What is Napear's Problem with Kevin Martin?

bajaden

Hall of Famer
professionalism is a modern term for disingenuous which is another term for bull**** artist

I love people who praise professionalism. It's a giant red flag that lets you know the person is lying to you.
So if someone calls another person a true professional, then he's really saying that he's a Bull**** artist and a liar. We live in different worlds dude.

So if someone calls another person a true professional, then he's really saying that he's a Bull**** artist and a liar. We live in different worlds dude.
I was wondering where this "Cult of Professionalism" came from.

Sounds like some trendy way to put down the "over 30" crowd. Something left over from the '60s.

bajaden

Hall of Famer
Professionalism is holding up a pretend facade in public while being something else inside. It's surface and shallow. So, yes, professionalism is fake. That is part of the whole cult of professionalism.
If this is what you truely believe, then I feel sorry for you. I have to wonder what happened to you to make you think this way. I could understand if you might think that the way Grant performs isn't professional. Your certainly entitled to your opinion. But to call people that are considered professionals, bull**** artists and liars is beyone me.

Whatever, have a nice day.

If this is what you truely believe, then I feel sorry for you. I have to wonder what happened to you to make you think this way. I could understand if you might think that the way Grant performs isn't professional. Your certainly entitled to your opinion. But to call people that are considered professionals, bull**** artists and liars is beyone me.

Co-sign. I consider myself very professional and it means something to me, especially in a world of increasingly less professional people. IMHO, to say its fake or bu** is like saying that being courteous and thoughtful is fake and bu**.

Picking one's nose is "real," but not generally something one does in public. Not doing it in a business metting would be a minimum requirement for being "professional." ;)

bajaden

Hall of Famer
You are right, it is a matter of opinion. I guess I just assumed you joking when you said you prefered Grant to G-Man.
I happen to like them both. I've also met the G-Man, and there's not a nicer man on earth. And so were clear here. I consider him to be a true professional. Opp's, I think I just called him a Bull**** artist and a liar. These double meanings are throwing me for a loop. Damm!

Professionalism isn't about being a fake, its about conducting yourself in a manner that facilitates results. Something's gone wrong and needs to be fixed, and instead of being a dick, doing inappropriate stuff, or whatever, someone utilizing a professional approach will identify the path to the best solution and do what it takes to get there. Sometimes this involves simple communication of issues, or confrontation, or reporting to superiors, or a presentation of facts, to other methods. Very rarely does it involve denegrating another party or causing intentional harm.

Another facet of professionalism is being focused on the results you've been hired to achieve, and to maintain that level of success, sometimes you ignore things that aren't important to what your professional goals are. The ability to identify whether an activity will impact your professional goals or not allows you to decide what affects you.

just my thoughts.

Professionalism isn't about being a fake, its about conducting yourself in a manner that facilitates results. Something's gone wrong and needs to be fixed, and instead of being a dick, doing inappropriate stuff, or whatever, someone utilizing a professional approach will identify the path to the best solution and do what it takes to get there. Sometimes this involves simple communication of issues, or confrontation, or reporting to superiors, or a presentation of facts, to other methods. Very rarely does it involve denegrating another party or causing intentional harm.

Another facet of professionalism is being focused on the results you've been hired to achieve, and to maintain that level of success, sometimes you ignore things that aren't important to what your professional goals are. The ability to identify whether an activity will impact your professional goals or not allows you to decide what affects you.

just my thoughts.
Thank you. I thought the world had gone all wonky there.

Anybody listen to his show today around 3:30?..
He had a bunch of callers call in and pretty much praise him as the God of radio. Just about the lamest thing I've ever heard. One lady sounded like his wife or something. It was truly pathetic.

bajaden

Hall of Famer
You didn't. I used my poetic license.

Wanna see it? It's in my wallet.

Seriously, it's just not cool to put down people who work for you and make them feel stupid or small. However he does it.
Well my friend wasn't a fan of Grant's thats for sure. I don't think he ever said that Grant degraded him or personally put him down. It was just that Grant was very demanding about everything being perfect, and couldn't understand why they couldn't do their job properly. Especially when he was on the air.

I would like to see that license though..:D

He had a bunch of callers call in and pretty much praise him as the God of radio. Just about the lamest thing I've ever heard. One lady sounded like his wife or something. It was truly pathetic.
Give examples. That's not the vibe I got while listening for 10 minutes.

