Kings get Marquis Daniels?

SacTownKid

Hall of Famer
Wouldn't help our cap one way or the other next summer, but gets the Kings over the league mandated minimum salary threshold.

If the Kings move I'm going to have a major problem with them picking up this much "cash" in deals lately considering how the product has looked the last few years. You don't build a winner with cash unless that cash is used to help bring in some talent. Have yet to see it the last few years.

Bricklayer

Don't Make Me Use The Bat
If true they are sending cash to pay the rest of this years salary. We should get a pick out of it too.
That could be the only possibility -- this isn't a trade at all. Its us again doing other teams a favor by using our capsapce to alleviate their woes. And our big payoff? Likely a 2nd round pick, unless the C's included a LOT of cash.

That could be the only possibility -- this isn't a trade at all. Its us again doing other teams a favor by using our capsapce to alleviate their woes. And our big payoff? Likely a 2nd round pick, unless the C's included a LOT of cash.
Most they can give is $3 mil. Not sure how much is left on Daniels contract for the year.

bajaden

Hall of Famer
Its being reported that there is cash involved. Don't know how much yet.

rainmaker

Hall of Famer
Reported we sent cash for Daniels

The Boston Celtics completed a bench makeover (for now) on Thursday by trading Marquis Daniels to the Sacramento Kings for cash, reports Ken Berger of CBSSports.com

Capt. Factorial

trifolium contra tempestatem subrigere certum est
Staff member
Yeah, there's no way we're sending the Celtics cash to pick up a player who is likely out for the year. More like we're sending one of our specialty super-protected second rounders and they're sending cash our way.

At some point, it would be nice if one of these favors actually worked in our favor in the way of picks or someone that is actually capable of playing. Not Cassell, Daniels, Dorsey, etc.

Capt. Factorial

Staff member
Yeah, there's no way we're sending the Celtics cash to pick up a player who is likely out for the year. More like we're sending one of our specialty super-protected second rounders and they're sending cash our way.
Actually, you know what? We've used up a lot of flexibility on those super-protected seconds, and it might be useful to keep one or two in pocket. Maybe we should send this year's first-round pick, top-29 protected.

Bricklayer

Don't Make Me Use The Bat
Seem like this trade is just a way for the Kings to avoid paying whatever the penalty is for having salary below the floor.
there's no penalty really -- you just have to pay the difference to the players association. Fall a million short, pay a million at the end fot eh year to the players. So it doesn't really matter if you pay it to guys on your roster or just directly to the association in general (who I think then redistributes it to all the players).

This probably is not about us, unless they gave us enough cash that the Maloofs, who are abruptly poor, couldn't say no. More likely its about Boston looking to avoid a luxury tax hit.

there's no penalty really -- you just have to pay the difference to the players association. Fall a million short, pay a million at the end fot eh year to the players. So it doesn't really matter if you pay it to guys on your roster or just directly to the association in general (who I think then redistributes it to all the players).

This probably is not about us, unless they gave us enough cash that the Maloofs, who are abruptly poor, couldn't say no. More likely its about Boston looking to avoid a luxury tax hit.
It opens a roster spot too.

rainmaker

Hall of Famer
I'm amazed at Petries aggressiveness and imagination.

If you don't like this, you don't like Kings basketball!
To be fair we don't know the restrictions put on him by the maloofs. Can't really judge much until the new CBA is in place, and Petrie gets the green light to spend the cap space.

Sorry, Petrie/Maloof, since we all know that Maloofs are putting their hands all over this kind of crap. Like all the other trades, this one is financially driven.

Capt. Factorial

Staff member
Sorry, Petrie/Maloof, since we all know that Maloofs are putting their hands all over this kind of crap. Like all the other trades, this one is financially driven.
What's wrong with that?

Sometimes I think fans get the impression that they should just be able to snap their fingers and get whatever they want at the trade deadline. People here have wanted Granger (not moving), Batum (so not moving he nearly killed the Gerald Wallace trade), O.J. Mayo (not moving), Tayshaun Prince (not moving), Gerald Wallace (cost two first-round picks). Aaron Brooks cost Goran Dragic and a first-round pick. Battier cost Thabeet and a first-round pick. Heck, even Kirk Hinrich cost a young player (Jordan Crawford) and a first-round pick.

Prices were high because the teams dealing are looking for help now. We don't really have a lot to spend that doesn't look like an integral part of the future. We can't afford to send an Evans, a Cousins, a Casspi, or even a Dalembert off for a guy like Brooks or Hinrich or Battier, right? And we certainly can't afford to send a first-round pick. Nobody useful was getting sold cheap, so we made a couple of small moves, one clearly financial (I think it's hard to classify the Landry/Thornton deal as financial, as he might be useful and it necessitated us picking up salary somewhere else). And we stay in position to make a big splash in the FA market this summer.

I just don't see why there are complaints here. Nobody handed us a pot of gold - but we shouldn't have expected that anyway.