Kings sign Antoine Wright and Pooh Jeter

The Sacramento Kings today signed free agents Antoine Wright and Pooh Jeter to contracts, according to Kings’ Vice President of Basketball Operations and General Manager Wayne Cooper. Per team policy, terms of the contracts were not disclosed.
“Antoine Wright and Pooh Jeter are two solid players at their respective positions who will add to our roster’s depth,” said Cooper. “Wright has five years of NBA experience under his belt and Jeter is coming off of a great summer league showing as he played for Cleveland’s team in Las Vegas.”
Wright, a 6-7, 215-pound forward-guard, who is currently entering his sixth NBA season, has recorded career averages of 5.6 points (.413 FGs, .306 3FGs, .674 FTs), 2.3 rebounds and 1.0 assists per game through 290 outings with New Jersey (2005-07), Dallas (2007-09) and Toronto (2009-10). He averaged 6.5 points (.406 FGs, .335 3FGs, .688 FTs), 2.8 rebounds and 1.1 assists per game over 67 contests last year with the Raptors. Wright has played in 28 career playoff games, averaging 3.9 points and 1.3 rebounds for the Nets (2005-07) and Mavericks (2007-09). He posted career averages of 15.4 points, 5.6 rebounds and 2.1 assists per game through 87 outings over his three-year career at Texas A&M before being drafted in the first round (15th overall) of the 2005 NBA Draft by the New Jersey Nets following his junior year.
Jeter, a 5-11, 175-pound guard, has played overseas for the last four seasons for BC Kiev (2007-08, Ukraine), ViveMenorca (2008-09, Spain), Unicaja Malaga (2009, Spain) and Hapoel Jerusalem (2009-10, Israel). His professional career began with the Colorado 14ers of the NBA D-League (2006-07) where he averaged 14.4 points (.486 FGs, .263 3FGs, .885 FTs), 7.1 assists and 3.0 rebounds per game through 50 contests. Jeter played for the Kings in the 2007 Summer League in Las Vegas, and most recently played for the Cleveland Cavaliers in the 2010 Summer League where he averaged 14.8 points (.482 FGs, .250 3FGs, .800 FTs), a team-leading 5.4 assists, 2.0 rebounds and 1.0 steals per game over five outings. He enjoyed a four-year career at the University of Portland, averaging 14.9 points (.550 FGs, .420 FTs), 3.0 assists and 2.8 rebounds per game through 115 career contests.
http://www.insidehoops.com/blog/?p=6299
Who the hell is Pooh Jeter?

Yea, Pooh played for our summer league team a few years ago and I think he was invited to trainig camp.

Another odd 'what the hell' signing. Fills a positiong of need, but cant shoot. If its guaranteed i'll be pretty surprised.

Didn't Pooh Jeter play for us in training camp in recent years? Or am I confusing him with someone else?
That's him. He at least fits the profile of the little change-of-pace 3rd PG, but the guy's been trying to make a regular season roster for several years. He appears to have played well for the Cavs in SL, but of course he's several years older than most of the players there.

Interesting writeup on Pooh:

The Cleveland Cavaliers will not be a good team this season. Whether they rebuild immediately or not, the team will clearly not be a championship contender in 2010-2011 and will be a fringe playoff team at best. In the meanwhile however, interesting story lines are developing with the summer league team in Las Vegas.

One of the best is the surprise of point guard Pooh Jeter, who nailed an impressive three-pointer with only 6.9 seconds remaining to give undefeated Cleveland an 81-80 victory over the Chicago Bulls Friday night. Jeter finished with 20 points, seven assists and only two turnovers in the contest, continuing a solid stretch of play in three games played for the Cavs team.

It’s been a work in progress implementing Byron Scott’s fast-paced offense, but Jeter might be developing as the best non-roster prospect out there. The 26-year-old out of University of Portland could add some depth to the back court especially in the case of a trade.