Grant made a good point that in large markets Donovan McNabb, who has made several pro bowls, has been booed off the field by his own fans in Philly. That kind of criticism is part of professional sports, and in general it doesn't go down to that degree in Sacramento.

bajaden

Hall of Famer

Hey man, he paid me 10 bucks to call in. Don't be calling me lame. I made money. Thats almost two six packs... Another 10 bucks for my wife. Not a bad day in mexico...:rolleyes:

Mark Kreidler disagrred with Grant on that, in a very diplomatic way. Mark is a very diplomatic guy. Its fun to listen to him sometimes, when you know he'd like to say, "you're an idiot!" :p
One thing you can say about Grant is that he is opinionated. He rarely changes his opinion and he does have unique incite on the Kings seeing that he travels with them and has more inside info than any other reporter. I dont take everything that Grant says about the team as factual because some is opinion, but I do pay attention to his thoughts about the team, the overall attitude of the team and how the individual players are doing mentally and physically because he is there observing day to day. If Grant says that Martin is mentally weak, it probably is a culmination of many different aspects of Martins game, his off court demeanor, and his attitude toward the coaching staff and other players. Things happen behind the scenes that we are not privy to. I tend to agree with Grant that Kevin isn't what you would call a hard nosed veteran ball player. It seems his game is adversely effected by things not basketball related. Stuff like who he plays with, how he interacts with his teammates, and when he starts off slow he is unable to change his play to improve his overall effort. Kevin doesn't have the demeanor to be a leader. He isnt mentally tough enough. That doesn't make him a bad player, just a less reliable player.

I believe that if Martin went to another team where he is the 3rd or 4th option coming off the bench, he would be instant offense. As long as you dont rely on him to be a defensive stopper or tough rebounded, then he would be very productive. The other hole in Martin's game is that he isn't very good creating his own shot. He needs screens and good passes to score. He rarely creates his own shot off the dribble because he isn't a very good ball handler. In fact he is a below average ball handler for a shooting guard.

The Kings have several younger players that are getting better and better and would succeed at the 2 guard if they traded Martin. Sure he can score in bunches, but he also gives up a lot of baskets as well. His defense is a liability at best and a terrible hole in the zone at worst. The world would not come to a end if the Kings could trade Martin for a solid Big who could rebound and play defense. That is the Kings biggest weakness at this point and must be addressed before any other issues for this team. They desperately need to patch the 7' sized hole in the middle of their defense so that other teams cant score with the ease they have scored in the Kings recent decline. Hawes is TOO THIN to WIN, and JT is not quite up to speed on the defensive side of things. I am really praying hard for a Center who is build solidly who can defend the paint, show Hawes what it takes to be a center in the NBA, and collect rebounds on the defensive and offensive boards. It they could plug that hole, the Kings have plenty of firepower to win some games THIS YEAR! But the way things are looking, unless someone comes to the Kings with a knockout deal, I can see Petrie standing pat and try to get the big man he needs through the draft like all the other positions he has filled. Either that or wait for the offseason to acquire a free agent center who will fit what the Kings need. The Kings need a defensive oriented center who will rebound the ball. Offense is secondary because the Kings have plenty of scorers. Putting back the occasional rebound or a pass for a layup or hook shot would be all they need from the center positions.

Last edited:
One thing you can say about Grant is that he is opinionated. He rarely changes his opinion and he does have unique incite on the Kings seeing that he travels with them and has more inside info than any other reporter. I dont take everything that Grant says about the team, but I do pay attention to his thoughts about the team, the overall attitude of the team and how the individual players are doing mentally and physically because he is there observing day to day. If Grant says that Martin is mentally weak, it probably is a culmination of many different aspects of Martins game, his off court demeanor, and his attitude toward the coaching staff and other players. Things happen behind the scenes that we are not privy to. I tend to agree with Grant that Kevin isn't what you would call a hard nosed veteran ball player. It seems his game is adversely effected by things not basketball related. Stuff like who he plays with, how he interacts with his teammates, and when he starts off slow he is unable to change his play to improve his overall effort. Kevin doesn't have the demeanor to be a leader. He isnt mentally tough enough. That doesn't make him a bad player, just a less reliable player.

I believe that if Martin went to another team where he is the 3rd or 4th option coming off the bench, he would be instant offense. As long as you dont rely on him to be a defensive stopper or tough rebounded, then he would be very productive. The other hole in Martin's game is that he isn't very good creating his own shot. He needs screens and good passes to score. He rarely creates his own shot off the dribble because he isn't a very good ball handler. In fact he is a below average ball handler for a shooting guard.

The Kings have several younger players that are getting better and better and would succeed at the 2 guard if they traded Martin. Sure he can score in bunches, but he also gives up a lot of baskets as well. His defense is a liability at best and a terrible hole in the zone at worst. The world would not come to a end if the Kings could trade Martin for a solid Big who could rebound and play defense. That is the Kings biggest weakness at this point and must be addressed before any other issues for this team. They desperately need to patch the 7' sized hole in the middle of their defense so that other teams cant score with the ease they have scored in the Kings recent decline. Hawes is TOO THIN to WIN, and JT is not quite up to speed on the defensive side of things. I am really praying hard for a Center who is build solidly who can defend the paint, shot Hawes what it takes to be a center in the NBA, and collect rebounds on the defensive and offensive boards. It they could plug that hole, the Kings have plenty of firepower to win some games THIS YEAR! But the way things are looking, unless someone comes to the Kings with a knockout deal, I can see Petrie standing pat and try to get the big man he needs through the draft like all the other positions he has filled. Either that or wait for the offseason to acquire a free agent center who will fit what the Kings need. The Kings need a defensive oriented center who will rebound the ball. Offense is secondary because the Kings have plenty of scorers. Putting back the occasional rebound or a pass for a layup or hook shot would be all they need from the center positions.
Nice post.

