Worried about Casspi

S

sactownfan

should we actually sit him out the rest of the year?.. i think he should play at least the last home game... but seriously should we just rest him the rest of the games??? hes looking really really tired....

its been a pretty big bummer that one of the big reasons i was so excited about this team this year.... has officially been ran into the ground...

i dont remember seeing a player nose dive quite like Casspi has... he didn't just hit a wall, he hit a wall then another wall and another....

its weird to see him getting so badly burned on defense, and out hustled... hes not really banging into people and being as scrappy either... his offense is pretty much gone...

its just crazy... hes got nothing left...

whats worrying me is that he plans to play for his national team this offseason, and this nose dive we're seeing right now will repeat itself again next year if this dude doesn't get a chance to bulk up and rest...

just saying

I agree
we got some stupid *** haters in Israel that are so angry about him not going to our mediocre national team this year. IMO he doesn't have to go there at all, the respect and promotion Israel will get with an NBA solid player is way better than some wins for the national team... but not everyone understands it, and Casspi probably feels the pressure and can't say no, since the age of 13 he's playing for the National team so he probably thinks that if he won't play for Israel people will be pissed when he'll come back, but I guess a lot of countries treat players like that.

Casspi went down hill fast after all the praised I've given him. I think he's more mentally tired than physically tired. But whatever the case, he has to find ways to be ready for next season.

L

LWP777

I don't buy the "tired" theory. He's a professional athlete for God's sake. Man up and do your job. I fear he is more of a mental midget than even Spencer. He's not even worthy of even an NDBL roster spot right now. 90% of his shots are pure garbage -- forced flips in a crowded lane or hurried runners that put cracks in the glass. A lot of those shots it appears that he's not even looking at the rim. The other 10% are good shots but, unfortunately, he's missing wide open 3's and layups now.

I really don't know what to think. This is more than a rookie "wall." I hope he proves me wrong next year. I think he'll play better but I don't think he will ever be more than a decent backup in this league.

Last edited by a moderator:
Casspi looks preety tired, but you have to remember till this year, he played MAXIMUM 50 games a year, everygame was only 40 minutes.
from next year Casspi will be way better at this point, im sure about that.
by the way,
Casspi gonna play 8 games this summer at the Eurobasket qualifation, from the 2nd August to the 8th september. Israel national team had a realy bad tournament last year when Casspi wasnt playing, so everybody in here want him to play... and he already said he will

Casspi looks preety tired, but you have to remember till this year, he played MAXIMUM 50 games a year, everygame was only 40 minutes.
from next year Casspi will be way better at this point, im sure about that.
by the way,
Casspi gonna play 8 games this summer at the Eurobasket qualifation, from the 2nd August to the 8th september. Israel national team had a realy bad tournament last year when Casspi wasnt playing, so everybody in here want him to play... and he already said he will
That's still more games than players out of college play. He has an excuse for being tired, but for someone who showed so much heart early on he seems less useful than the ghost of Michael Finley at the moment. While frustrating, I can live with his missed open 3s and stuff like that. What I can't stand is how he's turning into a black hole on offense nowadays - the moment he gets the ball he'll drive inside and throw up a lousy floater that doesn't ever go in, or take a hard fade a way. The worst part is that his dribbling really isn't very good, half the time he turns the ball over on his drives. If he would just settle down, put in his effort at the defensive end and then just try to make the open shots that his team mates create for him instead of forcing that junk he calls shots I think he can still do a decent job while tired.

I really don't know what to think. This is more than a rookie "wall." I hope he proves me wrong next year. I think he'll play better but I don't think he will ever be more than a decent backup in this league.
Hahah christ Omri will be fine, I think saying he won't be anything more than a decent backup is a reallll stretch. I think he will be fine next year once he gets used to the grind of the NBA, the rookie wall is a fact these guys while athletes have to get used to the grind of the league. Omri is no different.

