2009-10 Kings draft position thread

do you guys think if our pick was somehow top 2 we could trade it to minny for al jefferson?

Flynn Turner and Love would be a nice start for them
Minny would take that in a heart beat, but if we get a top 2 pick, we certainly will not be trading it for Al Jefferson...especially now that we have Landry.

Udoh isnt just a help defense shot blocker. He doesnt seem to have a problem blocking the shot of taller heavier players in the low block. I like!

I must say, if the Kings arent able to select Cousins or Favors then I really hope they select Udoh. Hes got a great nose for the ball.
Problem is, he is expected to go around 10-14. Do we trade down as it seems likely that we will be picking 6-7? (or 1-3 in my dreams :D). I wish there was a way to trade for Utahs first round pick so we could get Turner and Udoh!

Per usage in the personnel forums over the last 2 years:

lin = loss that helps the team
woss = win that hurts the team

mnemonic: lin starts off like a loss, but ends like a win. And woss, vice-versa.

the way i remember it is

"loss that's really a win" [L...in]
"win that's really a loss" [W...oss]

kinda sad that this has become such a common parlance on these forums

bajaden

Hall of Famer
Problem is, he is expected to go around 10-14. Do we trade down as it seems likely that we will be picking 6-7? (or 1-3 in my dreams :D). I wish there was a way to trade for Utahs first round pick so we could get Turner and Udoh!
First off, you have to remember that where they're placed on the draft boards is based on what? The personal feelings of whomever is in charge of that particular board. Seldom do they take team needs into consideration. Where each board gets their info is the question. Personally I think Draftexpress is the best one. They have their own scouting dept as well as close associations with some of the team scouts.

But where team scouts are involved you have to take that info with a grain of salt. For instance, if you really liked, say Damion James of Texas and right now he's somewhere between 14 and 22 on most boards. Lets say your picking 11th. I doubt that your going to start raving about how good James is, or try and draw any attention to him.

Its possible that Udoh will move up a couple of notches once the college season is over and the team workouts start. Now having said all that. If we end up picking 5th or 6th, or we get real lucky and end up top three, then Udoh is a reach. But if we were to be unlucky and end up 8th or 9th, then no, I don't think he a reach. But I agree, I would like to have another 1st round pick. His final line today was, 18 points, 10 rebounds, 6 assists, 1 turnover, and 5 blocked shots.

I'm not sure Udoh is a reach at 6. After the top guys like Wall, Turner, Cousins, Favours, Johnson, Aldrich... It's somewhat of a toss up. I'd put Udoh high on my list if we were picking at 6. Defensive bigs with offensive talent and smarts are hard to get a hold of. I'm sure some team will take a chance on him inside the top 10. It all depends on team needs etc.. I certainly don't think he'll last until 14-18 although alot can change.

It's very early to predict things about the draft. Too early.

Agreed, I thought this was a five player draft for a long time but im feeling a lot better about the sixth spot which is where we are now. Udoh has looked fantastic in the tourney and in the big 12 tourney. I think he'll push to move into the top ten.

bajaden

Hall of Famer
I'm not sure Udoh is a reach at 6. After the top guys like Wall, Turner, Cousins, Favours, Johnson, Aldrich... It's somewhat of a toss up. I'd put Udoh high on my list if we were picking at 6. Defensive bigs with offensive talent and smarts are hard to get a hold of. I'm sure some team will take a chance on him inside the top 10. It all depends on team needs etc.. I certainly don't think he'll last until 14-18 although alot can change.

It's very early to predict things about the draft. Too early.
Well, I agree with you about not being a reach at 6. I just didn't want to argue with anyone over it. Its all subjective, and based on personal knowledge. The guy that saw the one bad game doesn't give a tinkers damm that I've watch him play 14 times this year.

Kingster

Hall of Famer
First off, you have to remember that where they're placed on the draft boards is based on what? The personal feelings of whomever is in charge of that particular board. Seldom do they take team needs into consideration. Where each board gets their info is the question. Personally I think Draftexpress is the best one. They have their own scouting dept as well as close associations with some of the team scouts.