Would you be happy if we landed Kendrick Perkins in a Martin trade?

Don't feel sorry for me. Be worried that I'm right.

Nice post.

Would you be happy if we landed Kendrick Perkins in a Martin trade?
I don't expect Kendrick Perkins to be available from a Championship Contender that needs to keep its size, but he'd definitely be worth looking at if the price was Kevin imho. Would need to know more (Kendrick's age, salary, etc) to be sure though.

The Kings have several younger players that are getting better and better and would succeed at the 2 guard if they traded Martin..
Who?

Beno? Tyreke? Sergio? Cisco? Is a Tyreke/Beno backcourt really something to get excited about?

Donte and Omri are forwards, spot minutes at 2 guard if any.

I'm all for developing the young talent, but in my mind, our young talent is Tyreke, and then forwards and Hawes.

Give examples. That's not the vibe I got while listening for 10 minutes.

Grant made a good point that in large markets Donovan McNabb, who has made several pro bowls, has been booed off the field by his own fans in Philly. That kind of criticism is part of professional sports, and in general it doesn't go down to that degree in Sacramento.

He was talking about Kevin at the time, not McNabb. You must have missed it.

He conveniently took like 5 or 6 callers in a row who all totally kissed his ***. One lady refferred to him as the Simon Cowell of the radio industry. She then went on to say that talk radio would not be the same with out him.. I thought she was about to damn near start crying. So embarrassing.

Any chance of finding a recording of his show online?

Last edited:

Bricklayer

Don't Make Me Use The Bat
Who?

Beno? Tyreke? Sergio? Cisco? Is a Tyreke/Beno backcourt really something to get excited about?

Donte and Omri are forwards, spot minutes at 2 guard if any.

I'm all for developing the young talent, but in my mind, our young talent is Tyreke, and then forwards and Hawes.
Casspi and Greene have actually both played well at the 2.

Capt. Factorial

trifolium contra tempestatem subrigere certum est
Staff member
Casspi and Greene have actually both played well at the 2.
According to the position breakdown at 83games.com (and who knows how accurate their position assignment is):

Omri's offense is similar at SG/SF but is poor at PF, his defense is slightly better at SF. It's certainly fine to play Omri at SG but he might be better at SF.

Greene's offense is pretty close at SG/SF/PF, but his defense at SG has been much worse than SF/PF. In fact Greene's defense is so much better at SF/PF (in points allowed per 100 possessions: 100.4/100.7 as opposed to 111.7 at SG) that we should probably avoid playing him at SG at all.

Greene's offense is pretty close at SG/SF/PF, but his defense at SG has been much worse than SF/PF. In fact Greene's defense is so much better at SF/PF (in points allowed per 100 possessions: 100.4/100.7 as opposed to 111.7 at SG) that we should probably avoid playing him at SG at all.
I remember us moving him down to the 2 to guard Kobe... that might have something to do with it.

Capt. Factorial

trifolium contra tempestatem subrigere certum est
Staff member
I remember us moving him down to the 2 to guard Kobe... that might have something to do with it.
82games thinks he's only logged about 50 minutes at SG - if he did something like 20+ of that against Kobe in our two games against the Lakers that could indeed have a serious negative effect on his SG defense. In those two games Kobe dropped 77 points total, so it may just suggest he can't guard Kobe.

On the other hand, if the majority of the sample IS against Kobe, then there's just not much of anything to tell us how he might do against your average SG. Could be good, could be bad, we just don't know.

Bricklayer

Don't Make Me Use The Bat
82games thinks he's only logged about 50 minutes at SG - if he did something like 20+ of that against Kobe in our two games against the Lakers that could indeed have a serious negative effect on his SG defense. In those two games Kobe dropped 77 points total, so it may just suggest he can't guard Kobe.

On the other hand, if the majority of the sample IS against Kobe, then there's just not much of anything to tell us how he might do against your average SG. Could be good, could be bad, we just don't know.
We actually started him at SG for a stretch of games in late November/early December. ESPN thinks it was for 14 games:

http://sports.espn.go.com/nba/players/splits?playerId=3432

I have never had any idea how 82 games could claim to get those per psoition splits right. How do they determine it? By height? By matchup? What about those times when Donte is guarding the other team's SG, but being guarded by their SF? Its an interesting site with interesting numbers, but so many of them are shaky in their origin.