Hahah christ Omri will be fine, I think saying he won't be anything more than a decent backup is a reallll stretch. I think he will be fine next year once he gets used to the grind of the NBA, the rookie wall is a fact these guys while athletes have to get used to the grind of the league. Omri is no different.
Funny choice of words. ;)

You just can't compare him to the usual NBA rookie. Omri has had so much more to deal with than a normal rookie. Adjusting to the NBA game; adjusting to a new city, country and culture; getting used to such a long season with so many games; countless hours of off-court time spent with Israeli fans, Jewish American fans and Israeli media; carrying the burden of a country's pride every waking minute. No wonder he's exhausted.

Also, after he came over to get an early start on getting ready, he said they did not have the kind of training or training equipment that pro athletes here have access to.

He's tired and I think he's lost some confidence. I wish he wasn't going to play for his national team this summer, but I'm sure Omri feels an enormous weight of national expectations.

Hopefully he gets plenty of rest and can fit in some training here in the States. I think he'll be alright.

he is not playing good in those last games
but playing in the national team is not a hard job ,
in my opinion he should rest but if he plays in the summer its only 8 games..

I don't buy the "tired" theory. He's a professional athlete for God's sake. Man up and do your job. I fear he is more of a mental midget than even Spencer. He's not even worthy of even an NDBL roster spot right now....
is that your professional assessment, doctor?

VF21

Super Moderator Emeritus
SME
I don't buy the "tired" theory. He's a professional athlete for God's sake. Man up and do your job. I fear he is more of a mental midget than even Spencer. He's not even worthy of even an NDBL roster spot right now. 90% of his shots are pure garbage -- forced flips in a crowded lane or hurried runners that put cracks in the glass. A lot of those shots it appears like he's not even looking at the rim. The other 10% are good shots but, unfortunately, he's missing wide open 3's and layups now.

You know, this kind of rhetoric has gotten really old.

NONE of you could possibly imagine the pressure this young man has been under this season. He has the weight of not only a lot of Kings fans but pretty much an entire country on his shoulders.

Cut him a break. I agree that he's tired. To resort to calling him names or referring to him - or any other Kings player for that matter - is just uncalled for.

If i can barge-in, like someone wrote here, he looks more mentally tired than physically tired, and it look like his confidence is at the floor right now.
In my opinion, playing for the national team is exactly the cure for that problem, he'll get plenty of playing time as a key player in a major tournament, it should give his confidence a little push no?

I agree we got some stupid *** haters in Israel that are so angry about him not going to our mediocre national team this year. IMO he doesn't have to go there at all, the respect and promotion Israel will get with an NBA solid player is way better than some wins for the national team...
I'm sorry Reem, but i think you are in minority with that opinion, how do you want any national team to not be "mediocre" without the best players in it?

VF21

Super Moderator Emeritus
SME
NOTE: To our Israeli members who might want to discuss in-depth Omri's participation with the National team. Please keep in mind this is a KINGS board. We have experience with the passion of some European fans in regards to their national team and, to be perfectly honest, we do not want to be caught in the middle.

Thanks...

Casspi is a rookie and is not used to losing 50+ games in a season; or playing the long NBA season without consistent minutes. He will learn from this season and make next season better. I have no doubt; Casspi is a guy that is always looking to improve and never backs down from challenges... Give him an offseason and he will shine next year.

L

LWP777

You know, this kind of rhetoric has gotten really old.

NONE of you could possibly imagine the pressure this young man has been under this season. He has the weight of not only a lot of Kings fans but pretty much an entire country on his shoulders.

Cut him a break. I agree that he's tired. To resort to calling him names or referring to him - or any other Kings player for that matter - is just uncalled for.
Excuses, excuses, excuses -- it's what makes the world go around, right? These are professional athletes who are pampered beyond anybody's belief. They fly in private jets, stay at the finest hotels, and get treatment from some of the best trainers and doctors in the world. Can he be tired and exhausted? Sure he can be. We all feel that at times but it still doesn't explain his poor shot selection and mental mistakes. IMO, he's being extremely selfish right now with his game because he's hurting his team while trying to find his game. He's desperate to put points on the board and please his fans (like last night). The fact that he even scored on that uncontested layup at the end of the game proves that. Most players wouldn't have done that because they would have been disgusted with how badly the team played.