But where team scouts are involved you have to take that info with a grain of salt. For instance, if you really liked, say Damion James of Texas and right now he's somewhere between 14 and 22 on most boards. Lets say your picking 11th. I doubt that your going to start raving about how good James is, or try and draw any attention to him.

Its possible that Udoh will move up a couple of notches once the college season is over and the team workouts start. Now having said all that. If we end up picking 5th or 6th, or we get real lucky and end up top three, then Udoh is a reach. But if we were to be unlucky and end up 8th or 9th, then no, I don't think he a reach. But I agree, I would like to have another 1st round pick. His final line today was, 18 points, 10 rebounds, 6 assists, 1 turnover, and 5 blocked shots.
What's your definition of "reach"? Is it when you pick a player that you don't think is as good as as other players on the table, or when you pick a player that you perceive other GMs think isn't as good as the players remaining on the table?

Kingster

Hall of Famer
Well, I agree with you about not being a reach at 6. I just didn't want to argue with anyone over it. Its all subjective, and based on personal knowledge. The guy that saw the one bad game doesn't give a tinkers damm that I've watch him play 14 times this year.
Don't you think that after the top two, Wall and Turner, that it's wide wide open who goes where? If you want, you throw Cousins in there as the undisputed three (I wouldn't). Then after three you probably have multitude of guys that are relatively equal in abilities. True? Not true? You've probably watched about 10x the number of games I have this year, but that's the sense I have....

Clips are determined to stay in the running for a top pick, or maybe they are just really, really that bad. Only Lebrons dreams of being a movie star could land him in LA with that pitiful team

Last edited:
Terrible teams and an impressive Ekpe!

Vlade we are screwed... I have looked at the games for the next 2 weeks and we just are not going to be able to get that 5 spot from the Pisstons. We would have to intentionally lose every game for the rest of the season... And even then it would still be close. I think we need to pray for GSW to perform a miracle, because Detroit and Washington could honestly lose evey game... Yes I said it, they are that bad.

Hey Baja, watched my first Baylor game today, and was not dissapointed by our boy Ekpe. Good hands, very quick off the dribble, I am trying to remember if he was one of the players you said could potentially pack on some more weight because their frame could support it. Was he one of those guys you mentioned, sorry to ask but I just don't want to go back 20 pages to find it! Udoh could spare a little speed for more strength IMO, it would be a pretty good tradeoff.

Last edited:
I am hoping that as well, I just know we can score 5th if we work hard and play Casspi until his head pops up like a rock em sock em robot. Maybe we could have Noc start for the rest of the season and promise him a trade if he reaches a certain FG attempt quota! Hey a guy can dream, so the lottery is in May? Anyone know the exact date?

If we're not careful, we could win our way into a 3-4 way tie for 6th spot or worse!:eek:
Time for PW try a different lineup and start May at the 2. ;)

Reminder: Westphal gets a huge pay bonus if he reaches 25 wins. So he wants #25 really bad. Maybe after that he will experiment with Hawes at PG?

bajaden

Hall of Famer
Don't you think that after the top two, Wall and Turner, that it's wide wide open who goes where? If you want, you throw Cousins in there as the undisputed three (I wouldn't). Then after three you probably have multitude of guys that are relatively equal in abilities. True? Not true? You've probably watched about 10x the number of games I have this year, but that's the sense I have....
Well let me respond to both posts since they both pertain to the same subject. To my mind, a reach is someone elses opinion of a pick. Which is saying the same thing that your saying, when you asked if a reach is picking a player that other GM's might not think is good enough quality at that spot. If you pick a player, then hopefully you think he's the best player you can pick. All things being equal.

So if your picking number 8 lets say, and the player you really like is projected to go at number 14, I don't think its a reach to go and take that player. Others might, but its not their team, and I doubt your going to ask their opinion.

Well let me respond to both posts since they both pertain to the same subject. To my mind, a reach is someone elses opinion of a pick. Which is saying the same thing that your saying, when you asked if a reach is picking a player that other GM's might not think is good enough quality at that spot. If you pick a player, then hopefully you think he's the best player you can pick. All things being equal.

