Over-reacting much???

When we dropped to 4 last year, it was 2012 among the Kings "Faithful" (I use that term loosely in times like this)......

We drop to 5 this year and the sky is falling. The team is moving to Anaheim. Vegas. Kansas City....

RELAX.

DeMarcus Cousins has been my pick for us all along, and with the Wizards taking Wall and 76ers taking Turner, Nets will take Favors at 3 (They DO NOT need Cousins...they need a legit PF like Favors to pair with Brook Lopez), and the Timberwolves won't be drafting a big man (Love and Al Jefferson in the fold)....Leaving us at 5 with Cousins and our BIGGEST NEED on the board.

Cousins will be there at 5 and be the PERFECT pick. Hawes is best suited to come off the bench, and this team needs a defensive stalwart in the middle in the worst way....He and Landry in the front-court will be AWESOME.

So relax Kings fans....We'll be just fine. Again.

Last edited:
What makes you think Minnesota won't draft Cousins and trade him? Or at least trade picks down? I don't think they would just straight up pick Wesley Johnson, but hell what do I know.

What makes you think Minnesota won't draft Cousins and trade him? Or at least trade picks down? I don't think they would just straight up pick Wesley Johnson, but hell what do I know.
Just like how OKC wasn't going to pass on Rubio...Or how the Kings weren't going to pass on Rubio...right? LOL. OKC picking Harden = Minny picking Johnson. Same kind of scenario.

I just hope (pray) that DeMarcus Cousins at #5 lands in our lap just the way Evans landed in our lap at #4 after Memphis and Okla City passed on him for what they saw as better talent.

I think major part of Kings fans depression at this point was seeing Tyreke suddenly drop his head in seeming disgust and resignation as #5 to Sacramento was called out. We just never seem to get a break of any kind from anyone in NBA officialdom - we have to claw and scratch for every crumb we get.

I'd like to thank the NBA Rookie of the Year Tyreke Evans for representing us proudly at the Draft Lottery and hopefully we still might get his friend DeMarcus Cousins somehow through some miracle or a GP manipulated hook or crook:cool:

Just like how OKC wasn't going to pass on Rubio...Or how the Kings weren't going to pass on Rubio...right? LOL. OKC picking Harden = Minny picking Johnson. Same kind of scenario.
Cousins doesn't have the buyout baggage that Rubio did, which hurt his trade value.

When we dropped to 4 last year, it was 2012 among the Kings "Faithful" (I use that term loosely in times like this)......

We drop to 5 this year and the sky is falling. The team is moving to Anaheim. Vegas. Kansas City....

RELAX.

DeMarcus Cousins has been my pick for us all along, and with the Wizards taking Wall and 76ers taking Turner, Nets will take Favors at 3 (They DO NOT need Cousins...they need a legit PF like Favors to pair with Brook Lopez), and the Timberwolves won't be drafting a big man (Love and Al Jefferson in the fold)....Leaving us at 5 with Cousins and our BIGGEST NEED on the board.

Cousins will be there at 5 and be the PERFECT pick. Hawes is best suited to come off the bench, and this team needs a defensive stalwart in the middle in the worst way....He and Landry in the front-court will be AWESOME.

I hope you are right, but i have an issue believing this will unfold. Everyone seems to be thinking the 4 teams infront of us will pick basically on need and not best player avaliable... (excluding Wall / Turner, who no matter what are going 1 & 2).

What if Favors turns out to be only 6'8" and stinks in his workouts, while DC's workouts are great, do the Nets still take him because he fits a need?

Once again i hope you're right, but i am not letting myself get overly excited that this will unfold. Instead i am hoping someone currently ranked 5+ has some great workouts, so someone like the wolves will decide to reach for them.

I think there is pretty good reason to be upset... the 1-3 pick could have really have pushed this franchise forward in the same way that Tyreke has done already. Hopefully Petrie can pull another "Tyreke Evans draft" and pick us up a real keeper at the #5. And I have faith that he can, but this rebuild would have been a whole lot easier if the odds went our way for once.

Congrats to the Wiz though. With the whole Arenas situation, Wall should be a perfect fit for them.

RELAX.

Possible, but very unlikely. I think no one will pass on BIGS like Cousins and Favors in this draft. Those two BIGS are legit BIGS projected to give a bad team a big lift as compared to the other players in this draft not named Wall and Turner.

