How Would Cousins Game Fit?

Kingster

Hall of Famer
If the Kings did draft Cousins, how would his game fit with the other players? How would he work with Tyreke? Would he diminish the space for Tyreke drives or exand it? Would he demand a double team? If so, would that mean more of game like Orlando's with a big and four 3 point shooters? How would that fit with Tyreke's game? With such a different game than Hawes, would that mean Hawes would be instantly expendable? Hard for me to see the team having a low post offense for Cousins and then switching to a high post offense for Hawes. Same thing for Thompson, really. Reynolds like his game at center, but he's a high post center. So do you see a schizo offense with low post Cousins and high post Thompson and Hawes?

Fit with Tyreke: Perfect compliment, much like Landry gives Reke a target in the paint he can go to and trust (like what he's done with Landry and even Blair in the rook game)

Fit with Spence: Their games would compliment each other. Spence with his high post offense and shooting ability would be allowed to flounder outside where he prefers to play. His passing ability in the high post would also keep a potential play maker on the floor with Reke and Cousin's and not crowd the paint.

Fit with JT: I like this fit much better, JT is a solid outside shooter when his shots on. He's also a great rebounder and willing defender. I see JT sitting just outside with his defender looking to double Cousin's which gives JT open looks with a jump shot or the ability to face up and drive (which is where he should be dangerous and start drawing fouls and getting OTHER bigs into foul trouble).

Fit with Landry: This one throws up flags, they're both primarily paint players. I would see Landry going back to the bench with Cousin's starting I'm not sure they compliment each other except both are tough defenders

So in my opinion to sum it up, Cousin's would give us that BIG post prescence that can also rebound. He would probably draw double's in the paint which might slow Reke down while driving but Reke would have the option to dump to Cousin's or kick it back out to one of our many shooters to do work.

If the Kings did draft Cousins, how would his game fit with the other players? How would he work with Tyreke? Would he diminish the space for Tyreke drives or exand it? Would he demand a double team? If so, would that mean more of game like Orlando's with a big and four 3 point shooters? How would that fit with Tyreke's game? With such a different game than Hawes, would that mean Hawes would be instantly expendable? Hard for me to see the team having a low post offense for Cousins and then switching to a high post offense for Hawes. Same thing for Thompson, really. Reynolds like his game at center, but he's a high post center. So do you see a schizo offense with low post Cousins and high post Thompson and Hawes?

All legitimate questions. The way I see it, Cousins likes to camp out in the key, and he should because thats where he does his damage. But this puts his defender in help position against Tyreke drives to the hoop.

On the other hand, Cousins will catch and finish anything, or most anything, thrown his way. This will be a nice weapon for Tyreke to utilize.

In addition, Cousins should be a solid low post threat from Day 1. Running cutters and offense through him will take attention off Tyreke to a degree, allowing him to pick his spots.

I question the versatility of Cousins. Can he play pick and roll? Can he defend the pick and roll? Can he make a 15 foot shot? How much foul trouble is going to get in against smaller and quicker guys? Will he cry at the refs worse than JT?

Ultimately, the Kings FO has to decide if he is going to create more problems for opponents than problems he has of his own. The trend of the league towards faster games and smaller bigs who can run and shoot out to 15 to 18 feet.

The heralded centers coming into the league lately have had trouble adjusting to the NBA style. Ogden and Thabeet come to mind. Having a polished low post game curtailed these guys. It makes a difference when you can smart plays in the post. Brook Lopez proves this, and I'd guess Cousins will follow.

It just occurred to me that a fair comparison of Cousins to young NBA center might be Marc Gasol. Gasol is huge (7'0, 265 #s), not an explosive athlete, but very solid fundamentals and post skills (15 PG 9 REBS on 58%). If the Kings can land an improved version of Marc Gasol, and 6 to 7 years younger at that, he'd be a welcome addition.

If we draft Cousins then we'll really want him in the post. He's an excellent offensive rebounder, and since he's such a big body, you want him doing damage against the other team while jockeying for position.

I think he'll excel in a half-court offense, but remember that Kentucky is a running team, and he handled himself very well in that sort of offense.