Look, I'm not trying to call the guy names or get on him for no reason. I just don't like players who are mentally weak. Physical mistakes I can accept but not mental ones. Let me ask you something. How often do you see Tyreke or Landry make mental mistakes? Rarely. Sure they miss shots and turn the ball over once in a while but most of those are within the flow of the game. They aren't trying to do things they aren't capable of. They aren't trying to impress their fans while hurting their team.

Why do you think PW told Casspi to not dress a couple of weeks ago? When is the last time you've ever seen a coach tell a player to take the night off when he wasn't injured or being disciplined? Seriously, that blew my mind. It's because PW knows that he is hurting the team and pressing way too much.

I want to see this kid succeed just as much as anybody. I hope he comes out next year and plays like a stud. Prove me wrong Casspi.

I don't buy the "tired" theory. He's a professional athlete for God's sake. Man up and do your job. I fear he is more of a mental midget than even Spencer. He's not even worthy of even an NDBL roster spot right now. 90% of his shots are pure garbage -- forced flips in a crowded lane or hurried runners that put cracks in the glass. A lot of those shots it appears that he's not even looking at the rim. The other 10% are good shots but, unfortunately, he's missing wide open 3's and layups now.

I kind of agree with your assessment. Actually, I see Casspi's early successes as nothing more than pure luck ( his shots were going in ), but never as a result of having good basketball skills. Currently, I think he just ran out of luck. He actually looks awkward eversince and plays like those regular high school kids. I see him as a player with inferior talent, but gives lots of effort in his game. And because he gives his best effort in every game, he became one of my favorites. But you are right, sometimes Casspi is trying too much beyond his capability. Basing on his talent, I also think the best he would be is a decent back-up in the NBA. But we could be wrong because Casspi is still very young and in his first year in the NBA and he seems to be a hardworker.

bajaden

Hall of Famer
The kid is tired. Thats not an excuse, its a fact. Both mentally and physically. Does he sometimes make foolish mistakes of late. Sure he does. He's probably trying too hard. Trying not only to please his coach, but all of his fans as well. Now you can be critical of that if you want to be. You can throw all understanding out the window and just try and make it a black and white issue. Because I'm sure your a perfect person in your own life and never make mistakes. I'm sure you go to work every day of your life and just do a stellar job. They've probably got your picture on the bulletin board as an example of what perfection looks like. Right!

The truth is, that he raised all of our expectations by playing extremely well from the get go. We wern't the only ones that thought so. The rest of the league agreed. Then he just ran out of gas. Have you ever ran out of gas in a game. Any game. You choose. And you still tried to keep doing what you were doing before. Your now just a wee bit late on everything. Your reflex action just slows down. Your legs feel tired. Your shoulders hurt. You start making mistakes because your timing is off. Your confidence starts to take a hit. You start to doubt yourself. You start thinking about your shot instead of just shooting it. And you start to look like Casspi.

One other thing. The NBA is an ever evolving enity. What works at the beginning will be take away from you. Just ask Tyreke how much harder it is for him to get to the basket now, than it was at the beginning of the season. Ditto Casspi. Once the league see's what your game is, they try and take it away from you. So what you have now is a tired Casspi trying to do the things he did at the beginning of the season against teams that are defending those things better now.

The rookie wall isn't just a player running out of gas. Its about players running out of gas and not having anything else to go to, when the league takes away what they've been doing. So the results are exaggerated. Thats why the offseason is important. It gives the player time to rest and heal, and also develop his game to counter what the league has been doing. Personally I wish he wouldn't play for his national team. I understand why he feels the need to. I just hope he has a two week vacation on a sunny beach somewhere added to his schedule.

Last edited:
Throw him out there and let him get ground into the dirt. He's been a professional for a long time, he has been handling it (attitude wise) pretty well. In my experience, getting tossed into the pool is the best way to learn how to swim. He can take a break in ten games.

I mean seriously, can he be that tired? Yao Ming entered the league and played more mins right away and had been on China's national team since he was 16. Yao played in ever single tournament for team China at that point and he didn't even hit a rookie wall as bad as Casspi.

