Monarchs FOLD =(

I'll post some other thoughts on the Monarchs later....

But to the Kings fans consoling Monarchs by telling us how impractical a third car is in this economy....I'll suggest taping Joe and Gavin's assurances that they are invested in making Sacramento work for the long haul and have patience and whatnot to your mirror. So when they suddenly reverse course and that team is gone too, you can be reminded re: how expensive an extra car is.

Monarchs fans were told that Momma Maloof would never let them get out of the WNBA because she and her boys were so completely invested in it for the long haul.

I dont know what to really think of this...it is really sad, and I do agree with Brick...Just how much does it take to run a WNBA team, especially when they've been the only team to ever win a championship in your arena?? For what it's worth, I was at the very first Monarch's game back in 1997 I believe it was, against Rebecca Lobo and the NY/NJ Liberty, and was at the Championship game in 2005 when they won it all...I dont know what to think really, I wasnt a HUGE fan, but was a fan. I probably have no reason to follow the WNBA now, unfortunately...and I'm sure I'm not the only one. It's all about my home town, Sacramento. If something just folds, or picks up and leaves...they are dead to me. If the Kings, God forbid, leave in the near future because of arena issues, the NBA will be dead to me as well. God speed to the Monarchs where ever they land up.

edit: at least I hope that whatever city gets the team that they change the team name in respect to all the fans here in Sacramento for the past 13 seasons...those memories are property of the people and city of Sacramento, thank you.

Last edited:
I'll post some other thoughts on the Monarchs later....

But to the Kings fans consoling Monarchs by telling us how impractical a third car is in this economy....I'll suggest taping Joe and Gavin's assurances that they are invested in making Sacramento work for the long haul and have patience and whatnot to your mirror. So when they suddenly reverse course and that team is gone too, you can be reminded re: how expensive an extra car is.

Monarchs fans were told that Momma Maloof would never let them get out of the WNBA because she and her boys were so completely invested in it for the long haul.
I understand feeling ... betrayed ... but you're talking about an ailing franchise in an ailing league. As sudden as the news is, I can't imagine that it was truly surprising to anyone who was paying attention. It really sucks for the city of Sacramento to lose their WNBA team, and it would really suck for them to lose the Kings, but it's a business decision at the end of the day. And, in the case of the Monarchs, the writing was on the wall. There may be a finger appearing for the Kings, too, but it was/is pretty obvious that the Kings were/are higher on the Maloofs list of priorities than the Monarchs were.

And I'm sorry if I come across as callous or even condescending. I know it's an emotional time for a lot of people. I'm not a WNBA fan in the least, but I was happy for the Monarchs and the Maloofs when they won the championship a few years back. It's really a horrible thing for your team to just go away. But I don't think the Maloofs wanted to do this. Your comment above shows that they were resistant to the idea.

I understand feeling ... betrayed ... but you're talking about an ailing franchise in an ailing league. As sudden as the news is, I can't imagine that it was truly surprising to anyone who was paying attention. It really sucks for the city of Sacramento to lose their WNBA team, and it would really suck for them to lose the Kings, but it's a business decision at the end of the day. And, in the case of the Monarchs, the writing was on the wall. There may be a finger appearing for the Kings, too, but it was/is pretty obvious that the Kings were/are higher on the Maloofs list of priorities than the Monarchs were.

And I'm sorry if I come across as callous or even condescending. I know it's an emotional time for a lot of people. I'm not a WNBA fan in the least, but I was happy for the Monarchs and the Maloofs when they won the championship a few years back. It's really a horrible thing for your team to just go away. But I don't think the Maloofs wanted to do this. Your comment above shows that they were resistant to the idea.
That's all I was saying, this financial decision isn't in insolation. I do believe it was a difficult one for them to have made. Of all the things I fault them for on this, I don't fault that it was made for business reasons.

But for people who don't follow the league or this franchise to suggest that the money it took to operate the Monarchs was bleeding them dry is what I was reacting to.

I hope they do get the Kings back to where they want them to be and all the fans go back, so this death wasn't in vain.

