[Game] Kings @ Wolves Game Thread, Wed 10/27 @ 5PM

I don't really know what you guys talk about, cause in my opinion Omri stayed on the floor in the clutch moments cause of his D(especiely on Beasley), nothing else.

I think the heat Donte is getting is too harsh, try look at the positive and see how he actually CAN rebound when he puts his mind into it.. his offensive game will come during the season.

Omri did good in his minutes imo, and had a nice block(I think it was him) and a dunk in the final minutes, overall playing good D... before the 4th he was so-so, exactly like Donte.

-Cousins started out slow but ended up with a very nice first game. Had a big jump hook at the end of the game.
- Head didn't really impress during preseason but he showed he belonged today.
- Greene continues to look lost out there. Even missing most of his free throws. Omri played at the end of the game, that should tell you something. Wouldn't be surprised if Omri starts soon if Greene continues this.
Disagree about Donte. He missed shots. Good unforced shots. Missed ft's. Neither have anything to do with looking lost. In fact, I think he looked much more comfortable than usual, and for the most part took the shots he should be taking, just didn't hit them. But what was the worst partof his game last year? Rebounding. He was a monster on the boards tonight. He was active defensively. He blocked a shot. Picked up a couple assists and looked to move the ball, not force things.

As for who's better between Donte and Omri at this point? Who knows. They're completely different players. The best player doesn't make the best starter. We've been over this before. Is it in the best interest of the offens to have Omri forcing shots with Tyreke, Landry, Beno, and Cousins out there? No. Donte is better in a more passive offensive role. Omri is a great spark off the bench, and can look for his more often whe playing without all the starters. Doesn't mean one is better or more important than the other at this point.

But I do think we'll see Omri finishing a lot of games this year. I see it working well going forward given the makeup of the team. Why would you insist on Omri starting? Omri can bring more offense off the bench, and IMO bringing Donte off our bench not only would hurt our chemistry offensively, but would weaken our bench.

Donte sucked at the free throw tonight but at sometime last season we've seen the hack an Omri scenario. Just a so-so night for both our your forwards.
Change or no change at least coach PW gave them 20 and 26 mins to play and no Wright sighting.

And as for the win, wow, I can honestly say I didn't see the Kings taking this one... huge very pleasent suprise for me, an away win in a tight game, regardless who the opponents are, is just 180 degrees from last season.. preety sure last season this would have been another 'missed' game, so thumbs up to everyone for pulling this win.

Disagree about Donte. He missed shots. Good unforced shots. Missed ft's. Neither have anything to do with looking lost. In fact, I think he looked much more comfortable than usual, and for the most part took the shots he should be taking, just didn't hit them. But what was the worst partof his game last year? Rebounding. He was a monster on the boards tonight. He was active defensively. He blocked a shot. Picked up a couple assists and looked to move the ball, not force things.

As for who's better between Donte and Omri at this point? Who knows. They're completely different players. The best player doesn't make the best starter. We've been over this before. Is it in the best interest of the offens to have Omri forcing shots with Tyreke, Landry, Beno, and Cousins out there? No. Donte is better in a more passive offensive role. Omri is a great spark off the bench, and can look for his more often whe playing without all the starters. Doesn't mean one is better or more important than the other at this point.

But I do think we'll see Omri finishing a lot of games this year. I see it working well going forward given the makeup of the team. Why would you insist on Omri starting? Omri can bring more offense off the bench, and IMO bringing Donte off our bench not only would hurt our chemistry offensively, but would weaken our bench.

Not insisting that Omri starts. Omri is just playing better right now. Greene was getting abused by Beasley, so I can't even give the defense to Greene. Agree with others who mention that Greene will start, but Omri may be the one to end games. Hoping Greene gets back into shape and gets his confidence back. Not going to stay on the floor much either if he can't make free throws.

gunks

Hall of Famer
in no way am i saying we are better without evans, but the ball seems to move more without him.
Reke needs to work on that aspect of his game. When you're good, you're going to dominate the ball. LeBron, Kobe, they do the same thing. Evans just needs to get up to their level and then it'll be fine ;)

Man nice win I couldnt watch it live, I had to DVR it and watch it all the way through was totally expecting a loss there. I loved how our guys played tonight ESPECIALLY Landry, Cisco and Luther Head those dudes balled hard tonight. I loved how when it became crunch time DMC demanded that rock and went to work as well, just a great effort from our guys tonight this is gonna be a fun ride this year.

Reke needs to work on that aspect of his game. When you're good, you're going to dominate the ball. LeBron, Kobe, they do the same thing. Evans just needs to get up to their level and then it'll be fine ;)
Well I for one really hope that the Kings do not become a Lebron-offense team.

Tetsujin

The Game Thread Dude
Well I for one really hope that the Kings do not become a Lebron-offense team.
The early '00s are over. We aren't the Greatest Show on Court anymore. We have a dominant guard and a dominant big, that's what we need to roll with. It has worked countless times before.

The early '00s are over. We aren't the Greatest Show on Court anymore. We have a dominant guard and a dominant big, that's what we need to roll with. It has worked countless times before.
Too many times it has worked to not be ecstatic that it won't work for us as well. The best thing for these guys is to know that not only is it Reke and DMC's future squad but our roleplayers can become better off our duos hopefull greatness.

I'm sure PW is capable of finding more ways of utilizing Tyreke's skills other than walk up the court-dribble-penetrate-pass only as a last resort. Even Kobe and MJ needed a real team and a real system to win. Tyreke can and should be dominant - that doesn't mean our offense should be one-dimensional.