Whats really going on I wonder??

rainmaker

Hall of Famer
So let me get this straight. Omri was picked #23, and took everyone by surprise with how quickly he could contribute. He played well in nov, very well as a starter in dec, continued solid play through most of jan, and started to slide leading up to allstar weekend. He seemed to crash or hit the wall right after the allstar break, and has played very poorly since then, for about the last 6-8 weeks.

If you look at his season as a whole, he has contributed much more than most players picked around him in the 20's. On top of that, he has the pressure of being the first Israeli player ever to play in the nba, and often has numerous interview and media requests when on the road. The pressure he's facing is not comparable to an american player coming out of college. On top of that, he's only 21, and adjusting to a new culture.

As recent as the 2nd half of jan, most here thought he was our future sf. Now, only 2 months later, we have fans who have decided he can be a decent backup at best, for the rest of his career. Nevermind looking at the history of the nba, the history of rookies, and the history of foreign rookies in this league, they jump to their own conclusions and attempt to forecast entire nba careers while throwing logic out the window completely. Dirk, both Gasol brothers, Tony Parker, Hedo, Bargnani, Bogut, Peja, and others, all stuggled immensely at times as rookies, and none resembled as rookies the players they developed into down the road.

It's also funny how some choose to ignore the fact that Omri is making the transition from Euro basketball to NBA basketball. Or the fact he played more as a pf and closer to the basket in Israel, while he is learning how to becomes a fulltime wing in the nba. I am not at all surprised at the struggles he's going through.

There is also the history of some kings fans saying this about numerous players in the past. I long time ago I heard the same things about Peja and Hedo. At that time no one thought Tony Parker would make it in the nba either, and that was only a year or two after Dirk getting hammered by the local media as an nba rookie. Then it was Kevin with us. Not many thought he would become a quality nba starter, or even approach that level. Recently, over the past year, JT, Spencer, Beno, and Donte have all been criticized for not being nba quality players. This summer I read on this forum numerous times that Donte simply wouldn't make it in the nba. Funny how things change.

I really question if some on here have ever watched an nba rookie develop over his first 3 seasons. Watched the ups and downs The rollercoaster ride most young players go through. This is normal for most rookie's, and most rookie's don't have all the national pressure and media attention Omri recieves from Israel. This is all about youth, transition to the nba, adapting to another culture, gaining experience, and really going through a full nba season for the first time. Omri will learn from this and be a better player because of it. He will know how to pace himself, and deal with the media attention much more effectively next season, and the following.

Will Omri be an allstar down the road, or one of the top sf's in the game? Who knows. Judging by what Dirk, Parker, Peja, and Hedo did as rookies, no one thought they would ever sniff an allstar game. To attempt to forecast a rookie's career is one of the most arrogant and ignorant things a fan can do. Just based off the improvemnt Donte has shown from last season to this, I have to wonder if some of there fans are blind, and only see what they want. Donte went from an NBDL player late last season, to the player who some want to see as our future sf, and arguably has more star potential than anyone on this team not named Tyreke. Apparently that is completely lost on some.

Sorry for the rant. Probably wasted my time given we will go through the same thing next year with whoever we end up drafting in June.

Last edited:
I mean seriously, can he be that tired? Yao Ming entered the league and played more mins right away and had been on China's national team since he was 16. Yao played in ever single tournament for team China at that point and he didn't even hit a rookie wall as bad as Casspi.

And maybe that's exactly why Yao can't keep his body healthy. Human beings can be ground down.

Have I ever been so tired that I made more mental mistakes or couldn't force my body to do something physically that I could normally do just fine? You bet. Many times. Tiredness, exhaustion, fatigue...excuses? No valid reasons for underperforming mentally and physically.

Apparently some of you are androids. No excuses, ever. Not only no excuses, no valid reasons for ever making a mental mistake or having a physical failing. Must be nice....or somebody else's fault. ;)

Last edited:

pdxKingsFan

So Ordinary That It's Truly Quite Extraordinary
Staff member
This happens and is expected with almost all rookies, why Casspi is getting such harsh criticism is beyond me. There was plenty of talk about how Tyreke wouldn't be able to sustain his numbers all season, the fact that he has is what makes him such a special player out of the gate. Casspi was a late 1st round pick who exploded out of the gate. I'm willing to cut him some slack here.

