Joe Maloof on the Scott Van Pelt Show Right Now on ESPN2

I just tuned in. He was talking about building around Reke and that no one is talking about them in free agency, that they have cap space to use.

He's still on.

They asked him who's looking good for #1 pick, Wall, Cousins, who else? Joe said that Jalen Rose jumped into Gavin at the airport and said, "Tyreke, Wall.. OOO!" Nothing significant, but something to share nonetheless.

Joe also did a chat on espn.com and sung the praises for tyreke in almost every answer he gave, but thats his job right??
from that chat:

Frank (Dallas)

Where do you feel your team needs to improve through the draft?

Joe Maloof (12:57 PM)

I think just getting the great player, no matter what the position. I think what you need to do in this day and age, you need to stockpile as much talent as you can regardless of the position. If you have the chance to get a player, that you have a star at, already, you need to take that player. Always go after the best available talent.

That seems like a pretty strong hint that he's leaning toward Wall if we were to get the first pick, dont you think? In the chat he continually calls Tyreke our star, then he busts out this response..

from that chat:

Frank (Dallas)

I think just getting the great player, no matter what the position. I think what you need to do in this day and age, you need to stockpile as much talent as you can regardless of the position. If you have the chance to get a player, that you have a star at, already, you need to take that player. Always go after the best available talent.

That seems like a pretty strong hint that he's leaning toward Wall if we were to get the first pick, dont you think? In the chat he continually calls Tyreke our star, then he busts out this response..

I think thats more of a hint that we wont draft DC over Wall if we got this #1 pick.Im just glad we're not going by need,and as Joe says drafting by talent alone!The best thing for this team is to get as much talent as possibe and draft if anything in a order of Wall,Turner,DC,Favors.
These last small steps are critical to building an elite team for the future.We got the superstar,now we only have to be smart and let the other pieces fall into place by chance and wit!

Warhawk

Give blood and save a life!
Staff member
from that chat:

Frank (Dallas)

No, I think he is just saying that you take the best available player. If the question was "who do you take with the #1 overall if you get it" and he gives this answer, then maybe. But what if they get #2 and Wall happens to still be there? Or even #3? Maybe they do like Turner better but if he goes #1 and we have #2 he's saying they wouldn't let having Evans stop them from taking Wall.

I think you might be reading a bit much into his response, but maybe not. Hopefully we get the #1 pick and what they do will answer your question definitively. :D

from that chat:

Frank (Dallas)

That would depend on his opinion of Turner, but it means they won't shy away from Wall if they think he's BPA.

rainmaker

Hall of Famer
Joe also said even if we don't get the #1, we still have alot of options with #2-#4 if we end up in that range, and he would consider packaging the pick for a big name player. So who knows right now, it's mostly speculation. After last years success in the draft, I don't think it will be hte Maloofs decision who we draft, but Petries. Why is everyone acting like Joe will be drafting for us?

Joe also said even if we don't get the #1, we still have alot of options with #2-#4 if we end up in that range, and he would consider packaging the pick for a big name player. So who knows right now, it's mostly speculation. After last years success in the draft, I don't think it will be hte Maloofs decision who we draft, but Petries. Why is everyone acting like Joe will be drafting for us?
I certainly hope so! :eek: Please let GP do his job, Joe.

Package the #1 overall for Lebron S&T. We can just absorb most of the contract.

Cleveland should jump all over it. ;)

Last edited:

Entity

Hall of Famer
Maybe they want people to think we would take Wall with the 1st pick therefore leading to better offers for the 1st pick say if a team has the 2nd pick and we don't show interest in wall and they really want him well they wouldn't need to trade up. BUT if we act as if he is our guy then maybe we get a nice offer.

bajaden

Hall of Famer
Maybe they want people to think we would take Wall with the 1st pick therefore leading to better offers for the 1st pick say if a team has the 2nd pick and we don't show interest in wall and they really want him well they wouldn't need to trade up. BUT if we act as if he is our guy then maybe we get a nice offer.
I tend to pay little or no attention to what most team officials have to say about the draft. Not sure if that applies to Joe, since the Maloof's tend to speak their minds. But I agree with your point in general. Most teams are more likely to throw up smoke screens than tell the truth.

I tend to pay little or no attention to what most team officials have to say about the draft. Not sure if that applies to Joe, since the Maloof's tend to speak their minds. But I agree with your point in general. Most teams are more likely to throw up smoke screens than tell the truth.
Exactly. We did the same thing with Rubio last season.

Heard him on NBA Today. He was really political/bland in all his answers, it really wasn't that interesting. I thought it was funny when he was defending Sac as a good city all he could think of is that the city was "nice". Unbearably hot in the summer, but "nice". He was really positive about the city but just kept on saying "nice", nothing else. lol.

He also said he hates the Lakers with all his heart but that he thinks the Suns have absolutely no chance at winning.