[Game] Kings @ Clippers - 4/7/12

Looks like the team said **** it once they started allowing guys to get concussions on the court.

Griffin is going to get hero PR from this game, but he basically scored most of his points against ghosts. Just a bunch of easy dunks on leakouts and blown transition defense. Cousins actually shut him down one on one, which may have been the best part of DMC's game tonight.

Kingster

Hall of Famer
The big run came with IT out of the game. Smart kept him out waaaaay too long. CP3 had his way with everybody other than IT. You might be able to hang in there with Griffin and Foye having big games, but not with Paul as well.

Looking forward to seeing Foye on the All-Star ballot. I think he'll be there with Klay Thompson and others that have stepped on the Kings this year. Just pathetic defense out there.

Was it in an interview?
Nah MT went right up to Paul after the game was over. They were talking for a while and it looked like it started friendly, then when the camera got closer you clearly heard Marcus say to him "Yea well you were talking **** to the whole bench" and they kept going back and fourth. Paul looked a little confused or something. Then Cousins came over and didn't say anything just kind of stood there... then CP3 and MT walked away from each other .. no hugs or even a 'bye' .. just kind of walked away.

Yeah, I don't want to hear that IT is part of the no-defense lineup. He has bothered CP3 for two games in a row. Granted, Paul was looking to pass first, but he still couldn't get off when he was trying to score versus IT in the second half. Paul got off once he had Jimmer on him. (To nobody's surprise.)

VF21

Super Moderator Emeritus
SME
Now this could become an interesting "rivalry"...except they'll say we aren't good enough to be their rivals. I hate LA.

Nah MT went right up to Paul after the game was over. They were talking for a while and it looked like it started friendly, then when the camera got closer you clearly heard Marcus say to him "Yea well you were talking **** to the whole bench" and they kept going back and fourth. Paul looked a little confused or something. Then Cousins came over and didn't say anything just kind of stood there... then CP3 and MT walked away from each other .. no hugs or even a 'bye' .. just kind of walked away.
Lol, when DMC came over, CP3 was probably like "Uhhh... Blake!? Where are you??" haha. Seems like this is a new, good rivalry brewing between these 2 teams. Clippers are classless. Glad one of our guys called them out without going to the media or anything. Thanks Mass and Skinner for the updates.

Tetsujin

The Game Thread Dude
Considering the fact that at one point 4/5 of our intended starting line-up at the beginning of the season was injured and the NBA apparently decided that it was okay for the Clippers to dish out head trauma, I'm really not so sure how this game was close for three quarters.

Yeah, I don't want to hear that IT is part of the no-defense lineup. He has bothered CP3 for two games in a row. Granted, Paul was looking to pass first, but he still couldn't get off when he was trying to score versus IT in the second half. Paul got off once he had Jimmer on him. (To nobody's surprise.)
IT played for 30 minutes, Paul went for 19 points 5 rebounds 15 assists and 7 steals with 3 turnovers. Not sure if I feel comfortable saying anyone did a good job on/around him.

rainmaker

Hall of Famer
IT played for 30 minutes, Paul went for 19 points 5 rebounds 15 assists and 7 steals with 3 turnovers. Not sure if I feel comfortable saying anyone did a good job on/around him.
IT did better than Jimmer, but neither did well, with Jimmer just being terrible defensively. But, I don't think it's either's fault for being put in that situation. Reke or TWill should have been on CP3 from the get go.

IT did better than Jimmer, but neither did well, with Jimmer just being terrible defensively. But, I don't think it's either's fault for being put in that situation. Reke or TWill should have been on CP3 from the get go.
Ya I agree. A couple people mention IT being out as the cause of the Clippers making a run. From my perspective the loss and runs were more due to being outclassed/giving up and not something a single player did or didn't do.

Nice to see honeycutt bringing some effort after everyone gave up. I hope he gets increased minutes tomorrow, especially with everyone hurt.

oh yea almost forgot...F the Clippers

Historically, CP3 has been able to get what he wants vs Reke. Paul wasn't the big problem though. He got his assists, but it's overrotation and horrible transition play that gave the Clips their point output.

The kings have one glaring problem that shows on both ends of the court: they go towards the ball without thought for anything else much. On offense, the poor spacing is because guys are coming back towards the ball when they should be clearing out. On defense, the wings are always wide open because Thornton and Reke are always over-rotating and looking to steal the ball. Just force a team to take a tougher shot for once. Stay home on defense for once.