Once of Tyreke's critisisms is that he doesn't push the ball enough. When Tyreke does push the ball it seems he always either gets to the rim or is able to drop it off to Landry/JT at the last second.
If that is the style that Westphal tries to implement, then I think that Cousins will fare well there. Favors would fare better as I think he's more suited to a run-n-gun style of play, but Cousins has shown that he can get up and down the court.

From a half-court perspective Cousins will not be able to spread the floor anywhere as well as Hawes, JT, or Landry, as his mid-range jumpshot needs work. But he will be able to demand a double-team in the post.
He's big and strong enough that he will be able to get good post position and hold it.
And he's actually got good footwork in the post. He is the exact opposite of Hawes. Hawes has the skills but not the strength. Cousins doesn't have the array of moves, but he's got the brute strength and length, so his post moves are very effective.

So with Cousins I see the offense working in the following manner:

1.) Tyreke pushes the ball and tries to get to the rim.
2.) If Tyreke can't get to the rim then Cousins attempts to establish post position. If successful they get him the ball and he either works for a good shot opportunity or passes it out if doubled. (He actually does a very good job passing it out to open guards on the perimeter.)
3.) If Cousins can't find a scoring or passing opportunity, he passes it out to a guard. Then he moves to the perimeter to set a screen for the guard to get something going towards the basket.

I think the biggest question regarding Cousins on the offensive end will be his ability to play the pick-n-roll. Kentucky didn't really do much of that, so we'd have to wait and see if has that element to his game, or if he can add it if it's lacking.

I do think that Cousins is a better fit for this team compared to Favors. Favors will be able to play in a running style better than Cousins. But Tyreke doesn't seem to push the ball as much as he should, and in an offensive half-court set Cousins is far superior to Favors due to his size, strength, length, and power-post moves.

Favors is probably a better overall defender, but Cousins has the size to address our biggest defensive need, and that is against the other team's bigs. I think that Cousins will be able to contest and bother players like Pau, Al Jefferson, Bynum, or Lopez better than Favors. Favors will probably be able to better defend players like Amare, Dirk, David West, ect.

If the Kings did draft Cousins, how would his game fit with the other players? How would he work with Tyreke? Would he diminish the space for Tyreke drives or exand it?
I don't see why Cousins wouldn't fit in with Tyreke's game. His presense didn't hinder Wall from getting to the basket at Ky. Having a big presense in the post can really help a team spread the floor, which can open up the lane even more when Cousins gets the ball out.

Hard for me to see the team having a low post offense for Cousins and then switching to a high post offense for Hawes. Same thing for Thompson, really. Reynolds like his game at center, but he's a high post center. So do you see a schizo offense with low post Cousins and high post Thompson and Hawes?
Any team that runs a motion offense generally has BOTH a high-post and low-post offense that they run. Think back to the Kings glory days when both Webber and Vlade could do both. Being able to run your offense either way can help keep defenses off balance. Even the current Kings run their offense both ways. Although, I think JT is better in the low-post while Hawes is better in the high-post. But they can both do either (just not as well as CWebb and Vlade).

Kingster

Hall of Famer
Fit with Tyreke: Perfect compliment, much like Landry gives Reke a target in the paint he can go to and trust (like what he's done with Landry and even Blair in the rook game)

Fit with Spence: Their games would compliment each other. Spence with his high post offense and shooting ability would be allowed to flounder outside where he prefers to play. His passing ability in the high post would also keep a potential play maker on the floor with Reke and Cousin's and not crowd the paint.

Fit with JT: I like this fit much better, JT is a solid outside shooter when his shots on. He's also a great rebounder and willing defender. I see JT sitting just outside with his defender looking to double Cousin's which gives JT open looks with a jump shot or the ability to face up and drive (which is where he should be dangerous and start drawing fouls and getting OTHER bigs into foul trouble).

Fit with Landry: This one throws up flags, they're both primarily paint players. I would see Landry going back to the bench with Cousin's starting I'm not sure they compliment each other except both are tough defenders

So in my opinion to sum it up, Cousin's would give us that BIG post prescence that can also rebound. He would probably draw double's in the paint which might slow Reke down while driving but Reke would have the option to dump to Cousin's or kick it back out to one of our many shooters to do work.
I don't see Hawes and Cousins being able to play on floor together. It might work offensively, but defensively, not a chance.