Bad example as Yao is injury prone because of all the ball he's played on his frame.

It's really wild how every player on this team at one point or another falls right in the cross fire of hate. I find it hard to believe that suddenly Omri isn't a talented NBA level basketball player. I really can't wait for this season to end so these guys can recharge and work on their games, it also seems the end of the season will do alot of us fans some good as well. When your mentally and physically fatigued you make stupid errors and mistakes, YES Omri is forcing it at some times but that doesn't take away from the effort he has put forward throughout the season which I feel has not changed one bit.

bajaden

Hall of Famer
I've said it before. We live in an instant gratification society. Buy it, but if it doesn't work the way we want just throw it away. Or throw it away and get the newest latest version. Unfortunately it gets applied to players as well. If they stumble or have failings, just get rid of them and get a newer model. Just lace them up tighter. Go out there an be a man. No excuses you weanie..... What a bunch of macho crap from people I could probably beat in a ping pong game right after they hit the wall.

Players are human beings, not robots. Let me try jerking you out of your homeland and moving you 6000 miles or more from your home and into a different society in a strange town and see if it doesn't affect you. See if you don't get lonely and depressed at times. Your completely out of your comfort zone. Its not easy. Yeah, I know, he's getting paid big bucks to do it. Well if big bucks cured everything you wouldn't have rich people committing suicide would you? You wouldn't have wealthy people overdosing on drugs while trying to block out reality.

Casspi will be just fine. This isn't rocket science. There is no deeper mystery. No underlying secrets. He just needs a little time away from the court to clear his head and rest his body. Next year he'll know better how to pace himself. He has a lot to learn, but he has the talent. It just takes time. Yeah, I know. Some of you just don't have the time to wait. I suspect that you have more time than I do.

S

sactownfan

And maybe that's exactly why Yao can't keep his body healthy. Human beings can be ground down.

Have I ever been so tired that I made more mental mistakes or couldn't force my body to do something physically that I could normally do just fine? You bet. Many times. Tiredness, axhaustion, fatigue...excuses? No valid reasons for underperforming mentally and physically.

Apparently some of you are androids. No excuses, ever. Not only no excuses, no valid reasons for ever making a mental mistake or having a physical failing. Must be nice....or somebody else's fault. ;)
absolutely agree... Yao has been a wreck physically and you can see the millage taking its toll... same with Ginobili... hes worn down all the time too

L

LWP777

The kid is tired. Thats not an excuse, its a fact. Both mentally and physically. Does he sometimes make foolish mistakes of late. Sure he does. He's probably trying too hard. Trying not only to please his coach, but all of his fans as well. Now you can be critical of that if you want to be. You can throw all understanding out the window and just try and make it a black and white issue. Because I'm sure your a perfect person in your own life and never make mistakes. I'm sure you go to work every day of your life and just do a stellar job. They've probably got your picture on the bulletin board as an example of what perfection looks like. Right!

The truth is, that he raised all of our expectations by playing extremely well from the get go. We wern't the only ones that thought so. The rest of the league agreed. Then he just ran out of gas. Have you ever ran out of gas in a game. Any game. You choose. And you still tried to keep doing what you were doing before. Your now just a wee bit late on everything. Your reflex action just slows down. Your legs feel tired. Your shoulders hurt. You start making mistakes because your timing is off. Your confidence starts to take a hit. You start to doubt yourself. You start thinking about your shot instead of just shooting it. And you start to look like Casspi.

One other thing. The NBA is an ever evolving enity. What works at the beginning will be take away from you. Just ask Tyreke how much harder it is for him to get to the basket now, than it was at the beginning of the season. Ditto Casspi. Once the league see's what your game is, they try and take it away from you. So what you have now is a tired Casspi trying to do the things he did at the beginning of the season against teams that are defending those things better now.