Bricklayer

Don't Make Me Use The Bat
alot of people said they saw t-mac type raw talent in him with his athletisism and jumpshot, he just needs to get comfy out there.

Wait what, who? Please don't compare Honeycutt to TMac. Or please tell me you mean a different TMac. Maybe Teddy MacIntosh your geeky buddy you play pickup ball wiht on weekends or something.

Honeycutt has been projected as a rolpelayer in the NBA. Defense, hit threes, maybe make the occasional pass. I've never heard anyone make claims he can be a star of any kind. Just a potentially helpful rotation guy.

"I mean this in the nicest possible way, you have to consider the source," Griffin said. "If this is somebody that really has been in this league a long time and really knows the ins and outs of the game, and he ... has a great reputation for carrying himself the right way, that's something that I would look at and go, `I really rubbed this guy the wrong way.' But something like that, you just keep going."
Blake has a career in politics ahead of him

We were also missing three of our top rotation players
The fact remains.

In tonight's game, we were only able to conjure up 9 offensive rebounds, 6 of which came from Demarcus. Maybe Thornton could've given us a lift in that aspect with his knack for grabbing offensive re's and putback points.

We've yet to see Salmons operate next to Williams, so that may be something of interest if he's able to get healthy. Prior to Williams, he was the guy who made a potential duo with Jimmer.

Wait what, who? Please don't compare Honeycutt to TMac. Or please tell me you mean a different TMac. Maybe Teddy MacIntosh your geeky buddy you play pickup ball wiht on weekends or something.

Honeycutt has been projected as a rolpelayer in the NBA. Defense, hit threes, maybe make the occasional pass. I've never heard anyone make claims he can be a star of any kind. Just a potentially helpful rotation guy.
haha omg teddy mac!! ok for real though ,look carefully, at what point in my statement did you see me compare honeycutt to a polished T-Mac? if you think i did you got me all wrong buddy. I said a RAW T-mac type talent, you know, the 6'8 athletic guy back in 96, at the same point in his professional career(granted tmac was much younger) as honeycutt, and i believe that to be accurate.

oh and as far as projections im sure in his 1st year with little to no playing time t-mac was assessed by many the same way your/talking heads are assessing Honeycutt

bottom-line is we both dont know how he will turnout exactly, the main point i was trying to get across is that in a wasted season like this one we should run him out there for 20ish mins consistently to get a better look at him as we already know we have nothing at the SF spot in anyone else

Last edited:
Historically, CP3 has been able to get what he wants vs Reke. Paul wasn't the big problem though. He got his assists, but it's overrotation and horrible transition play that gave the Clips their point output.

The kings have one glaring problem that shows on both ends of the court: they go towards the ball without thought for anything else much. On offense, the poor spacing is because guys are coming back towards the ball when they should be clearing out. On defense, the wings are always wide open because Thornton and Reke are always over-rotating and looking to steal the ball. Just force a team to take a tougher shot for once. Stay home on defense for once.
Completely agree with defense rotations and offensive spacing. It had looked much better so I think missing some of our players pretty much ruined it. They have improved since mid season but I think it won't be until middle of next year we notice a big change. I read somewhere that most of the NBA teams have had less than a dozen practices due to the compacted schedule. Looking forward to our defense next year with Davis back there to play goalie for us.... ;)

Kingster

Hall of Famer
You better review the tape. Paul went off when IT wasn't in there. IT did an excellent job on him, just as he did the previous game.

Glenn

Hall of Famer
haha omg teddy mac!! ok for real though ,look carefully, at what point in my statement did you see me compare honeycutt to a polished T-Mac? if you think i did you got me all wrong buddy. I said a RAW T-mac type talent, you know, the 6'8 athletic guy back in 96, at the same point in his professional career(granted tmac was much younger) as honeycutt, and i believe that to be accurate.

oh and as far as projections im sure in his 1st year with little to no playing time t-mac was assessed by many the same way your/talking heads are assessing Honeycutt

bottom-line is we both dont know how he will turnout exactly, the main point i was trying to get across is that in a wasted season like this one we should run him out there for 20ish mins consistently to get a better look at him as we already know we have nothing at the SF spot in anyone else
I don't know who should be run out there and who shouldn't but when Smart ran out TWill immediately, I got a small amount of respect for his ability to know who is ready to play and who isn't. The only part I might possibly agree with is that he should get a few minutes a game but than Smart has made up his mind, hasn't he?

I suspect very strongly that Smart knows how he will turn out eventually than either you or Brickayer and that Brick's comments may be more accurate than yours.