Tyreke being sued

VF21

Super Moderator Emeritus
SME
This story, which is apparently originally from the Philadelphia Inquirer, was almost predictable.

Sacramento rookie Tyreke Evans and his cousin are amongst four named in a wrongful-death civil suit filed in Delaware County, the Philadelphia Inquirer is reporting.

The family of Marcus Reason, who was killed by Jamar Evans, Tyreke's cousin, in November 2007 in a drive-by shooting, is asking for a judgment in excess of $50,000.

In January 2009, Jamar Evans pleaded guilty to third-degree murder and weapons offenses. He was sentenced to nine to 20 years for murder and other weapons charges. He also received eight years of probation.

Jamar Evans was 16 when he pulled a gun and fired from the passenger side of a Ford Expedition driven by Tyreke Evans.

Tyreke Evans drove off immediately after the gunfire. He was not charged in the crime, and police said he cooperated in their investigation.
BTW? This was all brought out pretty publicly at the time Evans was drafted...

My guess is he'll settle out of court just to make it go away so that it doesn't drag on and become a media circus. Evans WASN'T charged with anything and was fully cooperative with the police during the investigation. This was not his fault.

Last edited:

Bricklayer

Don't Make Me Use The Bat
So they waited 3 ears alter to sue?
3 years later Tyreke had money. ;)

Tyreke's involvement or lack thereof was all vetted and settled years ago. The onyl way this concerns me is by a) any black eye it gives ouor organization; and b) if it becomes a distraction for him.

bajaden

Hall of Famer
Three years ago Tyreke Evans wasn't in the running for rookie of the year. It's all about the $$$.
Yep, you nailed it. Its all about money. Sad that people lower themselves to that level. Thats why we need tort reform in this country. If the accusers had to pay all the costs etc. if they file a suit and lose, they would think a little more seriously about filing the suit.

VF21

Super Moderator Emeritus
SME

Tyreke's involvement or lack thereof was all vetted and settled years ago. The onyl way this concerns me is by a) any black eye it gives ouor organization; and b) if it becomes a distraction for him.
So put your lawyer hat on for a minute...

If Evans is your client, do you advise him just to settle this thing out of court and get it over with?

bajaden

Hall of Famer

I'm not sure how it would give our organization a black eye. I guess there are always people out there looking to make something out of nothing. As far as being a distraction. I would doubt it, but one never knows.

Did his cousin just decide to shoot randomly or was this drive by pre-meditated? I'm
guessing it was just random, other wise Tyreke would be in jail right now rather than lacing them up with us.

This story, which is apparently originally from the Philadelphia Inquirer, was almost predictable.

BTW? This was all brought out pretty publicly at the time Evans was drafted...

My guess is he'll settle out of court just to make it go away so that it doesn't drag on and become a media circus. Evans WASN'T charged with anything and was fully cooperative with the police during the investigation. This was not his fault.
I agree...this will quickly be swept under the rug.

Just an aside...I wonder how they came up with a figure "in excess of $50,000"? Maybe they are simply trying to prove a point. The amount seems insignificant since their lawyers will take a good percentage of the damages, if awarded.

That will mean Tyreke has to go to Philadelphia ? I hope this ends good and fast.

I've always found these kind of for-the-money sues you have there in the States very, very ****y. They aren't serious at all.

Bricklayer

If Evans is your client, do you advise him just to settle this thing out of court and get it over with?
Get it done and out of the way? Sure. Its just a legalized form of extortion -- pay us or we trash your reputation -- and he has the money now and will obviously have much much more in the future. This $50,000 stuff is an absurdly low number to just make it go away. Always be there of course in some reporter's "look at Tyreke" article in 4 years noting that "Evans paid so and so $50,000 in a wrongful death suit stemming from a drive by shooting" but better than having anymore headlines.