Cousins definitely is not a high post player. He isn't going to be showing us nifty drop-off passes to cutters along the baseline or through the key.

He is good at passing out of a double-team to open shooters. And he'll have plenty of opportunity to do that while playing in the post.

Here's something to consider.

Greg Oden and Joel Pryzbilla are not known for their outside shot or for their abilities to spread the defense. However, Brandon Roy still has the ability to get to the rim when he wants.

Now, Tyreke does not have Roy's shooting ability, but if he works on it to the extent that we all expect, he should come into next season with a shot that will keep the defenses honest.

What Pryzbilla does do is set great screens for Roy, and I expect the same sort of thing with Cousins.

So if Cousins does not have a post opportunity, he'd move to set a high screen for Tyreke and then roll to the basket for the offensive rebound. If Cousins and Tyreke can develop any sort of pick-n-roll game, that coupled with Tyreke's driving ability, and Cousins post ability would put is in very good stead.

I like Cousins tremendously and other then Turner he'd be my next choice to help this team.

I mean this in the most polite way possible, who cares how his game fits. This team is horrible and Cousins is a rare lowpost bigman talent. If you can get your hands on him you put the kung fu grip on him and never let him leave.

Pretty much hit the nail on the head with that...

If we got Cousins, it would definitely mean that we're going to be a slow it down half court offense for the foreseeable future.
Are you sure about that? I have seen Cousins many times, and I think he runs the floor very well for a big man, if you consider his size. Maybe when he gets older he will slow down a bit, but right now I think he can run.

According to Grant, he thinks that Cousins has "too many red flags" for the Kings to draft him. Take it with little worth, but it's at least something to note. From him (at least, for now), it sounds like we're hot and heavy for Favors.

Bricklayer

Don't Make Me Use The Bat
According to Grant, he thinks that Cousins has "too many red flags" for the Kings to draft him. Take it with little worth, but it's at least something to note. From him (at least, for now), it sounds like we're hot and heavy for Favors.

Its possible -- when we released a minor nothing player like Dorsey with only a few weeks to go in the season because of "clownish" behavior and the worry it would spread, it made me wonder just how willing we would be to risk a major player coming in here with any sort of spoil the chemistry/work ethic attitude. I dunno, there is a thought there -- you can absorb questionable characters much easier with a veteran title contender the way we used to in the good ole days with all that leadership. A younger team is more fragile internally, and while I don't put any kind of absolute stock in anything Grant says, I could see us fearing one bad apple spoiling the bunch and being careful here not to mess up a good thing.

Are you sure about that? I have seen Cousins many times, and I think he runs the floor very well for a big man, if you consider his size. Maybe when he gets older he will slow down a bit, but right now I think he can run.
Yes, very sure. It's not really so much about his ability to run or not. It's about him being most effective in the low post, backing down his defender. It's not just him, but Tyreke is also much better suited for a halfcourt offense.

I think Cousins' style of play is probably a better fit for this team, but I just think it's more likely Favors reaches his potential than Cousins. I'd rather the Kings not take the chance on Cousins' red flags if they have the option to take another very good big man prospect.

Its possible -- when we released a minor nothing player like Dorsey with only a few weeks to go in the season because of "clownish" behavior and the worry it would spread, it made me wonder just how willing we would be to risk a major player coming in here with any sort of spoil the chemistry/work ethic attitude. I dunno, there is a thought there -- you can absorb questionable characters much easier with a veteran title contender the way we used to in the good ole days with all that leadership. A younger team is more fragile internally, and while I don't put any kind of absolute stock in anything Grant says, I could see us fearing one bad apple spoiling the bunch and being careful here not to mess up a good thing.
I have been thinking about this same scenario for a while as well and have come to the same conclusion. If we get the 3rd pick I think Petrie will select Favors in front of Cousins.