I hate to say it, but if this move is going to somehow make the Kings more competitive by freeing up some cash for FA or trade to make them a better team, then I rather have that.

It's never a good thing for a city to lose a sports franchise. I was never a fan, but for those that are at least they wont' be far away. It sounds like they are getting re-located to the bay area (San Jose possibly) by new owners. There are talks going on right now with potential new owners.

I hate to say it, but if this move is going to somehow make the Kings more competitive by freeing up some cash for FA or trade to make them a better team, then I rather have that.
Steve, if you look at the amount of money the Monarchs would have spent on just salaries this season...come back and tell me how much of a difference that was going to make.

The Monarchs died because the Kings are on life support. I suspect they won't come off life support until they get a new building. If they needed everybody focused on the Kings right now?

Damn. I hope they keep the team intact and just relocate them. At least they would be worth cheering for.

Things must be really bad for the MS&E. although, really, I don't think this helps the Kings much. A WNBA franchise costs like a small fraction of an NBA team. Even smaller since they have the arena already.

Steve, if you look at the amount of money the Monarchs would have spent on just salaries this season...come back and tell me how much of a difference that was going to make.

Monty, you're right and it's probably insignficant amount compared to any of the players on the Kings. I'd imagine salaries (1 million) + other operating costs. Maybe 3-4 million a year to keep a franchise? Possibly, they make 1-2 million on tickets. So it could be a net loss of 1-2 million a year I assume. It's not a lot compared to a KT contract, but if you look at Maloofs position, you can operate a WNBA team if your #1 horse(Kings) is operating at a profit to pay for the Monarchs. But if the Kings are likely to be losing, then that income stream is not there to support this and you look at other areas. This is Really Really tough though

It doesn't change the financial picture at all for free agency or NBA-related salary cap or luxury cap limits. It frees up some money for operations and non-player personnel and operating costs.

They have been clearly cutting everything they can find for some time now. Fired Kozimor, eliminated pre-game, half-time and post-game TV broadcasts. Eliminated braodcasting pre-season games. And more.

Also, its not just eliminating the costs associated with the Monarchs. This move will open up the arena for booking events that may draw more paying customers than the Monarchs.

I loved the Monarchs and I love the Kings. I'm really down about this, I hoped this would never happen, but the economic signs were there to see. I am positive this was a very hard decision for the Maloofs.

But even those here who are home-town Kings fans better heed the signs. We get closer every day to losing the Kings, too and along with an arena for lots of other events.

Monty, you're right and it's probably insignficant amount compared to any of the players on the Kings. I'd imagine salaries (1 million) + other operating costs. Maybe 3-4 million a year to keep a franchise? Possibly, they make 1-2 million on tickets. So it could be a net loss of 1-2 million a year I assume. It's not a lot compared to a KT contract, but if you look at Maloofs position, you can operate a WNBA team if your #1 horse(Kings) is operating at a profit to pay for the Monarchs. But if the Kings are likely to be losing, then that income stream is not there to support this and you look at other areas. This is Really Really tough though
Yes compared to Thomas' contract, you could float 13 leagues, let alone WNBA franchises.

The Monarchs salaries were less than a million per season. Their overhead costs were relatively minimal if you consider they use back office staff for not only the Kings and Monarchs but also their ARCO event sales. The front office had little cross over, so again, the savings is minimal.

One of the Maloof brothers said a few years ago that you could break even in the WNBA with 6k in the building each night. The Monarchs I don't believe ever dipped below that since they owned them. They reportedly last turned a profit on the Ms side of the building I believe in 2008 maybe 2007..but I'm pretty sure they were in the black in 2008 because I believe it was reported as "modest" profit compared to seasons when they had deeper playoff runs. And all sports leagues tanked this year.

This after winning the 2nd slot in the lottery!

I was really pumped about getting the 2nd best player in what should a be very strong draft at that level. Damn!
I sure hope they wind up in the east bay. We are from Fairfield and used to commute to every San Jose Laser game so we would keep supporting our women.