Not a lawyer, but I wouldn't settle if I didn't feel I would lose the case. If there's any reason to believe that the courts would find me responsible and order me to pay damages, I'd settle. But if it's clearly a case of some money grubbing weasels essentially trying to extort me, I'd show up in court and fight it. Primarily on principle.

Get it done and out of the way? Sure. Its just a legalized form of extortion -- pay us or we trash your reputation -- and he has the money now and will obviously have much much more in the future. This $50,000 stuff is an absurdly low number to just make it go away. Always be there of course in some reporter's "look at Tyreke" article in 4 years noting that "Evans paid so and so $50,000 in a wrongful death suit stemming from a drive by shooting" but better than having anymore headlines.
If he fights this thing, it could bring up facts in the case that were not made public. Hopefully there isn't any evidence that could make us all say :eek:

That will mean Tyreke has to go to Philadelphia ? I hope this ends good and fast.

I've always found these kind of for-the-money sues you have there in the States very, very ****y. They aren't serious at all.
I don't think he'll have to go to Philly. Atleast not right now, maybe after the season or something. It's not a trial. I don't see why his lawyer couldn't just settle for him. I'm not an expert though.

bajaden

Hall of Famer
I understand wanting to get it out of the way, and 50 grand is probably chump change to get it done. But there are those that will say its an admission of guilt, which to me is worse. I'm not an attorney, but maybe counter suing for defamation of charactor would scare them off.

I understand wanting to get it out of the way, and 50 grand is probably chump change to get it done. But there are those that will say its an admission of guilt, which to me is worse. I'm not an attorney, but maybe counter suing for defamation of charactor would scare them off.
I doubt anyone would consider it an admission of guilt, but I don't think anyone should get my $50,000 just because they are willing to drag me to court. It's extortion.

All of this is about money. It is funny how they waited 3 years to file suit, and isn't it a coincidence that this is coming up now that Tyreke is in the NBA.

Bricklayer

I doubt anyone would consider it an admission of guilt, but I don't think anyone should get my $50,000 just because they are willing to drag me to court. It's extortion.
Principles are nice. But they can also lead to dumbness. If this drags on and gets stinky its worth a hell of a lot more than $50,000 to Tyreke. Probably even in money terms, as it could effect future endorsements. Just make it go away quickly and it will rarely be talked about again. Have it dragged through court grabbing headlines for the next year or two, and it comes to define you.

VF21

Super Moderator Emeritus
SME
Well, either way you slice it, this is bad pub for Tyreke. Comments from readers on the Philly Inquirer website are less than flattering.
I wouldn't be too concerned about comments like that, any more than I pay much attention to the comments posted on the sacbee site.

Principles are nice. But they can also lead to dumbness. If this drags on and gets stinky its worth a hell of a lot more than $50,000 to Tyreke. Probably even in money terms, as it could effect future endorsements. Just make it go away quickly and it will rarely be talked about again. Have it dragged through court grabbing headlines for the next year or two, and it comes to define you.
It just seems so clear to me that this is just a money grabbing attempt. Paying them off is the easy thing to do, and I understand that, and as my lawyer, you'd probably tell me that that's what I should do, but I don't know that I would.

Exactly...unfortunately, a certain guy in purple and gold didn't have his endorsements affected, however I still think about that case everytime I see him on the court. (of course, one of many reasons I hate the guy) Yah, maybe it's better to nip this in the bud.

VF21

Super Moderator Emeritus
SME
It just seems so clear to me that this is just a money grabbing attempt. Paying them off is the easy thing to do, and I understand that, and as my lawyer, you'd probably tell me that that's what I should do, but I don't know that I would.
Put it into perspective as a percentage of his salary for the next three years and all of a sudden $50K is a drop in the bucket. You have them sign a "no disclosure" clause as part of the settlement and it's over with.

It actually did affect his endorsements. His big Nike deal and marketing campaign was essentially put on hold for several years. I believe Sprite and McDonald's dropped him.