There are a number of reason why I think this:

1. Favors is just as talented, if not more talented than Cousins, although, not as develop at this stage
2. By all accounts he is a great kid with teriffic work ethic
3. He is a better defender than Cousins, better shot blocker and a lot better athlete
4. He currently is a better fit for the talent already on this team than Cousins (eg, you can play Favors with any of the current front court players (Landry, JT, Hawes) and he is a good fit with any of them. Cousins and Landry for example just don't appear to be a good match on paper)
5. If Favors measures favourably in the combine (eg 6'10 with a good wingspan and vertical) he jumps ahead of Cousins on just about anyone's draft board.

Favours might take longer to make an impact but this kid has a perennial all-star potential. By all accounts he is of impeccable character and a hard working, serious kid. A perfect fit with the make up of the current team.

If Favors measures out well in terms of size, you can play him at C with Landry. What Landy lacks in terms of rebounding and shot blocking, Favours would make up and what Favors currently lack on the offensive end, Landry makes up.

Favors just seems to be a lot nicer and easier fit with the current team on many levels than someone like Cousins.

Kingster

Hall of Famer
No, for an NBA big man he doesn't run the floor very well. Hawes is a race horse compared to Cousins. Leaving the endline to endline speed issue aside, having Hawes and Cousins in the lineup at the same time would be a disaster because they are quickness deprived big men.

Kingster

Hall of Famer
Cousins definitely is not a high post player. He isn't going to be showing us nifty drop-off passes to cutters along the baseline or through the key.

He is good at passing out of a double-team to open shooters. And he'll have plenty of opportunity to do that while playing in the post.

Here's something to consider.

Greg Oden and Joel Pryzbilla are not known for their outside shot or for their abilities to spread the defense. However, Brandon Roy still has the ability to get to the rim when he wants.

Now, Tyreke does not have Roy's shooting ability, but if he works on it to the extent that we all expect, he should come into next season with a shot that will keep the defenses honest.

What Pryzbilla does do is set great screens for Roy, and I expect the same sort of thing with Cousins.

So if Cousins does not have a post opportunity, he'd move to set a high screen for Tyreke and then roll to the basket for the offensive rebound. If Cousins and Tyreke can develop any sort of pick-n-roll game, that coupled with Tyreke's driving ability, and Cousins post ability would put is in very good stead.

I like Cousins tremendously and other then Turner he'd be my next choice to help this team.
I would argue the Brandon Roy point. His ability to get to the basket is definitely constrained by big men who can't shoot. It's an overstatement to say he can get to the basket "anytime he wants". If that was the case, then I guess Portland would win the NBA Championship this year and Roy would score 50+ points every game. Moreover, at this point it's an apples to oranges comparison: Roy is a good outside shooter; Tyreke isn't.

Kingster

Hall of Famer
That's interesting, because that's been my opinion for about a month now: the Kings won't draft Cousins because of red flags and maybe other things. But you don't really know until draft day, do you?

Kingster

Hall of Famer
Definitely. If he goes to a team with grizzled vets (like a Boston or SA), they can keep in line. Otherwise, it's left to the coach to keep him in line, and I'm skeptical Westphal wants that potential head ache.

Kingster

Hall of Famer
I mean this in the most polite way possible, who cares how his game fits. This team is horrible and Cousins is a rare lowpost bigman talent. If you can get your hands on him you put the kung fu grip on him and never let him leave.
Hey, work with me here. This board needs a little more zing. I'm trying to help out.:p

I would argue the Brandon Roy point. His ability to get to the basket is definitely constrained by big men who can't shoot. It's an overstatement to say he can get to the basket "anytime he wants". If that was the case, then I guess Portland would win the NBA Championship this year and Roy would score 50+ points every game. Moreover, at this point it's an apples to oranges comparison: Roy is a good outside shooter; Tyreke isn't.
Well, we say that once Tyreke gets a jumpshot he'll be unstoppable because he can bully his way to the rim whenever he wants and hit the J when the the defense packs it in. That doesn't mean that he'll hit 50 a night.

My point is that if your guard has a jumpshot, then big-men who can't spread the floor because they don't have a consistent jump-shot don't hurt your guard's chances of getting to the rim if they get involved in pick-n-roll basketball.

