Monarchs FOLD =(

WTF

SACRAMENTO, CA - News10 has confirmed the Sacramento Monarchs
women's basketball team has folded effective Friday morning.
News10's Bryan May spoke with the team's General Manager John Whisenant who confirmed the team has folded. He said team officials were working to possibly move the team to the Bay area.
A company spokesman said more information would be issued around 12 p.m.

pdxKingsFan

So Ordinary That It's Truly Quite Extraordinary
Staff member
Shocking. My condolences to the fans here who are very dedicated to supporting the Monarchs. While I was never much of a WNBA fan this is very disappointing news to me.

Never watched the WNBA but that sucks big time. Didn't the Monarchs win a championship not to long ago?
2005 It was wonderful.

Considering how clear it was that the Maloofs are seriously suffering financially, I guess it shouldn't be a surprise. I hoped against hope it wouldn't come to this, but I can't say I'm shocked. Just very, very sad. :(

more news

Sacramento, November 20, 2009 The WNBA is in active discussions with potential investors to relocate the Sacramento Monarchs to the Bay Area in time for the start of the 2010 WNBA season, league President Donna Orender announced today. Going forward, Maloof Sports & Entertainment will no longer operate the Monarchs.
"The Bay Area has been a desirable market for the WNBA and the availability of the Monarchs provides an opportunity to move a well-known franchise and broaden its fan base within Northern California," said Orender. "Maloof Sports & Entertainment, owner of the Monarchs, has deemed it essential to focus all of its resources on the Sacramento Kings at this time. We understand this decision was a difficult one for them and appreciate the vision, leadership, and support of the Maloof family over the past 10 years.
"The Maloofs have shown a passion for women’s basketball and seen the WNBA as great entertainment that has a positive impact on the way society views women and sports. They take great pride in the Monarchs’ players, both for their contributions on the court and in the Sacramento community."
One of the league’s original eight teams in 1997, the Monarchs won the WNBA championship in 2005 and the Western Conference crown in 2006. Featuring former Stanford player and WNBA All-Star Nicole Powell, Olympic gold-medalist and WNBA All-Star Kara Lawson, and Piedmont, Calif. standout Courtney Paris, the team also holds the second pick in the 2010 WNBA Draft.>
"We enjoyed our time with the WNBA and the Monarchs," said co-owner Joe Maloof. "We are extremely proud of an amazing run that included six straight playoff appearances and the 2005 WNBA Championship. All of our resources are now dedicated to bringing the Sacramento Kings back to championship caliber form."

6th

Homer Fan Since 1985
Damn!!!! I don't know what to say. I am angry, hurt, sad, and have a plethora of emotions running through me.

I have been a Kings fan since 1985. But, it wasn't until the Monarchs came to Sacramento in 1997 that I became as involved as I am in the ventures of Maloof Sports and Entertainment.

I attend as many Kings games as I can afford. I have been a season ticket holder of the Monarchs since 1998. And, I have arranged for many groups to attend events such as Disney On Ice, Monster Jam, the Circus, Harlem Globetrotters........and I could go on and on.

I am so torn. While I love my Kings, I am pissed as hell at the Maloofs that they are taking away the women's game. I'm not sure at what level I can continue to support them. Time will tell.

All of our resources are now dedicated to bringing the Sacramento Kings back to championship caliber form."

Good freaking luck with that.....:mad:

WTF? I honestly thought it was a joke at first. I can't say I'm necessarily surprised, but I don't recall there being any warning signs specifically for the Monarchs. I'm hoping they stay intact and do move the Bay Area.

Thank you ladies for all the memories and of course the 2005 WNBA championship! Even if you move to another team, you will always be Monarchs at heart!!

Oh wait, "back to championship form", what the hell are they talking about....they haven't been to the championship dance before so shut the hell up.....

Bricklayer

Don't Make Me Use The Bat
Wow. And the reason given too -- just how much are the Maloofs hurting here? If you are an NBA team, and you already have the arena, how much does it take to run a WNBA franchise anyway? How much were they losing a year on it?

Not sure what to think.

Am I surprised????

No... I looked in the stands and knew that there had to be a quick turn around or else.
Am I upset?
Yeah... I'm upset.
I am upset because 2 outfits had showed interest in the WNBA this past season in the Bay Area to which Donna Said "Talk to the Hand" it would infringe on the Sacramento Market. To which they said Sac doesn't have a market in the Bay anymore. Those who want to go can't justify the money necessary to get there.

Now the Maloof in a crap-*** move to move the Kings or get their stadium Ax their only Championship team. Even More reason to move business interest away from vanity ownership in the NBA to independent ownership with strong business plan and even stronger markets.

What bugs me even worse, is that they could have put out some warning signs. And they damn sure could have worked harder to secure a new owner in the Bay Area. Where they could have had partial ownership, and allowed the full ownership take over in 2011. Like I said Crap-*** move.

So Much for the dedicated Ownership of the Maloofs.

This is very disappointing, but not at all surprising.

