Kevin martin traded to rockets

Status
Not open for further replies.
theres a reason why the rockets passed on the knicks trade. jeffries contract is crap, they wanted their pick to be protected ( and as someone mentioned earlier if they land 2 allstars, it might be late first rounders) and hill doesnt look promising (to me not the knicks). so theres a chance we end up trading a giante expiring for a crappy contract, a potential bust, and 1 or 2 late first rounders. but thats the glass half empty. hopefully we can swing a better deal than what the rockets considered trash

In my mind the worst case scenario is that we keep McGrady. And even that situation could turn out well provided that Geoff doesn't overspend on a FA. And if we keep our payroll down we could facilitate trades next year.

The middling scenario would be to make the trade with NY. As you mentioned, it's a bit of a risk regarding NY's picks, and it's the picks in my opinion which would ultimately bear out whether it was a good trade. The Ron Artest trade was a massive success as we got both Donte and Casspi out of it.
But NY might not land any superstars. And if they don't, then you know any picks from there will turn out to be good.

And being the optimist, the best scenario would be to have a team other than the Knicks offer the Kings a better package. You'd imagine that all the teams which initially contacted the Rockets in regards to McGrady's contract will now be contacting the Kings to see if they can offer an attractive package. Geoff is going to be very, very busy and if we're lucky he'll put together a trade to continue to improve this team.
If GP goes with NY's picks, it'll be a long time until we find out if the trade was a success or not. I'd rather GP not deal with NY and find a deal elsewhere or just let the contract expire and try his luck in free agency when the season ends.

Wow... just wow... So we get a "big" that cannot board to save his life unless it's a putback offensively. I don't really like Landry's game much.. I don't think he fits here. He can play D, but ehhh... I am tired of undersized big men.

Dorsey is a nice pickup.. I do like him.. He's a Memphis guy.. He's tough as nails too.

We didn't get enough for Martin though.. And I don't really want anyone on the Knicks team..

Petrie blows chunks.
You were going to complain no matter what. You complained about the draft last summer...so consider me a happy camper now, even though i already was. ;)

+1

if we keep the expiring, what allstar is going to want to come to sacramento, if we trade him to the knicks, im hoping for more than hill, a pick and jeffries. i personally didnt want hill anywhere near us during the draft. but if we can somehow get david lee, the pick, and not have to take on a terrible contract...:D
Because the Knick's 1st this year belongs to Utah, it will be the picks which make or break any TMac trade to the Knicks.

With that said, I don't want to see David Lee on the Kings. He was trying to get his payday in the last offseason, but since he couldn't get it he took a one-year 7million contract. He'll be looking for a large long-term contract next year, and I don't want to see the Kings lock him up for what he's going to be asking for.
I'd rather take my chances on Hill, as if he doesn't work out, at least he won't be costing an arm and a leg.

You were going to complain no matter what. You complained about the draft last summer...so consider me a happy camper now, even though i already was. ;)

Yah I was pissed for about a month after the draft.. We had not drafted the guy I wanted PLUS we didn't get Blair and now one of the pieces we got in place of him is just filler.. GRRR.. Not a huge deal..

I am going to get over this trade faster than I did the draft.. Martin is my favorite King.. Or was my favorite King =/..

This whole scenario played out exactly how I predicted it though on draft day when I was so upset.. Just pisses me off the day has finally arrived..

The whole McGrady thing is just bleh.. I don't think he will even suit up, and I have a feeling he's going to NY tomorrow. I hope and PRAY that we do not take Hill.. The guy is a bust.. Watched him diligently in college because I love to "scout" top prospects. He didn't really do anything that made me think he would be anything more than a roleplayer.. A Mikki Moore type player, and I am not just saying that because of the hair..

Now if NY threw in Gallinari.. WOW.. That would totally do it for me. I would take on a bad contract to get him.. Seen a bunch of him this year because of League Pass and the guy is flat out a scorer.. Think Peja, and Think of Casspi as a Hedo/Manu mix. That would be a great 1-2 punch.. Only problem is I think Greene would be out of here if we did this.