If I were you, although there is a very slim chance of still getting Cousins/Favors I will now accept the most likely scenario that Cousins and Favors will be gone before we pick. Be realistic. Spare ourselves from hoping too much on Cousins/Favors and getting stressed and frustrated much farther. Let us hope there would be a repeat of last years scenario where a majority of fans wanted the overhyped Rubio, passed on him, and got the clearly better stud-player Evans.

RELAX.

The Nets may very well need Cousins because Lopez and Cousins means a formidable frontline that can match the likes of Bynum/Gasol in the near future. Cousins as the PF and Lopez the C.

Same thing with the Timberwolves. If they get Cousins, their frontline will be more complete. Al Jefferson can play C/PF according to need, Love can be full-time PF, and Cousins plays C.

I can imagine both teams can do a similar thing with Favors. IMO, Cousins and Favors will really be gone before #5.

Last edited:
Last year we wanted to pick in the Top 3 and ended up with #4. We all know how well this worked out.

This year we wanted to get a Top 4 pick and ended up with #5. So maybe this is a sign. :cool:

Most users ever online was 950, Today at 06:15 PM.

It says pretty much about what have happened today. It is kinda hard not to overreact and be reasonable. We still can get a good player; may be even Cousins. BUT we cannot control the situation now and it sucks.

RELAX.

Says who? You realize Love was coming off the bench for most of the season and they were starting Gomes at PF until Milicic came in then they moved Jefferson to PF and Gomes to SF and still brought Love off the bench. If Minnesota got Cousins they would keep Jefferson at PF (unless they moved him) and start Cousins at C... If they moved Jefferson they would start Love at PF and Cousins at C.

Minnesota would be stupid not to draft Cousins. Which would leave us with what the hell ever at 5th which will be the same as 6th 7th 8th 9th 10th 11th lol.

pdxKingsFan

So Ordinary That It's Truly Quite Extraordinary
Staff member
The thing is that in every draft the unexpected happens. The 4 best guys today that are locks before all the pre-draft workouts may get outshined at those workouts. All we have to do is hope that one of them falls. Even if they do all wind up being drafted 1-4 I can almost guarantee that one of them doesn't pan out for some completely unknown reason, or at least gets completely outshined by someone picked beneath him.

Plus if worse comes to worse we can always move the pick (hopefully with Noc) for a vet we like.

The thing is that in every draft the unexpected happens. The 4 best guys today that are locks before all the pre-draft workouts may get outshined at those workouts. All we have to do is hope that one of them falls. Even if they do all wind up being drafted 1-4 I can almost guarantee that one of them doesn't pan out for some completely unknown reason, or at least gets completely outshined by someone picked beneath him.

Plus if worse comes to worse we can always move the pick (hopefully with Noc) for a vet we like.
Lets hope so.. The reason I don't think it will happen is because the top 4 are SOOOOOO far ahead of the 5th player in talent, and as a prospect. It will take a lot for one of the top 4 to drop to 5th.

Anyway, I can't really get mad because I kind of expected it, but at the same time I look at who we could pick and about 9 names come up because that's how close the 5-13 players are in talent. So I can't see another team really needing our pick because there really isn't much difference. I am sure there will be a guy drafted in the top 4 that doesn't pan out (in the NBA) and someone that was drafted lower than 4th will have a great career in the NBA so let's hope that Petrie doesn't pull another Douby and finds this years Rondo instead.

Bricklayer

Don't Make Me Use The Bat
We got hit by lightning once, expecting it to happen again is...well faulty as a rule.

#5 is not a 100% death sentence, but it is still off the cliff and one of the worst results we can have. And critically like all lower draft picks, we lose control of our own destiny. If the GOAT is sitting there in this draft, we have to depend on everybody else missing him before we can take him. So yes it is a big deal. With a different combination of ping pong balls we are in control of our own fate and assume a very prominent position in this summer's machinations. Now we have to get lucky. For the second year in a row. And even if we do get lucky nobody will know it until the season starts, and hence we aren't going to get any bounce in the free agent market, national TV, or anything else. It may not be a death sentence and you work with what you have, but this absolutely hurt.

Last edited:
The Nets may very well need Cousins because Lopez and Cousins means a formidable frontline that can match the likes of Bynum/Gasol in the near future. Cousins as the PF and Lopez the C.

Same thing with the Timberwolves. If they get Cousins, their frontline will be more complete. Al Jefferson can play C/PF according to need, Love can be full-time PF, and Cousins plays C.