So if your picking number 8 lets say, and the player you really like is projected to go at number 14, I don't think its a reach to go and take that player. Others might, but its not their team, and I doubt your going to ask their opinion.
It depends if you can get anything by trading down and still nab that player.

Vlade we are screwed... I have looked at the games for the next 2 weeks and we just are not going to be able to get that 5 spot from the Pisstons. We would have to intentionally lose every game for the rest of the season... And even then it would still be close. I think we need to pray for GSW to perform a miracle, because Detroit and Washington could honestly lose evey game... Yes I said it, they are that bad.
Im not sure, Detroit has 4 poss wins with NY,Wash,Minn,Clips

Kings have two bad teams Ind and Minn and both road games
Final homestand looks brutal for us and then to LA?

We are only 1 game from Detroit

Plus we are only 3 games from Warriors and Wash

I say lets go for the number 3 slot Woohoo!!!!!

Yeah yeah I know Im dreaming

Hmmmm so are there tie breaker rules for draft position?
or does Stern just flip a coin?

Go Kings!! We need Lins!!!!

Two teams will split ping-pong balls with coin-flipping to decide who gets the odd ball, if available, and relative positions in case neither team moves up. Whoever lost will get higher second-roud pick.

Tonight's got little going on which can impact the lottery race, so good time for an update. To emphasize how brutal the competition's becoming, I've added a little extra data.

1. NJN 10-64 .135 --> second worst team in NBA history
2. MIN 14-60 .189 --> lost 16 in a row
3. GSW 21-52 .288 --> 4-11 this month, with a road game in Utah to finish it off
4. WAS 21-51 .292 --> lost 15 in a row
5. DET 23-50 .315 --> lost 8 in a row
6. SAC 24-50 .324
7. PHI 26-47 .356 --> 4-11 this month, games upcoming: OKC, @CHA
8. NYK 26-46 .361 --> Since about the 7th, haven't totally sucked. :eek:
9. IND 27-47 .365 --> Playing better after starting the month with a 1-6 run
10. LAC 27-46 .370 --> 3 of their last 4 games were blowout losses, including to Sac and GSW. Fear them!
11. NO 34-40 .459 --> notice the enormous gap after LAC. It's clear who is in the race and who is not.

Kingster

Hall of Famer
Im not sure, Detroit has 4 poss wins with NY,Wash,Minn,Clips

Kings have two bad teams Ind and Minn and both road games
Final homestand looks brutal for us and then to LA?

We are only 1 game from Detroit

Plus we are only 3 games from Warriors and Wash

I say lets go for the number 3 slot Woohoo!!!!!

Yeah yeah I know Im dreaming

Go Kings!! We need Lins!!!!
Kings really need to suck it up and lin against Minn and Indy. Tyreke should be a little out of shape now. He might be a little tired in the 4th.

Tonight's got little going on which can impact the lottery race, so good time for an update. To emphasize how brutal the competition's becoming, I've added a little extra data.

1. NJN 10-64 .135 --> second worst team in NBA history
2. MIN 14-60 .189 --> lost 16 in a row
3. GSW 21-52 .288 --> 4-11 this month, with a road game in Utah to finish it off
4. WAS 21-51 .292 --> lost 15 in a row
5. DET 23-50 .315 --> lost 8 in a row
6. SAC 24-50 .324
7. PHI 26-47 .356 --> 4-11 this month, games upcoming: OKC, @CHA
8. NYK 26-46 .361 --> Since about the 7th, haven't totally sucked. :eek:
9. IND 27-47 .365 --> Playing better after starting the month with a 1-6 run
10. LAC 27-46 .370 --> 3 of their last 4 games were blowout losses, including to Sac and GSW. Fear them!
11. NO 34-40 .459 --> notice the enormous gap after LAC. It's clear who is in the race and who is not.
Man, two more wins we are tied for 7th with NY and Philly. That's not looking good.

Looking at it like this.. No way we can get 5th pick.. Detroit is obviously tanking and GSW and Washington is too far way to reach for us.

Next two games gonna be a big one for us.. If we lose both we are safe for 6th
If we win at least one game, than we got things to worry..
If we win both... man.. I don't wanna see that happen..