News from the NBA BOG meeting - April 2012

Just went and re-watched this video to confirm that it actually happened.

[video]http://www.nba.com/video/channels/nba_tv/2012/02/27/20120227_sac_kings_news.nba[/video]

Someone should have played that back at the Maloofs as their question.
Just look at George's body language in the background it's a mixture of uncomfortable and annoyed.

Can the NBA theoretically force the Maloofs to sell the team? It seems that their poor financial situation is limiting so many options for the franchise.

There has to be some sort of NBA ownership provision that states financial viability and operating a franchise in the best interest of the NBA. Even Donald Sterling made the clipper financially viable, and he is the cheapest owner ever.

Can the NBA theoretically force the Maloofs to sell the team? It seems that their poor financial situation is limiting so many options for the franchise.
They can, but only under certain conditions, i.e. if the owners commit fraud or can no longer finanically run the franchise (pay their employees)

Warhawk

Give blood and save a life!
Staff member
On TV? I'll check NBA Channel, but wasn't planning on sitting at a computer and had chores to do in the garage where I have a TV and Dish.

Glenn

Hall of Famer
The Maloofs approach makes sense if they are broke. They figure it is far cheaper to upgrade a few seats at PBP than completely start from scratch and build something half way decent. (No body has to tell me that the old PBP is inadequate for the city's purpose or to help renovate downtown Sacramento but we have passed that point as far as the Maloofs go).

I know there are arguments against that but if that's all the money they have and if that's all the credit they have, it makes sense. It also makes sense that the city contribute nothing to an "upgrade" of PBP. I actually understand what they are trying to do.

They can't afford to relocate and aren't asking that. I believe that approach has been shot down by all the people the Maloofs could hire. I think relocating has been proven. Now it can be proven they can't build a new arena because they don't have the money. So we will now have a renovated PBP. It will be 2nd rate totally but it will be better than what exists. I suspect this is the way the Maloofs see it.

No matter how the BOG comes down on it (heck, maybe they would want to finance the Maloofs part) the Maloofs are broke and can't do anything more. Unfortunately this makes sense to me.

Bottom line: why won't they sell? Somebody please ask that. This would take an awful lot of pressure off the Maloofs, it would take pressure off the City as they already have done the heavy lifting, and the NBA would be as happy as a clam in heat.

They probably would lose money but they are losing money anyway. I have to head out of town REAL soon but can someone answer my question as to selling? I KNOW they don't want to sell but at this point, I see no other solution that satisfies the basketball needs and the city's needs.

Last edited:

gunks

Hall of Famer
The Maloofs approach makes sense if they are broke. They figure it is far cheaper to upgrade a few seats at PBP than completely start from scratch and build something half way decent. (No body has to tell me that the old PBP is inadequate for the city's purpose or to help renovate downtown Sacramento but we have passed that point as far as the Maloofs go).

I know there are arguments against that but if that's all the money they have and if that's all the credit they have, it makes sense. It also makes sense that the city contribute nothing to an "upgrade" of PBP. I actually understand what they are trying to do.

They can't afford to relocate. I think that has been proven. Now it can be proven they can't build a new arena. So we will now have a renovated PBP. It will be 2nd rate totally but it will be better than what exists. I suspect this is the way the Maloofs see it.

No matter how the BOG comes down on it (heck, maybe they would want to finance the Maloofs part) the Maloofs are broke and can't do anything more. Unfortunately this makes sense to me.

Bottom line: why won't they sell? Somebody please ask that. This would take an awful lot of pressure off the Maloofs, it would take pressure off the City as they already have done th heavy lifting, and the NBA would be as happy as a clam in heat.

They probably would lose money but they are losing money anyway. I have to head out of town REAL soon but can someone answer my question as to selling?
Short answer:
They wont sell because they are spoiled D bags.

Long answer:
Same as the short answer but with A LOT more profanity.

They can't afford to relocate. I think that has been proven. Now it can be proven they can't build a new arena. So we will now have a renovated PBP. It will be 2nd rate totally but it will be better than what exists. I suspect this is the way the Maloofs see it.

Bottom line: why won't they sell? Somebody please ask that. This would take an awful lot of pressure off the Maloofs, it would take pressure off the City as they already have done th heavy lifting, and the NBA would be as happy as a clam in heat.

They probably would lose money but they are losing money anyway. I have to head out of town REAL soon but can someone answer my question as to selling?
Wouldn't a renovation paid for by the Maloofs cost more than their $73 million contribution to the new arena anyway?

hrdboild

Moloch in whom I dream Angels!
Staff member
Right, which of course is a losing game only broke fools would endorse because it's perfectly plain to everyone else that any amount of money thrown into renovating PVP at this point is wasted money. If your car is in the shop every couple of months you scrap it and put that money towards a new car instead. There's no way in you know where that Stern is going to approve of that idea.

Pride, they don't want to open their books to see how much debt they have in the team lowering the selling price.

They can't afford to relocate and aren't asking that. I believe that approach has been shot down by all the people the Maloofs could hire. I think relocating has been proven. Now it can be proven they can't build a new arena because they don't have the money. So we will now have a renovated PBP. It will be 2nd rate totally but it will be better than what exists. I suspect this is the way the Maloofs see it.

Bottom line: why won't they sell? Somebody please ask that. This would take an awful lot of pressure off the Maloofs, it would take pressure off the City as they already have done the heavy lifting, and the NBA would be as happy as a clam in heat.

They probably would lose money but they are losing money anyway. I have to head out of town REAL soon but can someone answer my question as to selling? I KNOW they don't want to sell but at this point, I see no other solution that satisfies the basketball needs and the city's needs.
The maloofs have said that they're biggest regret was their family selling the Rockets. The maloofs will hold on to this team until they have no other options.