I can imagine both teams can do a similar thing with Favors. IMO, Cousins and Favors will really be gone before #5.
I doubt that the Nets see Cousins as the better fit. Defensively, Lopez and Cousins are both strictly C's on defense. Offensively, they both need the ball to be effective. Favors is much better off the ball. He'll be a huge boost to them defensively as well.

If the twolves take Cousins and intend to keep him, Jefferson is as good as gone at some point.

Last edited:
Okay so I know this doesn't help much but historically, there are still great players that fall to number 5. Here are the top ten number 5 draft pics:

http://findarticles.com/p/news-arti...s_20090524/10-5-nba-draft-picks/ai_n52033996/
Those drafts were filled with a lot more talent than this year.. It's a 4 deep draft right now, and we are outside looking at #5.. Kind of like the Hawes draft.. We were one coin flip away from Noah, but instead we got Softie Hawes.

If one of the top 4 happens to drop out then the drop would have to be HUGE, and at that point you ask yourself is it worth it?

We're ok

in last 10 years, 3 out of 10 ROY are 5th pick or lower. 8 out of 10 ROY have good ball handling skills. Both Cousins and Johnson have great ball handling skills. I predict that we will do well with either of them. Interesting trend is that 5 out of 5 ROY in last 5 years were tops in their class for ball handling: Evans, Rose, Durant, Brandon Roy, Chris Paul.

pdxKingsFan

Staff member
Lets hope so.. The reason I don't think it will happen is because the top 4 are SOOOOOO far ahead of the 5th player in talent, and as a prospect. It will take a lot for one of the top 4 to drop to 5th.
I agree it certainly appears that way but this is the same league where Paul Pierce dropped to 10th. The teams at the bottom are usually poorly run, you've got GMs like Khan that are unpredictable, a guy knocks it out of the park in a workout and that's all it takes.

Every draft has one or two can't miss guys that miss. And no matter how much 5-13 look alike there will probably be 2 gems in there, 2 guys who wind up career starters on terrible teams and several guys that are out of the league when their rookie deal expires. That's just how drafts work. It may be that the guy that blows up is Cousins and we dodge that bullet and he becomes someone else's problem and all the sudden we're better with Johnson at 5 than we would have been with Cousins at 3. Maybe Cousins goes to Minny and we are able to trade Noc for Jefferson, they get cap relief, we get a big that is good to go immediately and then can move the 5th pick or gamble on a guy who we don't need to step in right away. Stuff happens. If anything it forces Petrie to be creative rather than rest on his laurels. Yes I'm looking for a silver lining and am a bit peeved that this is how it had to go down, but I refuse to believe that this is the end of the world.

pdxKingsFan

Staff member
Okay so I know this doesn't help much but historically, there are still great players that fall to number 5. Here are the top ten number 5 draft pics:

http://findarticles.com/p/news-arti...s_20090524/10-5-nba-draft-picks/ai_n52033996/
The big one on here is Wade because in that draft I don't think Wade was considered a can't miss guy but Darko was. It's also worth noting that Kaman was drafted 6th that year and while he isn't anywhere near as sexy as the guys ahead of him he's exactly the sort of player we could really use and I think that some of the other bigs probably could fill a similar role with us. Not going to put butts in the seats or win games by themselves but could develop into a legit center in 2-3 years, something I am not ready to say about Hawes.

I agree it certainly appears that way but this is the same league where Paul Pierce dropped to 10th. The teams at the bottom are usually poorly run, you've got GMs like Khan that are unpredictable, a guy knocks it out of the park in a workout and that's all it takes.

Every draft has one or two can't miss guys that miss. And no matter how much 5-13 look alike there will probably be 2 gems in there, 2 guys who wind up career starters on terrible teams and several guys that are out of the league when their rookie deal expires. That's just how drafts work. It may be that the guy that blows up is Cousins and we dodge that bullet and he becomes someone else's problem and all the sudden we're better with Johnson at 5 than we would have been with Cousins at 3. Maybe Cousins goes to Minny and we are able to trade Noc for Jefferson, they get cap relief, we get a big that is good to go immediately and then can move the 5th pick or gamble on a guy who we don't need to step in right away. Stuff happens. If anything it forces Petrie to be creative rather than rest on his laurels. Yes I'm looking for a silver lining and am a bit peeved that this is how it had to go down, but I refuse to believe that this is the end of the world.

