try this starting lineup for 10 games then try a different one.

Why would he start the bench in the 3rd? No one does that. And the bench showed why they're bench players in the 4th. The problem is thinking the bench is going to win you games in this league by themselves.

the biggest problem is Smart makes no distinction between who's playing well and not. He just subs out entire lineups. Some of the bench should have played more. Some of it should have played less. Some of the starters should have played more, and JJ probably less.
the line up that closed out the first half got us back in the game, to start the second half with them sitting down is what makes no sense. No doubt the whole sale substations are nuts but when the starting 5 were that ineffective they did certainly did not deserve to be restarted as a unit.

Capt. Factorial

Staff member
Have to get to the point where the players believe that what they're doing is not working. If they want to continue the way they're playing then he's going to have to get some people off the floor.

More about balance and fitting it together.

"No matter how bad things are you've still gotta play." (about guys hanging their heads)

Teams that lose panic and think they need to make wholesale changes, and that's the wrong thing to do.

Has "several" guys he's looking at inserting into the starting lineup but he won't say who in case the Brooklyn Nets are listening.

That's it!

the line up that closed out the first half got us back in the game, to start the second half with them sitting down is what makes no sense. No doubt the whole sale substations are nuts but when the starting 5 were that ineffective they did certainly did not deserve to be restarted as a unit.
You don't bench an entire starting unit to start the 3rd. The bench ended up showing why they're bench players in the first place. Unless I missed the lighting it up in the 4th.