Yahoo rumor: Wolves shopping Jefferson

http://sports.yahoo.com/nba/news;_y...aw-jeffersongranger011010&prov=yhoo&type=lgns

So the Wolves supposedly are not enamored with Big Al and offered him to the Pacers for Granger. Considering that Love and him probably cannot share the starting front court long term and he is not a franchise player, that makes sense. I don't have time right now to mess around with the trade machine, but wonder if we could put together a package to pair AJ with Tyreke. Some combination of KMart, JT, top 3 protected 1st round pick, KT, and Garcia (note: I am not saying all of them, but some sort of package from those guys).

AJ would be a good 2nd banana and would be a good defensive PF to pair with Hawes.

Jefferson is anything but a defensive PF. He's kind of like the Kevin Martin of big men.
And you still take him over Kevin Martin. Big always is better than small.

Al is a good offensive PF and arguably the best low post PF in the game but he does have defensive deficiencies thats why we would still need to make a move for a defensive C.

Tetsujin

The Game Thread Dude
And you still take him over Kevin Martin. Big always is better than small.

Al is a good offensive PF and arguably the best low post PF in the game but he does have defensive deficiencies thats why we would still need to make a move for a defensive C.
Exactly. I was simply disputing his claim that Jefferson is a defensive big. I don't know how willing I am to give up K-Mart, a 1st Round Pick, and JT for him though. That seems a little excessive.

If it was K-Mart and Noce for Jefferson (money wouldn't work probably) I would take that deal.

Bricklayer

Don't Make Me Use The Bat
This is very interesting. While I prefer Bosh for his multifacted skills and for lack of a better word "awareness" of his greatness, this report would be the first true sign we've had that one fo the league's big PFs might actually be attainable. I have assumed that Bosh or Boozer mght be because of their FA status, but if Jefferson is actually being shopped, that's a whole other level. That's something we could actually realisticaly start to put together offers for. Their interest in a Granger swap does underline the offer though -- it would be Kevin. They are clearly looking for a major scorer.

Maybe we could swing a Jefferson to Toronto (so they avoid the free agency thing) Bosh to us three way deal. ;)

Last edited:
Martin and Granger are actually very similar except that Granger has better defensive ability. Both are shooter scorers, both have injury concerns, and they're both 26 going on 27. Jefferson would give us a true low post scoring option.

This is very interesting. While I prefer Bosh for his multifacted skills and for lack of a better word "awareness" of his greatness, this report would be the first true sign we've had that one fo the league's big PFs might actually be attainable. I have assumed that Bosh or Boozer mght be because of their FA status, but if Jefferson is actually being shopped, that's a whole other level. That's something we could actually realisticaly start to put together offers for. Their interest in a Granger swap does underline the offer though -- it would be Kevin. They are clearly looking for a major scorer.

Maybe we could swing a Jefferson to Toronto (so they avoid the free agency thing) Bosh to us three way deal. ;)
While I would prefer Bosh as well, big Al would not be a bad compensation either. He is slowly getting back from his issues with the knee but when healthy is a genuine 20/10 PF in the league and one with an excellent low post game.

If we can't get Bosh, Jefferson would be a great compensation IMHO. Whoever we potentially get out of this 2, we still need that defensive C to round out the frontcourt.

This might sound crazy, but I think I'd almost prefer Al Jefferson. Why? Low post scorer! Bosh is a good scorer and all but how do you think things will differ when he's in the Western conf. and in the playoffs against the big boys? Also, Jefferson is about 8 months younger, on a cheaper deal (compared to what Bosh will get which will be a max deal) and we wouldn't have to worry about an extention, not a great shot blocker but a better one than Bosh, and can bang.

This might sound crazy, but I think I'd almost prefer Al Jefferson. Why? Low post scorer! Bosh is a good scorer and all but how do you think things will differ when he's in the Western conf. and in the playoffs against the big boys? Also, Jefferson is about 8 months younger, on a cheaper deal (compared to what Bosh will get which will be a max deal) and we wouldn't have to worry about an extention, not a great shot blocker but a better one than Bosh, and can bang.
And you potentially avoid the "alpha dog" scenario where Bosh might consider Kings his team instead of Tyreke's where as with Al, I don't think that could potentially be an issue.

I would trade Martin for his in a second.

Yea, it does look like the T'Wolves are looking for a scoring wing player. I'd take the rist of trading KMart for Al Jefferson. Rebounding - Check, Low Post Offense - Check, Defense - about what we already have. Both Kmart + Al Jefferson have some injuries in their background so I think that part would be a non-factor. We have a lot of wings (Garcia, Casspi, Greene, Noci, Beno, Udoka) and most of them have the ability to play the 2.

Trade Martin (w/ maybe a little extra who knows) for Jefferson. Then trade k9 plus some young pieces for Okafor.

Okafor
Jefferson
Casspi
draft pick/Greene/Garcia
Evans

That's an eventual title contender if they can stay healthy.

bajaden

Hall of Famer
Well according to ESPN trade checker Martin straight across for Jefferson works. It also saves the Wolves 2 mil in salary. If I had to choose between Granger and Martin, I would choose Granger. No offense to Martin, but Granger has more all around game. But I doubt that the Pacers would trade Granger. Even for Jefferson. And as much as I would like to see how Martin and Evans play together, I would do this trade.

The downside of Jefferson though is that the ball tends to stop when you go into him (not a good passer) and he's pretty much crap on defense.

Bricklayer

Don't Make Me Use The Bat
The downside of Jefferson though is that the ball tends to stop when you go into him (not a good passer) and he's pretty much crap on defense.

