Al Jefferson relocating to Sacramento??

I'd probably think about it if Cousins is gone by #5. The thing is, Dalembert and Jefferson compliment each other almost perfectly, at least hypothetically. But with Dalembert expiring this year, I think it's probably too big a risk, especially with Jefferson's injury history

I'd do this trade only if Cousins is gone.
I really hope that Petrie doesn't feel the same way.

I think we all agree that having a younger, cheaper Cousins is better than a potential-injury hampered, large-contract Al Jefferson.

The thing is, Minnesota is the one team who might make sure that Cousins is in fact gone. From their perspective, if they felt they could get rid of Al's contract while getting both Cousins and Johnson, wouldn't they do that in a heartbeat?

I know I would.

So I don't think there is anything to this trade speculation. If Kahn ends up selecting Cousins because he thinks he can force a trade with Petrie, Petrie should just respond by taking Wes Johnson. The Kings get the BPA, and if Kahn wants a trade it will be Cousins for Wes Johnson, not Al Jefferson for Wes Johnson.

I'd rather take Wes Johnson and play him at the 2 spot, then let Kahn back me into a corner with a trade that really helps the Wolves and doesn't do that much for the Kings.

That's how I'd play it out if I were part of the Kings FO.

Capt. Factorial

trifolium contra tempestatem subrigere certum est
Staff member
There's a rumor about a sign and trade for Chris Bosh in exchange for Al Jefferson, etc. Rumors are starting to fly!
That pretty much stretches the definition of "rumor" to the breaking point. Chris Bosh has his choice of destinations, along with the option to possibly team up with LeBron or Wade, and instead he would choose to exile himself to the T'Wolves? Ha.

I really hope that Petrie doesn't feel the same way.

I think we all agree that having a younger, cheaper Cousins is better than a potential-injury hampered, large-contract Al Jefferson.

The thing is, Minnesota is the one team who might make sure that Cousins is in fact gone. From their perspective, if they felt they could get rid of Al's contract while getting both Cousins and Johnson, wouldn't they do that in a heartbeat?

I know I would.

So I don't think there is anything to this trade speculation. If Kahn ends up selecting Cousins because he thinks he can force a trade with Petrie, Petrie should just respond by taking Wes Johnson. The Kings get the BPA, and if Kahn wants a trade it will be Cousins for Wes Johnson, not Al Jefferson for Wes Johnson.

I'd rather take Wes Johnson and play him at the 2 spot, then let Kahn back me into a corner with a trade that really helps the Wolves and doesn't do that much for the Kings.

That's how I'd play it out if I were part of the Kings FO.

You bring up a good point. Kahn can pick DMC at #4 instead of Johnson. That would leave Johnson for us to pick ( which I'm not even sure of since we haven't even worked him out!). Kahn can then propose a Johnson for Jefferson trade. (more salaries would have to be added to make this work). Minn would then come out golden with both Johnson and DMC.

Entity

Hall of Famer
yeah I am affraid Minn is thinking the same way. But only problem with that is I beleive we would take Monroe instead of trading for jefferson. Now the real question should be is would we give up Monroe for Jefferson?

Now now, David Kahn isnt smart enough to pull off a move like this. He picked 3 point guards last year. Every piece of info out there suggests that the Wolves are taking Johnson. Cousins STILL hasnt worked out for the wolves. Geoff Petrie wouldnt trade a #5 pick for Al Jefferson anyway.

I would prefer Jefferson over Cousins (assuming he's the 5th pick) because:

a) we would know exactly what we're getting in Jefferson
b) he's much better offensively than I expect Cousins to be
c) it would be a quicker improvement, we wouldn't have to wait for the rookie to develop
d) we could still look to sign some extra defensive help in free agency

Our present roster + Jefferson and 1-2 defensive role players sounds good to me.

I would prefer Jefferson over Cousins (assuming he's the 5th pick) because:

a) we would know exactly what we're getting in Jefferson
b) he's much better offensively than I expect Cousins to be
c) it would be a quicker improvement, we wouldn't have to wait for the rookie to develop
d) we could still look to sign some extra defensive help in free agency

Our present roster + Jefferson and 1-2 defensive role players sounds good to me.

Chemistry wise there is something about bringing in an "all star" vet to a team where a 2nd year player is supposed to lead the team. It's like you have worked for a company for a long time and they bring in someone new to manage, and you get transferred to his dept to work under him.