Last edited:

bajaden

Hall of Famer
Because the Knick's 1st this year belongs to Utah, it will be the picks which make or break any TMac trade to the Knicks.

With that said, I don't want to see David Lee on the Kings. He was trying to get his payday in the last offseason, but since he couldn't get it he took a one-year 7million contract. He'll be looking for a large long-term contract next year, and I don't want to see the Kings lock him up for what he's going to be asking for.
I'd rather take my chances on Hill, as if he doesn't work out, at least he won't be costing an arm and a leg.
Hill has the potential to be a pretty good player. He also has something Lee doesn't have. Size! Of course lee has experience. Hill is a good athlete with decent skills. However, I would say he's a couple of years away from reaching that potential. But then the Kings have time on their side. He would be worth the gamble.

Just though about something ironic.

Petrie trades Webber for more movable pieces. Five years later he trades moveable pieces for a broken down player with micro fracture and a big contract.

I think we just came full circle.

I am waiting to see what the team does with NY. I have had interest in Hill. I've bitched that the Kings were linked to Murphy when Hill was dangled out there. Landry + Dorsey + Hill is a sudden logjam though, and I'd like to see Dorsey with more playing time. He is the athletic, defensive rep guy the team covets. Landry can be a post scorer(who needs to work on double teams), but combined they represent what the team was looking for. Hill also represents that if he develops. Having all three is a bit of a mess, but it would just be for one year. If we have to move one guy to NY to make the rosters balance, I'd rather it be Brock than Dorsey, even though everyone, including me, loves Brock.

Although I've been lurking around for more than a few years and have watched this team progress, this was no surprise to me... even after the whole celebration for Kevin downtown. After Kevin Martin signed that deal and seeing how the Kings are totally rebuilding their team down to the prices of the ticket sales the Maloof's are trying to lighten to load on the salaries. Can't say that I'm insanely happy with the trade, but I also can't say that I'm disappointed. I could care less about T-Mac, but Landry looks like a promising character.

The Rockets and Kings seem to have become best trading partners. This should work out well for both teams, the Rockets are one of the worst 3-point shooting teams in the league and Adelman will make good use of Martin. Obviously there's still some uncertainty about what we're getting, but a combination of toughness, youth and cap space sounds pretty good to me.

I can't say I'm too excited for what we're getting for Martin, I was hoping for him being able to nab more of a core piece, either through a draft pick, or an Okafor/Jefferson type. However, if that's not near Martin's actual value (he is seen as very injury prone around the league) then we could do worse, especially if we can get some nice pieces out of NY. I just hope this deal wasn't made just to get rid of Martin before the deadline, that would be very foolish reasoning.

did you guys hear the interview with Tyreke?? they asked him what he thought of the trade....he said...ahh...I don't know....I dont care...I have never lost by 30. WOW

Tyreke was blaming the loss on trade distractions. I think he's more angered by the turmoil and pathetic play than who is coming to the team. Which, honestly, is kind of the attitude you want.

But for Tyreke's sake, this puts the pressure on him. If the team keeps sucking after the trades, then the blame suddenly shifts straight to him.

did you guys hear the interview with Tyreke?? they asked him what he thought of the trade....he said...ahh...I don't know....I dont care...I have never lost by 30. WOW
I'm cool with that, hell...I'd be frustrated too if I'd just lost by 30 to small ball Nellie with a team that won 4 less games than me. He's just frustrated...I think he'll be happy to see Mandry when he gets here. Welcome to being the 'franchise' officially now that Kevin is gone Reke!