The big man's defender has to come out top and either show hard or switch, and either way leaves the area around the rim unprotected.

So if Tyreke can get that consistent jumpshot, and get better at pick-n-roll basketball then we don't need to worry about having that big man, even if he can't shoot the ball as well as some of our other bigs.

bajaden

Hall of Famer
I have been thinking about this same scenario for a while as well and have come to the same conclusion. If we get the 3rd pick I think Petrie will select Favors in front of Cousins.

There are a number of reason why I think this:

1. Favors is just as talented, if not more talented than Cousins, although, not as develop at this stage
2. By all accounts he is a great kid with teriffic work ethic
3. He is a better defender than Cousins, better shot blocker and a lot better athlete
4. He currently is a better fit for the talent already on this team than Cousins (eg, you can play Favors with any of the current front court players (Landry, JT, Hawes) and he is a good fit with any of them. Cousins and Landry for example just don't appear to be a good match on paper)
5. If Favors measures favourably in the combine (eg 6'10 with a good wingspan and vertical) he jumps ahead of Cousins on just about anyone's draft board.

Favours might take longer to make an impact but this kid has a perennial all-star potential. By all accounts he is of impeccable character and a hard working, serious kid. A perfect fit with the make up of the current team.

If Favors measures out well in terms of size, you can play him at C with Landry. What Landy lacks in terms of rebounding and shot blocking, Favours would make up and what Favors currently lack on the offensive end, Landry makes up.

Favors just seems to be a lot nicer and easier fit with the current team on many levels than someone like Cousins.
First off, I agree that Favors might have the best long range potential. But right now, he's just not as talented as Cousins. And, as far as shotblocking goes, Favors blocked one shot every 13.3 minutes and Cousins blocked one shot every 13.3 minutes. So they were equal at that particular part of the game. I'm not going to argue that Favors isn't a better athlete than Cousins. But doesn't mean that Cousins is a bad athlete. As far as who can play with who, thats just a bunch of nonsense in my opinion. If Cousins is a better center than Hawes, then I don't give a tinkers damm whether Hawes can co-exist on the floor with him. That would be like saying I'm going to pass on Michael Jordan because I don't think he can co-exist with John Salmons..

If you think the player is that good, you take him and work out the rest later. Personally I don't think the Kings can go wrong with either of them as far as talent goes. Cousins would give you more immediate help, but Favors may be the better player down the road. Notice I said maybe. Its not a given.

Now if you hesitate because of Cousins temperment, thats a legitimate issue. Having watched him all year, I think its overblown. Everyone wants to point to the negative articles. But there were just as many articles written about the good things that he did. The charity work that he did. I'm not going to post them. It would take too long and if your too lazy to go do your own research ( not you ) , then proceed on in ignorance.

I do know that much has written about Favors work ethic and dedication. Plus being a good kid. So that part bodes well for him. But his post game isn't as good as Cousins, and he has little outside game to speak of. And yes, Cousins does have a jumpshot. And I think he runs the floor well for a 280 pound player. He has terrific hands. He is a classic version of a lowpost center. Something I thought we all wanted. But now that maybe we'll have a chance at drafting one, suddenly he doesn't fit. Go figure..

Cousins-Favors, Favors- Cousins

All these are good arguments. Personally my preference is Cousins, but all I really care about is that we get a shot at one or the other.

First off, I agree that Favors might have the best long range potential. But right now, he's just not as talented as Cousins. And, as far as shotblocking goes, Favors blocked one shot every 13.3 minutes and Cousins blocked one shot every 13.3 minutes. So they were equal at that particular part of the game. I'm not going to argue that Favors isn't a better athlete than Cousins. But doesn't mean that Cousins is a bad athlete. As far as who can play with who, thats just a bunch of nonsense in my opinion. If Cousins is a better center than Hawes, then I don't give a tinkers damm whether Hawes can co-exist on the floor with him. That would be like saying I'm going to pass on Michael Jordan because I don't think he can co-exist with John Salmons..

If you think the player is that good, you take him and work out the rest later. Personally I don't think the Kings can go wrong with either of them as far as talent goes. Cousins would give you more immediate help, but Favors may be the better player down the road. Notice I said maybe. Its not a given.