I think it would be a lot better to just draft Cousins if available, or Monroe if cousins is gone. I have a feeling that Cousins would make others around him better with his unique sense of humor. It would pump the other players up and in turn they would play better imo.

But I would be amazed if we could trade the 5th pick straight up for a guy who was traded for Kevin Garnett three years ago and is still only 25 years old. Sure he's had a few injuries since then, but he's still playing at the same level. So I think the Wolves would ask for more.

L

LWP777

One of the great positives of the Dalembert trade is that our PF no longer has to be a defensive presence on the court... a Jefferson/Dalembert duo is beastly.
I agree. I'm somewhat surprised at the number of posters here who wouldn't want this trade to go down. We would be one of the better rebounding teams in the league if we added AJ. Jefferson, Dalembert, Thompson, Evans are all great rebounders for their positions.

I think many are overestimating the value of Cousins. He might end up being a decent big man but I would take the "under" on him ever being better than Al Jefferson.

I endorse the trade.

Idk if somebody told me after this season this summer we'd be able to get a shot blocking presence in the paint(Dalembert) and would be able to get a big man who could average 20/10 easily while being the PERFECT size for his position I'd say that person was crazy.

I'm all for trading our 5th for Big Al if Cousins is gone. He's the on ly guy not named Turner or Favors I wanna see in a Kings hat draft night. I just have the sickest feeling in my gut that GP will take Monroe, and that my fellow Kings fans will gurantee another year of waiting for ping pong balls to drop. Dude is softer than charmin, has no killer instinct and will eventually develop that long range 3 like Hawes and fall in love with it.

If the trade rumor is legit( I highly doubt it is), GP should pull the trigger instantly without even thinking. Get a defemsive big man whos left at 33 and sign up one or two veteran guards for the backcourt and boom this team is INSTANTLY back to having some Arco Thunder again.

The knock on Al Jeff about his defense I really think has to do with effort, if your stuck going nowhere in Minny I'd focus ong etting my numbers up too. I say lets see what he can do on the defensive end if this team gets into a groove and starts winning some games. One thing is for sure though, if that mans knees are good there is no big man in that NBA that he can't light up on the offensive end.

I agree. I'm somewhat surprised at the number of posters here who wouldn't want this trade to go down. We would be one of the better rebounding teams in the league if we added AJ. Jefferson, Dalembert, Thompson, Evans are all great rebounders for their positions.

I think many are overestimating the value of Cousins. He might end up being a decent big man but I would take the "under" on him ever being better than Al Jefferson.

I endorse the trade.
Ditto!

Chemistry wise there is something about bringing in an "all star" vet to a team where a 2nd year player is supposed to lead the team. It's like you have worked for a company for a long time and they bring in someone new to manage, and you get transferred to his dept to work under him.

As someone who has had that management thing happen to him, I can say that in this case the effect would be minimal. In fact, that situation would probably never happen. Jefferson will not be asked to be the leader in this situation - we have a clear cut No. 1 who is more familiar with the organization and its direction, thus much more suited to be the team's leader despite only being in his second year of play. As long as the lines are drawn clearly (and immediately) there should be no problems concerning leadership, unless Jefferson still has the mentality of a high school baller, which I am unsure of.

Wow I really hate this rumor, especially since people are saying it makes sense if cousins is gone before the 5th pick. Well sorta scary that Kahn controls the 4th pick and can put the Kings in that corner.

Big Al would soak up all out cap space at 13m,14m and 15m for 3 years

And after the Delambert trade we end up losing 2 young bigs and have 26mil next year invested in out front line? and still no center next year?

Geoff needs to put this rumor to bed right away let Kahn know he is in no way interested in a trade and let him know if he takes cousins Kahn will loose out on Wes Johnson period dont give him a chance to get a 4th and a 5th.

Now now, David Kahn isnt smart enough to pull off a move like this. He picked 3 point guards last year. Every piece of info out there suggests that the Wolves are taking Johnson. Cousins STILL hasnt worked out for the wolves. Geoff Petrie wouldnt trade a #5 pick for Al Jefferson anyway.
He only kept two of them, one of which was a threat to stay overseas for a year or two. If you're going to rip on him, at least get the facts straight.