Tetsujin

The Game Thread Dude
I'm sure PW is capable of finding more ways of utilizing Tyreke's skills other than walk up the court-dribble-penetrate-pass only as a last resort. Even Kobe and MJ needed a real team and a real system to win. Tyreke can and should be dominant - that doesn't mean our offense should be one-dimensional.
By no means am I saying our team should be one dimensional but if Reke and Boogie aren't getting the bulk of our offensive plays, then there is something wrong.

Well ... if you think about what we did today ... Our offense was: Pick and roll with Beno and DMC, Landry ISO facing basket, DMC ISO down low, Garcia shot coming off a screen. It wasn't as if we passed the ball around a lot and swung it till we got an open shot. A lot of our offense was really just of hustle and getting offensive rebounds. Comparing that with the usual offense when Evans in the game there's really only one difference which is having Garcia come off screens. We don't know whether Evans will feed DMC, we know that we do run the Landry thing even with Evans in the game, and we do run the pick and roll with Evans, just that he tends to go to the rim himself instead of passing it to the big. Which actually normally produces more points than the pick and rolls we ran today did.

Other than that what really was our offense? Luther Head wide open for 3 on a kick out (tyreke does that), Carl Landry getting the ball off some Cousins feeds and offensive rebounds, JT doing his usual not finishing, a sparse number of fast breaks ...

Me thinks our offense wasn't actually that much different without Tyreke in the game

By no means am I saying our team should be one dimensional but if Reke and Boogie aren't getting the bulk of our offensive plays, then there is something wrong.
They should be the primary options, for sure, but with the current system our offense IS stagnant and has been since the middle of last season. That's why I'm saying it's not Tyreke's fault - he is executing the plays that PW draws up for him. I just think that PW needs to be more creative with those plays because right now it's wayyyy too predictable and quite easy to stop, especially if you're playing against teams that are projected to have a better record than .300.

And I'm sure Westphal is working on it. This stuff doesn't change overnight, over a week, over a month, and sometimes not over a season.

Well ... if you think about what we did today ... Our offense was: Pick and roll with Beno and DMC, Landry ISO facing basket, DMC ISO down low, Garcia shot coming off a screen. It wasn't as if we passed the ball around a lot and swung it till we got an open shot. A lot of our offense was really just of hustle and getting offensive rebounds. Comparing that with the usual offense when Evans in the game there's really only one difference which is having Garcia come off screens. We don't know whether Evans will feed DMC, we know that we do run the Landry thing even with Evans in the game, and we do run the pick and roll with Evans, just that he tends to go to the rim himself instead of passing it to the big. Which actually normally produces more points than the pick and rolls we ran today did.

Other than that what really was our offense? Luther Head wide open for 3 on a kick out (tyreke does that), Carl Landry getting the ball off some Cousins feeds and offensive rebounds, JT doing his usual not finishing, a sparse number of fast breaks ...

Me thinks our offense wasn't actually that much different without Tyreke in the game
I missed most of today's game so I can't quite comment on our offense in this specific game, but we were playing Minnesota, so I'm not sure tonight's game can predict how we fair against actual NBA teams. I do remember last season, though, and we did play really good team ball until Tyreke was officially handed the keys to the team in January. Like I said - I don't blame Tyreke. He is a young player and when coach tells you to take the ball and drive every time, you do it. I'm saying that PW needs to come up with a better and less predictable system (or go back to whatever it was he was doing in November and December of 2009) and teach Tyreke and the other players to play within that system. That's why the Kings have a coach.

And I'm sure Westphal is working on it. This stuff doesn't change overnight, over a week, over a month, and sometimes not over a season.
That's the thing - I may be way off, but from my amateurish point of view it doesn't look like he's working on it. I would imagine we would see some king of even slight gradual change. I just don't see it at this point.

Wow. New interface since I lasted visited. Great win tonight!

Hey does anyone know what happened to that one moderator who used to scold everyone when they got out of line. I forgot her name but she was known for creating threads after a player did well by saying "ANY QUESTIONS?"

I feel like she used to live for the Kings and would not miss this board if her life depended on it.

Did she die???? Sorry for the morbid thought if she is still with us!!!

That's the thing - I may be way off, but from my amateurish point of view it doesn't look like he's working on it. I would imagine we would see some king of even slight gradual change. I just don't see it at this point.
Well one prob is that Evans and DMC haven't shown any offensive chemistry. Tyreke doesn't see his bigs open on flashes to the basket for some reason.

Overall, I'm tired of Tyreke at the top of the key versus all five defenders. That won't work until Evans learns to make free throw line decisions.

kingsboi

Hall of Famer
I'm glad we got the win tonight. I didn't expect Luke to go off on us, but it's better than K. Love doing it. We had our moments where we just played one-on-one very often and it made me want to change the channel. I don't know why we stopped going down the block to Cuz, he will either make a play, turn it over or pass it back out, we just have to take our chances with that rather than tryin to dribble no where and shoot a contested jumpshot. Carl & Cisco def. played well, I didn't like Darnell in there, I wanted to see more Whiteside, though he got two quick fouls. He might as well use em' all up, what bugs me is when he calls for the ball all he is looking to do is shoot the ball, I like the confidence but he needs to relax. I wish Donte can shoot the ball and hit some free throws, it's the same ol same ol with him. Casspi didn't look too bad, he didn't really force anything, but man...that defense def. needs some work, I like the passion and intensity though. Good win, any win on the road is good for a young team like this, so I'll take it.