Now if you hesitate because of Cousins temperment, thats a legitimate issue. Having watched him all year, I think its overblown. Everyone wants to point to the negative articles. But there were just as many articles written about the good things that he did. The charity work that he did. I'm not going to post them. It would take too long and if your too lazy to go do your own research ( not you ) , then proceed on in ignorance.

I do know that much has written about Favors work ethic and dedication. Plus being a good kid. So that part bodes well for him. But his post game isn't as good as Cousins, and he has little outside game to speak of. And yes, Cousins does have a jumpshot. And I think he runs the floor well for a 280 pound player. He has terrific hands. He is a classic version of a lowpost center. Something I thought we all wanted. But now that maybe we'll have a chance at drafting one, suddenly he doesn't fit. Go figure..
Reading these forums its quite obvious that you are a Cousins lover and like to downplay every negative that has been said about him. Remember that Ron Artest also had positive and he also did a lot of charity work but he was still a cancer that we had to get rid off.

I also like how of all our front court player you singled out Hawes but convininetly ignored our best front court player in Landry who on paper is a terrible fit with Cousins. The team has given up a lot to get Landry. They have been talking him up as the low post presence that they can build around. Their talk ever since getting him is that they plan on building around Tyreke and Landry. Do you just throw Landry under the bus for a talented kid with red flags everywhere. You can try to downplay these as much as you like but the fact is that they are there. They have been visable all year long, its the talk among NBA executies and even college scene. Are they too much to handle, none of us know. You certainly don't and I certainly don't.

What I do know is that Petrie is very good with dotting his i's and crossing his t's and coming up with the right conclusion. If we were ready to cut Dorsey before the season finished because of his attitude, then that tells me that we are trying to build a culture for our team that consists of seriousness, hard work and talent. Now if you don't fit all 3 of those, chances are you won't be picked.

Cousins does have red flags because they are out there. They are a talking point in the NBA. Now you can downplay them all you like but doesn't make them any less concering.

And please enough of these stats and how each one of them has blocked a shot per every 13.3 minutes. Its college ball. How will that tranaslate to the NBA? You cannot tell me that Favors is not a quicker jumper with a better timing. This kid is younger and is definetly not as polished as Cousins but on his athletic ability alone, and his reported work ethic, he has more potential for improvement and being a better player down the road than Cousins.

Draft is a risk, nothing is a sure thing in draft. I see a lot of similarities between Okafor/Howard scenarios compared to Cousins/Favors. If you want immediate impact and a player who will be good for the duration of his career you pick Cousins. However, if you want an all-star potential big, who has a chance of busting, then you go with Favors.

You seem to be defending anything slightly discouraging that gets posted about Cousins without haveng any real idea whether or not the red flags are a significant distraction or not. They are obviously out there and no matter how hard you try to downplay them, they are not going to go away.

lol all of this talk of Cousins being a head case IS OVERBLOWN. The way this board goes after Cousins reminds me a little of a tacky smear campaign run by politicians. Unless there is concrete proof that this guy is a head case there is NO WAY you pass on a guy as talented as Cousins. If you think a guy like Wall or Turner would be a better pick because theyre more talented then thats legitimate. I think any mention to the FO of Cousins having questionable character will fall on deaf ears.

Alot of this Criticism being made about Cousins fitting with the team can also be made about Favors. Id be absolutely thrilled if we pick Cousins. Ill be really happy if we pick Favors.

bajaden

Hall of Famer
Reading these forums its quite obvious that you are a Cousins lover and like to downplay every negative that has been said about him. Remember that Ron Artest also had positive and he also did a lot of charity work but he was still a cancer that we had to get rid off.

I also like how of all our front court player you singled out Hawes but convininetly ignored our best front court player in Landry who on paper is a terrible fit with Cousins. The team has given up a lot to get Landry. They have been talking him up as the low post presence that they can build around. Their talk ever since getting him is that they plan on building around Tyreke and Landry. Do you just throw Landry under the bus for a talented kid with red flags everywhere. You can try to downplay these as much as you like but the fact is that they are there. They have been visable all year long, its the talk among NBA executies and even college scene. Are they too much to handle, none of us know. You certainly don't and I certainly don't.