In his three games for the overachieving summer league Cavs, the “better” Jeter is now averaging 16.0 points along with 6.7 assists and only one turnover on 50% shooting from the field. He averaged 18.5 points along with about three assists and boards during his senior season in 2005-2006 before becoming a journeyman throughout Europe and the NBDL.

His handling of the Byron Scott offense has been a huge plus for the team so far, enabling players like J.J. Hickson (24.3 pts per game) and Danny Green (11.3 pts per game) to have much more success than usual. Who knows whether Mo Williams, Sebastian Telfair or any other potential guard on the team will be able to have this kind of efficiency with the new style, but at least it looks good for right now.

For those interested, Jeter also kept a blog of his summer league adventures from a season ago including some memories of his time hanging around the Cavs. It is a feel good story for all to enjoy and his heroics Friday could be a signal of a potential payday for him too.

http://www.waitingfornextyear.com/?p=31158

Anyway sounds like he has done a lot better in Summer League than
David Sloan has.

So for a 3rd String PG I think I like it much better than keeping Sloan

Not sure I care for the Antoine Signing, I guess that would leave one more
position left (Assuming Sloan and Jackson contracts are dropped

Maybe Ryan thompson still has a chance?

Entity

Hall of Famer
Its all going to depend on how they do in training camp. Pooh did pretty good for us in summer league. But we had pg's at that time.

TBH I couldn't care less who these 2 dudes are. None of the guys we picked up as a 3rd string PG and end of bench G/F would have been part of our future, so no need worrying exactly which ones we ended up with.

Spike

Subsidiary Intermediary
Staff member
Pooh did well in SL. Considering what we're looking at in the bargain bin, he's a pretty good pickup. Taking a gamble on someone who is a little more mature and experienced for our 3rd PG slot is fine by my book.

Antoine Wright - meh.

I'm pretty sure Westphal won't have to reach down to the 11th/12th/13th players on the bench, so that's OK. The two-deep rotation is pretty solid. I'd rather split minutes more evenly among the top 10 than worry about whether someone like Brockman will get into the game. These signings signal that there won't be a true vet stealing minutes from the kids.

rofl i know pooh jeter
he played in my favorite israeli basketball team ( hapoel jerusalem )
he his very short and he wasent great in the israeli league
he has a great shot and thats it kind of >.>

I think our 10man rotation is just awesome this year 5 bigs available, 2 SF and Cisco,Beno,Reke make a solid 3 man
rotation.

My guess is than Pooh nails the 3rd PG as the 12th man

And Antoine can sit in street clothes as a 13th inactive man for injury insurance only for SF/SG

I am Still hoping for a last min signing of an 11th man, SG thats a shooter that can back up Cisco
Who? I got no idea, last min FA? Someone that gets cut in training camp?, Someone over the cap
and needs to save some dough that is flush with SGs.

I think GP will be open to whatever might fall our way or we will end up with whomever shows up bigtime in Training camp

I confused his with Dorell. But Antoine is meh. **** *** signing.
Dorell isn't much of a perimeter threat, much worse than Antoine, but he did display some point forward responsibility in Miami. Antoine was supposedly used as a closer type player towards the end of the season for the Raptors. A well rounded, but doesn't master anything guard, hopefully much better than Udoka.

His given name is Eugene Jeter III.
EEck! Eugene!?! In my language that is the word for excrement.

Last edited:
We need shooters so we sign a midget and a bad apple that cant shoot 30% from 3?? I would rather have seen Ryan Thompson signed.
Yeah, I think that's my confusion with these signings. It's not like we are looking for a top 7-8 guys but our needs were clearly shooting and a bigger veteran guard that can pass. Neither of these guys (or Sloan) really do anything we need.

Bricklayer

Don't Make Me Use The Bat
the shooting angle is the surprising thing for me. We got from being so desperate for shooting that we investigate Da Stache, to apparently just totally throwing our hand sup and signing two guys for whom shooting is a major weakness. Odd.