Yes -- ball has a tendency to die there. Blackhole effect. Not to mention that being a pure or purish post scorer also potentiallly puts him in between Reke and the hoop, and he does not have Bosh's lethal step out jumper to take advantage of drive and kicks.

But I mentioend earlier in the season if Bosh was not available, Jefferson would be one of only a handful of acceptable alternatives. And if you could get it done more or less for Kevin alone, it leaves both our young bigs and all of our other young personnel on the team. Baiscally, he's cheap. And you still have KTs ender to try to stir something else up with as well.

Last edited:
Jefferson is anything but a defensive PF. He's kind of like the Kevin Martin of big men.

Hmmm, I may be wrong here, but I was always under the impression that Jefferson was a good defender when he plays PF. The problem with him is that he is 6'9''ish and has been forced to play Center for the Wolves. At Center he is underwhelming defensively. However, on our team he could shift back to his natural position.

Tetsujin

The Game Thread Dude
Trade Martin (w/ maybe a little extra who knows) for Jefferson. Then trade k9 plus some young pieces for Okafor.

Okafor
Jefferson
Casspi
draft pick/Greene/Garcia
Evans

That's an eventual title contender if they can stay healthy.
The problem with this is that we still will have to eventually pay 'Reke, Donte, and Casspi as well as anybody else we pick up in the future and with Okafor's contract as big as it is coupled with Jeffie-boy's contract, that will be harder to do. But that's in the future and maybe I'm just being nitpicky. In the short term, it'd be a pretty good line-up, although we'd go back to having a relatively undersized frontline (Okafor 6'10", Jefferson a short 6'9"). Our SG would potentially be taller than our bigs:eek:

The problem with this is that we still will have to eventually pay 'Reke, Donte, and Casspi as well as anybody else we pick up in the future and with Okafor's contract as big as it is coupled with Jeffie-boy's contract, that will be harder to do. But that's in the future and maybe I'm just being nitpicky. In the short term, it'd be a pretty good line-up, although we'd go back to having a relatively undersized frontline (Okafor 6'10", Jefferson a short 6'9"). Our SG would potentially be taller than our bigs:eek:
I'm actually not sure how this team would work. Okafor and Jefferson are both big men who operate in the paint and don't pass much. You can live with one of them. However, considering our O is and will likely continue to be based around Reke's ability to create off of the dribble, I'm not sure we want two bigs who need the ball close to the hoop.

Tetsujin

The Game Thread Dude
I'm actually not sure how this team would work. Okafor and Jefferson are both big men who operate in the paint and don't pass much. You can live with one of them. However, considering our O is and will likely continue to be based around Reke's ability to create off of the dribble, I'm not sure we want two bigs who need the ball close to the hoop.
I agree here. I think that if I had to choose one to acquire, it would be Okafor because he is better defensively than Jefferson and could provide that stopper inside that we've been clamoring for. The big problem with him is the monsterous contract he has.

This is a tough one, my heart says yes. I saw him 'grow up' in Boston and was a little sad to see him go, hes a great guy. My one big issue with him is his defense. He truly is the Kmart of big men. Even Thompson is a better defender ( If you discount Thompsons foul issues ). Another way to put it is that he is Zach Randolph that isnt crazy.

He's a dynamic inside scorer. He has Hawes like post moves and isnt afraid to use them. That being said, his knee injurys scare me, a lot. There is a reason the Wolves are open to dealing him, they realize you cant have two bad defensive big men that are undersized in the game at the same time. We trade for Jefferson and thats exactly what we'll have.

Is he more injury prone than Kmart? probly not. Kmart gets hurt all the time, but its little stuff .. Jefferson has been hurt a few times but badly. Which is worse? i dont know.

I guess my final verdict is that if the deal is Kmart + something useless than yea, go for it. But if were expected to part with something useful in addition to Martin I say no. The most I give them is Martin and Hawes, and even then I want a little something back ... maybe the option to trade first round picks.

This is a tough one, my heart says yes. I saw him 'grow up' in Boston and was a little sad to see him go, hes a great guy. My one big issue with him is his defense. He truly is the Kmart of big men. Even Thompson is a better defender ( If you discount Thompsons foul issues ). Another way to put it is that he is Zach Randolph that isnt crazy.

He's a dynamic inside scorer. He has Hawes like post moves and isnt afraid to use them. That being said, his knee injurys scare me, a lot. There is a reason the Wolves are open to dealing him, they realize you cant have two bad defensive big men that are undersized in the game at the same time. We trade for Jefferson and thats exactly what we'll have.

Is he more injury prone than Kmart? probly not. Kmart gets hurt all the time, but its little stuff .. Jefferson has been hurt a few times but badly. Which is worse? i dont know.

I guess my final verdict is that if the deal is Kmart + something useless than yea, go for it. But if were expected to part with something useful in addition to Martin I say no. The most I give them is Martin and Hawes, and even then I want a little something back ... maybe the option to trade first round picks.
I agree with everything said here.

I like this better. If we are to get a big man with good offense and limited defense, might as well get the more athletic one.
I would be down, but we would have to have a commitment from Bosh to resign with us. If he has his heart set on New York or Miami, it would be pointless for us to burn an asset like Martin for a half season rental. That's why I was intrigued with Jefferson. A lot of the bigs who have been/might be on the market (Bosh, Amare) are there because of impending free agency. Jefferson is locked up for a couple of more years and cheaper.

And despite the debatable D that a Jefferson/Hawes front line would play, I'm not sure they would not have the potential to be at least as good as the Webber/Divac front line. Those two were both known individually as mediocre defenders; however, as a unit, the 2002 Kings in particular played great D. With Reke/Greene/Casspi's defensive potential, we would just want to acquire a defenvise, shot blocking backup big who could play 4/5 and play alongside those two.