2009-10 Kings draft position thread

We are past due for a move up!
Our problem with 1->4 was that, when you're #1, you can't move up, only down. And we did.

When you're #4 or #5, moving up is pretty easy. About 1/3 chance of becoming top 3.

When you're #8, you can be pretty sure you're staying #8. 10% chance of a top 3 pick, 72.4% chance of staying #8, 17.6% chance of dropping to #9 or #10. (Moving up to #4-#7 is impossible due to the way the NBA's structured the lottery.)

So if we move below #6, I wouldn't get my hopes up about making it back in the lottery.

Last edited:

Kingster

Hall of Famer
Eh, we survived the fall in the lotto from 1 to 4. If we fall from 5th to 7th or 8th record-wise, we'll be fine... Who knows, maybe on lotto day we move up this year?
We had Web (#4) represent us last year. The Kings need to get Archibald (#1) representing them this year.

Code:
[FONT=Courier New]8. LA Clippers    27-52    .342    L 7   
6. Philadelphia   26-53    .329    L 6
6. Detroit        26-53    .329    W 3
4. Sacramento     25-54    .316    W 1   
4. Washington     25-54    .316    W 1   
3. Golden State   24-54    .308    W 1   
2. Minnesota      15-64    .190    L 4
1. New Jersey     11-67    .141    L 2   
[/FONT]

I'm more stressed about if we get another win and dropping than I am warriors tie us... so I'd like to see the teams above us get some more wins... Clips, 76ers and Pistons need to give us some breathing room.... then if Wash and GS tie or not I'll take our luck.

gunks

Hall of Famer
This is a pretty intense race of suckitude.

We could come out of this with Cousins or Favors, instead of Aldrich or Udoh.

I shouldnt get my hopes up though. Havent we dropped in every lotto?

This is a pretty intense race of suckitude.

We could come out of this with Cousins or Favors, instead of Aldrich or Udoh.

I shouldnt get my hopes up though. Havent we dropped in every lotto?
Just lately, we haven't won any coin flips or advanced in the lottery. But I don't recall that as being an inviolate rule back in the '80s-'90s. This is nice... competitors wosing games over teams like Boston, which I never would have predicted and don't have to feel stupid for being wrong about. :p Teams to cheer for tonight: DET (@CHA), WAS (v ATL), PHI (@MEM), GSW (@LAC)

Last edited:
Just lately, we haven't won any coin flips or advanced in the lottery. But I don't recall that as being an inviolate rule back in the '80s-'90s. This is nice... competitors wosing games over teams like Boston, which I never would have predicted and don't have to feel stupid for being wrong about. :p Teams to cheer for tonight: DET (@CHA), WAS (v ATL), PHI (@MEM), GSW (@LAC)
blatche has been playing like a man on a mission.

go GSW!!! my predictions is curry is gonna go 35, 10, 8 tonight.

Capt. Factorial

trifolium contra tempestatem subrigere certum est
Staff member
Just lately, we haven't won any coin flips or advanced in the lottery. But I don't recall that as being an inviolate rule back in the '80s-'90s.
I did a quick run-through of our draft history since the Kings have been in Sacramento. There have been four fundamentally different lottery systems in that time.

Envelope System, Equal Odds, 7 draws for 7 slots (1985-1986):
1985: Kings get #6 out of 7

Envelope System, Equal Odds, 3 draws for top slots, then by record (1987-1989)
1987: Lottery position #5, Draft position #6 (no hit, dropped 1)
1988: Lottery position #4, Draft position #3 (hit, pick had been traded)
1989: Lottery position #5, Draft position #1 (hit, Pervis)

Ball System, Not Heavily Weighted, 3 draws for top slots then by record (1990-1993)
1990: Lottery position #5, Draft position #7 (no hit, dropped 2)
1991: Lottery position #3, Draft position #3 (hit)
1992: Lottery position #6, Draft position #7 (no hit, dropped 1)
1993: Lottery position #4, Draft position #7 (no hit, dropped 3)

Ball system, Heavily Weighted, 3 draws for top slots then by record (1994-current)
1994: Lottery position #8, Draft position #8 (no hit, no drop)
1995: Lottery position #13, Draft position #13 (no hit, no drop)
1997: Lottery position #11, Draft position #11 (no hit, no drop)
1998: Lottery position #7, Draft position #7 (no hit, no drop)
2007: Lottery position #10 (tied 8-10, lost coin flip), Draft position #10 (no hit, no drop except for coin flip)
2008: Lottery position #12, Draft position #12 (no hit, no drop)
2009: Lottery position #1, Draft position #4 (no hit, dropped 3)

As you can see, we did reasonably well in the envelope system, though not great. Once the ball system started we have not had good luck. In our 11 lotteries, we have only hit once, and that was to "remain" at the #3 slot. On the other hand, we haven't dropped much, either - a total of 8 slots in 11 years.

I don't see DAL in there!

Warriors just won enough games so Nelson could get his record...now they don't care again lol

He probably threatened to coach next year if they didn't get him the record lol

Damn, damn and damn, is it just me or are we really just the only team in the league who has no concept of tanking? We should not have won that game against Houston right afterthe trade! Please ping pong balls, help us out just once, I won't ask you again for a very very long time I promise

Bricklayer

Don't Make Me Use The Bat
Damn, damn and damn, is it just me or are we really just the only team in the league who has no concept of tanking? We should not have won that game against Houston right afterthe trade! Please ping pong balls, help us out just once, I won't ask you again for a very very long time I promise
Er, that's a long way back to be looking for this sort of thing. Just so happens our kids are actually better than most of our remaining vets, so the normal means of "tanking" -- ie. just start developing your kids -- is denied you. You develop your kids, your chances of winning go up.

We've lost 9 of 10 anyway -- we are still trying out there, but that's still an intimidating streak from us for any tanking team to have to contend with.

Last edited:
Code:
[FONT=Courier New]8. LA Clippers    28-52    .342    W 1   
7. Philadelphia   27-53    .338    W 1
6. Detroit        26-54    .325    L 1
4. Sacramento     25-55    .313    L 1   
4. Washington     25-55    .313    L 1   
3. Golden State   24-55    .304    L 1   
2. Minnesota      15-64    .190    L 4
1. New Jersey     12-68    .150    L 1   [/FONT]
Remains games of interest:
Kings:
Mon 12 vs Houston
Tue 13 @ LA Lakers

Washington:
Mon 12 @ New York
Wed 14 vs Indiana

Golden State:
Sun 11 vs Oklahoma City
Tue 13 vs Utah
Wed 14 @ Portland

Detroit:
Mon 12 vs Toronto
Wed 14 @ Minnesota

Might be tough to improve our position...

I wouldn't be too bummed if we got the 5th pick, but it would be nice to get the 4th so we could choose between Cousins or Favors, depending on who Washington (or whoever is 3rd) picks.