I'm cool with that, hell...I'd be frustrated too if I'd just lost by 30 to small ball Nellie with a team that won 4 less games than me. He's just frustrated...I think he'll be happy to see Mandry when he gets here. Welcome to being the 'franchise' officially now that Kevin is gone Reke!

right, I happy with that too, I'm glad his mad. Greene, Hawes, JT, Casspi all should be pissed. Westphal should show them tape of Kmart laughing, even though he knew he was traded...still weak to be laughing when you were down 30.

Just though about something ironic.

Petrie trades Webber for more movable pieces. Five years later he trades moveable pieces for a broken down player with micro fracture and a big contract.

I think we just came full circle.
Make that an EXPIRING player that had microfracture surgery...*poof*T-Mac be gone!:D. And we got WAY tougher in this deal too!

Yea I heard it. It was obvious that the only thing on his mind was the *** kicking he just received. The whole trade business wasn't on his mind at all, just was pissed off for losing so bad and didn't feel like an interview. He kept repeating himself saying "I don't know, I don't know" and the reporter was just fishing for something and couldn't get it. I would be surprised if he even remembers what he said.

VF21

Super Moderator Emeritus
SME
right, I happy with that too, I'm glad his mad. Greene, Hawes, JT, Casspi all should be pissed. Westphal should show them tape of Kmart laughing, even though he knew he was traded...still weak to be laughing when you were down 30.
He's gone so you can quit kicking him.

He was kept out of the second half of the game because he was being traded. He finally had a resolution to the sword that had been hanging over his head for weeks. So he was laughing? Who freaking cares? It was no longer his problem.

Weak to be laughing? What should he have been doing?

The whole game is nothing more than a loss, regardless of how lopsided the score. Making it anything more is just silly, especially considering the circumstances. They should be looking to the next game - and figuring out what went so horribly wrong in the second quarter and not worrying about what Martin might or might not have been doing, thinking, feeling, etc.

He's gone so you can quit kicking him.

He was kept out of the second half of the game because he was being traded. He finally had a resolution to the sword that had been hanging over his head for weeks. So he was laughing? Who freaking cares? It was no longer his problem.

Weak to be laughing? What should he have been doing?

The whole game is nothing more than a loss, regardless of how lopsided the score. Making it anything more is just silly, especially considering the circumstances. They should be looking to the next game - and figuring out what went so horribly wrong in the second quarter and not worrying about what Martin might or might not have been doing, thinking, feeling, etc.
He has been my favorite player since webb, I am not kicking him. I am glad he will be back with Adelmen and in the playoffs. just was a little bit upset he was laughing. he could have kept it to himself. I know hes a good kid.

OMFG... I've been s******g on McGrady for the past few weeks to all my friends. I used to like him, even contemplated trading for him this year. But I like our young team and don't want his old, broke down, emo, bi-polar butt here. Getting Landry is nice, but he's not the answer.

Hope the NY deal goes through with us taking on as little junk as possible. I don't want to see McGrady bought out by us.

Wonder if what happened in the Celtics game sealed it for Geoff.

I love the fact that Reke completely blew off Martin and just spoke about the loss. He just wants to win. It was clear they didn't mesh well on the court, I guess that might've spilled over to off the court as well.

yeah, I'm sure he was pissed because Kings got embarrassed with the loss. I like this kids fire.

Bricklayer

Don't Make Me Use The Bat
I love the fact that Reke completely blew off Martin and just spoke about the loss. He just wants to win. It was clear they didn't mesh well on the court, I guess that might've spilled over to off the court as well.

Don't know if it was that so much as what is he going to say? He's a rook, first time he's been through this with a presumed long term teammate no longer being a teammate and new guys coming in. He's barely played against Landry and probably barely knows him. Reke is just so advanced for his age that you go to him for reaction as our team leader, but he's still just 20 years old and I don't know that he has real organized planks regarding stuff going on above his pay grade (actually in the NBA everything is beneath a guy like Reke's pay grade, but still).

As an aside, Dorsey is a fellow former Memphis Tiger under Callipari, so they have that to talk about.

Status
Not open for further replies.