The rookie wall isn't just a player running out of gas. Its about players running out of gas and not having anything else to go to, when the league takes away what they've been doing. So the results are exaggerated. Thats why the offseason is important. It gives the player time to rest and heal, and also develop his game to counter what the league has been doing. Personally I wish he wouldn't play for his national team. I understand why he feels the need to. I just hope he has a two week vacation on a sunny beach somewhere added to his schedule.
Once again, excuses, excuses. It's funny how every time somebody is critical of a Kings player you come up with a million excuses for that player and then bash the poster for being critical. These are highly trained athletes that are paid millions of dollars. This isn't 4th grade basketball where we praise all the kids for "trying their best." Omri has made tons of mental mistakes the past month or more. It's getting old. It got so old to PW that he told him to take the night off when he was perfectly healthy. He could have just not played him but he actually told him to take the night off. That's unheard of in the NBA.

I will give credit where credit is due. For example, Beno has played tremendously as of late and he's been solid all season. I have a lot of respect for him in the way he's turned things around after having an abysmal season last year. He's earning his checks now. Hawes is another player that I've been critical of in the past but I'm starting to see signs of life from him. Maybe he's finally getting it. If and when Casspi ever "gets" it I will praise him as well but, for now, I will call it how it is.

Excuse or reason? There is a difference. There are valid reasons for things to go right or to go wrong. People's rational thinking is gone if they can't accept valid reasons for why things happened. Generally, I think of an excuse as a lie, cover up or invalid reason. Like, "My dog ate my homework, when its not true." Unless, od course, the dog really did eat my homework and I have the remaining slobbering-wet bits to show you. One's an excuse, one's a reason.

Or, "I'm having trouble focusing on work and keep making mistakes, because my mom died last week, my car broke down last night and I couldn't sleep, because I can't afford to get my car fixed?" Excuse or valid reason for not performing well, even though you're trying your highly trained best?

Have you never watched a highly trained, prepared marathoner hit the wall and be unable to force their body to go any further physically, regardless of willpower, desire or determination? Or a fighter that can't physically get up off the mat after a knock down even though they're concious?

Like I said, if you have never been that tired or exhausted, regardless of your training, experience, physical condition or whatever, then lucky you. Being a highly trained professional athlete does not turn you into an invicible human.

Last edited:
Once again, excuses, excuses. It's funny how every time somebody is critical of a Kings player you come up with a million excuses for that player and then bash the poster for being critical. These are highly trained athletes that are paid millions of dollars. This isn't 4th grade basketball where we praise all the kids for "trying their best." Omri has made tons of mental mistakes the past month or more. It's getting old. It got so old to PW that he told him to take the night off when he was perfectly healthy. He could have just not played him but he actually told him to take the night off. That's unheard of in the NBA.

I will give credit where credit is due. For example, Beno has played tremendously as of late and he's been solid all season. I have a lot of respect for him in the way he's turned things around after having an abysmal season last year. He's earning his checks now. Hawes is another player that I've been critical of in the past but I'm starting to see signs of life from him. Maybe he's finally getting it. If and when Casspi ever "gets" it I will praise him as well but, for now, I will call it how it is.
Lets leave all the mental pressure
in euro your team plays 1 a week
and sometimes 2 games but only like 20 weeks in a year
casspi is young so he played about 15 minutes a game ( once a week)
he has never been trained to play more then 2 games a week
he is now in the nba with about 3-4 games a week and he plays ( not in the past few weeks) about 25 minutes a game
this change is massive if you take tyreke that from high school he was marked as a nba player and prepared for it physically

about the talent dont worry
i remember reading about him from high school years as the best young israeli player and leading the israeli young basketball team to the finals ....
again playing maybe 1 game a week
those are more facts then excuses because the nba league and the israeli league are diffrent

While we're calling everything excuses, why doesn't that wussy Evans play? Concussion, broken teeth, bruising, swelling, gashed gums. Phllbbbtt! Excuses, excuses. ;)

So basically you give two examples of players, two "professional athletes" as you strongly emphasizing, that had hard times in the past, but yet you find it hard to understand why Casspi is having a bad period as well?

Players got good times, and they got bad times, live with it, if you want to see drones playing then put an exhibition game in your playstaion and let the computer play against himself.