The combination of the economic downturn in a small market and the fact that the WNBA does not have wide fan appeal were too much to continue apparently. There just are not enough women’s basketball fans in this area to sustain a profitable operation. And, as I said a while back here, there were not enough changes made to the game to make it appeal to most male fans (who are not really basketball “purists”), and that is key to the game’s future survival.

I am sorry to see them go, as I have been a fan over the years and attended a lot of games, including the very first against NY and the most in 2005 when they won the title. I still have the championship commemorative piece I had made hanging in my den. And I will always have fond memories of many, many, many great Monarchs moments, performances, and games that I was privileged to witness.

6th

Homer Fan Since 1985
I called my rep, and to no surprise, got a voice mail message. I'm sure they will be inundated with calls. For all I know, our reps have already been axed as well. Although I do know, our reps have been working hard on the Kings side of the house.

BTW, anyone have any idea if the bus trip to the Stanford/Tennessee games, by Monarchs fans, is gonna take place? Geez! So much to think about.

6th

Homer Fan Since 1985
Several message on Twitter from Monarchs players. Here are two of the ones posted by Ticha:

This is a very sad day!! I'm appauled, distraught, speechless...I have been with the Monarchs for 12 years...and today it came to an end!!

and

Thank you Sacramento for all of your support!! You were the best fans in the WNBA!! We will miss you dearly!!

6th

Homer Fan Since 1985
and from DeMya:

This is a sad sad sad day!!!! Im going to miss Sacramento soooo much! Its my home. My teammates, coaches, and fans 2 words Simply Amazing!!

and

7 years in purple & white 2 end like this I hv no words...Zachara will truly miss her adopted aunts!! tears of sadness today. rain go away!

Oh wait, "back to championship form", what the hell are they talking about....they haven't been to the championship dance before so shut the hell up.....
Doesn't exactly change the fact that they didn't feel the Monarchs were financially viable. And when you consider how much pain the WNBA has been in for a long time, and has lost a total of six franchises, it doesn't bode well for the league as a whole. It's not surprising to see any team fold, really.

CruzDude

Senior Member sharing a brew with bajaden
As sad as this is, business is business and the Maloofs had likely been losing money with the Monarchs almost every year. Now with the economy being in the tank, their Las Vegas business's suffering badly and the Kings bleeding money, it was purely a business decision no matter how sad and surprising. The luxury of having a really nice third car is just not practical in this economy. I'm truly saddened and will miss the Monarchs. :(

I'm holding hope for an East Bay team, but suspect San Jose is the target location. That's too long a commute for a week night game, but weekends are do-able.

I just hope they can hold the team intact, and not send them to the four winds in a dispersal draft.

MONARCHS -- Going, going, gone... :-(

6th

Homer Fan Since 1985
The players continue to tweet. Ticha is having a real hard time with it. She says:

Your words of encouragement are truly appreciated!! Today is one of the saddest days of my life!! Sacramento is crying along with all of us!

Rebekkah posted from Italy:

I hear that The city of Sac is crying today. there are def clouds over head..

I was not a Monarchs fan but it is very sad. Sorry to you Monarch fans. But I don't see how anyone can be surprised or even mad at the Maloofs. C'mon look at the world. This economy is in the crapper, everyone knows the Maloofs are not doing well, even Vegas is not doing well so they must be not making as much at the Palms either. Add in that the WNBA is just not a main attraction and I am not surprised one bit. I mean you see how the Kings can't even get fans in the seat, imagine how bad it would be for the Monarchs when this season starts.

I'm holding hope for an East Bay team, but suspect San Jose is the target location. That's too long a commute for a week night game, but weekends are do-able.
:(:(. I don't know what else to say. I wish the ladies the best!!! For 13 seasons the Monarchs brought a lot of summer fun in my family, that was entertaining, affordable and will be missed. I have been a season ticket holder since 2003, and I admit I am shocked and surprised. The Maloofs were very loyal to that "third car"; but it was a third car none the less that was broken. And though I understand the times we are living in, it doesn't make it hurt any less.

I am not one for following the team where they go. Especially not dowm to the Bay Area. If they relocate the team to Oakland or San Francisco, they will never embrace theis team the way Sacramento did.

I am done!! I live in Sacramento, I embrace Sacramento Basketball, not Oakland, not San Francisco. Best wishes to the players and I have what is most important... THE MEMORIES!!!:)

Doesn't exactly change the fact that they didn't feel the Monarchs were financially viable. And when you consider how much pain the WNBA has been in for a long time, and has lost a total of six franchises, it doesn't bode well for the league as a whole. It's not surprising to see any team fold, really.
You speak logic at an emotional time... foolish mortal...

I know what everyone is getting for Christmas... Monarchs gear! An awesome throwback to a team we loved.

The economy killed the Monarchs. The Maloofs, no matter what you say, no matter how many games they attend, are business people. They will make the most financially prodent decisions 99% of the time. If they were losing money on the Monarchs and they didn't sell, but later lost the Kings and or other assets like the Palms, wouldn't that be worse? At least in their perspective?

Sad day, I understand it, but I do not like it.