:(Feeling very low tonight & the void of not having the Monarchs in SacTown is starting to set in...
I will miss my team, the fans, the posse, the gatherings after games..win or lose... We were like a family. We really had passion for our team & the game. I really hope they can stay together, close to SacTown. Fans will have many roadtrips & the support will be there always!
Thanks for the years of enjoyment fellow fans & Monarchs.
Looks like my streak, of never missing a MONARCHS HOME GAME since 1997 has come to an end...the curtain is closing.

Should we be dissapointed? Yes... Should be angry at the Maloofs... No... If they had to do something as drastic as this, then it was necessary. Its not like they just brought it up in a meeting to save money one day. This is sad news, but to keep the Kings here... what has to be done, has to be done.

Would've been nice to have a group maybe stake part ownership with the Maloofs so that we could've kept them in sactown. sigh. Maybe this is a sign of deeper troubles in the WNBA that outsiders don't see.

I was planning to take my little girl to see the Monarchs this year or next. She's always so impressed when she sees that girls can do things like play professional basketball.

I'm a musician myself and I'm working to make sure that she knows she can be a musician too by making sure she sees female musicians. But the thing is, I only show her female musicians that I think are great, by any measure.

I have a lot of respect for the WNBA players and staff, but I think the game is weak. It's slow and dull, and the fact that they have such "great fundamentals" is no consolation.

If it were up to me I 'd lower the basket and knock a few seconds off the shot clock. That would make the game a lot more exciting. A good part of the fun of watching basketball is seeing the players attack the rim. If that doesn't happen it's not as good a game. It would be great to see more women dunk, but that ain't going to happen with a 10 foot high hoop.
And finally, drop the guilt aspect in the marketing. Tell me why I should watch the game rather than try to make me feel bad because I'm dismissing the talents of the female players.

The WNBA has to more than an esteem booster for women, it has to be interesting to watch for a large audience. It is not right now, and the sad thing is that it is a problem that can probably be fixed.

Is WNBA's Monarchs bound for Oakland?
An Oakland councilwoman said Friday talks are under way with WNBA officials to relocate the Sacramento Monarchs to Oracle Arena.
"They are very serious about this," said Councilwoman Rebecca Kaplan, who has been pushing the idea to have a team based in Oakland.

Greg Jamison, CEO of Silicon Valley Sports & Entertainment that operates the Sharks and HP Pavilion, issued a statement saying he hasn't had discussions with WNBA officials to bring a team to San Jose.

If they move to Oakland, I wonder if alot of the players will just continue to live here in Sacramento, beings that's it's so close?

Edit: I stll hope they change the team's name though.

Last edited:
If they move to Oakland, I wonder if alot of the players will just continue to live here in Sacramento, beings that's it's so close?

Edit: I stll hope they change the team's name though.
Well, of course if they are going to relocate, they are going to have to change the team name. It won't be "Sacramento" Monarch's.

6th

Homer Fan Since 1985
Well, of course if they are going to relocate, they are going to have to change the team name. It won't be "Sacramento" Monarch's.

True, Rock, but I think he is talking about the Monarchs moniker. That goes with our Kings/Royals and some want to keep that.

6th

Homer Fan Since 1985
Posted on Twitter by Donna Orender (11/22):

A big thks to all of our Sacramento fans, u have brought so much to the league. Hope to keep the team in the bay area - we're working at it

6th

Homer Fan Since 1985
I'm not happy that non fans of the Monarchs, or the WNBA for that matter, have come here to poke sticks at the women's game while we are vulnerable. This is a painful experience for any fan of any sports team. Having said that, it is not okay to name-call and attack other members at Kingfans.com. Be careful where you go with this.

I feel for you guys and will miss going to games with you, 6th, and meeting up after the games with the posse. :(
Hoping they can keep the team together.

VF21

Super Moderator Emeritus
SME
One of the main rules of Kingsfans.com has always been "don't be a jerk." Apparently, at least one person can't read or doesn't think it applies in this situation.

NEWS BRIEF: It DOES apply in this situation. Certain people who have their own radio shows are free to say whatever they like on said radio shows. It doesn't carry over to here. For that reason, a couple of posts have been deleted.