What I do know is that Petrie is very good with dotting his i's and crossing his t's and coming up with the right conclusion. If we were ready to cut Dorsey before the season finished because of his attitude, then that tells me that we are trying to build a culture for our team that consists of seriousness, hard work and talent. Now if you don't fit all 3 of those, chances are you won't be picked.

Cousins does have red flags because they are out there. They are a talking point in the NBA. Now you can downplay them all you like but doesn't make them any less concering.

And please enough of these stats and how each one of them has blocked a shot per every 13.3 minutes. Its college ball. How will that tranaslate to the NBA? You cannot tell me that Favors is not a quicker jumper with a better timing. This kid is younger and is definetly not as polished as Cousins but on his athletic ability alone, and his reported work ethic, he has more potential for improvement and being a better player down the road than Cousins.

Draft is a risk, nothing is a sure thing in draft. I see a lot of similarities between Okafor/Howard scenarios compared to Cousins/Favors. If you want immediate impact and a player who will be good for the duration of his career you pick Cousins. However, if you want an all-star potential big, who has a chance of busting, then you go with Favors.

You seem to be defending anything slightly discouraging that gets posted about Cousins without haveng any real idea whether or not the red flags are a significant distraction or not. They are obviously out there and no matter how hard you try to downplay them, they are not going to go away.
First off, I don't love anyone but my wife and my kids and a few select friends. OK! I've got no dog in this hunt. I just try to tell it like I see it. I watched Kentucky play over 20 games this year, and yes, I saw some incidents. I'm not denying that. I stated that its a genuine issue. I also stated that I personally, based on what I saw, think its overblown. Not being perfect, I could be wrong. But I think its fair to point out that the kid did some good things as well as some bad things. Or are you just suspossed to notice the bad things. Is it that your just a negative person and thats all you look for? Sorry, thats not me. I try to be fair. Especially with 18 and 19 year old kids. And yes, Cousins is one year older than Favors. I suspose that he should be head and shoulders ahead of him in talent then. They're both freshman!!!!

The reason I brought up Hawes, was because he was the one being brought up by Kingster. So I responded to that. I wasn't intentionally trying to pick out someone that fit what I wanted. I believe I've said that Favors probably has the best long range potential. And that Cousins will be of more help in the short term, and in my opinion the long term as well. However, Favors may end up being the better player. Now I think thats a fair assessment. And its a seperate issue from whether he'll end up being another Rasheed Wallace or not. Not having a crystal ball, I can't tell you he won't. My gut tells me from watching him, that he'll mature his way out of his it. But yes, once again, its definitely an issue that needs to be taken into consideration.

But here's what irritates me. I spend my time watching Kentucky and Cousins and company play 23 time this year. And then I have people telling that I don't know what the hell I'm talking about, and I didn't see what I saw. If I use a stat that shows that Cousins and Favors blocked shots at the same rate, I'm not suspossed to bring it up, because everyone knows that Favors is more explosive and a quicker leaper. Well sorry, I don't know that. I watched Favors play at least 15 times this year, and for half the year he didn't really impress me that much. I attribute a lot of that to his trying his best to play within the system. Unfortunately they didn't really have a system at G. Tech. And finally I saw a couple of games where he started to assert himself and tried to take over. Thats when I became convinced that he was the real deal. I didn't think Cousins really played well until around his fifth game of the year. And thats when he started to impress me.

So I'm not sure what it is that you want me to do. When I see someone post that he's runs the floor poorly for a big man, and I know thats nonsense being posted by someone that just doesn't like him for some reason, am I suspossed to just let it go by? And If I speak up with what I know to be the truth, is that called loving him and always defending him?

If someone were to post that he ran the floor like a deer and was a terrific outside shooter, I guarantee that I would be one of the first to post that it was nonsense. Because its not the truth. And just so you know. I'll be happy with either one of them. We'll be lucky to have either one of them. And by the way, if Grant says he has too many red flags, that means we'll draft him, because Grant is usually on the wrong side of everything. He's the kiss of death.