But it makes no difference if we have 5th or 10th pick this year, because the talent from the 5th pick on up is about the same. People are saying it's not a big deal yadda yadda, but the pick is almost worthless from a trading point of view, and it didn't even matter if we were the 3rd worst or the 7th worst team in the league this year because we still landed in the area of mediocre prospect land where the chances that the 5th pick blossoms are the same as the 10th, or 13th.

I take some of that back.. Where the pick might hold value is the reduced salary if we swapped 5th for 10th or 11th straight up. Petrie gets the guy he wants, and doesn't have to pay him as much, where another team gets they guy they didn't want someone else to take at 5th.

It does matter Gary, if we have the 5th pick we can pick out of the bunch of losers 5-10 first, one of those losers might be much better than others. Also just a thought, one of the 4 players can drop and we will get the first dibs, unlike golden state who doesn't have any shot at all. Really I don't think its as bad as it looks, there are still good player to be evaluated, and I am sure one of the 5-10 will become more remarkable than the others. I will be waiting eagerly till June 24th to see which player we get, there might be some surprises and I am sure excitement.:)

edit:
Petrie gets the guy he wants, and doesn't have to pay him as much, where another team gets they guy
I like the idea, but it only is usefull if you are sure you can get who you want. I don't like swapping picks to save money, it might bite you down the road. For example in 3 years we will probably be banging our heads when we find out Wesley Johnson is a star, or that Greg Monroe is a much better player.

Last edited:
Everyone who is saying this is a 4 player draft is wrong. Last year was a 1 player draft.. how did that end up playing out? The year before it was supposed to be Rose, Beasley or bust.. Who would u rather have now, Westbrook, Love, Gordon, Brooke Lopez, or Beasley? This draft is stacked by all accounts.. everyone entered this year with the new CBA looming.. Also we really dont know how this top 4 will play out.. I'm sure Johnson will impress in workouts and maybe get some looks in the top 4.. same could happen for Aminu.. how Monroe and Aldrich measure out will have a large barring on things.. Just because the experts and fan message boards come to a conclusion that a draft has a consensus amount of players before a huge drop off doesnt mean they are right.. in fact they almost never are

Spike

Subsidiary Intermediary
Staff member
My only real beef with the #5 pick is that it allows someone below us to trade up and nab a top 4 pick. If "everyone" knows the Kings need a big, then they need to move ahead of Sacramento in order to get that guy. It doesn't matter as much if we were the #4 pick, because there would still be someone of need on the board.

If anything 5th is a blessing in disguise for us, it takes the pressure off Petrie to choose between Wall or Turner had we gotten #1. I for one don't see Wall as the slam dunk other people do and I also have a hard time seeing a Reke/Wall backcourt. I however LOVE Evan Turner even with his lack of outside shooting touch right now. Now GP can pretty much fix our hole up front with one pick whether it be Aldrich, Udoh, or whoever might be left between Cousins or Favors. Then after we don't have to hear of him passing over one of those guards, to draft somebody will need to further our development.

Theres alot of time before the draft and I can pretty much gurantee there will be a player that rises up through the ranks whether it is a big guy or a small guy. We are gonna be fine Kings Fans:)

Have you watched them play.

I suspect he hasn't. While Cousins is actually a good ball handler for a big guy, it's not one of the things he's known for. And one of Johnson's weaknesses is his ballhandling. So....

As an aside, I wouldn't mind picking 5th as much if we didn't have Greene or Casspi. Johnson is a guy I like. He's old, yes, but he's a good character and has more talent/potential than people give him credit for. He can really shoot it and he's a great athlete. He can really get up - he explodes. Smart kid too. But taking him would be redundant. Still, he could be the surprise pick in years to come - the Wade in Lebrons draft.

Just unsure and uneasy now. On the bright side, Johnson might be a guy that really impresses in workouts with his smarts, shooting, athleticism and physical tools. Maybe the Wolves will fall in love with him. Wishful thinking, but stranger things have happened.

All in all, looks like we may be facing a choice of Aldrich, Udoh, Monroe, Aminu (don't want), Davis etc. I'm not normally a fan of trading down, but if you got the 12th and 25th off the Grizz for the 5th, you could take Orton/whoever plus another guy. No real reason for the Grizz to do it, but it's a thought (one that's already being discussed I know).

The Nets could might as well draft Cousins and build some sort twin tower ala Duncan-Robinson. If such will happen, there is certainty that the Wolves will pass on Favors. This is probably the better chance we can crack on.